Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Parachute Women" - New book about Stones' women
Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: June 14, 2023 13:45

[bestclassicbands.com]

Publisher:
Parachute Women () Hachette Book Group

Parachute Women
Marianne Faithfull, Marsha Hunt, Bianca Jagger, Anita Pallenberg, and the Women Behind the Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-16 20:57 by bv.

Re: New book: Parachute Women
Date: June 14, 2023 14:04

It was new to me that Marsha Hunt «taught a group of straight-laced boys to be bad». How? smiling smiley

Where and what about Sir Mick Jagger
Posted by: RollstoDRSC ()
Date: June 16, 2023 01:50

Hi
Collectors , fans and all other interested people,
I don't wait for an announcement about tour or new album...
I'm waiting for a statement about Mick Jagger himself !!
Something must be happened !!
No press, not the serious and also the boulevard or yellow press reports anything!!I have called with some of them and it could be there is an message blocking!!
I'm over 50 years collector and fan...but this is new for me!!

Re: Where and what about Sir Mick Jagger
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: June 16, 2023 15:24

RollstoDRSC
Hi
Collectors , fans and all other interested people,
I don't wait for an announcement about tour or new album...
I'm waiting for a statement about Mick Jagger himself !!
Something must be happened !!
No press, not the serious and also the boulevard or yellow press reports anything!!I have called with some of them and it could be there is an message blocking!!
I'm over 50 years collector and fan...but this is new for me!!

I wouldn't worry about Mick that much. The other day he was watching a cricket match in London (Australia beat India). There is always a reason for not communicating with the media. One little bit of news usually get blown up out of proportion.
My guess is that there may be some (minor) health issue here or there and when linked to any possible upcoming "tour" (insurance issues for example), time is needed to sort things out.

I remember from 2004, organizing a 40th anniversary event, that any contact with Charlie was temporarily out of order. Many months later it turned out that he was treated for throat cancer. No communication for months with the media then. All turned out fine and the Stones were back on the road massively as of 2005 winking smiley

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

"Parachute Women" - New book about Stones' women
Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: July 15, 2023 10:00

Article about new book Parachute Women

I don't agree with the author's assessment of Anita. Past a certain point, her influence on Keith, her children and the RS was entirely toxic.

Publisher:
Parachute Women () Hachette Book Group

Parachute Women
Marianne Faithfull, Marsha Hunt, Bianca Jagger, Anita Pallenberg, and the Women Behind the Rolling Stones

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-15 18:04 by bv.

Re: New book about Stones' women
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 15, 2023 11:06

Bliss

I don't agree with the author's assessment of Anita. Past a certain point, her influence on Keith, her children and the RS was entirely toxic.

Interesting read, thanks for posting.
I don't agree with you. If men like Mick or Keith are tough and self-assured, and in the case of Keith, living a dangerous lifestyle, they are admired. If a woman behaves like that, they are called toxic or worse.
These were strong women and they didn't like to be pushed into the background. It is interesting how they influenced those boys and turned them into artists.
The same is true with John Lennon and Yoko Ono who obviously influenced him and is still resented for it by a lot of people.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 15, 2023 20:33

More here: [iorr.org]

Re: "Parachute Women" - New book about Stones' women
Date: July 15, 2023 22:32

80% of people's perception comes trough the eyes.

Date: July 16, 2023 00:00

matxil
Bliss

I don't agree with you. If men like Mick or Keith are tough and self-assured, and in the case of Keith, living a dangerous lifestyle, they are admired. If a woman behaves like that, they are called toxic or worse.
These were strong women and they didn't like to be pushed into the background. It is interesting how they influenced those boys and turned them into artists.
The same is true with John Lennon and Yoko Ono who obviously influenced him and is still resented for it by a lot of people.

Keith's close partnership with Mick began to erode after Anita slept with Mick during the filming of Performance and at Nellcote.

Keith admitted that his work suffered badly as a result of his years of heroin addiction. He separated from Anita because he said that he could not clean up with her around because of her continued drug use.

At Nellcote, she was known to have induced the cook's teenaged daughter to try heroin.

Her reckless actions led to a great deal of calamitous legal trouble for the Stones, both in France and Canada.

She used heroin throughout her pregnancy with Angela. There are several accounts of her poor parenting, including her own admission; her daughter was taken away from her at the age of 7.

The family of the 17 year old boy who killed himself in her bed playing Russian roulette, Scott Cantrell, stated that they felt she was responsible for his death.

Toxic? You decide.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 16, 2023 02:13

Bliss
matxil
Bliss

Keith's close partnership with Mick began to erode after Anita slept with Mick during the filming of Performance and at Nellcote.

Keith admitted that his work suffered badly as a result of his years of heroin addiction. He separated from Anita because he said that he could not clean up with her around because of her continued drug use.

At Nellcote, she was known to have induced the cook's teenaged daughter to try heroin.

Her reckless actions led to a great deal of calamitous legal trouble for the Stones, both in France and Canada.

She used heroin throughout her pregnancy with Angela. There are several accounts of her poor parenting, including her own admission; her daughter was taken away from her at the age of 7.

The family of the 17 year old boy who killed himself in her bed playing Russian roulette, Scott Cantrell, stated that they felt she was responsible for his death.

Toxic? You decide.
I thought Keith split from her after this young man she was with in her New York house shot and killed himself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-16 04:24 by Taylor1.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: July 16, 2023 05:57

Drugs and alcohol fueled all these relationships don’t think Mick let anyone get in his way… back then Keith just needed a fellow junkie it’s simply amazing all the amazing music they produced on their terms.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 16, 2023 11:11

Bliss
matxil
Bliss

Toxic? You decide.

Sure, she was a junkie, and junkies are terrible parents and have terrible lives. My point was that Keith was just as much a junkie and he's celebrated for his "wasted elegance" etc...

Date: July 16, 2023 13:32

Actually, for those in the know, Keith can also be considered a toxic presence in the lives of many of his associates. There is a long trail of corpses behind him, people who thought they could be like him, though they did not have his resources.

Gram Parsons, Spanish Tony, Bill German, Freddie Sessler, Johnny Depp, Marshall Chess, Nick Kent, Mick Taylor immediately spring to mind.

This also includes fans who idolised him and sought to emulate him, which led to disaster for them.

Plus of course all the musicians whose work he and Mick ripped off...Mick Taylor, Ry Cooder, Rory Gallagher etc.

Keith is no angel, as I'm sure he'd be the first to admit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-16 13:33 by Bliss.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 16, 2023 14:07

matxil
Bliss
matxil
Bliss

Toxic? You decide.

Sure, she was a junkie, and junkies are terrible parents and have terrible lives. My point was that Keith was just as much a junkie and he's celebrated for his "wasted elegance" etc...

Mick Taylor made 2 of your lists!!!

Rod

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 16, 2023 14:12

Unless you were there, what do you know?

The following correction was printed in the Observer's For the record column, Sunday 9 May 2010

In this article we said Robert Greenfield in his book subtitled "A season in hell with the Rolling Stones" had aired a rumour "which he did not confirm or refute" that Anita Pallenberg had encouraged the teenage daughter of an employee to inject heroin for the first time. We should make it clear that the book discounts the rumour, stating that the employee, who was motivated by a desire to blackmail Pallenberg, did not even have a daughter. We reported that another rumour in the book "has Jagger bedding Pallenberg while Richards has nodded out on heroin". The book substantiates the rumour of the affair, but does not connect it to Richards's heroin addiction. We apologise for these errors.

Also: [pleasekillme.com]

Date: July 16, 2023 14:27

Spanish Tony reported that Anita had sex with Tommy Weber while Keith nodded out close by. Tony was there.

June Shelley, Keith's nanny at Nellcote, reported that she had to make enquiries about procuring an abortion for Anita. Robert Greenfield, in A Season in Hell, reported that Anita was worried she was carrying Mick's child. While I like the dramatic tone of Robert Greenfield's book, it is not in the same category as the two authors mentioned above, because they were both intimately involved with Keith.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 16, 2023 20:17

Bliss
Actually, for those in the know, Keith can also be considered a toxic presence in the lives of many of his associates. There is a long trail of corpses behind him, people who thought they could be like him, though they did not have his resources.

Gram Parsons, Spanish Tony, Bill German, Freddie Sessler, Johnny Depp, Marshall Chess, Nick Kent, Mick Taylor immediately spring to mind.

This also includes fans who idolised him and sought to emulate him, which led to disaster for them.

Plus of course all the musicians whose work he and Mick ripped off...Mick Taylor, Ry Cooder, Rory Gallagher etc.
When he
People who do drugs make their own choices. And they never ripped off Rory Gallagher for anything, because he barely played with them. The Ry Cooder thing is not a rip off only an influence

Date: July 16, 2023 20:49

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: July 17, 2023 18:12

Bliss
Ry Cooder

The rolling stones references in the article are complete BS

"Cooder’s contributions most notably appear on the Stones’ Beggars Banquet where he shares a prominent credit with pianist, Nicky Hopkins on the back cover" Credit must be in the toilet, because I can't see it. To no surprise, because he does not play anything on BB.

His notable contribution to bleed is limited to a mandolin solo on Love in Vain.

Indeed the Sister Morphine solo is great.

The "open-G signature riff of Honky Tonk Women” is a quite common blues lick that can be easily played in standard tuning as well.

C

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 17, 2023 23:49

Depressing...

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 18, 2023 03:58

"A new book about the four women who worked tirelessly behind the scenes to help shape and curate the image of The Rolling Stones,"

if that is really what this book is about, it should also contain a chapter (or two, or three) about Jane Rose.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 18, 2023 04:56

skytrench

If you were there, you were probably too stoned to be a reliable witness to anything.

Seriously, that's a silly defense to take. It's like saying no one can judge bad behavior unless they witnessed it. They were all bad people. The Stones, their women, their friends. They all broke the law and did terrible things. They're all best viewed from a safe distance. That's true of nearly everyone in the entertainment business and more than a fair number of statesmen and politicians. Much like gangsters during the Great Depression, part of the appeal is they flaunted their anti-establishment behavior and dared to be honest, to an extent, rather than hiding it beneath the hypocrisy of respectability and authority. They acted this way because they had the wealth and clout to get away with it. The younger you are, the more admirable it seems. The older you get, the more protective you grow and the more such behavior seems a threat to what you value. Not really much different than a debauched rock star accepting a knighthood when you think of it that way. Everyone grows old and, to an extent, becomes what they once railed against. In the end, the last battleground is mortality.

Date: July 18, 2023 10:09

Rocky Dijon
skytrench

If you were there, you were probably too stoned to be a reliable witness to anything.

Seriously, that's a silly defense to take. It's like saying no one can judge bad behavior unless they witnessed it. They were all bad people. The Stones, their women, their friends. They all broke the law and did terrible things. They're all best viewed from a safe distance. That's true of nearly everyone in the entertainment business and more than a fair number of statesmen and politicians. Much like gangsters during the Great Depression, part of the appeal is they flaunted their anti-establishment behavior and dared to be honest, to an extent, rather than hiding it beneath the hypocrisy of respectability and authority. They acted this way because they had the wealth and clout to get away with it. The younger you are, the more admirable it seems. The older you get, the more protective you grow and the more such behavior seems a threat to what you value. Not really much different than a debauched rock star accepting a knighthood when you think of it that way. Everyone grows old and, to an extent, becomes what they once railed against. In the end, the last battleground is mortality.

Very insightful post. When people have money, fame or power, they authorise themselves to behave in ways outside normal standards. It is interesting that both Mick and Keith (with his second family) apparently turned out to be excellent parents to their numerous offspring. The only reported infractions I can recall on the part of their children are Theodora getting caught writing a small graffito on a wall and Lizzie filmed in a sexual encounter in a nightclub, many years ago. Bill has stated that he would not allow his daughters to engage in adult activities as did the girls he was involved with during his years with the RS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-18 20:37 by Bliss.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 18, 2023 10:43

Rocky Dijon
skytrench

Lol, which in itself refutes the accusations. It is tasteless to present hearsay as facts and the dead are unable to respond.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: July 18, 2023 18:16

Rocky Dijon
skytrench

Thanks, Rocky Dijon, for your wise words.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 18, 2023 19:30

Bliss

Add Bobby Keys.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: July 20, 2023 22:58

Just listened to the audio book. Well-written and has stuff in it I didn't already knew (always a challenge for new Stones books). Recommend.

Posted by: Zotz ()
Date: July 21, 2023 02:36

doitywoik
Bliss

Add Bobby Keys.

Add Stanley Booth.

Date: July 21, 2023 09:39

Zotz
doitywoik
Bliss

Add Bobby Keys.

Add Stanley Booth.

When I enumerated the people whose association with Keith led to harm, I was referring to specific incidents:

- Keith and Ronnie asked Bill German to receive their drugs in Japan

- Freddie Sessler took the blame for Keith's drugs and went to jail

- Spanish Tony was left with a raging heroin habit after Keith cut him loose after years of service

Etc, etc.

What happened to Bobby Keys and Stanley Booth? I do recall reading that they just dumped Bobby in a cab and that was that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home