Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 29
Re: "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"- with Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder - due out Sep 28
Posted by: MAF ()
Date: September 28, 2023 19:59

bitusa2012
Is it a match for their 1968-1972 output?
Yep. During the first listening I thought: Could be a song on Exile.

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:01

BeastyBurdeny
Fantastic track. Really can't wait to hear the rest of this album. And to hear these songs live next year smileys with beer

Imagine the band playing this song live with gaga and Stevie, it would be awesome

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:03

Grammy worthy stuff!

Posted by: Madcap ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:04

Didn’t think they had it in them anymore, but that is a GREAT song!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:05

Beautiful! What a wonderful song listen to. It goes to show that a great song doesn't need innovative writing or playing, it needs quality musicians and you get this result.

What a dime!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: slewan ()

I have to admit that this song sounds much better than the three others I've been listing so far.
Still I could do without Lady Gaga.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 20:05 by slewan.

Posted by: retired_dog ()

bitusa2012
Well colour me stunned. I was anxious from the first time I heard that first snippet. I thought Lady GaGa was just too prominent.

I eat my words. She’s the PERFECT foil on this to Mick.

It’s just a stunning piece of music. Is it a match for their 1968-1972 output? Of that I am not sure. But I am sure it’s one of their greatest songs SINCE 1972. It’s just blown me away.

Passionate, ragged, melodic and lyrically “heavy”, not trite.

But as I said a bit earlier in a post, the drums, THOSE drums, just power through this song. They are perfect. They drift in and out with such precision, pulling and pushing everyone else. Just superb.

I’ve not been this excited by Stones music since 1972. I am literally staggered.

Perfect summary. This alone makes up for the long wait for the new album - and there's more to come! Goosebumps. Almost driven to tears.

And, yeah, a bit of the ending of "Blue" shines through...

Posted by: cyclist ()

It's been years since I've gotten chills on a new Stones single. They did beautifully.

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:08

Great song!!

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:11

Once again since HD was announced and we first heard Angry. Now with SSoH, HOW PROUD I AM OF THIS BAND!! What a wonderful song!! What a wonderful time!!!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:12

Gazza
rebelrebel
Really like this song, the full version is much better than the edit. I wasn't particularly enthusiastic when I first heard that Gaga was a guest on this album but credit where it's due, she is just superb!

This band is sounding better than they have done for decades, at least on the two songs I've heard so far.

Journalists aside, how come some people have heard more btw?

'Depending on You' and 'Get Close' leaked a couple of weeks ago. Recorded off someone's cellphone but still decent enough quality to assess.

Thanks for answering. I guess I missed the boat; if they ever made youtube they've been taken down now and that's fair enough. I can be patient!

Frankly if you say you like them I know I will too.

Posted by: tommyturbo76 ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:14

Maybe it’s because I’m from LA and in a town square in Leipzig right now … I’ve heard every new stones song since 1965. To me this is their best ever - spine tingling every time I’m hearing it. Blues choir rock soul drums Keith Stevie Gaga oh my God. I remember Sinatra’s tour when he was 80 —>> Mick is still killing it. Grammy.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:15

What to say !?
Very very beautiful song.
If the rest of the album is at the level of the first two singles it will be a great album

Posted by: kid killowatt ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:18

Great soulful song
Gaga kills it

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:27

Telegraph review - sweet sound of heaven - 5 stars

The Rolling Stones, Sweet Sound of Heaven, review: Jagger and Gaga on astonishing, exultant form

5/5
Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder help push the Stones to heights they haven't reached in decades for this soulful, gospel riposte to old age
By
Neil McCormick,
MUSIC CRITIC
28 September 2023 • 5:00pm
Rockin til they drop: Ronnie Wood, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (L-R)
The Rolling Stones have dropped a new single, and it is the best thing they have done in decades. Featuring both Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder jamming with the band, Sweet Sound of Heaven is a thrilling, uplifting proto-gospel song that belongs in the very highest echelons of the Stones’ starry catalogue.

It doesn’t attempt to recreate past glories so much as dive deeply into a roots music they love, and put their own distinct stamp on it. You would have to go back to Exile on Main Street to hear the Stones on such exultant form, deeply wrapped up in their music, lost in the groove and the moment.

Jagger leads from the front, with a towering vocal performance, the man who once asked for Sympathy for the Devil calling out to heavenly powers to make life on earth more bearable. The rhythm guitar of Keith Richards scratches and pokes away on the right side of the mix, Ronnie Wood’s sweet licks percolate on the left, and a stellar band fills all the spaces between, with Steve Jordan anchoring the sound in Charlie Watts’s old drum seat, and no less a superstar personage than Stevie Wonder rattling away on a very nimble electric piano and Rhodes organ.

The whole thing was recorded essentially live at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles in January this year, with the group in the round all facing each other. Footage shows Lady Gaga sitting on the floor, at first echoing and answering Jagger’s vocals, and gradually building in confidence to push beneath his voice, and drive him to ever greater heights. It is really one of Jagger’s finest ever performances, as the old devil exults mischievously in notions of heavenly reward. “No I’m not gonna end in some dusty motel / And I’m not gonna die in the dirt,” the 80-year-old frontman insists, shrugging off notions that he will meet some dismal traditional blues end.

Indeed, for a song about heavenly rewards, Jagger doesn’t seem particularly ready to meet his maker at all, preferring to revel in the pleasures of this earthly vale while he can: “I’m gonna live, I’m gonna cry, eat the bread, drink the wine / Cos I’m finally quenching my thirst.” There’s a fantastic moment, just before the horns punch in, when Jagger delivers what sounds like a justification and valediction for the Stones whole ethos of rocking til they drop: “Let us sing, let us shout, let us all stand up proud / Let the old still believe they are young!”

Sweet Sounds of Heaven features Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder
But the outstanding thrill of this performance is yet to come, as it builds to a huge climax and reaches a powerful conclusion after five minutes, only for Jordan to pick up the beat again. Gaga laughs and joins in, trilling the chorus melody, producer Andrew Watt adds a bass line and Jagger calls “Play me something, Stevie”, inspiring Wonder to weigh in with lubricious piano.

Gradually the whole band rejoins the fray, building it up again, higher and higher to an even more explosive climax or righteous musical joy. It is the kind of thing that can only happen when a band is playing together, live in the studio, something you will rarely hear on modern recordings. It is the essence of the Stones’ appeal in seven and a half minutes of pure pleasure. Honestly, the first time I heard it, it put a smile on this old critic’s face that lasted for a week.

Sweet Sound of Heaven is an anthem that belongs in the most soulful end of the Rolling Stones catalogue, as philosophical as You Can’t Always Get What You Want, deep and rootsy as Wild Horse, and as epic as Sympathy for the Devil. It shows off the Stones as a performing band in all their glory.

When the song was mentioned during the press launch at Hackney Empire earlier this month (for forthcoming album Hackney Diamonds), it immediately brought a gust of laughter from Richards. “It’s a kinda gospel song,” said Jagger. “Gospel!” chuckled Richards. “You’ve never been to church in your life!”

“I did go once!” protested Jagger.

“What’s it like?” said Richards, playing along.

“It’s a big building, normally, with arches,” joked Jagger.

Lady Gaga and Mick Jagger performing in 2012
Lady Gaga and Mick Jagger performing in 2012 CREDIT: WireImage
When I spoke to Richards recently, he told me he was particularly pleased with Sweet Sound of Heaven. “The reprise (at the end) was spontaneous, it is what happens with bands. The more you play, the more you want that extra bit. It was fun to make. Stevie was in town, and he happened to drop by, and it was the same with Lady Gaga, bless her, the woman can sing.

We used to work with Stevie a lot on the road tours in the Seventies, and hey man, he is a brilliant player. It was never intended to particularly bring in other people, they happened to be around, but if you can contribute things like they did, well, we’re the Rolling Stones, join the party!”

It all bodes incredibly well for the forthcoming album, and for the continuing adventures of the world’s greatest rock and roll band. “I’d like to take Sweet Sounds of Heaven on stage,” Richards told me. “The song is strong, and I think we can pull it off. Let’s find out!”

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:28

Only one thing left to say: Jesus.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:28

Sweet Sounds of Heaven

[Part I]

[Verse 1: Mick Jagger]
I hear the sweet, sweet sounds of Heaven
Fallin' down, fallin' down to this earth
I hear the sweet, sweetest sounds of Heaven
Driftin' down, driftin' down to this earth
Bless the Father, bless the Son, hear the sound of the drums
As it echoes through the valley and it bursts, yeah
Let no woman or child go hungry tonight
Please protect us from the pain and the hurt, yeah

[Verse 2: Mick Jagger & Lady Gaga]
I smell the sweet scents (Sweet)
Sweet scents of Heaven (Heaven)
Tumblin' down (Tumblin' down)
Tumblin' down to the earth (Oh)
I hear the sweet sounds (Sweet sounds)
The sweet sounds (Ooh, the sweet sounds) of children
And they're praisin' (Praisin')
The land of their birth (No)

[Chorus: Mick Jagger, Lady Gaga]
No, I'm not, not goin' to Hell
In some dusty motel
And I'm not, not goin' down
In the dirt (Yes, yes, yes)
I'm gonna laugh (I'm gonna laugh)
I'm gonna cry (I'm gonna cry)
Eat the bread, drink the wine
'Cause I'm finally, finally quenchin' my thirst, yeah

[Bridge: Mick Jagger]
You can't have a light without a little shadow, yeah
Always need a target for your bow and arrow
I want to be drenched in the rain
Of your heavenly love, oh, yeah, c'mon

[Chorus: (Mick Jagger & Lady Gaga]
Let the music (Let the music) play loud (Play loud)
Let it burst (Let it burst) through the clouds (Through the clouds)
And we all feel the heat
Of the sun, yeah
Yeah, let us sing
Let us shout (Let us shout)
Let us all stand up proud
Let the old still believe that they're young, yeah

[Outro: Mick Jagger & Lady Gaga]
Sweet, sweet sound
Sounds so sweet (Oh, so sweet)
Sounds so sweet (So sweet)
Heaven, Heaven
Down, falling down
Falling down to this earth

[Part II]

[Intro: Lady Gaga, Mick Jagger]
I hear the sweet sounds of Heaven
Play me somethin', Stevie

[Verse: Lady Gaga, Mick Jagger]
I smell the sweet, sweet scents of Heaven
Comin' down (Comin' down), comin' down (Comin' down)
To the earth (From the earth)
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah
Yes, c'mon
Ooh, c'mon
C'mon, c'mon
C'mon, yeah, yeah

[Outro: Mick Jagger & Lady Gaga]
Hear the gods laughing from above
Of Heaven
Fallin' down, fallin' down
To this earth, oh, oh, oh, oh
Let me lay down and sleep
Oh, oh, Heaven, Heaven
Ooh, ooh, ooh
[genius.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 20:33 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:29

you all have said it all

smileys with beer

Posted by: danicarton ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:32

Ronnie "the right channel guitar hero". Great job Ronnie!!!

Posted by: amg077 ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:33

Juniorjackflash
Telegraph review - sweet sound of heaven - 5 stars

The Rolling Stones, Sweet Sound of Heaven, review: Jagger and Gaga on astonishing, exultant form

5/5
Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder help push the Stones to heights they haven't reached in decades for this soulful, gospel riposte to old age
By
Neil McCormick,
MUSIC CRITIC
28 September 2023 • 5:00pm
Rockin til they drop: Ronnie Wood, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards (L-R)
The Rolling Stones have dropped a new single, and it is the best thing they have done in decades. Featuring both Lady Gaga and Stevie Wonder jamming with the band, Sweet Sound of Heaven is a thrilling, uplifting proto-gospel song that belongs in the very highest echelons of the Stones’ starry catalogue.

It doesn’t attempt to recreate past glories so much as dive deeply into a roots music they love, and put their own distinct stamp on it. You would have to go back to Exile on Main Street to hear the Stones on such exultant form, deeply wrapped up in their music, lost in the groove and the moment.

Jagger leads from the front, with a towering vocal performance, the man who once asked for Sympathy for the Devil calling out to heavenly powers to make life on earth more bearable. The rhythm guitar of Keith Richards scratches and pokes away on the right side of the mix, Ronnie Wood’s sweet licks percolate on the left, and a stellar band fills all the spaces between, with Steve Jordan anchoring the sound in Charlie Watts’s old drum seat, and no less a superstar personage than Stevie Wonder rattling away on a very nimble electric piano and Rhodes organ.

The whole thing was recorded essentially live at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles in January this year, with the group in the round all facing each other. Footage shows Lady Gaga sitting on the floor, at first echoing and answering Jagger’s vocals, and gradually building in confidence to push beneath his voice, and drive him to ever greater heights. It is really one of Jagger’s finest ever performances, as the old devil exults mischievously in notions of heavenly reward. “No I’m not gonna end in some dusty motel / And I’m not gonna die in the dirt,” the 80-year-old frontman insists, shrugging off notions that he will meet some dismal traditional blues end.

Indeed, for a song about heavenly rewards, Jagger doesn’t seem particularly ready to meet his maker at all, preferring to revel in the pleasures of this earthly vale while he can: “I’m gonna live, I’m gonna cry, eat the bread, drink the wine / Cos I’m finally quenching my thirst.” There’s a fantastic moment, just before the horns punch in, when Jagger delivers what sounds like a justification and valediction for the Stones whole ethos of rocking til they drop: “Let us sing, let us shout, let us all stand up proud / Let the old still believe they are young!”

But the outstanding thrill of this performance is yet to come, as it builds to a huge climax and reaches a powerful conclusion after five minutes, only for Jordan to pick up the beat again. Gaga laughs and joins in, trilling the chorus melody, producer Andrew Watt adds a bass line and Jagger calls “Play me something, Stevie”, inspiring Wonder to weigh in with lubricious piano.

Gradually the whole band rejoins the fray, building it up again, higher and higher to an even more explosive climax or righteous musical joy. It is the kind of thing that can only happen when a band is playing together, live in the studio, something you will rarely hear on modern recordings. It is the essence of the Stones’ appeal in seven and a half minutes of pure pleasure. Honestly, the first time I heard it, it put a smile on this old critic’s face that lasted for a week.

Sweet Sound of Heaven is an anthem that belongs in the most soulful end of the Rolling Stones catalogue, as philosophical as You Can’t Always Get What You Want, deep and rootsy as Wild Horse, and as epic as Sympathy for the Devil. It shows off the Stones as a performing band in all their glory.

When the song was mentioned during the press launch at Hackney Empire earlier this month (for forthcoming album Hackney Diamonds), it immediately brought a gust of laughter from Richards. “It’s a kinda gospel song,” said Jagger. “Gospel!” chuckled Richards. “You’ve never been to church in your life!”

“I did go once!” protested Jagger.

“What’s it like?” said Richards, playing along.

“It’s a big building, normally, with arches,” joked Jagger.

Lady Gaga and Mick Jagger performing in 2012
Lady Gaga and Mick Jagger performing in 2012 CREDIT: WireImage
When I spoke to Richards recently, he told me he was particularly pleased with Sweet Sound of Heaven. “The reprise (at the end) was spontaneous, it is what happens with bands. The more you play, the more you want that extra bit. It was fun to make. Stevie was in town, and he happened to drop by, and it was the same with Lady Gaga, bless her, the woman can sing.

We used to work with Stevie a lot on the road tours in the Seventies, and hey man, he is a brilliant player. It was never intended to particularly bring in other people, they happened to be around, but if you can contribute things like they did, well, we’re the Rolling Stones, join the party!”

It all bodes incredibly well for the forthcoming album, and for the continuing adventures of the world’s greatest rock and roll band. “I’d like to take Sweet Sounds of Heaven on stage,” Richards told me. “The song is strong, and I think we can pull it off. Let’s find out!”

Great review.Since the title of the song I was curious about it.
I love how it closes, it is very powerful, the trumpets, all the noise

Posted by: laurel ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:33

I sat here, savoring the moment, as I always do with a new Stones song. I had a special feeling with this one. Then I pressed play. I am in tears. I can feel Charlie's presence but am so happy with Steve's work. I also like the more subdued Gaga here. I am wondering, though, if there is a version without her for comparison. This is gold.

Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:35

MSN review Sweet Sounds Of Heaven

I think the reviewer got Keith and Ronnie mixed up? Ronnie plays some soulful playing on the right I think (with tremelo)and Keith adds some beautiful licks on the left.

Bass I don't know. If it is done live than Watt must be playing the bass? Since Ian, Nicky and Billy not heard this kind of soulful piano (incl. the sound).

Heard four songs so far and I think the album could play out to be a masterpiece.

Posted by: Nankstone ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:41

Keith on Bass (liner notes on You Tube)

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:45

A wonderful song and performance - they have every right to be proud of this.

Date: September 28, 2023 20:47

Mick Jagger: The Rolling Stones "Sweet Sounds of Heaven"’, Lady Gaga & Stevie Wonder | Apple Music

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:47

MAF
bitusa2012
Is it a match for their 1968-1972 output?
Yep. During the first listening I thought: Could be a song on Exile.

ypi, my thoughts too, it is very good.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 28, 2023 20:56

What a great tune. And the Telegraph put it really well: "It doesn’t attempt to recreate past glories so much as dive deeply into a roots music they love"

Such a fantastic tune and can be played along any ballad from Tatoo You, Steel Wheels or Some Girls easily.

Date: September 28, 2023 20:57

Not sure why but end of the 7 min song gives me Love-You set the scene live vibes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 20:58 by PaintMonkeyManBlack.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: September 28, 2023 21:00

The Rolling Stones: Sweet Sounds Of Heaven.
Lady Gaga...WOW!
Jesus Christ, incredible, 80 years old and still able to bring such music into the world, I can't believe my ears.
Andrew Watt gave our boys a good wake-up call.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-28 21:29 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: Ram ()
Date: September 28, 2023 21:01

Had another listen with headphone,could've come from a hot and humid basement in the South of France...smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home