Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 19 of 22
Re: ANGRY - new Stones single and video
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2023 10:26

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Irix
DandelionPowderman

Rollin' Stone being the exception on HD, of course smiling smiley

As far as I know, it was recorded on tape to get the 'vintage effect' - but the rest (mixing/mastering, etc) could also be digital.

Could be. Only three tracks to mix, though (vocal harp and guitar), so they could have done it old school.

Ah - what an odd way of figuring out why it took so long to get the vinyl pressed:

All because they used 2 inch tape for the last song and, instead of just uploading it to Pro Tools for, in this case, editing and mixing, but for mixing and then mastering they chose to go old skool and master it to tape, through only one of 4 Neve boards left in the world (or whatever it is) which then requires its own master print for each format, and they had to halt the entire vinyl printing process from the Pro Tools recordings master for the 2 inch recording's master...

Do you we know which studio has the neve board that they used? Would have been cool if they'd gone down to Muscle Shoals to record it.

Voodoo, I don't know if they did, I just put that (and the amount I made up but it's actually something ridiculous like that as I recall in terms of how many are left... I think, or something like that) in there because all the audio production people go bonko about those boards!

I think Mick said that about recording to tape, the first time they'd recorded to tape (he wasn't specific, if he would've been he would've said 1985) in years (or decades, something like that). He didn't mention anything else.

Recording to analogue tape via a vintage desk may have been great fun, and there may well be a nice tonal character retained from the process...

...but it will then have been transferred to the same digital master as all the other tracks and will then be no more analogue than they are.

[I'd love a bit of audible tape his though. in the quiet bits of many old analogue records and via a good system, you can hear the engineer moving the faders up and down, with the ebb & flow of the hiss.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-13 10:33 by Spud.

Re: Angry - Track Talk
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2023 21:53

Not sure if anyone posted it in here or not, but the Japanese version of the SHM CD Single comes with a mini poster while the few left in stock last:

Angry

There are only 7 left.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 18, 2023 02:31

Angry reaches #37 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks and #16 on Billboard's Rock & Alternative Airplay.
[www.billboard.com]
[www.billboard.com]

Also the song reached the #10 on UK's Radio Airplay chart and was certified with 5,000 plays in the UK:

Date: October 18, 2023 22:43

georgelicks
Angry reaches #37 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks and #16 on Billboard's Rock & Alternative Airplay.
[www.billboard.com]
[www.billboard.com]

Also the song reached the #10 on UK's Radio Airplay chart and was certified with 5,000 plays in the UK:

Gabrielle dreams? What year we are living in? That song is older than the stones

Date: October 18, 2023 22:46

Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill streaming - 18MM now.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 19, 2023 04:33

Spud
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
Irix
DandelionPowderman

Rollin' Stone being the exception on HD, of course smiling smiley

As far as I know, it was recorded on tape to get the 'vintage effect' - but the rest (mixing/mastering, etc) could also be digital.

Could be. Only three tracks to mix, though (vocal harp and guitar), so they could have done it old school.

Ah - what an odd way of figuring out why it took so long to get the vinyl pressed:

All because they used 2 inch tape for the last song and, instead of just uploading it to Pro Tools for, in this case, editing and mixing, but for mixing and then mastering they chose to go old skool and master it to tape, through only one of 4 Neve boards left in the world (or whatever it is) which then requires its own master print for each format, and they had to halt the entire vinyl printing process from the Pro Tools recordings master for the 2 inch recording's master...

Do you we know which studio has the neve board that they used? Would have been cool if they'd gone down to Muscle Shoals to record it.

Voodoo, I don't know if they did, I just put that (and the amount I made up but it's actually something ridiculous like that as I recall in terms of how many are left... I think, or something like that) in there because all the audio production people go bonko about those boards!

I think Mick said that about recording to tape, the first time they'd recorded to tape (he wasn't specific, if he would've been he would've said 1985) in years (or decades, something like that). He didn't mention anything else.

Recording to analogue tape via a vintage desk may have been great fun, and there may well be a nice tonal character retained from the process...

...but it will then have been transferred to the same digital master as all the other tracks and will then be no more analogue than they are.

[I'd love a bit of audible tape his though. in the quiet bits of many old analogue records and via a good system, you can hear the engineer moving the faders up and down, with the ebb & flow of the hiss.]

I love how people are excited that this album will be on vinyl and "that's the best way to listen" when... it's basically a CD copied to vinyl. It's certainly not for the sound quality.

Yes, even the 2 inch analog recording of Rollin' Stone Blues was transferred to digital so...

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: October 23, 2023 09:49

Still can't get this song out of my head it is annoyingly catchy.

I find myself (as does my wife) replacing the word angry with random words including the pets names etc and singing the chorus with that word.

Glad the song is still on my radar though thumbs up

Undertheradar
Disclaimer: I was drunk when I wrote this ;-)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 23, 2023 10:45

GasLightStreet

...I love how people are excited that this album will be on vinyl and "that's the best way to listen" when... it's basically a CD copied to vinyl. It's certainly not for the sound quality...

Well, it's not quite that bad .

The vinyl is cut from the flat digital stereo master...which these days is a hell of a lot better than CD quality...

...but I still take your point ...once it's been transferred to digital, at whatever stage in the process, it's no longer truly analogue.

I do think that digital sound can be very good these days ...CD standard was just never good enough .

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 23, 2023 14:45

Date: October 23, 2023 21:57

FINALLY!!!!!

20MM Streams on YT!!!!! Mission accomplished!!! I shall finish streaming it for the rest of the day and then call it quits!!!!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: October 24, 2023 18:07

What Angry could've sounded like with Charlie on drums...

[youtu.be]

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 2, 2023 19:42

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 3, 2023 18:28

Instrumental:
[youtu.be]

Posted by: Roc ()
Date: November 3, 2023 19:02

HardRiffin
Instrumental:
[youtu.be]

Truly beautiful!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 5, 2023 23:30

Rocky Dijon
Doxa
Everyone (with sanity) knows something happened back then that is no way acceptable nowadays (forget the macho men living in the past loving to hate anything modern).

Cheers!

Hi Rocky - where are you, man? Your thoughts about the new album? This is the last post of yours (it's been over six weeks) and no way I accept that it was that quoted bit that drove you away.

- Doxa

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: November 6, 2023 01:05

I like it a lot.
I'm not a big fan of what they released the last 15-20 years as singles.
I loved the ''catchy'' ones... (Don't Stop, One More Shot) but couldn't care for Ghost Town or Doom & Gloom.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: November 6, 2023 09:28

Doxa
Rocky Dijon
Doxa
Everyone (with sanity) knows something happened back then that is no way acceptable nowadays (forget the macho men living in the past loving to hate anything modern).

Cheers!

Hi Rocky - where are you, man? Your thoughts about the new album? This is the last post of yours (it's been over six weeks) and no way I accept that it was that quoted bit that drove you away.

- Doxa

Hope Rocky is allright, Unless Rocky's been banned it's a peculiar time to be MIA.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: November 9, 2023 20:21

I'm fine. Just largely taking a break from social media. I have chatted with Bard a bit because "Old Habits Die Hard," but that's been it.

I'm not a macho man, Doxa, just a dinosaur. Consequently, I have never been upset with you or anything you have expressed.

Even when I've irritated the heck out of Bjornulf, he never banned me.

Hairball's passing hit me hard, truth be told, and it took a lot of the fun out of the site for me.

Now, as for the album: I play it nearly every day. I mess with the running order because I tend to obsess on these things. My favorites are Whole Wide World, Depending On You, Driving Me Too Hard, Live By the Sword, Mess It Up, Bite My Head Off, and (of course) Rollin' Stone. Tell Me Straight struck me as very similar (from guitar tone, at least) to Jim Barber's instrumental "Right, Off You Go" cut during the UNDERCOVER sessions with Charlie, Stu, Chuck, and Chris Kimsey.

The album is far better than I was expecting. I don't agree that it's the best since 1972 or 1978 or 1981. I truly love this band's output so this is just another Stones album I love. It is unique and was not what the output since A BIGGER BANG led me to anticipate. I still love VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON. I still defend Don Was as a producer and think Chuck can be terrific in the studio. I don't particularly like Andy Watt, but I love the album so he can't be all bad.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 9, 2023 23:29

Awwww good ta see ya back Rocky .....

Same here have played around with running order
and random play but reckon they have it pretty well spot on ...

Understand the placing of Rolling Stones Blues on the end
and the haunting final lyrics if Hack is Stones final album
but it's a hard spot after the monumental Sweet Sounds
Maybe woulda carried even more weight as Angry B-side ....

Driving Me a Keith song and if he penned the actual lyrics then
they seem like a message to Mick but with Mick on vocals it takes
on a slightly different feel/meaning

Tell Me Straight also feels like an honest message to Mick

Also interesting to find out that Matt Clifford
dug out Tell Me Straight and suggested they finish it off .....

Stay Safe Rocky .......

ROCKMAN

Grammy Nomination- ANGRY
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 10, 2023 19:18

Although they missed the release date cutoff for the new album (Oct. 1, 2022 – Sept. 15, 2023) the boys did manage a Grammy nomination for Angry for Best Rock Song as it was released Sept 6th.

Congrats to them!.. I'm betting next year they garner several nominations from Hackney Diamonds..(Best Rock Song (SSOH) Best Rock Album, Rock Performance, Producer, etc)

Best Rock Song
Boygenius - Not Strong Enough
Foo Fighters - Rescued
Olivia Rodrigo - Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl
Queens of the Stone Age - Emotion Sickness
The Rolling Stones - Angry
[pitchfork.com]

2024 Grammy Nomination - Best Rock Song for 'Angry'
Date: November 10, 2023 21:37

The 2024 Grammy nomination for Best Rock Song:

Best Rock Song

Not Strong Enough, Boygenius
Rescued, Foo Fighters
Ballad of a Homeschooled Girl, Olivia Rodrigo
Emotion Sickness, Queens of the Stone Age
Angry, The Rolling Stones

I see now this was already posted in the 'Angry' song thread, so hopefully this can be moved or erased.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-10 21:39 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Re: 2024 Grammy Nomination - Best Rock Song for 'Angry'
Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: November 10, 2023 22:19

Why erase or remove. It’s news! So just let it stay as a new topic. Thanks for the share.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 10, 2023 22:38

Don't worry MrForeverMusicFan.

BV won't be angry with you. I don't think.

I understand the cutoff date was Sep 15th for the Grammy's, which is why that appears to be the only nomination that qualified for this year, so next year's nominations should be interesting.

Date: November 10, 2023 22:38

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 16:03 by treaclefingers.

Date: November 10, 2023 23:14

treaclefingers
Don't worry MrForeverMusicFan.

BV won't be angry with you. I don't think.

I understand the cutoff date was Sep 15th for the Grammy's, which is why that appears to be the only nomination that qualified for this year, so next year's nominations should be interesting.

U2 went through a similar scenario twice.

1. At the 43rd Annual Grammy Awards (Feb 2001) the song 'Beautiful Day' was nominated and won three times (Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal, Song of the Year, and Record of the Year).

However, the All That You Can't Leave Behind album was released on Oct 30, 2000, but missed the cutoff date for Grammy nominations.

Next year at the 44th Annual Grammy Awards (Feb 2002), ATYCLB won Best Rock album, and the songs 'Elevation', 'Walk On', and 'Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of' also won awards.

2. At the 47th Annual Grammy Awards (Feb 2005), the song 'Vertigo' was nominated and won three times (Best Short Form Music Video, Best Rock Song, and Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal).

However, the How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb album was released on Nov 22, 2004, but missed the cutoff date for Grammy nominations.

Next year at the 48th Annual Grammy Awards (Feb 2006), HTDAAB won Best Rock album and Album Of The Year and the songs 'City of Blinding Lights' and 'Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own' also won awards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 01:22 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Date: November 10, 2023 23:43

Should be interesting. I see the Foo's as the only real competition here.

Date: November 10, 2023 23:59

VoodooLounge13
Should be interesting. I see the Foo's as the only real competition here.

As Mr. T was wont to say, "I PITY THE FOO'S!"

Posted by: soufsouf129 ()
Date: November 11, 2023 00:14

Its difficult to predict between the foo fighters and the Stones, the Stones are the Stones but this FF's Song Is about Hawkings so its pretty much fifty fifty.
I wouldnt be surprised if foo fighters get this because they intend to give HD best rock album in 2025.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 11, 2023 00:37

I think Angry is one of the weakest tracks on the album.. they should have nominated Live by the Sword!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 00:49 by NilsHolgersson.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2023 00:43

Sword is me fave on Hack
but it dont have the single power of Angry ...

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-11 01:14 by Rockman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 19 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1562
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home