Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor's last Stones Concert 12-14-81 Kansas City
Posted by: todd40fla ()
Date: November 29, 2005 13:05

Was just wondering if anyone knew how many songs Mick played with the Stones on that night.

Did he stand in for 5 or 6 songs or did he play the entire show.

Just downloaded the show off rockpassion and while you can definitely hear him it sounds as if they turned his amp WAY down!!!

Re: Mick Taylor's last Stones Concert 12-14-81 Kansas City
Posted by: gregsmart79 ()
Date: November 29, 2005 13:14

Quote from Ron, 14 Dec 1981:

"He shocked us with how loud he was blasting it, bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos"

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 29, 2005 13:22

Sounds like flippin normal to me eh.... MLC

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 29, 2005 13:22

He wasn't plugged into the soundboard. And since the Kansas 1981 show is a soundboarding recording you can't or hardly hear him. He may have been heard in the mics on stage a bit, but not directly through the soundboard.

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 29, 2005 13:26

gregsmart79 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Quote from Ron, 14 Dec 1981:
>
> "He shocked us with how loud he was blasting it,
> bulldozing through parts of songs that should have
> been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited
> solos"

That's the way he always played... he took off with the lead and the rest of the band followed... Notice out out of breath Jagger often is on vocals... Keith is basically just "keeping up with MT", layin' riffs on top of MT's main line...

That's why those early Mick Taylor Stones concerts were known for SPEED

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 29, 2005 14:13

Somebody pointed out on this board, I remember, that his guitar on the soundboard recording of "Brown Sugar" (Rotterdam 1973) is one of his most leading playing ever. He plays solo all the way through, in a different way than on the other 73 shows. A nice listen.

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: November 29, 2005 16:05

I know many here loved MT's stage style of playing but Personally I can't take the 3 or for minute continuous scale solos. There is such a thing of playing TOO much.

As a guitar player it's very important to know when NOT to play. MT may have been able to run all over the fretboard (because KR was holding down the song) but he never had KR's sense of timing and accenting (which,in his prime, Ronnie was very good at) and MT, playing his bar gigs today, will never have.

I am not a Taylor basher, his contributions on basically 4 albums were very good, although by IORR he seemed on auto-pilot. Time Waits for No One is some beautiful guitar playing but technically speaking it was not like he created a new scale.

He should have taken a brake or two between notes now and then. Even Eddie Van Halen knew when to hang back on soloing.

Milo, NYC
Much, too much

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 29, 2005 16:11

At bloomin last! Someone with some sense!!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 29, 2005 18:16

There's a soundboard of Rotterdam 73 available? Pray, where might I obtain this? If anyone has it I'll be glad to trade!

Date: November 29, 2005 19:30

Ive got Rotterdam 73 in my vaults.

Date: November 29, 2005 19:32

That was a joke. Only "Brown Sugar" is available from Rotterdam. You know, there are some "loose" tracks available from Newcastle, Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Essen and Rotterdam. Available on several releases. Ive got them on "Back To The Graveyard" (OBR).

Date: November 29, 2005 19:34

Maybe by IORR the rest of the band had learned how to keep Mick Taylor from taking control, by sidelining him, and that's partly why he left?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 29, 2005 20:06

maybe. i totally agree with Milo up there, and am so glad to see someone else say it.
as Keith puts it: the musicians are there to serve the music. Mick T (bless him) had a distinct tendency to forget that.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 29, 2005 20:07

Thanks Erik. I thought for a minute there was a '73 soundboard I didn't have! I have a Rotterdam show but it is piss poor quality and I do have 'Back To The Grave Yard'

Date: November 30, 2005 03:11

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 22:16 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: November 30, 2005 03:51

Bill Wyman's quote on Taylor during 89 tour interview that i have on dvd, the greatest musician ever in the band.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: November 30, 2005 05:41

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Chris M! (I hope you read this.) I listened
> through "Back To The Graveyard" this eveing, and
> then I realized its not on this CD. Its on "Nasty
> Music" (VGP, beware). Together with SFM from
> Brussels. OK, Erik.

The soundboard is on Timeless Europe '72 (2CD) and Ultimate Live Document. I don't recall Nasty Music, but I thought that had Brussels, NYC & London.

with sssoul Wrote:
> as Keith puts it: the musicians are there to serve
> the music. Mick T (bless him) had a distinct
> tendency to forget that.

So the mugging, "too hot to handle the neck" guitar playing, etc. are all in service of . . . the music?

everything's turnin' Wrote:
> Maybe by IORR the rest of the band had learned how
> to keep Mick Taylor from taking control, by
> sidelining him, and that's partly why he left?

Despite Richards' efforts, TWFNO showed that Taylor wouldn't be silenced and the progression from '69 through '73 showed Taylor taking a much more, not less, prominent role both in the studio and on stage. He did not participate as much in IORR presumably because he was in the hospital, not because they Brian Jonesed him.

Milo Yammbag Wrote:
> As a guitar player it's very important to know
> when NOT to play.

I am beginning to better understand why you like Wood's playing on this tour.

> but he never had KR's sense of timing
> and accenting (which,in his prime, Ronnie was very
> good at) and MT, playing his bar gigs today, will
> never have.

From MT's melodies, you can typically discern the rhythm, the chord changes and particularly the song. That requires incredible timing, especially when his playing is seamless and does not highlight the bars. The Chuck Berry licks and Wood's solos are generally interchangeable between songs.

> IORR he seemed on auto-pilot. Time Waits for No
> One is some beautiful guitar playing but
> technically speaking it was not like he created a
> new scale.

Your earlier points are that the "technical" issues are irrelevant for music. So which do you really think is important?

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: November 30, 2005 06:26

Where was this gig, anybody know ?

Was it at the old downtown auditorium ? That's actually the FIRST place I ever saw the Stones, around 71 or 72 for the StickyFingers / EOMS Tour.

We were 10th row, what an awesome show... opened with a blistering Brown Sugar and just kept at it, one perfect song after the other...

As for MT's playing style, he didn't move around much on stage at all, he just "got busy" on lead and basically everyone else hopped on board. Set a blistering pace.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: November 30, 2005 06:54

BornOnTheBayou Wrote:
> Where was this gig, anybody know ?
>
> Was it at the old downtown auditorium ? That's
> actually the FIRST place I ever saw the Stones,
> around 71 or 72 for the StickyFingers / EOMS
> Tour.

Kemper Arena. From time to time, someone posts on this site the only known picture of this show with MT.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: November 30, 2005 08:41

I ahev no doubt that Bill said that, Chippy, but he is also on record as stating that the reunion concert discussed in the opening posts of this thread was the worst of the tour; his opinion not mine. Ans he lays the balme quite squarely in the fact that no one on stage could hear above the guitars...on the disc MJ even describes one song when they finish as a "guitar onslaught."

Who knows who was at fault, MT was not plugged in to the soundbaord / PA. So he played louder and louder on his stage amps until he disrupted the rest of the musicians.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home