Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 44
Re: My prediction: Stones residency at the LV Sphere next year
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 6, 2023 05:00

They could just jam out and joke their
way thru on a 120 minute version of Tumblin' Dice ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 6, 2023 07:00

spikenyc
Wishful thinking but sorry I dont see it happening.
Do you really think Keef or any of the Stones want to spend an extended amount of time in Vegas? eye popping smiley

The thing is they wouldn't have to. I know during The Who's residency they commuted from LA exactly due to Roger's temperamental throat and it wouldn't surprise me if Rod Stewart and Elton John did too. It's a 45 min flight. Vegas has a whole separate area on the opposite end of the airport from the public entrance for charters miles closer to the strip so they don't even wait in airport traffic.

They take car rides longer than that to some venues.

The Sphere needs them more than they need the Sphere hence the offers might be too good to pass up.

I am not insisting they are, I am just saying the reasons they won't don't really hold up to deeper scrutiny.

A stadium tour might be too difficult to pull off and I don't even necessarily mean the band's capabilities either but spiraling costs and the ever present supply chain issues and venue availability.

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: September 6, 2023 07:16

I doubt they stay in Vegas. They do their show, hop their plane to L.A. and fly back in on show days. It's a very short flight and even more easy on a private jet.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: September 6, 2023 07:32

VoodooLounge13
I've been trying to come up with any new stadiums/arenas that have been since the '21 US tour, or places that they haven't played yet.......... Those will likely be on any itinerary.

I'm sure they would like to play at the new UBS Arena on Long Island (near NYC) and the MSG Sphere in Las Vegas, and brand new Snapdragon Stadium in San Diego.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 07:40 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 6, 2023 08:14

spikenyc
Do you really think Keef or any of the Stones want to spend an extended amount of time in Vegas? eye popping smiley

What's wrong with spending time in Vegas...? Unless it's mid-June through mid-September, it's beautiful!

The desert, the mountains, Lake Mead, Hoover Dam, views where you can see for 200 miles, you can rent an enormous, glorious secluded house, and of course the sweet petite Four Seasons--a city accustomed to providing massive privacy and security, world-class restaurants, a local scene Mick could sneak into without much notice...

Not saying all would stay in Vegas, for a protracted period of time, but it's actually nice and--as other have pointed out--only 45-60 minutes from LA, with 3 airports (my employer for years) that provide easy-in/easy-out for VIPS.

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 10:44 by swiss.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 6, 2023 09:46

No residency at all. This band won’t do that. They love to travel and play to as many people they can.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 11:49

We will see...

Travelling and touring, of course, but but some people here talk about them as if they were 25 years old and as they had never had any health issues , it's quite fascinating...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 11:51 by powerage78.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 6, 2023 15:20

My guess is they are going to announce 3-4 shows in London and/or NYC in Novemver and December. Like they did in 2012.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 15:54

Kurt
There's talk of one in London...

That was before the final cost of the Sphere : 2,3 billions $. Twice than predicted in 2018
Economists say it's impossible to make profitable at this cost.
Attendance : 18,600.

It's more expensive than the new LV Allegiant Stadium with a resident NFL franchise and where shows taking place sometimes (more than a decade before making some profits in this stadium).
Attendance : 65,000.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 15:57 by Massimo68.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 6, 2023 16:58

Let's hope not, they're not Pink Floyd.

Date: September 6, 2023 17:07

babyblue
No residency at all. This band won’t do that. They love to travel and play to as many people they can.

Does Keith ever even leave the hotel room? I know Charlie rarely did.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:26

Very cool idea - I'd like to see that Stones logo on the outside of the Sphere too!

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 6, 2023 17:27

The Sicilian

Pink Floyd? Please explain. I'm confused...

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:38

NashvilleBlues
The Sicilian

Pink Floyd was known to camp out in some cities during tours.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:13

The Sicilian
NashvilleBlues
The Sicilian

Pink Floyd was known to camp out in some cities during tours.

Oh, ok. I thought you were talking about a Las Vegas residency.

Posted by: jmd ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:46

Given that The Sphere is a vanity project of James Dolan, who owns MSG and related properties (Radio City, The Beacon Theatre, etc.), I could see some megabucks deal for Stones to play several shows at The Sphere and MSG.

Hopefully, JD and the Straight Shot would not be the opener:

[jdandthestraightshot.com]

(For more on Dolan, there’s a recent podcast earlier this year called “Owned” that did a five part series on him, MSG and the NY Knicks. Episode 5 was about The Sphere…pretty interesting.)

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 19:57

They could do a Madonna style residency at the Palladium in London she played there for 2 or 3 weeks (when not injured). It was the most boring concert I ever experienced because of its too clever for its own good concept. It is a great venue and with a Stones classical warhorses and a couple of rarities concept It could work really well. Another London venue that could work really well over a few weeks would be the Royal Albert Hall.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 6, 2023 20:39

Rocky Dijon
I would suspect that a residency in Vegas would be very hard on Mick's throat.

And on his image! I think Mick would rather die in a corner than give in to a format which is irretrievably associated with oldies and/or those past their peak. I would never rule out a couple of shows in one city over a couple of weeks - they've essentially done that in London before now - but no true residency.

Date: September 6, 2023 21:14

Vegas might be for oldies but London and or New York would work. Look at Springsteen residency in New York it was a great success.
The Stones could do a theatre show their own way of course. Most of their repertoire is suited to a small stage.

Date: September 6, 2023 21:27

desertblues68
Vegas might be for oldies but London and or New York would work. Look at Springsteen residency in New York it was a great success.
The Stones could do a theatre show their own way of course. Most of their repertoire is suited to a small stage.

Artists of all ages and genres play there now. I saw Miranda Lambert there 5 times! Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga at the Park MGM are huge ones. Katy Perry, lots more country artists.

I don't really see them doing a small venue residency. The money has to be huge. And keep in mind they only do 2 shows a week but the meter on everything else is running around the clock.

Also with 14 stadiums a year and a massive amount of people already traveling to see them, including some to every single show combined with stadiums that were mostly just 75% full it's not that much of a stretch to just park somewhere and make it a destination location.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: September 6, 2023 21:31

Lady Jayne
Rocky Dijon
I would suspect that a residency in Vegas would be very hard on Mick's throat.

And on his image! I think Mick would rather die in a corner than give in to a format which is irretrievably associated with oldies and/or those past their peak. I would never rule out a couple of shows in one city over a couple of weeks - they've essentially done that in London before now - but no true residency.

I don't think the Vegas residency has the same connotation of washed up artists as it once did. Lady Gaga and Adele are both headlining sold out residencies there and they are still firmly in their prime. I personally hate Las Vegas and would much prefer to see them in New York and/or London, though.

Date: September 6, 2023 21:43

Sorry I am a bit out of date regarding Las Vegas, was there just for one night in 1997 during my USA west coast holiday/vacation.
I remember Mark Knopfler doing a couple of weeks at the Royal Albert Hall, a 5000 people circa venue. With minimum lighting and a simple stage set up, our boys could perform a couple of days a week. The Venue could hold other events when they are not there. The sound at the RAH is simply amazing and the setting is so beautiful. I am a bit concerned about them playing outdoors and being at rhe mercy of the weather.

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:09

I just can't see them giving up the stadiums with this new album. If there is another tour the demand will be there so why not keep playing at the biggest venues.

Residencies have always seemed lazy to me.

Date: September 6, 2023 22:18

I don't see the stones doing a residency in LV. I don't think they like it

Also, they probably want to release all the art related to the new album in a new stage. And a small place like the sphere makes it very difficult

maybe in a tour all over the usa they could do 1 or 2 shows in LV (either in the sphere or in another place), but not a residency

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:43

People are always clamouring for the band to do a residency in Las Vegas - I think if they liked the idea they would have done it by now. Desert air doesn't suit Mick's voice, and I don't think they want to settle down in one spot for the rest of their career. They like touring, and will do it as long as they can.

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:28

Nobody noticed?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 23:29 by bluenote.

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: September 7, 2023 04:13

bluenote

Nobody noticed?

We noticed. BV addressed it.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 7, 2023 04:25

My prediction from several years ago still stands....smiling smiley

L.A., Vegas, Chicago, and NY...I can still see it happening...possibly....maybe Toronto also so they can call it a North American mini-tour....

Posted by: rbp ()
Date: September 7, 2023 05:57

Stones philosophy of minimum work for maximum profit means it ain't gonna happen.

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: September 7, 2023 06:40

I was hoping for a show at sphere around the f1 race in November in Vegas but its a night race so conflicts.

The sphere has a general admission area which can make capacity about 20,000.
Also would likely be a full 2 hours show- Adele is a full show.

I would say a residency with a series of back to back shows is not likely because of the rest days. For example Saturday then Wednesday then Sunday then Thursday then Monday not ideal. Maybe they would do Saturday then increase the rest period and have the next show the next Saturday.

Also a big feature of the sphere is no production, rigging and trucks. They just show up.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 44

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2026
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home