Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Forty Licks is back!
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: June 28, 2023 20:42

wiredallnight
Hound Dog
What is the point of this?

The 40th anniversary of the 1973 Tours grinning smiley

Maybe the 40th anniversary of Undercover?

Re: Forty Licks talks
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: June 28, 2023 20:54

95 Euro incl T-Shirt, 70 Euro just the 4 LPs.

[store.udiscover-music.de]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 29, 2023 01:00

According to Universal Japan
July 26: Digital (Download & Streaming)
Dolby Atmos (streaming only)
July 28: Limited edition 4LP (imported edition only)

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 29, 2023 01:20

Same on the [TheRollingStonesShop.com] : "To celebrate Mick Jagger’s 80th birthday, Forty Licks will release digitally on 26 July followed by the physical release on 28 July".

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 29, 2023 04:46

The only thing keeping this from being a true greatest hits album are the garbage new songs. They seem so lazy and lacking in effort.

Replacing them with Harlem Shuffle, She's So Cold and Like A Rolling Stone would be an improvement but I haven't even listened to it since 2002 so I can't even say for sure what's on it.

Don't Stop is kinda catchy but also there are so many songs called Don't Stop that I am sure it pales in comparison to some of those.

B- when it comes to greatest hits albums.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 29, 2023 05:41

Irix
treaclefingers

This was never released on vinyl in the past, so we're back to black!

Unofficially released on 3LP Vinyl (allegedly by Virgin Music Holland) in 2002 as Limited Edition box-set (1000 pcs, numbered) - [www.Discogs.com] , [www.Musik-Sammler.de] , [Gripsweat.com] .

[TheRollingStonesShop.com] says: "Forty Licks released in September 2002 on CD and a very exclusive run of vinyl".

But if you look on Musik-Sammler.de closely at the LP-label, it looks very unprofessional and has many spaces in the words of the fine print, e.g. "T he Own er re se rve d".
There're also no RS/ABKCO/Virgin/DECCA logos on the label, no (C) year, no labelcode, the fine print is generic, it's not the Forty Licks logo on the label, typo instead (Fourty Licks), 'The Last Time' is missing, and so on.

So...do I actually have to say this doesn't count? The other one is Live Licks that has a great many 'unofficial' releases. I presume that'll be next up for official release.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 29, 2023 08:14

Hound Dog

That they could've bumped at least 2 of the 4 new songs at the time off, put on at least two others, and then updated it and called it SIXTY LICKS?

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: June 29, 2023 12:07

So in ten years from now we will get a re-release of Grrr! on vinyl? Nice

It's nice that those 3 'new' songs are available again, and digital for the first time. But that's the only 'pro' I can think of right now.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 29, 2023 12:13

GasLightStreet
Hound Dog

That they could've bumped at least 2 of the 4 new songs at the time off, put on at least two others, and then updated it and called it SIXTY LICKS?

That would have made much more sence indeed winking smiley

Apart from that, I wonder wether or not LIAGT will be on the new album. Maybe with the pre-Covid lyrics?

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 29, 2023 14:03

I'd have preferred a "Live Licks" vinyl release...but one or two other recent vaults releases have kind of met the same brief and filled the same gap in the old vinyl collection.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 29, 2023 14:37

The funniest thing about this release to me is they said it’s in celebration of Mick’s birthday. I’m thinking how poor. But yeah I know it’s not aimed at the hard core fans, but in reality it is spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 29, 2023 14:38

frankotero
The funniest thing about this release to me is they said it’s in celebration of Mick’s birthday. I’m thinking how poor. But yeah I know it’s not aimed at the hard core fans, but in reality it is spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yeah, that was...underwhelming.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 29, 2023 16:16

Perhaps they mean that the money we spend on this release will be put in Mick's birthday card to spend on loads of new training shoes ? grinning smiley

Date: June 29, 2023 19:17

frankotero

If it's a celebration of Mick's birthday, will Keith be jealous? And if it actually is a celebration of Mick's 80th, shouldn't it be 80 Licks?

Maybe they just want us to buy 2 copies to celebrate?

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: June 29, 2023 20:14

Some 15 years back or so, I bought the CD version of "40 Licks" online for $10 when it was just about to switch distributors from the one owning disc 1 to the one on disc 2. Also, it was the 1st time that I got any of these songs. There's hardly been a purchase with a higher value-to-money ratio.

The reissue looks as solid a set as "40 Licks" has always been.

Date: June 29, 2023 22:28

billwebster
Some 15 years back or so, I bought the CD version of "40 Licks" online for $10 when it was just about to switch distributors from the one owning disc 1 to the one on disc 2. Also, it was the 1st time that I got any of these songs. There's hardly been a purchase with a higher value-to-money ratio.

The reissue looks as solid a set as "40 Licks" has always been.

The music's the same...you may find a slight deterioration on the value-to-money ratio though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-29 22:28 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: dubclub ()
Date: June 29, 2023 22:31

I would have thought an EP with the four new songs at the time would have been a nice idea.
I would have bought this record immediately......

Date: June 29, 2023 22:33

dubclub
I would have thought an EP with the four new songs at the time would have been a nice idea.
I would have bought this record immediately......

I guess the idea was to get fans to buy yet another compilation, and the 4 news songs was the draw.

I'd rather they went with your suggestion, the EP and do 40 licks with four actual additional good songs.

Date: June 29, 2023 22:41

At the time, I thought the idea of releasing 40 Licks the way they did was quite good.
But nowadays...well....

Date: June 29, 2023 22:53

By the way...similar problems recording a new LP 20 years ago, as well as the last few years.
But have no idea if it's for the same reasons.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 29, 2023 22:57

I tried to love those four tracks. Really did try. When 40 Licks arrived. Guess I wanted to be a "good fan" or something. Thankfull. But I never went back. But CD 1 is great.

Date: June 29, 2023 23:04

Good point.winking smiley
I will probably never like Don't stop, but I do like the other three songs.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 30, 2023 00:33

I have nice memories of this collection when it was released. First time the whole catalogue high lights within the same package. Listened a lot of it on parties, with my then girl friend and so on. Oh yes.

But now I don't have any function for this release (the CD versions of those additional four songs are enough for me of them). But that's just me. The positive side is that ABKCO and Promotone (Stones) are colloborating here. If I recall right, it wasn't easy at all to talk ABKCO over for the project back then (they had HOT ROCKS that was selling well then as it is still doing). An optimist in me hopes that this might give birth to some new interesting ABKCO era releases (some rare, unreleased vaults stuff). You know, if as a part of the deal the Stones are showing green light for them.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-30 00:44 by Doxa.

Date: June 30, 2023 01:12

I remember that at the time I also had high, and possibly not entirely unjustified, hopes that many unreleased songs from the ABKCO would be released.
Sigh...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 30, 2023 07:12

I like the 4 new songs. Don’t Stop is one of my all-time faves. Losing My Touch is a classic Keef crooner. For me Keys to Your Love is the weakest of them.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 30, 2023 09:27

Did you guys know there’s a 4 track promo EP with the 4 new songs? I love that one.

Date: June 30, 2023 10:11

Oh, I didn't know that.
But as I see on Discogs, the promo EP is only available on CD.

Since I prefer records (vinyl), but also have a lot of music in digital format (hard drive...ripped all my CDs and also bought many downloads), I can at least put this EP together digitally, since I bought 40 licks back then.
It will certainly look good on Roon.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: June 30, 2023 12:25

So I can finally listen to Keys to Your Love on Spotify after 30 July.. never really missed those songs but its a nice treat anyway

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 1, 2023 03:31

They're sure milking this for all it's worth...now there's new "40 Licks" t-shirts available in the official merch store...yawn.

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: July 1, 2023 04:19

I´m still thiking if i would resist to order the vinyl

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2383
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home