Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Forty Licks talks
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 1, 2023 04:45

rogerriffin
I´m still thiking if i would resist to order the vinyl

Nice! Now get the vinyl!

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 1, 2023 05:52

rogerriffin
I´m still thiking if i would resist to order the vinyl

You won’t

Rod

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: July 1, 2023 09:27

Hairball
They're sure milking this for all it's worth...now there's new "40 Licks" t-shirts available in the official merch store...yawn.

Yawn is right!

That said, the original Forty Licks CD happens to be special for me, because both Charlie and Ronnie signed the cover for me in Vienna back on the 14 On Fire tour.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 2, 2023 07:51

Irix
Same on the [TheRollingStonesShop.com] : "To celebrate Mick Jagger’s 80th birthday, Forty Licks will release digitally on 26 July followed by the physical release on 28 July".

That's stupid.

Here at UMG/UMe/whatever we take pride in not only not remastering and reissuing other artists correctly but in making our select remastered artists unlistenable thanks to Stephen Marcussen and his brickwall plus asphalt "remastering".

Please feel free to visit webs[www.universalmusic.com], or maybe one of several others, or comment on Twitter etc and let us know just how awful we're doing - because that is our goal.

UMG CEO

Lucian Grainge

That guy has some hutzpa to admit such a thing.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 2, 2023 13:24

Not sure if that’s a goof by the UMG ceo but it wouldn’t surprise me to know it’s real.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 2, 2023 13:36

The blue one is the one I have. No TSMR song on that one, instead there's a SFTD remix at the end of disk one. What was the point there?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 2, 2023 14:05

Nikkei
The blue one is the one I have. No TSMR song on that one, instead there's a SFTD remix at the end of disk one. What was the point there?
Milking.
There was another one with green tongue in a hard-cover book. To make no mistake they added a set of post stamps to that one winking smiley.

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 2, 2023 15:58

ironbelly
Nikkei
Milking.
There was another one with green tongue in a hard-cover book. To make no mistake they added a set of post stamps to that one winking smiley.

I believe Austria only. winking smiley

Date: July 3, 2023 06:28

frankotero
Not sure if that’s a goof by the UMG ceo but it wouldn’t surprise me to know it’s real.

That's all me. I did that.

Unfortunately it's extremely realistic.

Date: July 3, 2023 06:36

As brilliant as FORTY LICKS was at the time, it still doesn't carry the impact of:

HOT ROCKS
REWIND

Even though it's essentially those two releases combined.

And to realize they extremely failed in 2012 by not continuing the riff of calling it FIFTY LICKS (as Keith had on the tongue of his shoe).

Oh but let's agree to release a compilation that rips off JUMP BACK and call it HONK.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 26, 2023 15:15

The Rolling Stones:

"Celebrate a lifetime of lyrics and licks on Mick's birthday.

Forty Licks is now available for digital streaming, download and in Dolby ATMOS.

Featuring three tracks officially released to stream for the very first time. Listen now!"

[TheRollingStones.lnk.to] , [Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

"Celebrate Mick’s birthday with Forty Licks, available to stream now in Dolby Atmos spatial audio. Listen now on Apple Music!"

[Twitter.com] , [www.Facebook.com] , [www.Instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-28 18:25 by Irix.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2023 15:39

GasLightStreet
As brilliant as FORTY LICKS was at the time, it still doesn't carry the impact of:

HOT ROCKS
REWIND

And to realize they extremely failed in 2012 by not continuing the riff of calling it FIFTY LICKS (as Keith had on the tongue of his shoe).

Oh but let's agree to release a compilation that rips off JUMP BACK and call it HONK.

COME ON!

Don't you feel the magic? It's the 21st anniversary of the 40th anniversary and on Mick's B-day!

Date: July 26, 2023 15:40

HiRes 96kHz/24bit - [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.HDtracks.com] . More: [TheRollingStones.lnk.to] .

Date: July 26, 2023 15:40

'Keys To Your Love', 'Stealing My Heart' and 'Losing My Touch' are "Remastered 2023". Same with 'Shattered' and 'Anybody Seen My Baby?'.

Date: July 26, 2023 15:50

Do you think the 2023 remastering will be special in some way? I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Date: July 26, 2023 16:06

frankotero
Do you think the 2023 remastering will be special in some way? I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Let me guess... Brickwalled like Honk. grinning smiley

Date: July 26, 2023 17:11

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the best remasters the 1994 Virgin pressings?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: July 26, 2023 17:56

Say what you will about the production and/or compression on A Bigger Bang — it sounds way better than the four tracks here. Charlie’s drums sounded like cardboard.

Date: July 26, 2023 18:08

frankotero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the best remasters the 1994 Virgin pressings?
No, the best sounding are those in hands of RSTG grinning smiley

But seriously, in terms of sound quality to price value - yes, Virgin versions are overall better. But this is a gross oversimplification. Life is more complex.
There is no 'perfect' series of The Rolling Stones CDs. You can not say that Virgin series is 'an ultimate'. Some old CBS CDs are better sounding than Virgin, some from Virgin are better than the others. If your sound system is boombox or computer speakers - UM 2009 remasters are just perfect. If your wallet is thick enough - Japanese only SACDs prepared from flat transfers of the original analogue tapes. But even the latter series came with gaffs.

Date: July 26, 2023 18:28

Yeah, I've always heard The Stones aren't known for great sounding (quality) recordings. But I would think the Atmos version of Goat's Head Soup is pretty damn amazing. And no unfortunatley I can't afford a Macintosh system with $50K speakers. But I'm good with my middle of the road setup. Playing Leeds 1971 right now using my Sennheiser 650s. Sounds awesome to me!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-26 18:29 by frankotero.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: July 26, 2023 18:31

Great to have KTYL, Don’t stop and Stealing my heart out there again on Spotify etc. Quite unique tunes actually when thinking of the period 1983-2023. More timeless Stones tunes compared to a lot released before and after that.

Date: July 26, 2023 18:31

Ironbelly
No, the best sounding are those in hands of RSTG

Oh, and I caught that one. winking smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 26, 2023 18:48

ironbelly
frankotero
No, the best sounding are those in hands of RSTG grinning smiley

But seriously, in terms of sound quality to price value - yes, Virgin versions are overall better. But this is a gross oversimplification. Life is more complex.
There is no 'perfect' series of The Rolling Stones CDs. You can not say that Virgin series is 'an ultimate'. Some old CBS CDs are better sounding than Virgin, some from Virgin are better than the others. If your sound system is boombox or computer speakers - UM 2009 remasters are just perfect. If your wallet is thick enough - Japanese only SACDs prepared from flat transfers of the original analogue tapes. But even the latter series came with gaffs.

You see the simple solution here, of course.

BUY IT ALL!

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: July 26, 2023 19:53

Beast of Burden in Atmos ist magic!!! One guitar on every speaker! Amazing! Will go through the whole album this weekend

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: July 26, 2023 21:36

First time I listen to Keys to Your Love in over 10 years. I never listened to anything besides Spotify and these songs weren't on there.. I forgot about them! Nice treat on Mick's birthday.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: July 26, 2023 21:53

Great to have the then new songs on stream now. I’ve missed them since losing my old cds. Atmos sounds great all around as well on my Apple HomePods. Bring on the new album now, please.

Date: July 26, 2023 22:52

liddas
DandelionPowderman
I think that's exactly what they planned. However, they didn't manage to finish the album.

Also possible - as I believe it happened so many times in the following years - that at the end of the sessions the material they were working on was considered not exciting enough to justify the extra effort - and investment - it takes to release it

They spent less than a month working on at least 17 songs, finished at least 4.

Certainly unusual for them. Having listened to those unreleased tracks nothing seemed very inspiring.

Date: July 26, 2023 23:00

Bjorn
I tried to love those four tracks. Really did try. When 40 Licks arrived. Guess I wanted to be a "good fan" or something. Thankfull. But I never went back. But CD 1 is great.

HA HA!

Ugh. Keys To My Love and Stealing My Heart are awful.

They should've left those off.

I really love Losing My Touch but it's extremely unfitting for a hits comp, whereas Don't Stop is rather perfect, the whole up beat, the riffage, etc.

So say they only included Don't Stop. That leaves three others. Unfortunately You Got Me Rocking is on it. So...

Heartbreaker
She's So Cold
Saint Of Me

Screw that. Remove YGMR...

Bitch
Heartbreaker
She's So Cold
Saint Of Me

Date: July 26, 2023 23:13

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet

HOT ROCKS
REWIND

COME ON!

Don't you feel the magic? It's the 21st anniversary of the 40th anniversary and on Mick's B-day!

I can ignore the music. But I think by 'don't I feel the magic' and then all that math you did, FORTY LICKS is now old enough to drink is my conclusion!!!

But Mick having finished 80 years today, and Keith in December - further proof that aliens have left us alone.

If you combine HOT ROCKS, MORE HOT ROCKS, MADE IN THE SHADE, TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE, SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES, REWIND, JUMP BACK, RARITIES and HONK you can achieve EIGHTY LICKS with dubious editing sans Living In A Ghost Town.

Date: July 27, 2023 12:48

Current digital download is not 40 Licks 2CD we knew for the past 21 years.
They replaced all edited and 7" single versions on CD2 with regular, full length, album versions. And for sure they utilized 2009 brickwalled mastered versions for those.
The situation with CD1 is a bit more complex. It seems that they utilized 2016 mono versions for many tracks. I am not sure about stereo, need to dig a bit more. It is quite possible they used versions that were prepared for 50th anniversary editions of TMSR, BB, LIB and related singles.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home