Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Ronnie Wood at the The Ivy Club, London March 23, 2023
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: April 8, 2023 13:24

ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
To get in the top 100 etc it helps to be original or at least distinctive in your sound, nothing funny about it.

just my opinion

but i think ronnie has a very distinct and reconizable sound

at least to me

To my ears his sound changes through the years, different set ups, last couple of tours Ronnie has butchered his own solo's, it's difficult to understand what he's trying as he's no Jeff Beck, I don't think being unpredictable works for Ronnie, but yeah he does have a sound that i love sometimes, he can blow me away with the soul in his playing. He's so hit and miss it does my head in hehe.
I think of Ronnie as a Jack of all trades and master of none, he clearly has magical moments though.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 8, 2023 13:55

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards
To get in the top 100 etc it helps to be original or at least distinctive in your sound, nothing funny about it.

just my opinion

at least to me

To my ears his sound changes through the years, different set ups, last couple of tours Ronnie has butchered his own solo's, it's difficult to understand what he's trying as he's no Jeff Beck, I don't think being unpredictable works for Ronnie, but yeah he does have a sound that i love sometimes, he can blow me away with the soul in his playing. He's so hit and miss it does my head in hehe.
I think of Ronnie as a Jack of all trades and master of none, he clearly has magical moments though.

to my ears he's had a pretty similar sound for the last 50 years

but (like keith) it's gotten simpler and sloppier the last few decades

but still distinctly him

as far as his solo's being hit or miss that seems to be something of a long standing tradition with him and not a recent development

in fact i recall someone (whom i can't remember) posted recently here a story slash told about ronnie guesting with guns n roses and he comes out and has to play something really simple and yet ends up completely screwing it up but he looked so damn cool while doing it

and i think this is ronnie in a nutshell either he nails it and blows everyone away or completely screws it up and we all love him anyway because what can you do that's our ronniegrinning smiley

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 8, 2023 18:26

keefriffhards
ProfessorWolf
keefriffhards

just my opinion

at least to me

Ronnie has always been an unpredictable guitarist, he never played the same solo twice in a row in the same way.
He's basically a rhythm guitarist not a lead guitarist, but he also plays a lot of solos, usually you don't get into the top 100 guitarists if you're a rhythm guitarist or at least it's rare that it happens and that's just ignorance, because in the end the rhythm guitar is very more important than doing guitar solos.
Ronnie's career has had its ups and downs, for example there was a time when he was so stoned that he didn't excel at what he played. Ronnie has sometimes complained that with the Stones there was little rehearsal, especially when they served seldom played songs, sometimes he learned about it on the night of the concert, but with the Stones it was like this.
I really liked how he played on sticky fingers, most likely in that case he knew exactly what was going to be played that night, his rendition of Sister Morphine was fantastic.
When Ronnie joined the Stones everyone at the time knew him, because the Faces and Rod S. were very popular.
I think the comparison with Mick Taylor doesn't make any sense, because they are two completely different guitarists, however Ronnie is the one who best remembers Brian J.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 8, 2023 19:20

Why does every Ronnie Wood thread turn into a comparison with Mick Taylor?

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: April 8, 2023 20:06

Ronnie is far from the peak of his powers, but playing dry through a small practice amp is not a great representation of his skills at present.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 9, 2023 13:39

Koen
I think musical ignorance, although it is true that he replaced Taylor so sometimes it comes naturally, but no one ever compares Taylor to Brian J.
After that it is legitimate to prefer the Taylor period, or that of Brian or that of Wood, it's just a matter of taste.
But they're all so different musicians... what's annoying is to think that Wood is there for luck, but luck is just an invention of the losers.

Date: April 9, 2023 20:41

Testify
Koen
I think musical ignorance, although it is true that he replaced Taylor so sometimes it comes naturally, but no one ever compares Taylor to Brian J.
After that it is legitimate to prefer the Taylor period, or that of Brian or that of Wood, it's just a matter of taste.
But they're all so different musicians... what's annoying is to think that Wood is there for luck, but luck is just an invention of the losers.

So people that appreciate Taylor and the Taylor Stones era are ignorant loosers.confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-09 20:42 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 9, 2023 21:53

Looking forward to Ronnie's appearance at the Jeff Beck tribute in May, but guessing be might just be playing bass as he did in the Jeff Beck Group.

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: April 10, 2023 01:54

If you don't think Ronnie can play lead, check out this version of the Jimi Hendrix tune Little Wing... From Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert, Ronnie plays incredible lead guitar here and outshines Clapton and Pete Townshend. You can tell it's Ronnie by his unique tone and style. Beautiful playing by Ronnie...

Date: April 10, 2023 10:35

roundnround

If you don't think Ronnie can play lead, check out this version of the Jimi Hendrix tune Little Wing... From Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert, Ronnie plays incredible lead guitar here and outshines Clapton and Pete Townshend. You can tell it's Ronnie by his unique tone and style. Beautiful playing by Ronnie...

Very soulful, Hendrix eat your heart out, but who's the joker playing for the Stones, what happened to Ronnie.

Posted by: dkwalika ()
Date: April 11, 2023 14:33

And a new Faces book:

[bestclassicbands.com]

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 11, 2023 16:15

smoking smiley

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 12, 2023 23:24

Thanks, Ronnie

Date: April 15, 2023 23:07

Ronnie guesting with Guns'n'Roses on HTW.

[m.youtube.com]

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home