Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 44
Re: 2024 Tour?
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 16, 2023 16:10

If I would place a list here with negative remarks over de past 7 years (after Blue and Lonesome) or even worse over the past 18 years (after A Bigger Bang) about "the next album" bv would kick me in the arse.
Patience has always been the strong part of many diehard Rolling Stones fans and here we are: ... Hackney Diamonds.
Planning a new tour (or anything that replaces a "tour" by maybe surprise live shows) these days is very complex. What about "age versus tour/travel ensurances"? What about possible upcoming major natural disasters (they are all around already, and more to come I'm afraid)? Great flexibility (how to incorporate it) is crucial there.

Again the secret is once again ... patience ... (not so difficult with Hackney Diamonds coming out soon cool smiley)

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 16, 2023 16:10

keefriffhards

Mick still hasn't discussed why he couldn't tour this year.

The [NYTimes.com] wrote: "A tour was put off, delayed by the lag in pressing vinyl and by stadiums already booked for Beyoncé and Taylor Swift tours. But the album got done." - [iorr.org] . Could also be an excuse.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 16, 2023 16:51

RisingStone
keefriffhards
I just don't want the Stones carrying on like the Who and Aerosmith, just a pathetic image of their former selves.

I haven’t seen Aerosmith for ages (last time 2004), but The Who were amazing when I caught them in Chester-le-Street in July.

The Who can be amazing, and still be a pale shadow of their former selves. When firing on all cylinders, the original 4 members were incredibly powerful.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 16, 2023 17:14

Irix
keefriffhards

The [NYTimes.com] wrote: "A tour was put off, delayed by the lag in pressing vinyl and by stadiums already booked for Beyoncé and Taylor Swift tours. But the album got done." - [iorr.org] . Could also be an excuse.

Yes, I don't think that's the whole story. Remember the Stones had stadiums booked (14 shows in 13 cities) from June 6 to August 1 this year with no conflicts with either Swift or Beyoncé.

If there was a schedule conflict/venue availability issue, that might mean there was one in the fall of 2023 where the Stones reportedly tried to reschedule the summer tour.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-16 17:26 by Topi.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 16, 2023 19:25

bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards
I just don't want the Stones carrying on like the Who and Aerosmith, just a pathetic image of their former selves.

I haven’t seen Aerosmith for ages (last time 2004), but The Who were amazing when I caught them in Chester-le-Street in July.

The Who can be amazing, and still be a pale shadow of their former selves. When firing on all cylinders, the original 4 members were incredibly powerful.

Well, the last public performance by The Who with the original four members was at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada, October 21, 1976, which is 47 years ago. After that, the group played three performances in the TV studios as well as two at a small theatre for the purpose of documentary shooting before Keith Moon’s death in 1978. Do you say the hundreds of the shows they played afterwords to this day were by the group that is “a pale shadow of their former selves”? And did keefriffhards mean it that way when he put they are “just a pathetic image of their former selves”?

If so, through the large part of their career (for 45 out of 60 years), they have been a shadow or pathetic image of their former selves.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 16, 2023 22:21

Topi
Irix
keefriffhards

Yes, I don't think that's the whole story. Remember the Stones had stadiums booked (14 shows in 13 cities) from June 6 to August 1 this year with no conflicts with either Swift or Beyoncé.

If there was a schedule conflict/venue availability issue, that might mean there was one in the fall of 2023 where the Stones reportedly tried to reschedule the summer tour.

Thanks for explaining to Irix, I couldn't be bothered to explain, if people can't keep up.

Date: September 16, 2023 22:50

The 'Vinyl delay' excuse is also a bit doubtful. From the 2021 'LP shortages' article by [Variety.com] : "You could open a [pressing] plant tomorrow and you’d probably have a call from Universal next week trying to block out the next few months of capacity." This means that Universal Music tries to secure manufacturing capacity in advance and decides later which artists will get the manufacturing slots. By the end of 2022, Universal Music was able to provide at least 5 different Vinyl editions of Taylor Swift's 'Midnights' album - [www.Billboard.com] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-16 22:55 by Irix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2023 03:37

Irix
The 'Vinyl delay' excuse is also a bit doubtful. From the 2021 'LP shortages' article by [Variety.com] : "You could open a [pressing] plant tomorrow and you’d probably have a call from Universal next week trying to block out the next few months of capacity." This means that Universal Music tries to secure manufacturing capacity in advance and decides later which artists will get the manufacturing slots. By the end of 2022, Universal Music was able to provide at least 5 different Vinyl editions of Taylor Swift's 'Midnights' album - [www.Billboard.com] .

AND that's why we didn't get 15 different vinyl versions! smoking smiley

Posted by: bam ()
Date: September 17, 2023 04:36

RisingStone
bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards

Well, the last public performance by The Who with the original four members was at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada, October 21, 1976, which is 47 years ago. After that, the group played three performances in the TV studios as well as two at a small theatre for the purpose of documentary shooting before Keith Moon’s death in 1978. Do you say the hundreds of the shows they played afterwords to this day were by the group that is “a pale shadow of their former selves”? And did keefriffhards mean it that way when he put they are “just a pathetic image of their former selves”?

If so, through the large part of their career (for 45 out of 60 years), they have been a shadow or pathetic image of their former selves.

I’m happy to clarify. I’ll post a reply over at The Who Stuff thread, instead of cluttering this thread.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 17, 2023 05:30

MonicaDe
No, it won't be North America.
It shouldn't be North America again.
No matter what you think and based on what your wishes are.
They SHOULD tour in Europe in 2024.
But, as I said, the business will be always the business.

Their biggest album sales have always been in the States. The UK sales are a joke in comparison. For example, VOODOO LOUNGE - 100,000 sales in the UK vs 100,000 sales in Holland.

Huge difference. Yes, same amount but huge difference.

How many people live in London? It's absurd how London doesn't support the Stones (and some other bands).

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: September 17, 2023 08:19

I wonder if we'll get lucky and get a late November announcement, like the 2019 No Filter tour...

Date: September 17, 2023 11:00

treaclefingers

that's why we didn't get 15 different vinyl versions!

Yeah, they couldn't go on Tour because the 15 different Vinyl versions weren't ready for the merchandise booths .... winking smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 17, 2023 12:42

Irix

it don't consider the 'vinyl delay' excuse as so doubtful. At least we should kept in mind that nobody was able to tell when the Stones were to finish their new album.

Date: September 17, 2023 12:51

But why would they book a 14-show tour and be ready to announce it on February 17th if they weren't sure as to when the vinyl pressing would be ready?

Date: September 17, 2023 13:05

slewan

At least we should kept in mind that nobody was able to tell when the Stones were to finish their new album.

But the 'Vinyl delay' is nothing new. They should heard of & be aware of. Maybe they missed their self-set deadline and then it was too late because you cannot get the Vinyl pressed overnight.

Another interesting aspect is that there was no official, final tracklist for the new album until 14-Sep-2023. Seems that the album production (musically wise) wasn't finished in time.

And from [RollingStone.com] : "[Andrew] Watt suggested they do an acoustic blues, but Jagger wasn’t interested in writing an original. 'He’s like, ‘Andy, I don’t have time to write f*cking blues lyrics; I’m writing 28 lyrics that I have to make sure I have finished,'' Watt recalls. So they decided instead that Jagger and Richards should take it way back with 'Rollin’ Stone'." - [iorr.org] . Sounds like a last minute decision.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 17:10 by Irix.

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: September 17, 2023 13:34

My guess is, they decided to finish the album and go on tour after it's release.

Date: September 17, 2023 13:55

RisingStone
bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards

To clarify, I've followed the WHO seen them as many times as the Stones, often I've enjoyed their performances over the years as much as the Stones, I'm fully aware (other than a few days ago (when Roger couldn't sing so left the stage) of how powerful Roger has been singing in the last couple of years.
But what saddens me is Roger hardly able to move on stage, Pete a shadow of the performer he once was, i think they lost their power as a band and like the Stones it's all about power and making it right.

Same with Aerosmith, i know Steve Tyler still belts it out but the band are literally a poor imitation of what they was 10 years ago.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 17, 2023 14:10

Irix
slewan

At least we should kept in mind that nobody was able to tell when the Stones were to finish their new album.

But the 'Vinyl delay' is nothing new. They should heard of & be aware of. Maybe they missed their self-set deadline and then it was too late because you cannot get the Vinyl pressed overnight.

that's exactly my point. It's hard to reserve pressing capacities when you can't say when your recordings are finished

Posted by: pftw04 ()
Date: September 17, 2023 14:31

As I have mentioned earlier and still saying, I don't really feel that they will tour behind this new album Hackney Diamond. Mick Jagger is already 80 and Keith will hit 80 at the end of this year. And as someone mentioned that there are few questions, that will actually remain as question, that an album was supposed to be released in 2018, as they started working from 2015. Why it took 8 years to be released when they started working on it on 2015 or 2016? Anyway I am not much into it. Because I love all the albums of ROLLING STONES

Date: September 17, 2023 14:40

slewan

It's hard to reserve pressing capacities when you can't say when your recordings are finished

On the other hand, Universal Music should have some reserve manufacturing slots to prevent such circumstances, at least for artists of such caliber.

But who knows, what prevented them from touring: an allegedly injury, the Vinyl delay or booked out venues .... you have the choice.

Date: September 17, 2023 14:55

pftw04

Why it took 8 years to be released when they started working on it on 2015 or 2016?

Mick had explained it in the [TheTimes.co.uk] : "I didn’t want to make an album that was just an assembly of what we had done over the past five years, which would mean three good tracks, five OK, three mediocre. And to be perfectly honest I thought that was where we were heading.” - [iorr.org] .

In the [RollingStone.com] , Mick again said about the new album: "I wanted it to be great. I didn’t want it to be just an album that was OK. And I think the album delivered what I wanted.” - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 16:45 by Irix.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 17, 2023 17:11

keefriffhards
RisingStone
bam
RisingStone
keefriffhards

To clarify, I've followed the WHO seen them as many times as the Stones, often I've enjoyed their performances over the years as much as the Stones, I'm fully aware (other than a few days ago (when Roger couldn't sing so left the stage) of how powerful Roger has been singing in the last couple of years.
But what saddens me is Roger hardly able to move on stage, Pete a shadow of the performer he once was, i think they lost their power as a band and like the Stones it's all about power and making it right.

Same with Aerosmith, i know Steve Tyler still belts it out but the band are literally a poor imitation of what they was 10 years ago.

As bam posted above, this debate has been moved to The Who thread and I posted a comment there.

I’m okay with Mick reducing (not stopping) moving on stage.

Date: September 17, 2023 17:38

Irix
slewan

It's hard to reserve pressing capacities when you can't say when your recordings are finished

On the other hand, Universal Music should have some reserve manufacturing slots to prevent such circumstances, at least for artists of such caliber.

But who knows, what prevented them from touring: an allegedly injury, the Vinyl delay or booked out venues .... you have the choice.

As regards the planned summer tour, it wasn't the venues. That part they had figured out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 17:42 by Topi.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 17, 2023 17:41

pftw04
As I have mentioned earlier and still saying, I don't really feel that they will tour behind this new album Hackney Diamond. Mick Jagger is already 80 and Keith will hit 80 at the end of this year. And as someone mentioned that there are few questions, that will actually remain as question, that an album was supposed to be released in 2018, as they started working from 2015. Why it took 8 years to be released when they started working on it on 2015 or 2016? Anyway I am not much into it. Because I love all the albums of ROLLING STONES

I have to disagree with you. I know a man in the music business and he said he heard Stones will tour next year, why not, it’s suppose to be their best effort since 70s or 80s. The Stones love to play live & travel different cities. Just hang on be patient it will happen. I just have that feeling.

Date: September 17, 2023 18:00

Topi

As regards the planned summer tour, it wasn't the venues.

But the New York Times still wants us to believe that - [iorr.org] .

Maybe the Tour as originally planned was put aside because the new album wasn't finished in time (NYT: 'not fully mixed by Feb. 14') and the timeframe needed for the Vinyl manufacturing didn't allow a release before Tour start. And then the Tour rescheduling for autumn wasn't possible due to the already booked out venues. Maybe those circumstances were combined into one sentence by the New York Times.

Update: in the interview 'Q with Tom Power' on [www.YouTube.com] - (Pos. 0:45) - Mick says that the mixing of the album was finished at the beginning of March 2023 and that it took so long to make the Vinyl.

I could imagine, that Friday, 2-Jun-2023 would have been a good date for the album release due to Charlie's 82nd birthday. Maybe the timeframe between early March and end of May was a bit too short.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-18 23:15 by Irix.

Date: September 17, 2023 20:37

Irix
Topi

Maybe the Tour as originally planned was put aside because the new album wasn't finished in time (NYT: 'not fully mixed by Feb. 14') and the timeframe needed for the Vinyl manufacturing didn't allow a release before Tour start. And then the Tour rescheduling for autumn wasn't possible due to the already booked out venues. Maybe those circumstances were combined into one sentence by the New York Times.

I don't think the album effects any decision to tour, the money is in the tours, I think we finally got the album because they had the time to finish it because the tour was pre announced postponed only to be pre postponed due to logistics causing no announcements from pre tour announcements postponements.
You see how easy it is to understand now , you just have to keep up.

Date: September 17, 2023 20:55

keefriffhards

Or take the sentence from the New York Times as it is and just don't question it. Alternatively, you can believe the 'injury' rumor which was posted here end of February 2023 - [iorr.org] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 21:40 by Irix.

Date: September 17, 2023 22:21

Irix
keefriffhards

Or take the sentence from the New York Times as it is and just don't question it. Alternatively, you can believe the 'injury' rumor which was posted here end of February 2023 - [iorr.org] .

Yes the injury that caused the postponed pre tour announcement.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: September 17, 2023 23:45

Didn’t BV support injury reason though ( May have that wrong)

Date: September 18, 2023 01:09

Irix
Topi

I can almost buy what you're selling, but the alleged injury part is missing from your equation.

But as I said before - the venue/crew availability may definitely have been an issue with the rescheduling of the tour for the fall.

(But why a capital T in the word "tour"?)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-18 09:26 by Topi.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 44

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home