Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Date: September 29, 2023 13:01

gotdablouse
MadMetaphoricalMax
At the end of the video interview with MIck on Sweet Sounds, a couple of pages back, there is snatch of music with some bass going on - is that the Macca track?

At what point exactly in the video ?
Right at the very very end, like 12.58 - I may have got it totally wrong and it's just this guy's theme tune, but the interview did mention talking about the Macca track earlier in the interview...

Date: September 29, 2023 13:26

As everybody else after hearing this song I look forward to hearing the rest of the album with the highest expectations BUT this song by its own merits makes me indiferent if the next songs are Tyrolean music played with Steve Urkel.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 13:28

gotdablouse
bitusa2012
gotdablouse
plusplusjames
Mr. Jimi
Not that anyone values my opinion but I like it, but I don't love it. I've listened to both versions a few times now and the production and instruments are top notch. My criticism is like Angry, there is no repeating chorus (same lyric) that I can latch on to. So for me both songs, and I do like them both, do not have that consistent chorus hook that draws me in and keeps me coming back. Again just me, I actually like Mick's vocals.

You’re right Mr. Jimi. There is no repeating chorus. The whole thing is just a repeating chord of Dreams to Remember, with vocal riffs on sweet sound this and sweet sound that. I particularly like the call and response, first Mick calling and then Gaga responding. In the coda, they reverse. Very sweet to be licked this way…. smoking smiley

That's my problem with the song, they took DTR and grafted a couple of Stonesy sections and a forced bridge ( ala Slipping Away). If I'm honest I prefer the great 85 version of DTR from FFSO with some actual/audible guitar work/weaving and Charlie's terrific beat/breaks...but recognize of course that it has no mainstream/commercial appeal like SSOH.

Also what happened with the credits since last week?! The bass from Watt to Keith and Matt's B3 gone, I can hear an organ part though!

Ear buds will fix your hearing a bit. You can’t hear the guitars in SSOH? Wow.

Always happy to be abrasive I see, how appalling...Go listen to "Dreams to Remember" and you'll hopefully understand what I mean by actual/audible/weaving guitar parts.

Yes Dreams to Remember is lovely. Actual guitars are audible in that, too.

Rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 13:29 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: September 29, 2023 13:34

Biggest I could find smileys with beer

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: September 29, 2023 13:34

It is Stevie singing "Play loud" part, no?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:00

rockerparis

Biggest I could find

But it's maybe better to 'hide' it behind a link (showing only a preview picture) - because there're still people who do not own 32" displays with 6K resolution. smiling smiley

Here's a true 3000x3000px version: SSOH Cover.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 14:10 by Irix.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:20

Irix
rockerparis

Biggest I could find

But it's maybe better to 'hide' it behind a link (showing only a preview picture) - because there're still people who do not own 32" displays with 6K resolution. smiling smiley

thanks

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:30

The sweet links of Ir..heaven. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 15:31 by Topi.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:39

stonerolling
UrbanSteel
Always the dissatisfaction with how a song was created, here The Rolling Stones, Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and Andrew Watt deliver a masterful musical performance.
This song has much more power than the track I've Got Dreams to Remember on Fully Finished Outtakes.
For God's sake, be happy that you can hear Sweet Sounds Of Heaven and that after 60 years of making music.
All those complaining people who, since the Undercover period, stood still in the period 1963-1981 and only talk about everything after that time about how good it was 40 years ago, well, find another band to be a fan of.
agreed!

Well said

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:43

TotalBB
Lady Gaga on Instagram. She's such a treasure.

[www.instagram.com]

Great read...hope you don't mind some people won't bother clicking the link...here is the text:

I was in the studio at Henson preparing for Joker, leaving to go home for the night and someone said “Mick wants to see you.” I only know one Mick, so I walked down to a studio at the other end of the hall and opened the door. It was a portal to the 70’s. I saw Mick, Keith, Ronnie. Stevie Wonder was there along with all the musicians they were collaborating with. Steve Jordan on the drums. Family & friends hanging out listening on big speakers while Andrew Watt smiled marveling at their unreleased album. We hung out for a bit listening to music and catching up. Mick then asked if I’d hang in the live room while they cut another record. I sat down on the floor, my back against a Rhodes-someone handed me some headphones and eventually a mic. Mick was towering over me smiling saying “go on and do your thing then.” I listened to the music and scribbled furiously trying to learn the tune and then freestyled and sang along..trying not to step on everyone’s toes cuz Andrew had the whole room mic’d the way they did back in the day, and I didn’t want my vocals to bleed into any of the magic they’d been making. The Rhodes was vibrating furiously through my back-Stevie was playing and my whole body was shaking with every note. We played for a few hours and everyone was so excited having me there (this felt so exciting if not slightly insane). I went home not thinking much of it, I loved the song and all the musicians but I thought we were just hangin. Andrew texted me the next day saying Mick wanted to cut the vocals WITH me that night-the way he’d cut them back in the day. Same room, two mics. Single takes. I thought about Mary Clayton…Gimme Shelter…gospel and soul. I thought about my favorite old Stones tunes and all the great vocalists who had sung with Mick, making what we know now as a “sound” unique to a band that defined a huge piece of rock’n’roll. Then we cut it live. Making the “Sweet Sounds of Heaven.” I sang in a way I never really sang before except for with Mick. And Andrew and I both cried-there’s something about witnessing music history and when you get to be a part of it I think that’s exactly what our heaven feels like. It’s just a sweet sound.

Date: September 29, 2023 14:51

What a tune! Cool words from Lady Gaga, painting a picture of the moment of creativity in the studio.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:52

Wow, that's a great post indeed by LadyGG, hard not to well up too...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 14:52 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: claudine ()
Date: September 29, 2023 14:53

Irix
rockerparis

Biggest I could find

Can you find HQ version of Angry? cool smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 29, 2023 15:00

DeeGee
Mathijs
roller99
Irix
DeeGee

AND: how did you come to hear this album?

He's a journalist and has probably signed a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' (NDA). Same for [www.TheTimes.co.uk] when they wrote: "I’ve heard Hackney Diamonds. It’s the best Rolling Stones album since 1978".

Exactly. I don’t consider Tattoo You to be an album of new material, a portion was leftovers from Some Girls.

Tattoo You was a new album as only the backing tracks from their back catalogue was used, all vocals and many overdubs were new, as were mixing and mastering.

Mathijs

Yes, but not completely new written tracks what I believe is what Rollerman meant

Then Exile also wasn't a new album when it came out...

Mathijs

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: September 29, 2023 15:03

treaclefingers
TotalBB

[www.instagram.com]

Great read...hope you don't mind some people won't bother clicking the link...here is the text:

I was in the studio at Henson preparing for Joker, leaving to go home for the night and someone said “Mick wants to see you.” I only know one Mick, so I walked down to a studio at the other end of the hall and opened the door. It was a portal to the 70’s. I saw Mick, Keith, Ronnie. Stevie Wonder was there along with all the musicians they were collaborating with. Steve Jordan on the drums. Family & friends hanging out listening on big speakers while Andrew Watt smiled marveling at their unreleased album. We hung out for a bit listening to music and catching up. Mick then asked if I’d hang in the live room while they cut another record. I sat down on the floor, my back against a Rhodes-someone handed me some headphones and eventually a mic. Mick was towering over me smiling saying “go on and do your thing then.” I listened to the music and scribbled furiously trying to learn the tune and then freestyled and sang along..trying not to step on everyone’s toes cuz Andrew had the whole room mic’d the way they did back in the day, and I didn’t want my vocals to bleed into any of the magic they’d been making. The Rhodes was vibrating furiously through my back-Stevie was playing and my whole body was shaking with every note. We played for a few hours and everyone was so excited having me there (this felt so exciting if not slightly insane). I went home not thinking much of it, I loved the song and all the musicians but I thought we were just hangin. Andrew texted me the next day saying Mick wanted to cut the vocals WITH me that night-the way he’d cut them back in the day. Same room, two mics. Single takes. I thought about Mary Clayton…Gimme Shelter…gospel and soul. I thought about my favorite old Stones tunes and all the great vocalists who had sung with Mick, making what we know now as a “sound” unique to a band that defined a huge piece of rock’n’roll. Then we cut it live. Making the “Sweet Sounds of Heaven.” I sang in a way I never really sang before except for with Mick. And Andrew and I both cried-there’s something about witnessing music history and when you get to be a part of it I think that’s exactly what our heaven feels like. It’s just a sweet sound.

Of course I don't mind. Thanks for quoting it!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 29, 2023 15:07

Mathijs
DeeGee
Mathijs
roller99
Irix
DeeGee

He's a journalist and has probably signed a 'Non-Disclosure Agreement' (NDA). Same for [www.TheTimes.co.uk] when they wrote: "I’ve heard Hackney Diamonds. It’s the best Rolling Stones album since 1978".

Exactly. I don’t consider Tattoo You to be an album of new material, a portion was leftovers from Some Girls.

Tattoo You was a new album as only the backing tracks from their back catalogue was used, all vocals and many overdubs were new, as were mixing and mastering.

Mathijs

Yes, but not completely new written tracks what I believe is what Rollerman meant

Mathijs

Yep,

On that basis , they've never made a new album in their lives .

There's always something left over, marinating from the last campaign or two, that's worth a quick polish for the next one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-29 15:12 by Spud.

Date: September 29, 2023 15:30

Spud
Mathijs
DeeGee
Mathijs
roller99
Irix
DeeGee

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yep,

There's always something left over, marinating from the last campaign or two, that's worth a quick polish for the next one.

It's staggering to me on a 'fan board' how many people are out there wanting to take 'their band' down a notch or two. Doesn't matter how good it is always someone ready to bitch about something.

Ha...I'm the one bitching now!

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 29, 2023 15:44

treaclefingers
Spud
Mathijs
DeeGee
Mathijs
roller99
Irix
DeeGee

Mathijs

Mathijs

Yep,

It's staggering to me on a 'fan board' how many people are out there wanting to take 'their band' down a notch or two. Doesn't matter how good it is always someone ready to bitch about something.

Ha...I'm the one bitching now!

Better that than a forum of yes men, the Stones have gone to greater heights because of demand for something a bit special.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 16:05

TotalBB
treaclefingers
TotalBB

[www.instagram.com]

Of course I don't mind. Thanks for quoting it!

What a great quote... Lady Gaga is pretty awesome too. The Stones are back on top form.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: September 29, 2023 16:10

Amazing song in so many ways well described here. Why do the same people come on here and to argue with people about things like Exile and don't mention a word about the new music.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 29, 2023 16:15

I think it's fantastic!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 29, 2023 16:30

claudine

Can you find HQ version of Angry?

2560x2560px - Angry Cover.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 29, 2023 16:58

In any case, the contributions of Lady Gaga (brilliant) and Stevie Wonder are not anecdotal and contribute fully to the depth and intensity of the track.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:01

Definitely like it a lot. But I do miss the days when we couldn't look up the lyrics. Trying to figure out what Mick said and getting other peoples interpretations was part of the fun!

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:04

Now we have also a visualizer video:

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:10

MisterO
Definitely like it a lot. But I do miss the days when we couldn't look up the lyrics. Trying to figure out what Mick said and getting other peoples interpretations was part of the fun!

Since Black And Blue every Stones album came with a lyric sheet (Blue And Lonesome didn't, though, or maybe only the limited edition).

Date: September 29, 2023 17:17

SomeGuy
MisterO

Since Black And Blue every Stones album came with a lyric sheet (Blue And Lonesome didn't, though, or maybe only the limited edition).

Did Undercover come with lyric sheets?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:29

Irix
padre69

Is it Keith again on bass?

That's what the credits say (TIDAL, Qobuz, YouTube, Apple Music) - but they may contain errors.

In the studio footage you can see Andrew Watt on Bass right next to Keith.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 29, 2023 17:34

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

I don’t think lyrics were included until Dirty Work.

Date: September 29, 2023 17:35

DandelionPowderman
SomeGuy
MisterO

Tattoo You? Some Girls? Emotional Rescue?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home