Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jimi Hendrix & Miles Davis
Posted by: Yazid Manou ()
Date: September 28, 2022 13:05

French (good) news !

The editor of the monthly Jazz Magazine asked me to write an article, as complete as possible, on the very mysterious links between Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis. A subject that still provokes many fantasies today.

The paper is a real investigation (never written before) starting from the telegram of October 1969 that I revealed in 2012 proposing to Paul McCartney to play on an album with Jimi, Miles and the drummer Tony Williams!

Jazz Magazine will be available starting tomorrow and will exceptionally remain on newsstands for two months.

Sorry the article is not available in english for now eye rolling smiley

Re: Jimi Hendrix & Miles Davis
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 28, 2022 13:16

I'm not a huge jazz guy but that would've been interesting!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-09-28 15:11 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 28, 2022 18:03

I still love listening to Jimi Hendrix his music, and if he were still alive his music would probably be progressive and collaborate with others like Miles

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 28, 2022 18:15

Seeing this put me in mind of another collaboration - John Lee Hooker and Miles Davis on the soundtrack for the movie, "The Hot Spot". A cool listen. Re Hendrix, one can only wonder where his muse would have taken him had he lived.

[www.allmusic.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Date: September 28, 2022 18:22

runaway
I still love listening to Jimi Hendrix his music, and if he were still alive his music would probably be progressive and collaborate with others like Miles

Maybe something like this.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 28, 2022 18:51

TheflyingDutchman
runaway

Maybe something like this.

Thanks for this Great Improvasation

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 28, 2022 22:52

The collaboration of Miles and Hendrix is well known for many years, but unfortunately never happened. Miles is telling about in his biography in 1989.
They wanted to meet in London in 1970 after the Isle of Wight Festival but missed it. Highly recommend Miles‘ 38 minutes gig at Isle of Wight on YouTube with Keith Jarret and Chick Corea in the band. Great to see the reaction of the young people listening to new created music , never heard before. You get an idea how Hendrix would have fit in.
Miles was telling that he and Hendrix jammed before in Miles house and planned to make a record with Alan Douglas as producer. Never happened . After missing the meeting in London Miles got a call from Gil Evans in New York to meet Hendrix.
Hendrix died when they were waiting for him .
This is what Miles is telling in his biography.
Another interesting collaboration did happen: Miles and Prince. Miles played some of this stuff live in his last years. Further collaboration was stopped then by Miles death …

Tom

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 29, 2022 06:00

I can imagine the cross fertilization of music between these two would have been interesting at least. Jazz and rock did blend later in the decade, but this might have been the spark that set it off. Both would have brought their audience to the project.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 29, 2022 14:42

My guess is the result of a Miles-Jimi-collaboration would not have been all to dissimilar from what can be heard on the Jack Johnson album (recorded in April 1970). That approach/style seems to me to be where the two of them converge(d at the time). But who knows.

Since the two of them reportedly jammed together before at Miles's house it would be interesting to know if it was just the two of them or if other people (musicians or else) were present who could say a thing or two about how these jams went and what they were like. Maybe even a tape exists still somewhere in somebody's attic?

Date: September 29, 2022 15:32

Maybe Miles originally had Jimi in mind for Jack Johnson?

McLaughlin certainly offered us a new side of himself for that album: dirty, semi-out of tune and fragmental.

Love that album!

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 29, 2022 17:01

In the following records he always wanted a Hendrixish sounding guitar player in his band. "Live Evil", "On The Corner", and all the live albums from the mid-seventies are very good examples of this. Great records!! In his autobiography he extensively speaks about this (by the way, that's my favourite autobiography from a musician, since it extensively covers the musical and artistic side, much more so than, for example, Keith's autobiography).

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: September 29, 2022 20:33

Wild Slivovitz
In the following records he always wanted a Hendrixish sounding guitar player in his band. "Live Evil", "On The Corner", and all the live albums from the mid-seventies are very good examples of this. Great records!! In his autobiography he extensively speaks about this (by the way, that's my favourite autobiography from a musician, since it extensively covers the musical and artistic side, much more so than, for example, Keith's autobiography).

Some years ago when I restarted listening to electric Miles, starting with the studio recordings In a Silent Way- Bitches Brew- Jack Johnson-On The Corner, I got addicted to his 70s live records. Live Evil , Pangea , Agharta and so on . What a trip , what a tour de force. Way ahead of it’s time , copied and sampled. When you go back then and listen to usual pop / rock song structure, it sounds like kindergarden… After electric Miles listening and digging Ummagumna? Easy , no problem… it really change your listening …

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1146
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home