Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 44
Re: The Rolling Stones Tour 2024
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 14, 2023 16:30

GerardHennessy
I always feel we are just a wee bit second best..

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

I do not think the UK (or Europe if you agree) are just a wee bit second best. It is equal.

Posted by: GerH1977 ()
Date: November 14, 2023 16:30

On what info did you book hotels?
I can’t discover any dates from reliable sources

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 14, 2023 16:36

People are just booking them based on dates thrown around on here and on Shidoobee...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 14, 2023 16:45

GerardHennessy
The UK has embraced Hackney Diamonds a great deal more enthusiastically than it has been in the US. Already gone from the Top 30 albums on the Billboard 200 in its third week on release. Never getting above No.3 on the same chart. Here it Britain it is showing a great deal more staying power. Scheduled to achieve its fourth week inside the Top Ten this Friday. And with plenty of life still left in it.

Oh and the Forty Licks re-issue on vinyl continues to retain its place in the lower reaches of the album charts too. And in the process shows just how pessimistic and incorrect I was when I posted some months ago that it would sink without a trace after a couple of weeks. I'm delighted to be COMPLETELY WRONG!

My point? Why, given the considerable affection and popularity The Stones continue to receive here in their own country, do we - UK fans - always seem to get whatever is left over after the US gets first option on tours and accessibility?

I am not having a dig at our US sisters and brothers. A Stones fan is a Stones fan, wherever they live. And good luck to you ALL wherever you may be. However as a UK based fan, I am always left feeling we come slightly lower down the list when it comes to tours. No doubt someone will have done an in-depth analysis and challenge me on what I am saying. But, right or wrong, I always feel we are just a wee bit second best..

The US general audience could care less about a new Stones album, it's been like that for over 40 years but when they tour there the public show up to buy t-shirts, beer and cheer over Satisfaction for the millionth time.

They can sell 1 million tickets in the US and zero albums at the same time, a unique feat that few acts can achieve.

Meanwhile the "new" Beatles song reached the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100, the first classic rock song to reach the US Top 10 since Aerosmith' Jaded in 2001.

A freak song with the Beatles name on it totally outcharted the new Stones album, not even a great song as SSOH with a young guest could reach the Top 100 in the US but the Stones tour in 2024 will sell out for sure.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 14, 2023 17:21

slewan
GerardHennessy
The UK has embraced Hackney Diamonds a great deal more enthusiastically than it has been in the US. Already gone from the Top 30 albums on the Billboard 200 in its third week on release. Never getting above No.3 on the same chart. Here it Britain it is showing a great deal more staying power. Scheduled to achieve its fourth week inside the Top Ten this Friday. And with plenty of life still left in it.

Oh and the Forty Licks re-issue on vinyl continues to retain its place in the lower reaches of the album charts too. And in the process shows just how pessimistic and incorrect I was when I posted some months ago that it would sink without a trace after a couple of weeks. I'm delighted to be COMPLETELY WRONG!

My point? Why, given the considerable affection and popularity The Stones continue to receive here in their own country, do we - UK fans - always seem to get whatever is left over after the US gets first option on tours and accessibility?

I am not having a dig at our US sisters and brothers. A Stones fan is a Stones fan, wherever they live. And good luck to you ALL wherever you may be. However as a UK based fan, I am always left feeling we come slightly lower down the list when it comes to tours. No doubt someone will have done an in-depth analysis and challenge me on what I am saying. But, right or wrong, I always feel we are just a wee bit second best..

all that doesn't change the fact that the US is the much bigger market.

Yeah, the population of the US is about 6X the population of England. That probably plays a big part of it.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 14, 2023 17:45

schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

I do not think the UK (or Europe if you agree) are just a wee bit second best. It is equal.

Fair enough. Problem is we are NOT really Europe of course. Now less than ever given Brexit and the hassle of travelling with all kinds of documentation. Fact is we may get 3-4 concerts here in UK while in the US people expect to not have to travel very far at all to see the band. And don't have immigration, customs, passports etc etc to contend with.

But this is NOT me wanting to be petty minded. My original point was that a country that could not really care less about new Stones material gets such attention while those of us who appreciate new material don't...

Posted by: SecondSet ()
Date: November 14, 2023 17:45

kovach
slewan
all that doesn't change the fact that the US is the much bigger market.

Yeah, the population of the US is about 6X the population of England. That probably plays a big part of it.

The US also has 50% higher GDP per capita than the UK, about 20% more wealthy people than Europe (25% if you add Canada), and more than half of the world's extremely wealthy people. The US' poorer labo(u)r laws may also allow for higher profit margins, viz [voiceofsandiego.org], though that is more of an enforcement issue.

The Stones' Hyde Park appearance in 2022 was one of the top 10 grossing concert stands of the year, but slightly trailed Bad Bunny's two shows at Yankee Stadium, even though the latter had 2/3rds the tickets sold. Similarly, in the top 5, Bad Bunny's two Los Angeles shows outgrossed Coldplay's four outside Paris and Garth Brooks' five at Wembley, and Harry Styles' MSG residency surpassed Ed Sheeran's at Wembley for the top spot with just 40% of the latter's tickets sold.

Date: November 14, 2023 17:47

And whatever the slightly younger and significantly more culturally diverse US public's interest in the Stones may be at present, the money in its music industry is made in touring, not record sales or streaming. That goes for all artists these days.

Date: November 14, 2023 17:56

GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

Fair enough. Problem is we are NOT really Europe of course. Now less than ever given Brexit and the hassle of travelling with all kinds of documentation. Fact is we may get 3-4 concerts here in UK while in the US people expect to not have to travel very far at all to see the band. And don't have immigration, customs, passports etc etc to contend with.

But this is NOT me wanting to be petty minded. My original point was that a country that could not really care less about new Stones material gets such attention while those of us who appreciate new material don't...

You're not Europe? Of course you are! You're not EU.

Date: November 14, 2023 18:28

Oddly enough, some of the Edmonton hotel prices have a hike between June 12 and June 14. (And the best luxury hotel in town doesn't seem to be available)

Not saying it's because the subject at hand, but something's happening around those dates. And it might not be the Stanley Cup Final...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-14 18:29 by Topi.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: November 14, 2023 18:31

babyblue
angee
Mick said onstage that the altitude in the mile high city of Denver was getting to him, so I don't know if he will come back. Hope so.

Denver is on this years list before cancelling you know.

Oh, that's right, it was on the list, thanks.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 14, 2023 18:33

GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

True about the US and new material, but how many new songs will they actually play nightly? Maybe 2?

Date: November 14, 2023 18:43

Topi
Oddly enough, some of the Edmonton hotel prices have a hike between June 12 and June 14. (And the best luxury hotel in town doesn't seem to be available)

Not saying it's because the subject at hand, but something's happening around those dates. And it might not be the Stanley Cup Final...

I'm not saying there won't be a show on or near those dates, but there is a conference in town from the 11th to the 14th.

Date: November 14, 2023 18:44

Ok, thanks,that explains it then.

Date: November 14, 2023 18:49

Topi

Perhaps. As previously discussed, I believe there is a show elsewhere on the 11th. I believe three days off would likely be needed before the next show.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: November 14, 2023 19:05

Topi
And it might not be the Stanley Cup Final...

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Date: November 14, 2023 19:16

SecondSet
Topi

Perhaps. As previously discussed, I believe there is a show elsewhere on the 11th. I believe three days off would likely be needed before the next show.

Philly was rumored for the 11th.

The Rolling Stones Tour 2024
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 14, 2023 19:31

From Letters To The Editor in The Maui News, November 14:

Book Rolling Stones to raise money for fire victims

The Rolling Stones are just now planning their 2024 U.S. tour. How about booking them at the MACC to raise money for Lahaina fire victims?

Maybe Shep Gordon can help make this happen along with Mick Fleetwood, Dave Mason, Paul Simon, Willie Nelson and others.

Tickets for a live show could raise $5 million at $1,000 each times 5,000.

Along with Facebook streaming worldwide, another $25 million could be raised for a total gross of $30 million.

Can you imagine if our mayor and governor could also sign on to help make this a reality?

Just an idea that has awesome potential.

Mike McCormick

Kihei

[www.mauinews.com]

Posted by: welshphil ()
Date: November 14, 2023 19:55

GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

I flew from Manchester to Vienna in 2022 to see The Stones, no hassle at all

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 14, 2023 20:04

GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

(…)

we don't have all this in Europe either…

Date: November 14, 2023 20:07

NashvilleBlues
GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

True about the US and new material, but how many new songs will they actually play nightly? Maybe 2?

They played 4 at the Racket.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 14, 2023 20:14

DandelionPowderman
NashvilleBlues
GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

They played 4 at the Racket.

Think that'll continue? I don't. Maybe Angry, SSOH and Tell Me Straight.

Date: November 14, 2023 20:20

GerardHennessy
Fact is we may get 3-4 concerts here in UK while in the US people expect to not have to travel very far at all to see the band.

This is rich. The continental US is 37x larger than the UK. The distance from London to the Midlands or Liverpool is about the same as that from NY to Philadelphia or Boston to say nothing of the distance to Florida or Chicago or Texas or Colorado or California. And Europe generally has superior passenger rail and "low-cost" air service that can get you from London to Paris faster than from NY to nearly all of those places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-14 20:27 by SecondSet.

Date: November 14, 2023 20:21

bv
The planned tour this year - 2023 - was never announced. Nothing was canceled, nothing was postponed. Simple as that.

The tour next year - 2024 - is ready to roll, but as with every tour, they have the usual stopping points. So far everything is great as it seems. We will now more soon.

Nothing was delivered either and you ain't seen nothing yet.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: November 14, 2023 20:35

DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

Oh come on, you know the context of my point. I am, sadly, very well aware we are no longer in the EU, although we are geographically in Europe.

It still leaves my original point. Britain has embraced HD rather more enthusiastically than the US. So where is our tour?

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: November 14, 2023 20:48

GerardHennessy
DandelionPowderman
GerardHennessy
schwonek
GerardHennessy

17 Europe
18 Europe
19 US
21 US
22 Europe
24 US

Oh come on, you know the context of my point. I am, sadly, very well aware we are no longer in the EU, although we are geographically in Europe.

It still leaves my original point. Britain has embraced HD rather more enthusiastically than the US. So where is our tour?

The shows will come. I have to say though Summer 2024 is looking like it is is going to be the biggest and most packed I have ever seen for UK stadium, castle, festival and park shows. Along with the Euros, I would fully expect the thinking that 2025 is the Stones year for a European tour.

I'm happy to wait. We have all had our cake over the past decade. We just have to be patient now as anything can happen. I know it's hard but this is the price we pay for following the world's greatest band (who are loved all over the world!).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-14 20:50 by petewasbristol.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: November 14, 2023 21:42

petewasbristol

The shows will come. I have to say though Summer 2024 is looking like it is is going to be the biggest and most packed I have ever seen for UK stadium, castle, festival and park shows. Along with the Euros, I would fully expect the thinking that 2025 is the Stones year for a European tour.
Yep, and another big act will play in stadiums in Europe next year: AC/DC

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 14, 2023 21:56

GerardHennessy
Britain has embraced HD rather more enthusiastically than the US. So where is our tour?

And maybe Australia, NZ and Iceland embraced HD even more enthusiastically than the UK did. Where's their tour?

I'm sorry 300 million+ Americans didn't drop everything to embrace a new album in the first two weeks. Assuming your generalization is valid, this makes a U.S. tour even more vital.

But the reality is that there are so many metrics. Album charts are just one (outmoded) piece of the puzzle. "Angry" is climbing at least two of Billboard's radio airplay charts - mainstream rock and adult alternative, for example.

We're playing the long game here. HD will be marketed to death for the next three years. Everyone will get a chance to see the Stones, and to find something to complain about.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 14, 2023 22:58

DeanGoodman
GerardHennessy
Britain has embraced HD rather more enthusiastically than the US. So where is our tour?

And maybe Australia, NZ and Iceland embraced HD even more enthusiastically than the UK did. Where's their tour?

I'm sorry 300 million+ Americans didn't drop everything to embrace a new album in the first two weeks. Assuming your generalization is valid, this makes a U.S. tour even more vital.

But the reality is that there are so many metrics. Album charts are just one (outmoded) piece of the puzzle. "Angry" is climbing at least two of Billboard's radio airplay charts - mainstream rock and adult alternative, for example.

We're playing the long game here. HD will be marketed to death for the next three years. Everyone will get a chance to see the Stones, and to find something to complain about.

Enough people are still listening to the radio to actually chart what's happening there?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: November 15, 2023 00:44

Dan

Enough people are still listening to the radio to actually chart what's happening there?

Evidently!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1920212223242526272829...LastNext
Current Page: 24 of 44

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2170
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home