Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15
Re: Hackney Diamonds on Vinyl
Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: November 5, 2023 21:19

Irix
ProfessorWolf

anyone else have this problem?

Seems that clear vinyl (in general) is the 'worst' sounding variant. I read a comment from a model maker who said that when he cuts his plexiglass with a knife, it's the same noise as when he puts the needle of his turntable onto clear vinyl. As mentioned above, black vinyl seems to be the better choice - [iorr.org] . On the other hand, the UHQR vinyl by Analogue Productions is called 'Clarity Vinyl' but has a more milky color - [QualityRecordPressings.com] , [i.Redd.it] . The vinyl used by Universal Music is called/looks 'Diamond Clear' - [www.Musik-Sammler.de] .

thanks

wanted black to begin with but when i saw the pretty clear vinyl i just couldn't resistwinking smiley

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 5, 2023 22:55

ProfessorWolf

wanted black to begin with but when i saw the pretty clear vinyl i just couldn't resist

Would be interesting if you could compare the black vinyl regarding the sound quality.

Date: November 6, 2023 00:25

Irix
ProfessorWolf

wanted black to begin with but when i saw the pretty clear vinyl i just couldn't resist

Would be interesting if you could compare the black vinyl regarding the sound quality.

well unless the black vinyl has finely ground sand embedded into the grooves it should sound better

literally no song on my clear copy is free from very bad and easily heard noise

but when i get my copy i'll be sure to post my thoughts on it and if bv allowed short snippets of each song

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: November 6, 2023 01:31

My clear one is excellent sounding!

Posted by: Roscoe ()
Date: November 6, 2023 05:59

I've got the clear, blue, and green pressings. All three are flat, centered, and quiet.

I also have a Zoetrope copy which I haven't played yet (but have taken out of the gassy PVC sleeve it came in).

I haven't opened the Paul Smith copy since that's probably the rarest one. Might be a collectable some day.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: November 6, 2023 10:11

jackflash27
treaclefingers
liddas
Haven't listened to my HD vinyl yet

In the time being I bumped into this review

[www.analogplanet.com]

C

Spot on review...except I can't comment on the vinyl listening experience as I sadly haven't had that pleasure yet!

Nice review, agree with most of it. Regarding the vinyl: I was actually surprised in a positive way with how it sounded. I agree it could be much better, but it's good enough for me. Blue & Lonesome by the way was terrible on vinyl and HD is much better.

Yeah, I pretty much concur with many of those comments re the vinyl sound quality....and it does seem very hard these days to buy an LP free of that "..low frequency whooshing sound " mentioned in the review.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: November 6, 2023 11:55

The pressing quality does not depend on colour. iIt looks like no quality control is in place, hence whether you get a good one or not depends on your luck.

Posted by: Adams ()
Date: November 6, 2023 11:58

ProfessorWolf
Irix
ProfessorWolf

well unless the black vinyl has finely ground sand embedded into the grooves it should sound better

but when i get my copy i'll be sure to post my thoughts on it and if bv allowed short snippets of each song

It could be due to non fill on your clear copy, means no quality control in the plant. However it could also be dirt which is often present in new records, have you tried cleaning it?

Date: November 6, 2023 13:15

I'm broadly quite happy with the vinyl...

...but I'd like to se them ship the flat master over to Abbey Road for a half speed remaster .

[or a normal speed remaster for that matter...the half speed thing is not the biggest part of the benefits...it's a mastering/cutting engineer who know what he's doing that counts the most ]

Date: November 6, 2023 13:49

They really took their time with the vinyl, making it (almost) like in the old days. Like with my old LPs, I have to turn up the volume. That hasn't been the case since Steel Wheels, methinks.

It sounds wonderful, regarding today's circumstances with making a vinyl record.

Date: November 6, 2023 13:50

Vinyl mastering & lacquer cut was by Matt Colton and Daniel Harfield at Metropolis Studios (London, UK) - [www.Instagram.com] , [www.Instagram.com] . See also the matrix engraving on the LP.

Date: November 6, 2023 13:55

DandelionPowderman

Like with my old LPs, I have to turn up the volume.

Probably no 'loud' mastering possible due to the 24 mins runtime per side.

Date: November 6, 2023 13:59

Irix
DandelionPowderman

Luckily, I'd say, although 48 minutes might make the quality inferior for the last track on each side. It was smart sequencing by them to have a «lo-fi» tune as the ending song on each side smiling smiley

Date: November 6, 2023 14:58

End of sides is not not a huge issue if your cartridge alignment is good..
..but yeah, the longish run time is what stopped them cutting it too bloody loud.

A very fortunate thing in my book grinning smiley

Posted by: downagain ()
Date: November 6, 2023 17:20

My clear vinyl sounds amazing. I'm at the point with modern vinyl releases that I would buy anything until I've been able to confirm positive reviews on a pressing on discogs or otherwise. This because I've been so disappointed with quality control, mastering, etc. I made an exception here because..well, it's my favourite band. My copy is great and is especially so compared to the brickwalled disaster that is the Spotify release.

Posted by: andreas ()
Date: November 6, 2023 18:56

My Zoetrope has a lot of clicks and pops especially on depending on you. Anyone have the same issuses?

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: November 6, 2023 19:51

andreas
My Zoetrope has a lot of clicks and pops especially on depending on you. Anyone have the same issuses?
My copy has only one click....I don't remember exactly where

Posted by: alreadyoverme ()
Date: November 6, 2023 20:17

Stone601
andreas
My copy has only one click....I don't remember exactly where

mine too, on b side.. lot of clicks... :/
however on a side i didnt appreciate it much..

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 6, 2023 21:03

Spud
End of sides is not not a huge issue if your cartridge alignment is good..
..but yeah, the longish run time is what stopped them cutting it too bloody loud.

A very fortunate thing in my book grinning smiley

Yes, that is a wonderful outcome! I can hardly wait until I get an Amazon delivery!

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: November 10, 2023 17:22

I bought several copies of the picture disc variants (regular, Barcelona) and ALL of them had a small to modest seam split in the pvc cover. The Zoetrope picture disc is still on the way (hopefully) and I'm worried that this also suffers from this split. Anyone recognizes this, or is it just bad luck for me?

Date: November 10, 2023 17:49

jackflash27
I bought several copies of the picture disc variants (regular, Barcelona) and ALL of them had a small to modest seam split in the pvc cover. The Zoetrope picture disc is still on the way (hopefully) and I'm worried that this also suffers from this split. Anyone recognizes this, or is it just bad luck for me?

I received 2 zoetrope's and neither had a seam split mercifully, though I know several people have on their's.

It seems it is a luck of the draw, so good luck to you!

IN OTHER PVC news, some people are saying to remove the disc from the sleeve as there are 'gasses emitted' that affect the sticker and will transfer or otherwise discolour the disc.

I don't know that to be true, and have had PVC outers on picture discs for years and haven't seen that myself, but worth it to consider if you have a lot of picture discs.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 10, 2023 18:40

All of my picture discs are accounted for, and all of the PVC sleeves thankfully are fine.

Date: November 10, 2023 19:01

Adams
ProfessorWolf
Irix
ProfessorWolf

It could be due to non fill on your clear copy, means no quality control in the plant. However it could also be dirt which is often present in new records, have you tried cleaning it?

yes vacuum cleaned no change sadly

Date: November 10, 2023 19:15

DandelionPowderman
Irix
DandelionPowderman

Luckily, I'd say, although 48 minutes might make the quality inferior for the last track on each side. It was smart sequencing by them to have a «lo-fi» tune as the ending song on each side smiling smiley

one problem i didn't have with mine was inner groove distortion

Date: November 10, 2023 21:33

Maybe mine is an excess of prudence but
I prefer to put the picture-disc in an anti-static sleeves, like Nagaoka, and then put it back in its plastic bag.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-10 21:38 by Stone601.

Date: November 11, 2023 00:07

Stone601
Maybe mine is an excess of prudence but
I prefer to put the picture-disc in an anti-static sleeves, like Nagaoka, and then put it back in its plastic bag.

Any unsealed records of mine also get that treatment...which leaves the sealed ones to fend for themselves!

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: November 17, 2023 06:42

My blue vinyl ordered Sept 6th finally arrived today. Also got the bluray/cd today. Just waiting for the green to arrive on Saturday.

Wish I could get the purple, fushia, and black but I can't justify spending any more on this album.

Date: November 17, 2023 16:00

sanQ
My blue vinyl ordered Sept 6th finally arrived today. Also got the bluray/cd today. Just waiting for the green to arrive on Saturday.

Wish I could get the purple, fushia, and black but I can't justify spending any more on this album.

Seems like we're on a similar delivery schedule. Finally got my bluray/cd and green vinyl...waiting for the black and blue!

Posted by: jackflash27 ()
Date: November 17, 2023 18:40

I've collected quite a lot of the HD vinyl versions, including the two Japanese releases and 3 white USA MLB records.
I was wondering if there are collectors on this board who actually have all different variants including all of the 30 MLB releases.

Date: November 17, 2023 19:55

jackflash27
I've collected quite a lot of the HD vinyl versions, including the two Japanese releases and 3 white USA MLB records.
I was wondering if there are collectors on this board who actually have all different variants including all of the 30 MLB releases.
Not me….just have “only all coloured version, Carnaby Red end Zoetrope

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415Next
Current Page: 14 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home