Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bill Wyman Why I left The Rolling Stones
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 24, 2022 15:48

Just came across this. Very good, very interesting. Apologies if it was posted before.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Bill Wyman Why I left The Rolling Stones
Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: July 24, 2022 16:22

Kinda funny how the interviewer sounds like Mick Jagger, the way he speaks.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 24, 2022 18:03

Gone from the band now more than half its existence.

Wanted to leave while they were "on top"..
Fair to say he miscalculated.. but I could see either side of that debate.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: July 24, 2022 19:54

Maybe he wanted to hook up with Gary Glitter.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 24, 2022 20:42

frenki09
Kinda funny how the interviewer sounds like Mick Jagger, the way he speaks.

David Frost, according to some of the comments.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: July 24, 2022 21:17

Sounds like David Frost yes. As for Wyman, well...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 24, 2022 21:24

It is indeed David Frost

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: July 24, 2022 21:42

Enjoyed this, decent questions and straightforward answers.. He def did go out on top, everything the remaining members play was written with Bill. His was the Stones that grabbed me, moved me, changed me.. I enjoy still getting to hear them play, but often trying to catch a glimpse of what was.. Of course the playful energy of Keith now is def heartwarming

Date: July 24, 2022 22:20

Part of his definition (only?) for "going out on top" was the tours they had just finished, not the music they had just created.

Using his own criteria, he miscalculated by .. decades.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 24, 2022 22:23

snoopy2
Enjoyed this, decent questions and straightforward answers.. He def did go out on top, everything the remaining members play was written with Bill. His was the Stones that grabbed me, moved me, changed me.. I enjoy still getting to hear them play, but often trying to catch a glimpse of what was.. Of course the playful energy of Keith now is def heartwarming

True - back when they were still a functioning proper recording band vs. the live nostalgia act they've become.
Makes you wonder what they might have accomplished had he stayed in the band...

Whatever the case, glad they're still rolling on. Maybe not as rocking as they once were, but they're still rolling.
Mick is still the greatest front man, while Keith still puts all of his heart and soul in to it. thumbs up

Date: July 24, 2022 22:36

<everything the remaining members play was written with Bill>

?

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 24, 2022 22:39

MisterDDDD

Not really half their existence if you define it by creativity.While he was in the band like 23 studio albums, since he left 3 including one which is one of their worst

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 24, 2022 23:18

I found interesting that he mentioned that "Ian was almost a member". Almost...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: July 24, 2022 23:22

IORR Feb 1996 article:

Why Bill Wyman left The Rolling Stones

Bjornulf

Date: July 25, 2022 00:13

Taylor1
MisterDDDD

Not really half their existence if you define it by creativity.While he was in the band like 23 studio albums, since he left 3 including one which is one of their worst

Yes, it really is (over) half their existence..

If you define it by the definition winking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 25, 2022 00:44

Taylor1
While he was in the band like 23 studio albums, since he left 3 including one which is one of their worst

The good old days when new Stones albums came out quickly...like clockwork every two or three years, you could count on it.
Even when they were in the midst of WWIII and at each others throats, they released a new album!!!

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 01:02

MisterDDDD
Taylor1
MisterDDDD

Well, half of their existence mostly doing an oldies live show without Bill

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 25, 2022 01:42

snoopy2

I agree with this. If I'm being honest with myself, the more that time has passed... of the 22 shows I've seen only 1 was with Wyman and that is the one I've been chasing ever since. And now I can't even bring myself to chase anymore without Charlie...but there's so much to listen to and so much I've been given by these guys that I want for nothing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 16:12 by floodonthepage.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 25, 2022 04:18

MisterDDDD

Well the other side of that debate should have seen him leave in 1972, or 73, or 78, or maybe 81.

Date: July 25, 2022 04:22

floodonthepage
snoopy2

I agree with this. If I'm being honest with myself, the more that time has passed... of the 22 shows I've seen only 1 was with Wyman and that is the one I've been chasing ever since. And now I can't even chase anymore without Charlie...but there's so much to listen to and so much I've been given by these guys that I want for nothing.

Ha, I only saw two shows with Bill, both in 89. But he's still in 'the band' that I remember. They'll always be a 5 piece band for me; not a 4 piece, or 3 piece.

But we're fortunate to still be able to enjoy some form of the band, and the music 60+ years on whatever the lineup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-25 04:23 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 04:42

treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

I agree with this. If I'm being honest with myself, the more that time has passed... of the 22 shows I've seen only 1 was with Wyman and that is the one I've been chasing ever since. And now I can't even chase anymore without Charlie...but there's so much to listen to and so much I've been given by these guys that I want for nothing.

Ha, I only saw two shows with Bill, both in 89. But he's still in 'the band' that I remember. They'll always be a 5 piece band for me; not a 4 piece, or 3 piece.

But we're fortunate to still be able to enjoy some form of the band, and the music 60+ years on whatever the lineup.

Hey Treacle, I'm assuming the 2 BC Place shows?

Date: July 25, 2022 04:52

treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

Well the other side of that debate should have seen him leave in 1972, or 73, or 78, or maybe 81.

Agree.. it's definitely debatable (especially with hindsight) as to when "they were on top" amongst us fans.

What's interesting is his definition of when and why they were on top.. in this interview shortly after his retirement he's clear- he thought they were on top because of the popularity of their most recent tours.

Pretty straight forward and hardly debatable that he was dead wrong on that count. As Charlie said in an interview, he was sorry that Bill quit right before the big $$ from tours started (paraphrasing).

"I thought it was a great time to end.. because we'd never been bigger, we'd never had bigger tours, and for me it was like a Grand Finale".

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 05:47

MisterDDDD
treaclefingers
MisterDDDD

Agree.. it's definitely debatable (especially with hindsight) as to when "they were on top" amongst us fans.

What's interesting is his definition of when and why they were on top.. in this interview shortly after his retirement he's clear- he thought they were on top because of the popularity of their most recent tours.

Pretty straight forward and hardly debatable that he was dead wrong on that count. As Charlie said in an interview, he was sorry that Bill quit right before the big $$ from tours started (paraphrasing).

"I thought it was a great time to end.. because we'd never been bigger, we'd never had bigger tours, and for me it was like a Grand Finale".

89-90 was the first big $$$ tour they did with Michael Cohl. I remember the Rolling Stone magazine with Mick and Keith on the cover with the headline "What are they going to do with all that money". Of course, all the ensuing ones were huge, too, but each Stone making millions from the Steel Wheels tour, I'm sure Bill was more than happy to leave then. Also, I've read that he doesn't like flying so that was part of the reason.

Date: July 25, 2022 06:07

DGA35
treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

Hey Treacle, I'm assuming the 2 BC Place shows?

You are correct sir!

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 25, 2022 07:31

treaclefingers
floodonthepage
snoopy2

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: padre69 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 10:58

It would’ve been a nice touch to have Bill on Blue & Lonesome. I’m pretty sure Bill would’ve liked it too.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 18:51

Hairball
Taylor1
While he was in the band like 23 studio albums, since he left 3 including one which is one of their worst

The good old days when new Stones albums came out quickly...like clockwork every two or three years, you could count on it.
Even when they were in the midst of WWIII and at each others throats, they released a new album!!!

It was an eternity between SW and VL, and seemed like an equally excruciatingly long wait between VL and B2B......and that's to say nothing of the break between B2B and ABB!!!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 25, 2022 18:52

padre69
It would’ve been a nice touch to have Bill on Blue & Lonesome. I’m pretty sure Bill would’ve liked it too.

It would be nice for the non-existent new album, which positively - if it ever materializes - will have to be the last, to include both Bill and Mick T. Who cares about the damn writing credits at this juncture. Let's get one last phenomenal album and come full circle!!!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 25, 2022 20:02

Taylor1
MisterDDDD
Taylor1
MisterDDDD

Well, half of their existence mostly doing an oldies live show without Bill

Like Voodoo Lounge, Bridges Yo Babylon? Those weren’t oldies shows by far. They promoted the new albums Your wrong. Even the bigger bang tour had new tunes and deep cuts.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 25, 2022 20:55

As Keith said, Bill's best attribute was timing. Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle was the coronation tour. They seemed old then. But they still had it, all of it, on certain nights. They created a good comeback album after the desultory UnderDirtyWork period. There was a seven-year buildup of demand to see them. A stage that blew everyone away. And money like they'd never seen.

I remember them doing Midnight Rambler in '89. It was like the five of them clicked together and created a golden ring, this thing bigger than the individuals.

Bill was rich. Not as rich as the others would become, but quite rich enough. He'd played the warhorses more than enough to suit him. (They were being called warhorses, and worn out, by the late 70s.) He helped create them, but got no writing credit other than the early Nanker-Phelge songs. He simply wasn't invested in the group like the others. Charlie didn't know what to do with himself. Eventually he did pull together some jazz albums/shows for the love of it.

Bill had interests other than the Stones. And he wasn't b.s.ing. He followed through with books, metal detecting, and an occasional foray with some friends to make music. And of course he finally had a stable marriage with three lovely daughters. Maybe Bill sensed the end of the artistic Stones. They were never the same in that regard after 1990. Or maybe it was just impeccable timing.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home