Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Why is there not more Stones live tracks played on FM and satellite radio?
Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: April 17, 2023 19:54

I listen to a lot of XM/Sirius/FM radio and literally never hear a Stones live track. Even on Deep Tracks (which is playing Sleep Tonight as I type this!) there is literarily no live Stones played.

I think in my 40+ years as a Stones fan I have only heard Ya-Ya's tracks played on a FM station overnight on the old WZMF station in Milwaukee, WI.

Why wouldn't any classic rock station be mainlining "Brussels Affair" The Stones live catalog is above reproach in my opinion, why isnt it played?

Just wondering.

Re: Why is there not more Stones live tracks played on FM and satellite radio?
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 17, 2023 23:42

Good question. Ya Yas. Still Life. El Mocambo. Even Flashpoint's got a couple decent tracks. (Factory Girl for one). And yes, Brussels. I don't remember if they played live tracks when the Stones had a dedicated Sirius channel around the time of a U.S. tour. Maybe those programming it put little faith in the average fan caring for anything other than studio cuts.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 18, 2023 00:30

Do they play live tracks from other bands?

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: April 18, 2023 00:49

Koen
Do they play live tracks from other bands?

Yes Sirius/XM plays live cuts on deep tracks, classic vinyl, classic rewind. Deep tracks is where I would think the Stones live stuff would go nuts. The other channels are very vanilla.

But besides current radio, In my 40+ years of FM listening, Stones live cuts are rare air. I think even even non Stones fans would admit they are a force of nature live.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: April 18, 2023 01:04

Because the Stones live tracks were not really hits I guess, Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick for example have real live hit singles.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: April 18, 2023 01:21

I listen to the “Deep tracks” and “Underground Garage” channels quite a bit.
Certainly both those channels have played live tracks - but the bulk of what
they play are studio tracks.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 18, 2023 01:22

the classic rock station in my area plays almost nothing but stuff from the 80's, 90's and sadly the 2000's

and it seems that it's always the same 10 songs over and over again with a smattering of 70's songs and a very few select songs from the 60's

when they do play the stones it's either miss you, satisfaction, sympathy for the devil or ycagwyw

that's it

but hey its not much better for the beatles either

and i'm not that old but even i can remember when this station was dominated by a much larger variety of actual classic rock from the 60's and 70's and not dominated phil collins, guns n' roses and various grunge bands

but at least i get to listen to danny bonaduce in the morning

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: April 18, 2023 10:16

On one fm station I listen to here & one in US Stones are played a lot.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: April 18, 2023 15:03

Spotify has a live Stones channel, and a deep tracks channel. Which would be VERY awesome to the casual Stones fan. I listen to those channels when on long drives, and find them very entertaining, they really mix up the choices. Unlike some of the fans that post here, who have heard every released and unreleased versions of studio and live performances, those Stones fan might find them redundant.

What is FM anyway?

Date: April 18, 2023 15:07

<What is FM anyway?>

Good question. We don't even have it over here anymore, so it's been a long time since I've listened to FM radio.

Date: April 18, 2023 15:10

DandelionPowderman

Good question. We don't even have it over here anymore, so it's been a long time since I've listened to FM radio.

thumbs up

Date: April 18, 2023 15:32

DandelionPowderman

In Holland at least till 2027. We dutchies are old school people.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 18, 2023 16:16

As far as I can remember I've only heard MR from a Yas, and BS from LYL on radio. Seems to me that the Stones live doesn't apeal to casual radio listeners.

Date: April 18, 2023 16:21

As a kid I heard the 1981 Beast Of Burden live version, followed by Sweet Little Sixteen on radio. It took a few years before I understood that the latter was from 1978.

Date: April 18, 2023 22:19

DandelionPowderman
As a kid I heard the 1981 Beast Of Burden live version, followed by Sweet Little Sixteen on radio. It took a few years before I understood that the latter was from 1978.

Yeah, I remember in the 70's they had the KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR on FM radio, usually at 10:00 pm -- there were several versions Miss You -- that were very good, I remember Mick yelling at Keith to Slow Down on Sweet Little Sixteen. All live and in great quality. Good for taping on our cassette decks, and playing in the car and at pre-show concert parking lots. We used to all hang out at night listening to tapes of the KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR all of the time. Really great recordings of mostly entire live shows, of The Stones and other groups.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 19, 2023 14:52

I actually asked a Dutch DJ this years ago. His answer was that as all FM played tracks get compressed and played faster with 3BPM (making room for one more advertisement) the sound quality is not sufficient for radio, and audience noise and clapping distracts and makes a nervous listening. When a live track is played it mostly is in the night when there are less listeners.

Mathijs

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: April 19, 2023 16:15

Deep tracks will play live CYHMK occasionally

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2056
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home