Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Date: October 1, 2023 12:38

UrbanSteel
nonfilter
Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. This is a very special moment in time. Don’t miss it by focusing on or arguing about tiny details that you think could have been done in a slightly different way to improve things minimally. This is our favorite band delivering greatness.

Hallelujah, or hosanna, Whichever is highest, to this post.
I was out on Friday night, having heard the sound of heaven a few times, and walking through town, that second climax of the song was just going round and round my head, and hearing it closely, the is so much detail so much that gets unfolded and revealed, in a way I can't recall with previous Stones songs, certainly in recent decades.
It's as good as anything they have ever done, and that's saying something. Hallelujah!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 12:44

Lady gaga is an exceptional performer and sorry, but she didn't wait for the Stones to become one.

Why do we always have to read posts with "never" and "ever" ? smiling smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-01 12:46 by powerage78.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 12:54

The song moves me and I really love Wonder’s parts: after 40(!) of Chuck Leavell, we finally get great keyboards again.
Last, I love to believe they were altogether in the studio: what a great atmosphere there must have been..
Best thrills since ‘Waiting On A Friend’ here

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: October 1, 2023 14:24

the song reminds me on ronnie's "i gotta see" ...
[www.youtube.com]
and i miss a guitar solo in it

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: October 1, 2023 15:09

My IORR is back! With this song we have a comeback a huge strong comeback of the positive power of this board. The enormous majority of unfrustrated, glass is half full, true believers in the fact that you can progress on and on if you let yourself go - they are here. And in fact, they never left, they just didn‘t take part in all those meantime threads about Mick‘s knee or which key Keith played on his third solo gig. But the matter of a new song, a pearl like this one, released them all. The real IORR army is present again. And it feels good. Don‘t mind the few Waldorf & Stadlers here. They simply belong to the show. Our show. And like the Stones we deliver a great one since Angry and Sweet Sounds came out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-01 15:13 by caschimann.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 1, 2023 15:27

caschimann
My IORR is back! With this song we have a comeback a huge strong comeback of the positive power of this board. The enormous majority of unfrustrated, glass is half full, true believers in the fact that you can progress on and on if you let yourself go - they are here. And in fact, they never left, they just didn‘t take part in all those meantime threads about Mick‘s knee or which key Keith played on his third solo gig. But the matter of a new song, a pearl like this one, released them all. The real IORR army is present again. And it feels good. Don‘t mind the few Waldorf & Stadlers here. They simply belong to the show. Our show. And like the Stones we deliver a great one since Angry and Sweet Sounds came out.

Wise words, Amen.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 15:33

The song is pure gold. Let’s hope we get to see both Angry and Sweet Sounds of Heaven live!

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 1, 2023 16:17

One aspect that struck me with both Angry and Sweet Sounds is, that Jagger sounds pretty strong. The way he sounds on Tattoo You comes to mind immediately.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 1, 2023 16:27

caschimann

Yeah, so right. If only because it adds to our amusement watching them ridiculing themselves over and over again!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 1, 2023 16:33

SomeGuy
One aspect that struck me with both Angry and Sweet Sounds is, that Jagger sounds pretty strong. The way he sounds on Tattoo You comes to mind immediately.

"Inspiration" and "confidence" are the magic words here. For musicians, these usually derive from the feeling that the material you're recording is great. Bodes well for the album as a whole!

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 17:12

HardRiffin
DandelionPowderman
nonfilter
This song is really blowing me away! Soul! I’m not interested in any critiques of how high Mick’s voice is in the mix, how some other female could’ve done it better than Gaga, how Steve Jordan didn’t drum it as good as Charlie would have…this is The Rolling Stones right now and they sound as powerful and spine chilling as they’ve ever sounded! I don’t hear guitars buried in the mix, I hear beautiful, unique guitar parts from Keith and Ronnie that subtly fit the song then get heavier as the song builds to its climax! I don’t hear an imitation of The Black Crowes. I hear my favorite band (and The Black Crowes’s favorite band, obviously) doing what they can instinctively do better than any imitator could ever do! I don’t hear a new version of an Otis Redding cover off of a bootleg of outtakes from the last couple of decades. I hear my favorite band harnessing the power and soul of one of their favorite styles of music and doing it in a way that only they could ever do it! That’s why they are so good on Otis Redding covers. It is why they are so good on Chuck Berry covers. If embracing a particular beat and style, and creating a groove and melody around that beat and style, and writing lyrics to that melody and recording that combination of chords, melody, and lyrics very loosely with great passion means you are just remaking another song, then, hardly anyone has ever written an original song.

This song is truly glorious! Gaga does an amazing job! She obviously totally loses herself in the performance! She has NEVER sang like this before! She does flub a couple of words, and that makes it sooooooo much better in this age of “perfect” autotuned vocals. This is a “real” recording! She has said as much in an interview that I can’t re-find to quote. She was talking about how cutting a track with the whole band playing live is an anomaly in this day and age. Steve isn’t Charlie. Nobody is. But Charlie is no longer available to do what he did better than anyone ever, so Steve is doing an amazing job allowing Mick and Keith to continue doing what they can do better than any imitators could ever get close to doing! And Steve is quite amazing himself! I honestly hated the idea of Andrew Watt producing when I first heard about it. Then I saw the credits from ASCAP showing he was a cowriter on 3 songs and became REALLY discouraged. But, these first two singles have made a believer out of me. He must be a true fan, who really knows their real talents, the things they can do that give you chills, the things that no other band can even come close to doing, and had the balls to tell them! I’ve read in different places that either Keith or Andrew played bass on this song. If it is Keith, it is abnormally restrained for him, but it fits the song well. If it is Andy, then my compliments Mr. Watt. It fits the song well.

I won’t even get started on Stevie Wonder! Best choice available today! Nicky and Billy aren’t available, so who would’ve thought of calling this guy??? I’m ecstatic that they did! He is absolutely BRILLIANT!! Back to the guitar work, at first listen, in my car, the second it was released on Spotify, I had a little trouble picking out what the guitars were playing. Each listen gave me more insight. Then, I got home and listened on better speakers and was brought to my knees by the guitar exchanges! This is true Keith and Ronnie interplay at its best! Keith is even doing the subtle one string lead lines, then hitting that razor sharp hard chord on the beat like he did in his absolute prime. Breathtaking stuff to say the least! Ronnie is playing perfect soul licks throughout, but my favorite part is when he almost goes into a different key to hit a couple of Berryesque double stops where they wouldn’t even seem to fit. This is the beauty of a living breathing band recording a song as a band.

And Mick Jagger. He is timeless. This is Mick doing what he was born to do. His delivery is sublime and flawless. Nobody can sing like this. Never could before, and never will. This isn’t Mick chasing pop music trends. It isn’t Mick trying to sound current. This is just Mick Jagger. And it is perfect. It’s everything he ever should be. Nobody can adlib lyrics like Mick Jagger when they run out of words on their lyric sheet. I loved it from the very beginning, but he totally slaughtered me when he hit the falsetto in the call and response with Gaga toward the end.

Ladies and Gentlemen. The Rolling Stones. This is a very special moment in time. Don’t miss it by focusing on or arguing about tiny details that you think could have been done in a slightly different way to improve things minimally. This is our favorite band delivering greatness.

thumbs up

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 17:14

Shawn20
The song is pure gold. Let’s hope we get to see both Angry and Sweet Sounds of Heaven live!

Oh yes!!

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: October 1, 2023 17:41

nonfilter
This song is really blowing me away! Soul! I’m not interested in any critiques of how high Mick’s voice is in the mix, how some other female could’ve done it better than Gaga, how Steve Jordan didn’t drum it as good as Charlie would have…this is The Rolling Stones right now and they sound as powerful and spine chilling as they’ve ever sounded! I don’t hear guitars buried in the mix, I hear beautiful, unique guitar parts from Keith and Ronnie that subtly fit the song then get heavier as the song builds to its climax! I don’t hear an imitation of The Black Crowes. I hear my favorite band (and The Black Crowes’s favorite band, obviously) doing what they can instinctively do better than any imitator could ever do! I don’t hear a new version of an Otis Redding cover off of a bootleg of outtakes from the last couple of decades. I hear my favorite band harnessing the power and soul of one of their favorite styles of music and doing it in a way that only they could ever do it! That’s why they are so good on Otis Redding covers. It is why they are so good on Chuck Berry covers. If embracing a particular beat and style, and creating a groove and melody around that beat and style, and writing lyrics to that melody and recording that combination of chords, melody, and lyrics very loosely with great passion means you are just remaking another song, then, hardly anyone has ever written an original song.

This song is truly glorious! Gaga does an amazing job! She obviously totally loses herself in the performance! She has NEVER sang like this before! She does flub a couple of words, and that makes it sooooooo much better in this age of “perfect” autotuned vocals. This is a “real” recording! She has said as much in an interview that I can’t re-find to quote. She was talking about how cutting a track with the whole band playing live is an anomaly in this day and age. Steve isn’t Charlie. Nobody is. But Charlie is no longer available to do what he did better than anyone ever, so Steve is doing an amazing job allowing Mick and Keith to continue doing what they can do better than any imitators could ever get close to doing! And Steve is quite amazing himself! I honestly hated the idea of Andrew Watt producing when I first heard about it. Then I saw the credits from ASCAP showing he was a cowriter on 3 songs and became REALLY discouraged. But, these first two singles have made a believer out of me. He must be a true fan, who really knows their real talents, the things they can do that give you chills, the things that no other band can even come close to doing, and had the balls to tell them! I’ve read in different places that either Keith or Andrew played bass on this song. If it is Keith, it is abnormally restrained for him, but it fits the song well. If it is Andy, then my compliments Mr. Watt. It fits the song well.

I won’t even get started on Stevie Wonder! Best choice available today! Nicky and Billy aren’t available, so who would’ve thought of calling this guy??? I’m ecstatic that they did! He is absolutely BRILLIANT!! Back to the guitar work, at first listen, in my car, the second it was released on Spotify, I had a little trouble picking out what the guitars were playing. Each listen gave me more insight. Then, I got home and listened on better speakers and was brought to my knees by the guitar exchanges! This is true Keith and Ronnie interplay at its best! Keith is even doing the subtle one string lead lines, then hitting that razor sharp hard chord on the beat like he did in his absolute prime. Breathtaking stuff to say the least! Ronnie is playing perfect soul licks throughout, but my favorite part is when he almost goes into a different key to hit a couple of Berryesque double stops where they wouldn’t even seem to fit. This is the beauty of a living breathing band recording a song as a band.

And Mick Jagger. He is timeless. This is Mick doing what he was born to do. His delivery is sublime and flawless. Nobody can sing like this. Never could before, and never will. This isn’t Mick chasing pop music trends. It isn’t Mick trying to sound current. This is just Mick Jagger. And it is perfect. It’s everything he ever should be. Nobody can adlib lyrics like Mick Jagger when they run out of words on their lyric sheet. I loved it from the very beginning, but he totally slaughtered me when he hit the falsetto in the call and response with Gaga toward the end.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen, no other words…….. smiling smiley

Posted by: MegabenAustralia ()
Date: October 1, 2023 18:00

The DRUMMING is what makes this - imho - unbelievable, incredible, unexpected track. From that first superb roll till the 'encore'....... my goodness praise to Steve Jordan.

Posted by: Rambler62 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 18:24

Best Song since 1976!

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: October 1, 2023 19:12

This is such an incredible and powerful song.
Can they pull this one off live?

Posted by: plusplusjames ()
Date: October 1, 2023 19:25

Is anyone else amazed that Lady Gaga delivers her tremolo vocals *while sitting down*? smoking smiley

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: October 1, 2023 19:36

plusplusjames
Is anyone else amazed that Lady Gaga delivers her tremolo vocals *while sitting down*? smoking smiley

Lady Gaga shares the story behind “Sweet Sounds of Heaven” with The Rolling Stones:
“I was in the studio at Henson preparing for Joker, leaving to go home for the night and someone said ‘Mick wants to see you.’ I only know one Mick, so I walked down to a studio at the other end of the hall and opened the door. It was a portal to the 70s.
“I saw Mick, Keith, Ronnie. Stevie Wonder was there along with all the musicians they were collaborating with. Steve Jordan on the drums. Family & friends hanging out listening on big speakers while Andrew Watt smiled marveling at their unreleased album. We hung out for a bit listening to music and catching up. Mick then asked if I’d hang in the live room while they cut another record. I sat down on the floor, my back against a Rhodes-someone handed me some headphones and eventually a mic. Mick was towering over me smiling saying ‘go on and do your thing then.’ I listened to the music and scribbled furiously trying to learn the tune and then freestyled and sang along… trying not to step on everyone’s toes cuz Andrew had the whole room mic’d the way they did back in the day, and I didn’t want my vocals to bleed into any of the magic they’d been making. The Rhodes was vibrating furiously through my back-Stevie was playing and my whole body was shaking with every note. We played for a few hours and everyone was so excited having me there (this felt so exciting if not slightly insane). I went home not thinking much of it, I loved the song and all the musicians but I thought we were just hangin. Andrew texted me the next day saying Mick wanted to cut the vocals WITH me that night-the way he’d cut them back in the day. Same room, two mics. Single takes. I thought about Mary Clayton… Gimme Shelter…gospel and soul. I thought about my favorite old Stones tunes and all the great vocalists who had sung with Mick, making what we know now as a ‘sound’ unique to a band that defined a huge piece of rock’n’roll. Then we cut it live. Making the ‘Sweet Sounds of Heaven.’ I sang in a way I never really sang before except for with Mick. And Andrew and I both cried-there’s something about witnessing music history and when you get to be a part of it I think that’s exactly what our heaven feels like. It’s just a sweet sound.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 1, 2023 20:21

Did Mick and Keith write the song together

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: October 1, 2023 20:24

thomashanck
the song reminds me on ronnie's "i gotta see" ...
[www.youtube.com]
and i miss a guitar solo in it

My thoughts too. However it is truly a great song!

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 1, 2023 22:52

drewmaster
I can't wait!!
I have a feeling Sweet Sounds of Heaven is going to be incredible.
Angry was just a warm-up.
This will be the real deal.
Drew

I wrote the words above on Tuesday, before the teaser snippets appeared. Occasionally, I get it right, and this time I did. SSOH is the real deal.

The first time I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes. That feeling that you get when you know, instantly, that you are encountering something very rare and ravishingly beautiful. A work of art that changes your life the moment you encounter it.

And this morning, listening to it again, I broke down sobbing, awestruck at its majesty, its grandeur. It was an ecstatic, out-of-body experience, as great as any I’ve ever had. Gnawing on the very marrow of life. It left me in the fetal position, curled up in a ball on the floor, tears streaming down my cheeks.

After a while, I picked myself up off the floor, and I played it again, with the same results. And a third time too.

This is the enduring musical genius of the Glimmer Twins in glorious technicolor. It is part of the rare pantheon of songs that exist outside of time and space. Songs that have always "been", and just need the right moment to make their appearance.

Well, this is the right moment. We fans have waited soooooo long, and not always patiently, for new material, and our wait has been finally, at long last, rewarded. We were right. This is a band unlike any other.

The melody of this song, OMG – soooooo beautiful. How it grabs ahold from the beginning and doesn’t let go until the bridge (more on that later). How it soars and shines. How it lifts the heart and heals the spirit.

Of equal beauty and startling precision are the lyrics – echoing the noble struggles for freedom, the brave fight for justice of countless African-Americans since my country was founded. And, more broadly, testifying to the power of love. Its capacity to redeem us all. To liberate all those who have toiled in the dirt.

As does all the best work in the Stones canon, SSOH brilliantly transmogrifies black roots music and, in this case, harnesses the power of gospel at its most electrifying.

And Lady Gaga’s voice. Holy shit. Beyond anything I’ve ever before. The voice of an angel, lifting this song to impossible heights.

In sum, SSOH is an instant classic, proving once again that there is simply no one else in this band’s league. It is, it would seem, the crowning grace-note to their career. Their swan song, perhaps. Their grand exit. Even if we hear more new material, it will never top this. Going out in a blaze of glory would be an understatement.

My only gripe is the bridge. To me, it feels completely out of place. It feels tacked on, like it was written in 2 minutes. It takes me back to Mick’s weaker solo work. I don’t think Keith had any input on the bridge. I’m going to cobble together a version without the bridge for my personal enjoyment.

But that is just a quibble. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you have once again brought the world joy that is beyond measure, and made October 1, 2023 one of the very greatest days of my life. Thank you.

Drew

Posted by: Mabru ()
Date: October 1, 2023 23:01

In the Dutch iTunes stores the song with Lady Gaga debuts at number 2 at the top downloads charts

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: October 1, 2023 23:19

SSOH is so much more, better, than anything I dreamed of in a new Stones song.
For me, this fantastic song is in a league of their best singles.
SSOH would also have fit perfectly on their best LPs.

Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord smileys with beer

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: October 1, 2023 23:28

drewmaster
drewmaster
I can't wait!!
I have a feeling Sweet Sounds of Heaven is going to be incredible.
Angry was just a warm-up.
This will be the real deal.
Drew

I wrote the words above on Tuesday, before the teaser snippets appeared. Occasionally, I get it right, and this time I did. SSOH is the real deal.

The first time I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes. That feeling that you get when you know, instantly, that you are encountering something very rare and ravishingly beautiful. A work of art that changes your life the moment you encounter it.

And this morning, listening to it again, I broke down sobbing, awestruck at its majesty, its grandeur. It was an ecstatic, out-of-body experience, as great as any I’ve ever had. Gnawing on the very marrow of life. It left me in the fetal position, curled up in a ball on the floor, tears streaming down my cheeks.

After a while, I picked myself up off the floor, and I played it again, with the same results. And a third time too.

This is the enduring musical genius of the Glimmer Twins in glorious technicolor. It is part of the rare pantheon of songs that exist outside of time and space. Songs that have always "been", and just need the right moment to make their appearance.

Well, this is the right moment. We fans have waited soooooo long, and not always patiently, for new material, and our wait has been finally, at long last, rewarded. We were right. This is a band unlike any other.

The melody of this song, OMG – soooooo beautiful. How it grabs ahold from the beginning and doesn’t let go until the bridge (more on that later). How it soars and shines. How it lifts the heart and heals the spirit.

Of equal beauty and startling precision are the lyrics – echoing the noble struggles for freedom, the brave fight for justice of countless African-Americans since my country was founded. And, more broadly, testifying to the power of love. Its capacity to redeem us all. To liberate all those who have toiled in the dirt.

As does all the best work in the Stones canon, SSOH brilliantly transmogrifies black roots music and, in this case, harnesses the power of gospel at its most electrifying.

And Lady Gaga’s voice. Holy shit. Beyond anything I’ve ever before. The voice of an angel, lifting this song to impossible heights.

In sum, SSOH is an instant classic, proving once again that there is simply no one else in this band’s league. It is, it would seem, the crowning grace-note to their career. Their swan song, perhaps. Their grand exit. Even if we hear more new material, it will never top this. Going out in a blaze of glory would be an understatement.

My only gripe is the bridge. To me, it feels completely out of place. It feels tacked on, like it was written in 2 minutes. It takes me back to Mick’s weaker solo work. I don’t think Keith had any input on the bridge. I’m going to cobble together a version without the bridge for my personal enjoyment.

But that is just a quibble. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, you have once again brought the world joy that is beyond measure, and made October 1, 2023 one of the very greatest days of my life. Thank you.

Drew

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: October 2, 2023 00:03

SomeGuy

Totally agree! Take Tattoo You and add a little Some Girls, Black and Blue and even Let it Bleed - and you got this sweet track.

Posted by: RaiseTheKnife ()
Date: October 2, 2023 01:10

schwonek
SomeGuy

Totally agree! Take Tattoo You and add a little Some Girls, Black and Blue and even Let it Bleed - and you got this sweet track.

This track is a lot more overproduced than anything on those albums.

Andrew Watt is not my kind of producer, but obviously his style is popular with the mainstream audience.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 2, 2023 01:31

BEING NEGATIVE JUST TO BE DIFFERENT OR BE CONTROVERSIAL IS BORING AND A WASTE OF TIME.....SORRY BUT CRITICISM OF WATT IS UNWARRANTED...HE MADE 80 YEAR OLDS SOUND RELEVANT...THEY HAVE A HIT...SO JUST STOP. THANKS.

btw here's a great article with A Watt

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: October 2, 2023 01:49

schwonek
SomeGuy

Wait until you here Get Close or even Depending On You.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 2, 2023 01:57

I really enjoy Angry because it’s catchy and upbeat. Out of the 4 tracks ( depending, get close) to my ears it’s the weakest track. I think we are in for a treat

Posted by: JadedFaded ()
Date: October 2, 2023 02:04

I too look forward very much to hearing this song live next year. But, while I enjoy Sasha, I don’t think she can hit such high notes like Gaga did.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1879
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home