Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Guitar solo in Blinded by Rainbows
Posted by: bobo ()
Date: June 30, 2022 17:46

VoodooLounge13
Too many songs on Voodoo??? Do we rail about how many songs are on the fabled Exile!?!? Back in the day we woulda welcomed 100 songs from our boys. Now everything is too bloated or too long or not enough quality songs.

For Voodoo, it’s an absolute masterpiece. The crown jewel of their cannon written by a group of men still with something to prove to the world - that they were still the baddest mofo’s in rock and still were the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The guitars are menacing on the entire album. The drums have never sounded more primal. And the bass never beat so good.

Yes, You Got Me Rocking indeed. Thru and Thru.

Absolutely agree. But you know....always the same guys saying the same old things about that issue. But it's a good laugh thou.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-30 17:47 by bobo.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2022 22:49

skytrench
24FPS
My god Bill's timing was impeccable, just not on bass, but knowing when to leave.

Well, with leaving in mind, he left 10 years too late. Nothing vital for him after 1982.

I guess you've never heard 1986's Harlem Shuffle. He IS Harlem Shuffle. And he does some fine work on Steel Wheels. Plus he picked up enough millions on the Steel/Urban Jungle Tour to give him freedom once and for all. So he's only worth appx. Eighty Million. I think I could skint by on that.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 30, 2022 22:52

VoodooLounge13
Too many songs on Voodoo??? Do we rail about how many songs are on the fabled Exile!?!? Back in the day we woulda welcomed 100 songs from our boys. Now everything is too bloated or too long or not enough quality songs.

Exile was cram packed with quality, not quantity, like Voodoo was. And yes, the bass was pretty good. Darryl seemed to be following the Stones sound. Then he wandered off the reservation and noodles around while the rest of the band plays on.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 1, 2022 00:07

24FPS
skytrench
24FPS
My god Bill's timing was impeccable, just not on bass, but knowing when to leave.

Well, with leaving in mind, he left 10 years too late. Nothing vital for him after 1982.

I guess you've never heard 1986's Harlem Shuffle. He IS Harlem Shuffle. And he does some fine work on Steel Wheels. Plus he picked up enough millions on the Steel/Urban Jungle Tour to give him freedom once and for all. So he's only worth appx. Eighty Million. I think I could skint by on that.

Yes, Bill did well enough during that additional decade, I wish he never retired, but if he was unhappy flying around so much, guess he had to.

Date: July 1, 2022 04:19

24FPS
VoodooLounge13

Exile was cram packed with quality, not quantity, like Voodoo was. And yes, the bass was pretty good. Darryl seemed to be following the Stones sound. Then he wandered off the reservation and noodles around while the rest of the band plays on.

Yea, IAW you 24FPS; on the song and the whole album. Everything about the song was predictable.
Still is frustrating to me to see the released album, versus what was in the works.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 1, 2022 07:03

24FPS
VoodooLounge13

That's a fantastic Mick Taylor description!

Date: July 1, 2022 07:07

24FPS
GasLightStreet
24FPS
Terrible, throw away song. Too many on the album. The drums are badly recorded too.

The drums on VOODOO were recorded fantastically.

Ronnie's solo is excellent.

The song? They've got many much worse.

So, it's in the Undercover/Dirty Work drawer? There's too many songs on Voodoo, some especially bad ones. My god Bill's timing was impeccable, just not on bass, but knowing when to leave.

I won't argue about what all is on VL quality vs quantity wise.

In regard to the poor songwriting drawer I don't include UNDERCOVER in that - it's 1986 onward, with a few in 1997 and 2002 to truly round it out.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 1, 2022 09:27

How I know the Stones will never make another good album-

“ we’re working with Don Was on a few new tracks”

I own the entire Voodoo outtakes series and I’m sure I could pick a random member of IORR and they could make a better album out of it than that unedited sprawling mess.
The songs ok but that lead… he just stops all of a sudden. And that’s the one they used? Not let’s do another take? omfg

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2022 11:30

VoodooLounge13

For Voodoo, it’s an absolute masterpiece. The crown jewel of their cannon written by a group of men still with something to prove to the world - that they were still the baddest mofo’s in rock and still were the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The guitars are menacing on the entire album. The drums have never sounded more primal. And the bass never beat so good.

Great you like it so much. From the first listen I never ever liked this album, to the extent that it is my least favorite Stones album. I like Sparks Will Fly and New faces a bit, Mean Disposition is a nice B-side rocker, and that's just really it, unfortunately.

Mathijs

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 1, 2022 15:49

Hey I get we all have different tastes and what not, and that to many the band ceased to function in 1972, or at best 1981....But to me, I grew up on SW and VL, so I guess I have a completely different appreciation for their latter day work than a lot. For me, Voodoo is the last time they put the Rock in Roll. And I should say that I've never heard Voodoo Brew, Stew, or any of the other outtakes. There is a GORGEOUS vinyl boot set that I'd love to get that has a lot of those outtakes. It's in the $100's now though.

Date: July 2, 2022 00:10

VoodooLounge13
Hey I get we all have different tastes and what not, and that to many the band ceased to function in 1972, or at best 1981....But to me, I grew up on SW and VL, so I guess I have a completely different appreciation for their latter day work than a lot. For me, Voodoo is the last time they put the Rock in Roll. And I should say that I've never heard Voodoo Brew, Stew, or any of the other outtakes. There is a GORGEOUS vinyl boot set that I'd love to get that has a lot of those outtakes. It's in the $100's now though.

VL13, I respect very much your love for the VL album. I personally have it at the very bottom of their entire catalogue. IMO the culprit is Don Was, and by extension Jagger listening to that fool.
You can easily experience all the Voodoo outtakes from Brew and Stew and Residue on Youtube. A journey a Voodoo fan must take.
It shows that the album was on its way to become a true Stones album. For one reason or another they f8cked it all up.

Date: July 2, 2022 03:09

Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13

VL13, I respect very much your love for the VL album. I personally have it at the very bottom of their entire catalogue. IMO the culprit is Don Was, and by extension Jagger listening to that fool.
You can easily experience all the Voodoo outtakes from Brew and Stew and Residue on Youtube. A journey a Voodoo fan must take.
It shows that the album was on its way to become a true Stones album. For one reason or another they f8cked it all up.

I will check it out Palace. Always wanted to hear Keef sing Love Is Strong. Again personal taste is everything. I’d put Emotional Rescue at the absolute bottom followed closely by Undercover then IORR and then Satanic. Though maybe B&L bumps Satanic for the 4th worst spot. Depends on my mood. TSMR is better than most give it credit for.

Date: July 2, 2022 03:58

VoodooLounge13
Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13

I will check it out Palace. Always wanted to hear Keef sing Love Is Strong. Again personal taste is everything. I’d put Emotional Rescue at the absolute bottom followed closely by Undercover then IORR and then Satanic. Though maybe B&L bumps Satanic for the 4th worst spot. Depends on my mood. TSMR is better than most give it credit for.

Slightly different topic now, but IMO it is always very interesting to hear Keith and Mick sing lead over the same backing track. LIS is a good example. Somehow Keith will make it swing more.
Re 'Undercover', I think one of the reasons so many Stoners hold it in pretty high regard, is because it is the last time the Stones did an album, in their traditional/non-traditional way.

Edit - just curious VL: do you get into their very early albums? 'Hitmakers', Out of our Heads' etc?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-02 03:59 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: July 2, 2022 06:45

Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13
Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13

Slightly different topic now, but IMO it is always very interesting to hear Keith and Mick sing lead over the same backing track. LIS is a good example. Somehow Keith will make it swing more.
Re 'Undercover', I think one of the reasons so many Stoners hold it in pretty high regard, is because it is the last time the Stones did an album, in their traditional/non-traditional way.

Edit - just curious VL: do you get into their very early albums? 'Hitmakers', Out of our Heads' etc?

I admit Palace I don’t often go back to their early early stuff - album wise - because they’re mostly all covers. And I started out with The London Years and SW so I knew all the big songs as singles only and not within the context of albums. During work hours the last 2 days I’ve been listening to the In Mono box on YT and it’s been great to listen to all those songs again. Usually I don’t really go further back than say Aftermath US.

Date: July 2, 2022 06:59

VoodooLounge13

A lot of it is on YouTube. Follow the wormhole.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 2, 2022 10:56

VoodooLounge13

It's not so much that I do not appreciate their later work -I grew up with Steel Wheels so I still have appreciation for that album. I love Bridges, I think that is a truly great album, I think A Bigger Bang is very much underrated. But VL just doesn't work for me on any level.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2022 18:11

Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

It's not so much that I do not appreciate their later work -I grew up with Steel Wheels so I still have appreciation for that album. I love Bridges, I think that is a truly great album, I think A Bigger Bang is very much underrated. But VL just doesn't work for me on any level.

Mathijs

If I had to rank the latter day ones, I'd go...

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

the thing about SW that really makes it sound dated is the production I guess? Whatever produces that tinny sound, which I guess is either production or the mix, right? Sometimes it really drives me nuts. The drums often sound empty and echo, the guitars tinny as I'd said. Contrasted with VL where the drums will friggin alter your heartbeat if turned up loud enough!!! LOL

Date: July 2, 2022 21:56

VoodooLounge13
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

the thing about SW that really makes it sound dated is the production I guess? Whatever produces that tinny sound, which I guess is either production or the mix, right? Sometimes it really drives me nuts. The drums often sound empty and echo, the guitars tinny as I'd said. Contrasted with VL where the drums will friggin alter your heartbeat if turned up loud enough!!! LOL

It always surprises me that the merits of Bridges to Babylon are even worthy of a discussion. IMO it is one of their great albums. A no brainer, that it is the best of the post '89 albums. just my opinion.
They took it on the road; they played the sh*t out of those songs. That to me is the real telling point.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 2, 2022 22:01

VoodooLounge13

Ima guess you like this album. I remember how exciting it was to FINALLY get a new one after 5 years, and the first one without Bill to boot. Thought the lead single was excellent.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: July 2, 2022 22:09

Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

It always surprises me that the merits of Bridges to Babylon are even worthy of a discussion. IMO it is one of their great albums. A no brainer, that it is the best of the post '89 albums. just my opinion.
They took it on the road; they played the sh*t out of those songs. That to me is the real telling point.

Interesting thread. I think all of the albums from 89 onwards have great moments. Steel Wheels has some solid songs (Mixed Emotions and Slipping Away)…..but it suffers a bit from 80s production…..Voodoo Lounge has some awesome songs (Love is Strong, YGMR, Baby Break It Down) and it sounds great but it’s a bit too long. BTB is a much more innovative and challenging set of songs and so it has probably aged the best. I still love A Bigger Bang too but it’s a bit long and it probably doesn’t push the boundaries as much as BTB.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 2, 2022 22:43

Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

Ilove Bridges also. Great ballads on Voo Doo and some good songs on Steel Wheels. A Bigger Bang IMO is their 2nd worst album behind Dirty Work.

Date: July 2, 2022 22:49

Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

It is a Great album, Bridges, but as much as I despise Angie, Shattered, and Beast of Burden, I will generally play thru them, or at least let them play thru I should say. Bridges has the ONLY song in their entire catalog that I genuinely skip 99% of the time - MAWGJ. An absolute ridiculously sh!tty track. Another that Keef should have put his foot down on. Anyway You Look At It would have been a better fit IMHO. I do agree that it is fresh, different, and daring. It's definitely their last great album. I play it a lot still. It's the newer kid brother to Some Girls, though IMO a far superior album.

Date: July 2, 2022 23:03

Taylor1
Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

Ilove Bridges also. Great ballads on Voo Doo and some good songs on Steel Wheels. A Bigger Bang IMO is their 2nd worst album behind Dirty Work.

Now see, for me, I actually think this is the one area where VL suffers. Out Of Tears is probably the weakest track on the album in my opinion. But then I look at it like this - SW had Almost Hear You Sigh, an absolute gem of a song. Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure classic Stones. It could be Ruby Tuesday's cousin. And then you follow it up with Out Of Tears? Kind of a letdown. What was worse was then along came BTB, and it has both Always Suffering and Already Over Me, both of which are also superior to Out Of Tears. So for me, Out Of Tears just doesn't quite hit the right chords when taken in context with what book-ended it.

As far as ABB goes, I agree, it's probably a tad too long. I remember just being so excited to finally have a new album by them that I listened to it NONSTOP 24/7 for literally 6 months straight. Rough Justice is again classic Stones to me. And it's dirty lyrics..........man I was Stoked the first time I heard it on the radio!! The boys were BACK!!! It sounded like something off of Exile, but modernized. Driving Too Fast is an overlooked rocker that showed they could still rock as hard as ever. Lay Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Infamy, This Place Is Empty, Back Of My Hand, and even the adventurous Rain Fall Down are all solid tracks.

Date: July 2, 2022 23:12

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

Ima guess you like this album. I remember how exciting it was to FINALLY get a new one after 5 years, and the first one without Bill to boot. Thought the lead single was excellent.

I was 18 when Voodoo came out. The summer after high school graduation, and I was gonna light the world on fire. My GF at the time was my first partner, so you know what sort of rabbits we were. LMFAOOOOOOO Throw in this sex-drenched album that just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks of strip clubs, soiled sheets, and cheap perfume and really is it any wonder that this album holds such a special place for me?!?! It described perfectly alllllllllllllllll that I was experiencing that summer. I can't tell you how many times I listed to Sparks Will Fly on the way to pick up said ex-GF. That summer before college, with the world an open road before me was one I'd relive 100 times over if I could. And I still love the video for Love Is Strong.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 2, 2022 23:41

Voodoo ... is one of my favorite albums and Blinded by Rainbows has great lyrics and a great melody ... yes, I've always loved the feeling that Wood's solo gives off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-02 23:42 by Testify.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 3, 2022 03:19

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13

I was 18 when Voodoo came out. The summer after high school graduation, and I was gonna light the world on fire. My GF at the time was my first partner, so you know what sort of rabbits we were. LMFAOOOOOOO Throw in this sex-drenched album that just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks of strip clubs, soiled sheets, and cheap perfume and really is it any wonder that this album holds such a special place for me?!?! It described perfectly alllllllllllllllll that I was experiencing that summer. I can't tell you how many times I listed to Sparks Will Fly on the way to pick up said ex-GF. That summer before college, with the world an open road before me was one I'd relive 100 times over if I could. And I still love the video for Love Is Strong.

Ha, I have similar experiences 5 years earlier with Steel Wheels.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 3, 2022 06:51

Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Great you like it so much. From the first listen I never ever liked this album, to the extent that it is my least favorite Stones album. I like Sparks Will Fly and New faces a bit, Mean Disposition is a nice B-side rocker, and that's just really it, unfortunately.

Mathijs

Isn’t Love is Strong on this album? Stones cold Stones classic.

Rod

Date: July 3, 2022 15:27

bitusa2012
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Isn’t Love is Strong on this album? Stones cold Stones classic.

Yes it is. It’s the opening song, and I agree wholeheartedly!!!

Date: July 3, 2022 17:42

VoodooLounge13
Taylor1
Palace Revolution 2000
VoodooLounge13
Mathijs
VoodooLounge13

Mathijs

Voodoo Lounge
Bridges
Steel Wheels
A Bigger Bang

Now see, for me, I actually think this is the one area where VL suffers. Out Of Tears is probably the weakest track on the album in my opinion. But then I look at it like this - SW had Almost Hear You Sigh, an absolute gem of a song. Puuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure classic Stones. It could be Ruby Tuesday's cousin. And then you follow it up with Out Of Tears? Kind of a letdown. What was worse was then along came BTB, and it has both Always Suffering and Already Over Me, both of which are also superior to Out Of Tears. So for me, Out Of Tears just doesn't quite hit the right chords when taken in context with what book-ended it.

As far as ABB goes, I agree, it's probably a tad too long. I remember just being so excited to finally have a new album by them that I listened to it NONSTOP 24/7 for literally 6 months straight. Rough Justice is again classic Stones to me. And it's dirty lyrics..........man I was Stoked the first time I heard it on the radio!! The boys were BACK!!! It sounded like something off of Exile, but modernized. Driving Too Fast is an overlooked rocker that showed they could still rock as hard as ever. Lay Me Down Slow, It Won't Take Long, Infamy, This Place Is Empty, Back Of My Hand, and even the adventurous Rain Fall Down are all solid tracks.

This is a good thread. very cool talking w/ you VL. I think Im able to get a feel for some of your dislikes. You don't seen like a ballad type haha..\
I agree that the ballads on VL are not that good. "Out of Tears" could have been great. I remember exactly the first time I heard it, and I kept thinking, "Ok now it will take off". Kept waiting for Jagger to lean into it, or for the strings to take off. 'Sweethearts" on the demos is very good. On the album it ends up like a Jimmy Buffet yacht thing.
I think "Love is Strong", "Baby Break it Down" and "Worst" are the best songs.
So, no love for 'Juiced"? There are some other versions on the Net. Seems that Jagger and the Dust Bros had all kinds of various notions on the song. I do think it deserves points for trying to get outside of the Stones Box.
The thing about 'Bigger Bang' for me, is that it sounds like a rush job. A veteran such as Jagger will have a major amount of song writing skills under his belt. Most anything he puts together will end up sounding decent enough. But not always inspired. I don't think the album ever really transcends. In a way, the "best" track, 'Laugh I Nearly Died" is my least favorite. It is Jagger by numbers.
I'd be curious to hear what you think of Brew, Stew and Residue.

Date: July 4, 2022 06:09

VoodooLounge13

There are too many songs on VOODOO just as there are too many songs on EXILE.

Is VOODOO a masterpiece? No. It's troubled with sounding like the past. It wasn't until BRIDGES that Don Was figured out what he was actually dealing with but it didn't last - BANG is just a SOME GIRLS wannabe.

VOODOO is the sound of the Stones on autopilot. The new awareness prior to 1989 in regard to how much could fit on a CD for an LP is what weakens the effort. But they didn't realize that then.

We went through a whole thing: Let's make 11, 12 tracks, the normal length of an album. When we did that, there was always a great moan from somebody, You can't take that off. So it went back to 15. Well, why not? We haven't put a new record out since '89. It's five years, for Chrissake. So there's 15 on there and everybody's happy.

- Keith Richards, 1994

[timeisonourside.com]

They should've stuck to quality instead of quantity.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2507
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home