Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cotchford Farm Is An Airbnb
Posted by: DelcoProud ()
Date: August 27, 2023 14:24

$1250 a night to stay at Brian's house.

Looks beautiful -- and renovated. I wonder whether it was equally well-appointed when Brian lived there.

Re: Cotchford Farm Is An Airbnb
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: August 27, 2023 15:59

And you may even swim in the pool...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 28, 2023 09:29

The Joker
And you may even swim in the pool...

Bloody hell. Yeah, it is just another swiming pool, and one can swim anywhere, man... But how damn bizar or even sick it would be for a Rolling Stones fan...

- Doxa

Posted by: novica ()
Date: August 28, 2023 09:44

Doxa

... But how damn bizar or even sick it would be for a Rolling Stones fan...

- Doxa
...creepy

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 28, 2023 09:49

Didnt they wreck the old
pool and sell off the tiles ??????

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MonicaDe ()
Date: August 28, 2023 10:51

It looks absolutely stunning! The only problem is...my credit card said 'NO' sad smiley

Posted by: Kingbeebuzz ()
Date: August 28, 2023 12:36

Yes Rockman is right.
The house was sold and the pool was renovated.
The original tiles were sold off, you could buy just one if you wanted.

In the 1960s when Brian was there, the house would have been much more basic, probably less plush. Even things like the heating / hot water system and the kitchen were not as they are today. The UK was not long into "formica" kitchen worktops !! (now there's a memory)

Don't forget that Brian did not own the house for that long before he died and was still having building work (that is, improvements) carried out on the house when he passed.

Date: August 28, 2023 12:48

Cotchford Farm is important not only for the obvious reason, but in Stones history this is the place that Brian was sacked from the hugely successful band he had created.

Only the Beatles were bigger than the Stones in the sixties. So what happened in the house that night in 1969 when Mick & Charlie visited totally changed the course of the Stones as a band.

Please note :
I can't remember which Stones visited that night but I'm sure I read that Charlie went down.
I also think I read a long time ago that they all sat in the kitchen when Brian was sacked.

Any clarification on this (from His Majesty perhaps?) would be welcome.

Date: August 28, 2023 14:05

Mick, Keith and Charlie was there.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 28, 2023 14:18

A.A. Milne wrote all the Winnie the Pooh stories there, too. This is fact that’s probably lost on many, here!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 28, 2023 15:04

Kingbeebuzz
Cotchford Farm is important not only for the obvious reason, but in Stones history this is the place that Brian was sacked from the hugely successful band he had created.

Only the Beatles were bigger than the Stones in the sixties. So what happened in the house that night in 1969 when Mick & Charlie visited totally changed the course of the Stones as a band.

Please note :
I can't remember which Stones visited that night but I'm sure I read that Charlie went down.
I also think I read a long time ago that they all sat in the kitchen when Brian was sacked.

Any clarification on this (from His Majesty perhaps?) would be welcome.

Was Brian really sacked -the statements from all involved was that it was a mutual decision they would separate, and he would go his own way.

Mathijs

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 28, 2023 16:14

a beautiful house and property indeed. As as stones fan ...I could probably enjoy the grounds and house ...play a little guitar for Brian. Think of the Winnie the Pooh being created there. I could not and would not go in the pool. Not knockin' other folks who may and have no thoughts or feelings for the stones. Just my thoughts. Too many other places on the planet to see.

Date: August 28, 2023 16:19

I believe Brian was sacked.
By “mutual decision or agreement” is wording still regularly used today to present a bad situation to the public in a good light. To maintain the dignity of all involved.
In later years Charlie is on film as saying, basically, (this is not the exact quote) “we took everything from him, even his band” or words to that effect.
Brian’s father also gave an interview saying more or less the same thing.

If Charlie said that, and he was there, then although I may be wrong, I believe he was sacked. It is said the door was left open for him to return to the band in the future, but in those situations that’s what people often say to lessen the blow. The reality was the band would naturally evolve without him, as it did, so how could he ever rejoin practically.

Hence, he was thrown out of the band he started.

Date: August 28, 2023 16:31

Kingbeebuzz
By “mutual decision or agreement” is wording still regularly used today to present a bad situation to the public in a good light. To maintain the dignity of all involved.
In later years Charlie is on film as saying, basically, (this is not the exact quote) “we took everything from him, even his band” or words to that effect.

If Charlie said that, and he was there, then although I may be wrong, I believe he was sacked. It is said the door was left open for him to return to the band in the future, but in those situations that’s what people often say to lessen the blow. The reality was the band would naturally evolve without him, as it did, so how could he ever rejoin practically.

Was that as common back then?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 28, 2023 16:49

DandelionPowderman
Kingbeebuzz

I doubt that was a new invention. Keep in mind Brian had fans so it wasn't in anyone's interest to proudly claim Brian was fired.

Something else interesting though, in that they "left the door open" for a return. I don't know that that's true, however if one could imagine Brian cleaning up, mellowing out and getting reengaged in music, playing successfully on some joint ventures I wonder whether Mick and Keith might have considered him in 1975 for reintegration?

Date: August 28, 2023 16:55

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Kingbeebuzz

I doubt that was a new invention. Keep in mind Brian had fans so it wasn't in anyone's interest to proudly claim Brian was fired.

Something else interesting though, in that they "left the door open" for a return. I don't know that that's true, however if one could imagine Brian cleaning up, mellowing out and getting reengaged in music, playing successfully on some joint ventures I wonder whether Mick and Keith might have considered him in 1975 for reintegration?

Probably not smiling smiley

However, I think it's safe to say that the sugarcoating today, when things like this are announced publicly, can be pretty extreme.

Yeah, I don't know if that is true, either, but interesting indeed.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 29, 2023 01:19

It was inevitable, wasn't it? How many Let It Bleed sessions did he show up for? Especially after being less involved with Beggars Banquet. Something happened between Satanic Majesties and BB. He's all over Satanic Majesties, and starts to tail off for BB, and is practically non-existent on Let It Bleed.

I've never quite understood why Brian chose this time to lose interest, or disintegrate, or whatever happened. He was allegedly unhappy with the discs they were cutting. But those discs were closer to what was considered his kind of music, a return to blues and R&B, right in his wheelhouse. He was supposedly really into what CCR was creating. How was it that much different?

He must have been impossible to deal with by then. Reports are that he wasn't all that surprised by the sacking. Whether it was bravado, or what, he seemed to be moving on, determined to be the leader this time. He still hadn't written a memorable song. He'd never demonstrated vocal talent. He wasn't a particularly talented rhythm guitarist. The pop world was demanding great guitar work, and he had fallen down on the job.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 29, 2023 09:52

Kingbeebuzz
It is said the door was left open for him to return to the band in the future

It is said where or by whom...? I don't recall that.

-swiss

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 29, 2023 10:11

Brian was never fired or “sacked” as you say from The Rolling Stones.There was no one there who had the authority to do any firing.

A lot of that is the drunk tough guy 80s Keith saying “ so we all went down and told him “ hey ya c-ck you’re fired” on the 25x5 video.
Like most of what Keith said for about 20 years it was nonsense.
Find the 1971 Keith interview he did at Nellcote for Rolling Stone magazine, he tells the actual story then.

They agreed to say he left to the public and the door was open if he wanted to return.
“You’re fired “ may very well have been met with” it’s my band and I named it, good luck with your career as Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys.

Date: August 29, 2023 10:28

lem motlow
Brian was never fired or “sacked” as you say from The Rolling Stones.There was no one there who had the authority to do any firing.

A lot of that is the drunk tough guy 80s Keith saying “ so we all went down and told him “ hey ya c-ck you’re fired” on the 25x5 video.
Like most of what Keith said for about 20 years it was nonsense.
Find the 1971 Keith interview he did at Nellcote for Rolling Stone magazine, he tells the actual story then.

They agreed to say he left to the public and the door was open if he wanted to return.
“You’re fired “ may very well have been met with” it’s my band and I named it, good luck with your career as Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys.

They certainly had the authority to say «we can't go on with you, if we can't tour» (because of his visa problems). I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly what they said.

And why wouldn't the rest of the band have the authority to say «you're fired»? It's not like Brian had patented the name or secured material rights. Are you assuming that Bill and Charlie would have been ok with letting Mick and Keith go, if he had said that?

Just playing with that thought. Totally unrealistic smiling smiley

Leaving the door open was a nice touch. Had Brian cleaned up, it would have been very interesting to get him back.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 29, 2023 10:44

Looks lovely... I agree it'd be kind of sick (inappropriate) for a Stones fan to use the pool though. I feel gross even thinking about it.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 29, 2023 10:51

Yeah, it was reported in the press at the time that he might rejoin them some day again.

There've been different interpretations of that. One is to not make that split so dramatic for the fans. The thing is that Brian was still very popular member, probably still number two, although Keith's star was raising, and he was catching up. Not musically perhaps, but imagewise it was a risky move. No Beatles or Stones member had quit yet.

So, the other interpretation is that they left the door open, not because of Brian, but because of them: they weren't sure how the fans would view the Stones without Brian, so they might have needed him in order to remain popular.

As horrible it might sound, Brian's death actually helped the Stones to go on without him. It was no wonder that the band members and their publicists for years didn't much stress the fact that they had seperated before his death (Jagger was said to be very nervous how would the fans react in Hyde Park). It took many, many years before they (Keith) had so much muscles - and Brian pretty much forgotten/demonized - to start sharing that macho story about 'you are fired, @#$%&', etc.

The winner writes the history, etc.

- Doxa

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 29, 2023 14:06

Big Al
A.A. Milne wrote all the Winnie the Pooh stories there, too. This is fact that’s probably lost on many, here!

Yes, that caught my eye as well.

It’s such a nice place and they must have made a lot of money already to be able to afford this. Even without songwriting credits (B, B & C).

Date: August 29, 2023 14:40

Koen
Big Al

Yes, that caught my eye as well.

It’s such a nice place and they must have made a lot of money already to be able to afford this. Even without songwriting credits (B, B & C).

They had money indeed, and mansions. However, they were afraid the 98 percent (or so) tax would make them lose what they had.

Date: August 29, 2023 22:10

Is the pool still at 70 degrees Celsius?

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: August 29, 2023 22:55

read the reviews...one woman says she got sick in the pool!!

Talk about morbid irony.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 30, 2023 08:08

HalfNanker
read the reviews...one woman says she got sick in the pool!!

Talk about morbid irony.

And the other review in which the guests go hunting and nearly catch a Woozle!

Date: August 30, 2023 09:43

TheflyingDutchman
Is the pool still at 70 degrees Celsius?

70! I doubt they want to be boiled in there smiling smiley

Posted by: thomashanck ()
Date: August 30, 2023 10:39

when will nellcote be an airbnb (just a joke) ? would like to be there even for 1 night ...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 30, 2023 11:11

DandelionPowderman

They certainly had the authority to say «we can't go on with you, if we can't tour» (because of his visa problems). I wouldn't be surprised if that was exactly what they said.

This is one of the key issues that we know have been discussed with Brian -the Stones needed to tour the USA, but it was clear Brian would not get a visa. It was Ian Stewart who proposed to hire another guitarist for the tour. It is also known that Brian had told friends the months before his death that he wasn't interested in Stones music anymore, that he wanted to form his own band and make his own music.

Also, in most group or band basically there is no 'you are fired', unless the band is owned by a person (Axel Rose with the new GnR for example). It is 'we think it is better to continue without you', or 'we want to continue without you until you have your act together'.

To me, Brian wasn't sacked. They agreed to tour the USA without him and gave him the opportunity or 'idea' he could return if he wanted and had sobered up.

Then he died, and indeed it's the winner who writes history.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2702
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home