Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Robbie Robertson o/t
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 10, 2023 10:49

A very sad loss. What a player...what a band!

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: August 10, 2023 11:12

Loved the Band & Robbie's songwriting.
Musically, probably one of the best bands ever!

R.I.P Robbie

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 10, 2023 13:25

RIP Robbie.
Beside a great musician, he was a fasinating story teller. He loved rock and roll and he lived the life of a rocker, starting at an earlier age (16). He kept his passion for the music and was enthousiatic at sharing it with all of us. He was very rationnal and stable and did not seem to have been affected by the star system like so many of his comtemporaries.
Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 10, 2023 14:05

Robbie, on his Indigenous background.

[fb.watch]

RIP Robbie Robertson
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 10, 2023 16:04

Bruce Springsteen Dedicates ‘I’ll See You In My Dreams’ to Robbie Robertson At Wrigley Field N. American Tour Kick-Off

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 10, 2023 17:26

SomeTorontoGirl
pmk251
[www.youtube.com]

This video brings tears to my eyes and I cannot explain why.

Because it shows the universal message of music, in this case being used to bring change in the world. Thanks for sharing, I’d not seen this one.

Just fabulous. RIP Robbie.

Re: RIP Robbie Robertson
Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 10, 2023 19:52

RIP, all my heroes are dying but their legacy lives forever in the great music they leave us.

Just listening to the Brown Album (2nd) yesterday.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: August 10, 2023 20:39

RIP Robbie Robertson.

That leaves Garth Hudson (born August 2, 1937) as the sole remaining survivor of The Band

Richard Manuel - (April 3, 1943 – March 4, 1986) - Suicide
Rick Danko - (December 29, 1943 – December 10, 1999) - Heart Failure
Levon Helm - (May 26, 1940 – April 19, 2012) - Throat Cancer
Robbie Robertson - (July 5, 1943 – August 9, 2023) - Prostate Cancer

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: August 10, 2023 21:53

RIP Robbie.

Posted by: Woody24 ()
Date: August 10, 2023 22:27

The Last Waltz is still a mandatory play every Thanksgiving. Thanks for all the songs and memories, Robbie.

"Take all the pain...It's yours anyway"

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 10, 2023 23:24

Bjorn
Aj! I often play his first solo album. I love it. Vinyl. RIP, man.

One of my favorite albums of all time, so good.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: August 11, 2023 13:32

Beautiful rendition of one of Robbie's masterpieces from the Last Waltz:

[youtu.be]

Rockandroll,
Mops

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: August 11, 2023 18:32

One of the Best!
Such a huge influence on my guitar playing.

RIP Robbie

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: August 18, 2023 01:09

Respect!

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: August 18, 2023 04:19

What is mind boggling is how much impact this band made in the rock n' roll world with their "Americana" type music, in an age of psychodelia.

Made Clapton want to quit Cream.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 18:25

video: [youtu.be]

Here is a clip I shot in Nashville. I always loved his songwriting and guitar playing. I was looking forward to hearing him live again after seeing him in Nashville. I thought he might get the bug to play some shows. Sure enough, he announced a Last Waltz New Orleans show that was right in his wheelhouse. Unfortunately, it was canx when covid hit. He sounded terrific here and thought I would share.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 18, 2023 20:01

If The Band had survived into the 80´s...could have sounded something like this: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 18, 2023 20:15

The Band did survive into the 80s, just without Robbie. I saw them on November 12, 1983 at Memorial Gymnasium in Charlottesville, Virginia. The Cate Brothers opened, and one of the Cates (Earl?) filled Robbie’s guitar spot. Garth, Levon, Richard, and Rick were all there. Really good show.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 20:41

I mentioned this on another thread a few days ago, Rod Stewart dedicated Broken Arrow to Robbie last Friday at his concert in Seattle. I assumed he would continue the dedication and play the song in his shows after that including Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary, but he didn't. Strange since Robbie's Canadian.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 21:10

chrism13

Here is a clip I shot in Nashville. I always loved his songwriting and guitar playing. I was looking forward to hearing him live again after seeing him in Nashville. I thought he might get the bug to play some shows. Sure enough, he announced a Last Waltz New Orleans show that was right in his wheelhouse. Unfortunately, it was canx when covid hit. He sounded terrific here and thought I would share.

Thanks for posting, great video and excellent performance. Looks like Robbie was joined by Lucas Nelson, Warren Haynes and is that our old friend Don Was on bass, hard to tell. I don't recognize the bearded gent on the far right.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 22:58

Your are correct on all accounts Sir! Jamey Johnson is on the far right. I just learned today that he was asked by Willie Nelson to sign his guitar Trigger. It's quite the honor! I have seen Jamey a few times at varoius Outlaw Festivals and even Willie's 4th of July picnic.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: August 19, 2023 07:21

chrism13
Your are correct on all accounts Sir! Jamey Johnson is on the far right. I just learned today that he was asked by Willie Nelson to sign his guitar Trigger. It's quite the honor! I have seen Jamey a few times at varoius Outlaw Festivals and even Willie's 4th of July picnic.

Wasn't aware of him, thx for the info.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: August 19, 2023 11:32

Yes, you are right, Javadave. And even recorded albums? I remember that they covered Atlantic City, I think. But as a whole - well, I have to admit, I forgot about it.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 19, 2023 18:57

Just watched the "Once Were Brothers" documentary. Good stuff.

Have never seen The Last Waltz, now I need to check that one out as well.

Date: August 19, 2023 20:15

From this Robbie Robertson 2017 Rolling Stone tribute article on Chuck Berry here.

"Through the years, I’ve had several classic rendezvous with the father of rock & roll. I was the original musical director and creative consultant for the Chuck Berry movie Hail! Hail! Rock ‘n’ Roll. After a couple of meetings with Chuck, I realized that he didn’t like being structured or musically directed so I wisely asked Keith Richards to take on that responsibility."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-19 20:17 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: August 19, 2023 20:37

[www.mojo4music.com]

The Rolling Stones were in town, one week into their fourth US tour. They’d booked into the Sheraton City Squire Hotel, where female fans caused chaos in their efforts to get within clutching distance of the band. The management politely suggested that the Stones should move elsewhere. They relocated to the Sheraton Lincoln Square, where, at the height of the blackout, Bob Dylan, Robbie Robertson and other members of his band paid Brian Jones a visit.
Dylan and The Stones smoke, drink and jam by candlelight...

Arriving at the Stone’s suite, Dylan declared, “It’s an invasion from Mars, let’s turn on, what better time? The little green men have landed.” And turn on they did, smoking, drinking and jamming by candlelight until someone knocked a candle on its side, setting fire to the nearest bed. According to Greil Marcus “the story goes that the song, Visions Of Johanna, was written during the Great East Coast Blackout.” It certainly emerged during this period, and Dylan would first record it with The Hawks at CBS’s New York studio on November 30.

Date: August 19, 2023 23:05

Robbie is gettin' it...

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: August 20, 2023 18:23

Robbie Robertson & Bob Dylan (Edited clips from 'Eat the Document) 1966

Date: August 23, 2023 21:31

Great funny little clip of Robbie recalling going head to head with Roy Buchanan back in his days with Ronnie Hawkins...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: September 6, 2023 23:29

I’d forgotten to post this - Chuck Leavell being interviewed upon Robbie’s passing.

[www.cbc.ca]

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1800
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home