Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The 50 Greatest Rock Lead Singers of All Time - Billboard
Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 21, 2023 16:08

slewan
Jagger? Seriously? He maybe the best front man of any rock band and most likely he has (or rather had) the best backing band in rock business but that doesn't make him the best rock singer. Personally I think he's overrated as a rock singer although he is a great blues and ballad singer.

Beside that: where is Elvis on that fu*king list?????

The last time for the rest of my life I read one of your posts.
Every single one - every single one is pure negative. Turns me down.
Through all this years. 100.000 times.
And this one is your masterpiece.
Bye, bye.

Date: August 21, 2023 16:09

StoneZP
Jagger is unavoidable but, so many out of the list like Bowie, Sting, Annie Lennox...

Bowie isn't qualified, according to the authors' requirements (to be an integral part of a band). His work with Tin Machine might not have cut it for them...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-21 16:11 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: August 21, 2023 16:20

StoneZP
Jagger is unavoidable but, so many out of the list like Bowie, Sting, Annie Lennox...

Jagger is "unavoidable"??????

I never could imagine that there are Stones Fans on this planet who call the
heart, brain and driving force of their band they are fan of just by the family name. Always. And calling the fact he is on top of the 50 best-list as
"unavoidable".

But here on IORR I meet them. Day by day. And more year by year.

Can't believe it. Just can't believe it.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: August 21, 2023 16:44

caschimann
StoneZP

Jagger is "unavoidable"??????

I never could imagine that there are Stones Fans on this planet who call the
heart, brain and driving force of their band they are fan of just by the family name. Always. And calling the fact he is on top of the 50 best-list as
"unavoidable".

But here on IORR I meet them. Day by day. And more year by year.

Can't believe it. Just can't believe it.

WTF! I don't know if I made myself clear, but what I wanted to say was that Jagger didn't surprise me that it was number one on this list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-21 16:47 by StoneZP.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: August 21, 2023 16:52

DandelionPowderman
StoneZP

Bowie isn't qualified, according to the authors' requirements (to be an integral part of a band). His work with Tin Machine might not have cut it for them...

Ah ok, thanks, but for me the list deserves some ch-changes except the first one on the list spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: IGTBA ()
Date: August 22, 2023 09:43

A good list, given the restrictive criteria. I'd change some positions, but everybody else would too.

While I'm a Stevie Nicks fan - her vocals are unique and special, I would have her ranked lower than 2nd, per the criteria. For one thing, Fleetwood Mac's best song (my opinion), Go Your Own Way, was written and sung by Lindsey Buckingham, as were several other of Mac's best songs. Can't say that about the Stones and Keith, at least regarding vocals and front man. That's not minimizing Keith's outstanding musical contributions to the Stones - without Keith, Mick wouldn't be the Mick Jagger we all love; and the Stones might have been a cover band instead of the greatest rock band.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 23, 2023 00:32

IGTBA
A good list, given the restrictive criteria. I'd change some positions, but everybody else would too.

While I'm a Stevie Nicks fan - her vocals are unique and special, I would have her ranked lower than 2nd, per the criteria. For one thing, Fleetwood Mac's best song (my opinion), Go Your Own Way, was written and sung by Lindsey Buckingham, as were several other of Mac's best songs. Can't say that about the Stones and Keith, at least regarding vocals and front man. That's not minimizing Keith's outstanding musical contributions to the Stones -
without Keith, Mick wouldn't be the Mick Jagger we all love; and the Stones might have been a cover band instead of the greatest rock band.

Perhaps this is true, but then the question is - what would Keith have become without Mick?
Not sure, but both might have remained in cover bands playing the local pub circuit, and maybe even become rivals with each other...instead of the Beatles vs. Stones it would have been Keith vs. Mick.
Whatever may have happened, it's safe to say that one is less without the other, and neither would have become what we've known to love for 60+ years - that being The Rolling Stones of course.
But for the sake of argument and a thorough comparison of the two, you would then have to take a look at their solo albums...Keith is the absolute clear winner of the two in my opinion.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: August 24, 2023 12:28

Jagger in 1969 basically changed the equation of Rock Performance. He was incandescent in his Uncle Sam hat and devlish outfit... after the Stones' '69 Tour nothing was ever the same in rock and roll... Jagger owned the stage in a way no rock music performer ever had on the tour and everyone from Iggy to Bowie to T Rex immediately knew that a new era had begun and began to emulate the androgynous flash created by Jagger that year.

Jagger is the GOAT. The greatest there ever was and ever will be for eternity. The Prototype. And at one time the baddest mofo on earth... (after his compadre Keef, of course...)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 24, 2023 14:45

Turd On The Run
Jagger in 1969 basically changed the equation of Rock Performance. He was incandescent in his Uncle Sam hat and devlish outfit... after the Stones' '69 Tour nothing was ever the same in rock and roll... Jagger owned the stage in a way no rock music performer ever had on the tour and everyone from Iggy to Bowie to T Rex immediately knew that a new era had begun and began to emulate the androgynous flash created by Jagger that year.

Jagger is the GOAT. The greatest there ever was and ever will be for eternity. The Prototype. And at one time the baddest mofo on earth... (after his compadre Keef, of course...)

Great analysis, example and conclusion.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 25, 2023 07:11

Bono is too low.

Ian Astbury isn't included.

That's criminal.

Mick? Ehhh... the "singer" part isn't there.

Freddie should be #1.

Date: August 25, 2023 08:42

GasLightStreet
Bono is too low.

That's criminal.

Freddie should be #1.

Freddie has two problems. He wasn't around long enough, and the songs just weren't as good. Technically a better voice yes, but I prefer listening to Jagger's. But Freddie was a magnificent showman...but not better than MJ.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 25, 2023 09:37

This isn’t some abstract theory for me, I saw Plant,Daltrey,Rod Stewart, Freddie Mercury,Jagger and many others from about 20 feet away several times during the 1970s.

None of them were close to Mick Jagger. It was clear then and it’s clear now, The GOAT.

Posted by: stonesman87 ()
Date: August 25, 2023 12:30

I absolutely loved the way bye-bye set it out in his introductory post for this thread:

1 Mick Jagger (The Rolling Stones)

..... then daylight. No messing around, end of story.

Way to go smileys with beer

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 25, 2023 22:35

No Mike Patton, my all time favorite vocalist, though very little of this can be characterized as rock.

[youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]

[youtu.be]

Date: August 25, 2023 23:43

Dan
No Mike Patton, my all time favorite vocalist, though very little of this can be characterized as rock.

[youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]

[youtu.be]

Oh well, given the fact that it's about "The 50 Greatest Rock Lead Singers of All Time", that's not surprising.

Date: August 26, 2023 01:14

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Bono is too low.

That's criminal.

Freddie should be #1.

Freddie has two problems. He wasn't around long enough, and the songs just weren't as good. Technically a better voice yes, but I prefer listening to Jagger's. But Freddie was a magnificent showman...but not better than MJ.

Yeah that makes sense. The body of work Jagger has no one has, in regard to a band/lead singer, anyway. No one ever will.

Date: August 26, 2023 02:34

stonesman87
Dan

[youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]

[youtu.be]

Oh well, given the fact that it's about "The 50 Greatest Rock Lead Singers of All Time", that's not surprising.

Yet somehow Zack de la Rocha and George Clinton can make this "Greatest Rock Lead Singer of All Time" list?
Love both of them (as well as Mike Patton) for what they do, but the standards and randomness of this list is nothing more than nonsensical pile of dog doo doo...

Date: August 26, 2023 16:04

GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Bono is too low.

That's criminal.

Freddie should be #1.

Yeah that makes sense. The body of work Jagger has no one has, in regard to a band/lead singer, anyway. No one ever will.

And as much as I highly regard Stevie Nicks having her at number 2 seems ridiculous. Maybe top ten or just bubbling under.

Date: August 26, 2023 23:45

I was very surprised to find Roger Daltrey all the way down at #12.

Take the "1" from that number, and he'd be in a position that I would not have been surprised about.

Date: August 27, 2023 03:58

stonesman87
I was very surprised to find Roger Daltrey all the way down at #12.

Take the "1" from that number, and he'd be in a position that I would not have been surprised about.

For me it's probably Mick, Freddie, Robert and Roger in the top 4 in that order.

Date: August 27, 2023 04:56

As far as greatest rock and roll singers, and if it was up to me, I would add:

Jim Morrison - "Break on through"!!!

And Paul Rogers - "All right now baby, it's all right now"!!!

And Steve Winwood - "Dear Mr. Fantasy, play us a tune..."!!!

And Johnny Rotten - "I am an antichrist"!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-27 05:01 by Hairball.

Date: August 29, 2023 03:36

slewan
Jagger? Seriously? He maybe the best front man of any rock band and most likely he has (or rather had) the best backing band in rock business but that doesn't make him the best rock singer. Personally I think he's overrated as a rock singer although he is a great blues and ballad singer.

Beside that: where is Elvis on that fu*king list?????

Name the rock band Elvis was in.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 29, 2023 03:39

The Attractions ........

ROCKMAN

Date: August 29, 2023 03:39

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Bono is too low.

That's criminal.

Freddie should be #1.

And as much as I highly regard Stevie Nicks having her at number 2 seems ridiculous. Maybe top ten or just bubbling under.

Dream on.

Oh. Wait.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2350
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home