Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Has Mick ever complimented Keith?
Date: August 28, 2023 12:41

Date: August 28, 2023 12:43

Go to this Charlotte 2021 link blow, their second stadium show without Charlie, 2hrs 5mins 28 sec in, toward the end of a fantastically exciting Satisfaction, the three soul survivors huddled together and Jagger seems to me to be be shouting "Keef! Keef! Keef! Keef!" and they're both grinning like mad. That's a big onstage compliment as far as I can hear and see...! I love that moment. Stepping up when they really had something to prove, again. And they stand and deliver.
video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: August 28, 2023 17:03

dcba
Basically 95% of Mick’s troubles over the last 50 years came from Keith : the 77 Toronto arrest, the problems with having a US working visa in 75 plus tons of little troubles we never heard about.

If you add the numerous jabs Keith threw at Mick since his early 80s return to life, and the guitarist’s numerous tantrums on tour or in the studio you come to the conclusion Mick’s praises for Keith would not come naturally...

All true imo. Compliments are cheap currency - Mick gave Keith something far more valuable over the years - particularly, during the 70's, when he essentially did what he could to protect him [and the band] from Keith's destructive behaviours. Mick is the one who essentially set up the band, and specifically himself and Keith, to benefit financially. He could have shafted Keith big time at that point and he didn't. Since then he has turned a blind eye to every provocation from Keith - which, of course, made Keith act out all the more.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 29, 2023 10:36

harlem shuffle
Keith has used 50 years of his life just to talk shit about Jagger. So why the hell should Jagger speak nice about this person at all?

Although he's pushed his luck a few times with jibes at Mick, Mick knows Keith's a
incorrigible gobshite and probably takes very little notice most of the time.

Date: August 29, 2023 11:11

Spud
harlem shuffle
Keith has used 50 years of his life just to talk shit about Jagger. So why the hell should Jagger speak nice about this person at all?

Although he's pushed his luck a few times with jibes at Mick, Mick knows Keith's a
incorrigible gobshite and probably takes very little notice most of the time.

And there's always a compliment or two within those jabs smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 29, 2023 13:11

DandelionPowderman

Mick probably realized that working with smooth operators/yes men on his solo ventures was agreable but Keith brought an edge, a unique thing to Mick’s song ideas in the studio.
Keith a PITA? Certainly. A unique talent? True too.

Date: August 29, 2023 13:18

What a lot of spite and bullshit on this thread, and gobshites galore! Called 'fans'.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 29, 2023 14:13

dcba
DandelionPowderman

Mick probably realized that working with smooth operators/yes men on his solo ventures was agreable but Keith brought an edge, a unique thing to Mick’s song ideas in the studio.
Keith a PITA? Certainly. A unique talent? True too.

thumbs up

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: August 29, 2023 15:35

A compliment from a Rolling Stone interview from 1995 :

Jagger felt fans had an inaccurate picture of the Jagger-Richards songwriting partnership. “So they think, ‘Oh, well, Mick must write all the lyrics, and Keith writes all the tunes,’ which might have been true 30 years ago, but it really isn’t true now,” he opined. “But that doesn’t worry me very much. Keith might be underappreciated as a lyric writer. I don’t think it worries him.”

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 29, 2023 15:40

Hahaha - priceless!

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 2, 2023 05:31

at 14:14 mick compliments keith on the riff he came up with for just because (aka trouble)

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: September 15, 2023 23:59

I don't recall Mick ever down talked Keith as guitar player. Also, Mick often seems closed and reserved in his interviews but what he always says is Keith actually is very good songwriter. He used to belittle his own part in songwriting process to praise Keith's. "Keith writes all the songs, I just help him sometimes", "Keith does everything, I just fill in" etc. I recall during Keith's Toronto bust, when asked about Stones future, Mick mentioned that Keith is important for the band. How much, reporter asked him. - Very important.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 16, 2023 23:41

I think Mick is a bit insecure, and it's difficult for him to praise Keith without thinking he is denying credit to himself, on a good day when they are getting on well i think Keith and Mick are very supportive to each other, Mick has stood by Keith though all those drunken sloppy performances by Keith.
It's clear on the other hand that although Mick looked up to Keith as a songwriter Mick at the same time sees Keith as his rival.
It's a very complex relationship, the thing that has kept them together so long is that they both realise they need each other.
Yeah Mick compliments Keith in more ways than one.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 16, 2023 23:42

Lady Jayne
dcba
Basically 95% of Mick’s troubles over the last 50 years came from Keith : the 77 Toronto arrest, the problems with having a US working visa in 75 plus tons of little troubles we never heard about.

If you add the numerous jabs Keith threw at Mick since his early 80s return to life, and the guitarist’s numerous tantrums on tour or in the studio you come to the conclusion Mick’s praises for Keith would not come naturally...

All true imo. Compliments are cheap currency - Mick gave Keith something far more valuable over the years - particularly, during the 70's, when he essentially did what he could to protect him [and the band] from Keith's destructive behaviours. Mick is the one who essentially set up the band, and specifically himself and Keith, to benefit financially. He could have shafted Keith big time at that point and he didn't. Since then he has turned a blind eye to every provocation from Keith - which, of course, made Keith act out all the more.

Brilliant!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 16, 2023 23:44

keefriffhards
I think Mick is a bit insecure, and it's difficult for him to praise Keith without thinking he is denying credit to himself, on a good day when they are getting on well i think Keith and Mick are very supportive to each other, Mick has stood by Keith though all those drunken sloppy performances by Keith.
It's clear on the other hand that although Mick looked up to Keith as a songwriter Mick at the same time sees Keith as his rival.
It's a very complex relationship, the thing that has kept them together so long is that they both realise they need each other.

You only really need to read LIFE to determine who's insecure.

Perhaps they both are?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 17, 2023 00:00

As an English gentleman, does he really ever compliments, if he is not making fun of it, anything close to him (or anything related closely to his own doings)? Himself, his own accomplishments, the Stones? Even Charlie, really?

Talk is cheap, like one very special friend of his once declared.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-17 00:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: mkbbcmr ()
Date: September 17, 2023 00:10

MadMetaphoricalMax
What a lot of spite and bullshit on this thread, and gobshites galore! Called 'fans'.

And not just on this thread, there's nastiness and prejudice spread out all over this board. Makes you wonder.

Date: September 17, 2023 10:56

treaclefingers
keefriffhards

You only really need to read LIFE to determine who's insecure.

Perhaps they both are?

For sure they are both insecure, a lot of geniuses are.

Date: September 18, 2023 10:45

keefriffhards

By "insecure", you mean Mick can't praise Keith without thinking he takes away from himself? Where did you get that from?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 18, 2023 11:12

Full compliments from Keith ta Mick on Angry ......

ROCKMAN

Date: September 18, 2023 13:47

Mariuana
keefriffhards

By "insecure", you mean Mick can't praise Keith without thinking he takes away from himself? Where did you get that from?

From the banner "Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones" in 1981..

Mick has to be the leader since the late 70s, Keith said if Mick perceives something as a power struggle you have a power struggle, shows insecurity, just my opinion, everyone knows it's Keith's band except Mick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-18 17:03 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 18, 2023 14:55

Mick was clearly impressed with the amount of work Keith put into HD and said so much to RS, I don't think he'd ever done that before ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: September 18, 2023 17:07

keefriffhards
Mariuana
keefriffhards

From Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones 1981, Mick has to be the leader since the late 70s, Keith said once someone perceives something as a power struggle you have a power struggle, shows insecurity, just my opinion.

Mick used to belittle his own songwriting abilities to praise Keith's. But Mick is far from "insecure" the way you put it. Keith have said a lot of crap about Mick and just so little to thank him for keeping the band together and multiply its success and Keith's worth net. Most of it Mick ignored. So who's insecure here let me guess ...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2023 18:10

gotdablouse
Mick was clearly impressed with the amount of work Keith put into HD and said so much to RS

To his credit Keith always rose to the occasion when the band was at a crucial pivotal point of their career.
I have in mind the 1989 tour when he knew the band had to make a splash for their comeback tour : from the opening gig he had his guitar chops ready and he shone during the ympathy solo.

Imo it is clear that in 81 Keith had a "urgh I will work my chops as the tour goes on" state of mind.

Forward to 2023 : he certainly thought HD was to be their last bow - or 2nd to last one? - so he had to make sure the album would be good.
As good as Dylan’s latter-day return to form Time Out Of Mind.

Date: September 18, 2023 19:42

Mariuana
keefriffhards
Mariuana
keefriffhards

From Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones 1981, Mick has to be the leader since the late 70s, Keith said once someone perceives something as a power struggle you have a power struggle, shows insecurity, just my opinion.

Mick used to belittle his own songwriting abilities to praise Keith's. But Mick is far from "insecure" the way you put it. Keith have said a lot of crap about Mick and just so little to thank him for keeping the band together and multiply its success and Keith's worth net. Most of it Mick ignored. So who's insecure here let me guess ...

With all due respect wasn't it Mick that left the band in the 80s for solo success, Keith wanted desperately to keep the band together.

Its a two way thing with their net worth, Mick realised in the 80s that a solo career wasn't going to give him the big bucks so he carried on with Keith playing mostly Keith written warhorses. Keith obviously went along for the ride, he likes money too and loves playing with his band and all the glory that brings.
I don't think they have to publicly praise each other for their millions but they do compliment each other in other ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-19 10:28 by keefriffhards.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home