Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...120121122123124125126127128129130...LastNext
Current Page: 125 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 14, 2023 22:21

Hackney Diamonds is the best album since which ever one you think it is.
There is no score card, and no prizes given out here. Opinions evolve and change over time, so let's check again in about 50 years. Meanwhile, October 20th, a true gift for us. Comparisons, I don't see the point.

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: October 14, 2023 23:00

MKjan
Hackney Diamonds is the best album since which ever one you think it is.
There is no score card, and no prizes given out here. Opinions evolve and change over time, so let's check again in about 50 years. Meanwhile, October 20th, a true gift for us. Comparisons, I don't see the point.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Re: Finebaum Comments on New Stones CD
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2023 01:15

TravellinMan
Paul deals with a lot of young people whose careers never get started after the pro draft or flame out before the end of their twenties. Some are lucky and hang on in derivative jobs such as espn highlight commentator. Football produces a lot of Al Bundys. It might weigh on Paul's mind. But there is something the comment made me think of while reading it this morning listening to Live in England from Charlie is My Darling. Many artists who exited the stage early are cherished for those few highlights. I cannot imagine Brian playing guitar on Streets of Love. Not Mick Taylor either.

To be fair Al Bundy did score four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: October 15, 2023 01:20

Mick Taylor did play guitar on Streets Of Love. It was very good, too smiling smiley

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 15, 2023 08:32

JumpingKentFlash
TravellinMan
Paul deals with a lot of young people whose careers never get started after the pro draft or flame out before the end of their twenties. Some are lucky and hang on in derivative jobs such as espn highlight commentator. Football produces a lot of Al Bundys. It might weigh on Paul's mind. But there is something the comment made me think of while reading it this morning listening to Live in England from Charlie is My Darling. Many artists who exited the stage early are cherished for those few highlights. I cannot imagine Brian playing guitar on Streets of Love. Not Mick Taylor either.

To be fair Al Bundy did score four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

also to be fair al bundy can't tell the difference between keith richards and buddy epson

but seriously from one fan of married with children to another well done sir

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 15, 2023 11:07

We've only had a few tracks but the SG reference seems to make sense with the energy and general sound that transpires, it's got this rawness/immediacy that's been lacking ever since. Given their recording process it's not surprising, except for SW that was done with a deadline too but it ended up being a bit "stale".

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 15, 2023 11:43

This talk about a deadline seems to me to be a post construction. In reality the deadline was 18 years...

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 15, 2023 11:54

Stoneage
This talk about a deadline seems to me to be a post construction. In reality the deadline was 18 years...

No, they started all over recording completely new songs in 2022.

Date: October 15, 2023 12:13

MelBelli
IrelandCalling4
From the Independent, the over praising of current album, negating basically everything said about previous. Be an interesting read at least.

Behind the paywall; some kind soul will hopefully post the text here at some point

[www.independent.co.uk]

Critics criticizing critics — the worst genre of all!

It is indeed a pathetic waste of space of an article, but hey, at least it didn't use up newsprint or trees. The Independent's arts coverage is very poor quality, so it's typical of them to have expended what small focus they have on an article like this, with its basic purpose of looking down its nose at everyone else.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 15, 2023 12:33

ProfessorWolf
JumpingKentFlash
TravellinMan

To be fair Al Bundy did score four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versusi Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

also to be fair al bundy can't tell the difference between keith richards and buddy epson

Al seems to be more into a song that goes “Hmm hmm hmm go with him

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 13:09

JumpingKentFlash
TravellinMan

smiling smiley Al Bundy. "Four touchdowns in one game", founder of No Ma'am. From Polk hero to Peg.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 13:15

Why has there been no mention about Elton John’s contribution to the album by Keith and Mick? They talk a lot about Paul , Stevie and Gaga, but I haven’t heard anything about Reg Dwight. Is Keith okay with Elton?

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 13:25

MadMetaphoricalMax
MelBelli
IrelandCalling4
From the Independent, the over praising of current album, negating basically everything said about previous. Be an interesting read at least.

Behind the paywall; some kind soul will hopefully post the text here at some point

[www.independent.co.uk]

Critics criticizing critics — the worst genre of all!

It is indeed a pathetic waste of space of an article, but hey, at least it didn't use up newsprint or trees. The Independent's arts coverage is very poor quality, so it's typical of them to have expended what small focus they have on an article like this, with its basic purpose of looking down its nose at everyone else.

I read it; not much in it besides a poor quality.

Loved the tracks we've got so far, particularly Sweet Sounds. Roll on midnight Thurs night/Fri morning when the album should appear on YouTube & streaming. Exciting times.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 15, 2023 14:13

Taylor1
Why has there been no mention about Elton John’s contribution to the album by Keith and Mick? They talk a lot about Paul , Stevie and Gaga, but I haven’t heard anything about Reg Dwight. Is Keith okay with Elton?

been thinking about this also...kind of weird not a single mention.

Date: October 15, 2023 16:37

Rip This
Taylor1

Are you sure he wasn't mentioned at the press conference?

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 15, 2023 17:34

Interview with Anthony Mason of "CBS Sunday Morning", aired October 15.

Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out Oct 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 15, 2023 18:02

The Rolling Stones after six decades: "We've got to keep going. When you've got it, flaunt it, you know?"

By Anthony Mason
October 15, 2023 / CBS News

You don't expect birth announcements from a 60-year-old band. But last month in London, The Rolling Stones revealed they'd made a new record. "Hackney Diamonds" (to be released October 20) is the Stones' first album of original music in 18 years.

Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger in London September 6, 2023, when they announced the release of their first album of new music in 18 years. CBS News

At Electric Lady Studios in New York, where the band worked on the new record, "Sunday Morning" caught up with Keith Richards.

Mason asked, "Is it like getting on a bike, when you guys go into the studio?"

"Pretty much, but you're not sure if the tires are pumped up!" Richards laughed.

Over in London, Mick Jagger and Ronnie Wood joined us, to discuss how "Hackney Diamonds" came about.

According to Richards, "My recollection is that Mick said, 'What we need to do is, let's make an album. Let's blitz it.' Basically that was the impetus."

"We used to have to have a record ready to go out on tour, so there was a deadline," said Jagger. "So, then we more or less did what we said we planned to do."

"It was really unusual!" Richards laughed.

"Yeah, really unusual! I think I said to Keith, 'It's going to be finished by Valentine's Day.' And Keith looked at me like [what???]."

Mason asked, "How quickly do you know in a recording studio when you have something?"

"You've got to give it a minute," Jagger replied. "You can't be dismissive if you don't get it in the first one minute. But you kind of get to know in 10 minutes, I'd say."

That quickly? "It doesn't take long to know if something's really there and whether it's worth chasing," Richards said.

"It's a bit like a painting you construct," said Wood. "You do that first layout, and then you give it a breath – you know, go away."

"Because you're a painter," said Jagger.

"Let him have his analogy," added Richards. "Most people aren't Van Gogh."

"Van Gogh away, please!" Wood laughed.

The album's lead single, "Angry," started with a lyric from Jagger: "I was just playing the guitar in the Caribbean on my own and just came up with the idea. And then I took it to the next level with Keith," he said.

"Mick and I, we kind of kick each other up the ass," Richards said. "'Oh, I like that.' 'I don't like that.' Whatever it is, it's a sort of chemistry."

But the band's chemistry was rocked when drummer and founding member Charlie Watts died in 2021.

Mason asked, "Did you feel the need to put an album out?"

"I think maybe because of Charlie's demise that we felt that, if the Stones were going to continue, then we better make a mark of what the Stones are now," Jagger said.

"Was it hard for you to look back and not see Charlie there?"

"Yeah, of course, it's hard," Jagger said. "I mean, it's all my life. Ever since I was 19 or whatever, it's always been Charlie."

"On some level it had to be emotional not to have Charlie."

"Of course it's emotional," Jagger said. "But you have to get past that in life, you know? I love Charlie … but I still want to carry on making music."

Last year, the Stones toured with new drummer Steve Jordan. But Watts plays on two tracks on "Hackney Diamonds," including one with the Stones' original bassist, Bill Wyman, who left the band in 1993.

Did Wyman have to be coaxed to come back? "No, not at all," said Jagger. "I phoned him and I said, 'Are you still playing the bass even?' I was a bit worried! He said, 'What do you mean? I play every day! I'm making an album.' I said, 'Great, Bill. Come and do this track. Because Charlie's on it and I'd like it to be reunited, the original rhythm section. Would be a cool idea.'"

When those original Rolling Stones first formed in London in 1962, they never imagined it would last. Richards said, "I remember when we had the first hit record, we kind of looked at each other with like dismay: 'Well, we got about two years, boys, and then you got find a job!'"

Six decades later, they're still one of the biggest touring acts in the world, grossing $179 million last year alone.

"We just are pioneers, in that no one has done 60 years of rock 'n' roll, ever," said Wood – at 76, the youngest Stone.

He has a side gig as a painter, a passion he pursues when he's not playing guitar. "That's what keeps me going," he said. "And then I go, 'Wow,' you know, 'we're gonna play music next,' and it just, one runs into the other."

His two artistic passions merge on tour when he makes these set lists after every show. It's a kind of memoir: "That was when that happened, you know, and that's where we played."

Speaking of memoirs, Mason asked Jagger if he'd ever considered writing one. "Oh, yeah, I've considered it," he replied. And I've been offered a lot of money. And I've seen people do it. And it takes like, two years. They're living two years in their past."

"And that doesn't appeal to you?" Mason asked.

"That does not appeal to me," he replied. "So, someone else will just have to remember it for me!"

Both Jagger and Richards have landmark birthdays this year – the big eight-zero. Richards' is in December.

How does that feel? "I asked Mick, because he's six months older than me. And he says it's not that different," Richards laughed.

Jagger became an octogenarian back in July. "It's a bit overblown," he said. "It's not all it's cracked up to be, being 80. There's not really options here. You're either going to get there or not."

"You've gotten there in pretty good shape," Mason said.

"Well, thank you, that's very kind!"

Wood said of Jagger, "He's singing the best he's ever sang, I think, now. That's another reason we've got to keep going. When you've got it, flaunt it, you know?"

Mason asked Richards, "So, why do you think you guys have endured?"

"I think we, basically, we love each other and we love our music," he said. "And when you're doing it, you don't really think about it. But I think with Charlie going, I've realized more and more how special that is. I mean, there's something about the Stones and there's something about us all that sort of says, 'No, we stick together!' And then you can't just drop it, you know? You got to follow it right down to the end, down the tunnel."

"As you said, it's bigger than all of you."

"Yeah, it is. Damn thing!" he laughed.

[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: Idorh ()
Date: October 15, 2023 18:24

Rip This
Taylor1

It’s not surprising that Elton was recruited for the project: Not only has he known the band for years, but Andrew Watt, who produced the album, also produced most of Elton’s 2021 album The Lockdown Sessions as well as his hit Britney Spears duet, “Hold Me Closer.”
[jambroadcasting.com]
[jambroadcasting.com]…
Elton John guest stars on new Rolling Stones album, 'Hackney Diamonds …

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 18:28

Stoneage

It won't be long before we hear that the album was composed in 3 days.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 15, 2023 19:47

bye bye johnny
Interview with Anthony Mason of "CBS Sunday Morning", aired October 15.

Thanks for posting - the last frame indicates a part 2 tomorrow on CBS Mornings?!?

N

Posted by: Stilllife09 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 20:21

already posted. sorry delete

Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: October 15, 2023 20:54

CBS Sunday advertised that the remainder of the interview would be aired on CBS Monday, starts 7am CST.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 15, 2023 21:21

JumpingKentFlash
ProfessorWolf
JumpingKentFlash
TravellinMan

To be fair Al Bundy did score four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versusi Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

Al seems to be more into a song that goes “Hmm hmm hmm go with him

arthur alexander - anna (go with him) $60

but we should quit before bv gets mad with us over the off topic conversation

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 21:28

Whole Wide World being played on Planet Rock (UK).... I've enjoyed everything so far but this is a bit Stones-by-numbers.

Live By The Sword now.... sounds fine but not gonna change the world. Bit of T-Rex/IORR in the guitars, great to hear Charlie.

Tell Me Straight - nice to hear Mick on backing vocals...

Mess It Up - this does have *some* Really Wanna Tell The Truth in it (slightly different to the snippet we heard previously).

Depending on You - very nice.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-15 21:43 by StonesSmeth99.

Date: October 15, 2023 21:41

StonesSmeth99
Whole Wide World being played on Planet Rock (UK).... I've enjoyed everything so far but this is a bit Stones-by-numbers.

Live By The Sword now.... sounds fine but not gonna change the world. Bit of T-Rex/IORR in the guitars, great to hear Charlie.

Tell Me Straight - nice to hear Mick on backing vocals...

Mess It Up - this does have *some* Really Wanna Tell The Truth in it (slightly different to the snippet we heard previously).

Wait.. what??? Full song? Someone has a recording?

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: October 15, 2023 21:43

Not the full song - extended clip as part of a 1-hour Planet Rock show.

CBS Sunday Morning
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: October 15, 2023 20:56

Re: CBS Sunday Morning
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 15, 2023 21:23

Video doesn't play for me, here's a YT link:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 15, 2023 22:08

Fabulous...starts at about 43:30