Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Guitar solo in Blinded by Rainbows
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 4, 2022 07:12

If you were to ask any non-diehard commoner what their favorite song from Voodoo Lounge is, you'd be met with blank stares. Or to name any song from VL for that matter.
Same goes for Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges, and A Bigger Bang. I happen to like at least two or three tunes from all of these latter era albums, and in some cases four tunes,
but the fact is nobody else in the real world gives a shit about them. Their loss I suppose........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 07:13 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 4, 2022 07:38

Hairball
If you were to ask any non-diehard commoner what their favorite song from Voodoo Lounge is, you'd be met with blank stares. Or to name any song from VL for that matter.
Same goes for Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Bridges, and A Bigger Bang. I happen to like at least two or three tunes from all of these latter era albums, and in some cases four tunes,
but the fact is nobody else in the real world gives a shit about them. Their loss I suppose........

If you asked some non-diehard commoner what their favourite song was from virtually ANY album, you'd be met with a stare, unless the album's name shared a track from the album that was a single, like say, Emotional Rescue or It's Only Rock and Roll.

Ask a non-diehard what their favourite Exile track is, or Beggar's Banquet?

Stare and silence.

Date: July 4, 2022 07:50

treaclefingers
Hairball

If you asked some non-diehard commoner what their favourite song was from virtually ANY album, you'd be met with a stare, unless the album's name shared a track from the album that was a single, like say, Emotional Rescue or It's Only Rock and Roll.

Stare and silence.

Well I imagine they could at least give a wild guess with those earlier albums.
But naming a favorite tune from the latter era? Or any tune at all? None of those albums and tunes have the same popularity or familiarity as the earlier albums and tunes.
There's even diehards that would give you a blank stare if asked to name a favorite from the latter era albums....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 07:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 4, 2022 08:54

Lavatory Lil .... aint it funny
how some crap hangs in ones mind ..... HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 4, 2022 11:25

Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

But naming a favorite tune from the latter era? Or any tune at all? None of those albums and tunes have the same popularity or familiarity as the earlier albums and tunes.
There's even diehards that would give you a blank stare if asked to name a favorite from the latter era albums....

Undercover of the Night is mentioned quite often in best/favorite song lists. It was quite a big MTV hit and many musicians now in their forties still name this song.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 13:25

Mathijs
Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

Undercover of the Night is mentioned quite often in best/favorite song lists. It was quite a big MTV hit and many musicians now in their forties still name this song.

Mathijs
You could say the same thing about Elton John,Dylan, McCartney, U2, Springsteen Stevie Wonderand other super acts.I don’t know one song from Springsteen’slast 20 years of albums. Even U2.Nothing since City of Blinding Lights.Dylan released anything in 40 years the average fan knows like Mr Tambourine Man.When was McCartney’sor Elton’s last number one hit.Rod Stewart? Surviving members of The Who or Led? Personally I love Bridges, think there are a someexcellent songs on Voodoo and Steel Wheelsand even a couple on Undercover.

Date: July 4, 2022 14:48

<Lights.Dylan released anything in 40 years the average fan knows like Mr Tambourine Man>

Make You Feel My Love

Date: July 4, 2022 16:11

Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

Come on...you know that's not true. Some diehards may not like certain or all of the latter day stuff, but they know at least some songs on it.

And like has been opined in a few earlier posts Dylan, Springsteen, U2, Macca...name a classic-era band that the average music listener would be able to name cuts off their most recent albums.

The point is, who cares? It's giving joy to the people that are buying and listening.

Date: July 4, 2022 16:25

treaclefingers
Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

Come on...you know that's not true. Some diehards may not like certain or all of the latter day stuff, but they know at least some songs on it.

And like has been opined in a few earlier posts Dylan, Springsteen, U2, Macca...name a classic-era band that the average music listener would be able to name cuts off their most recent albums.

The point is, who cares? It's giving joy to the people that are buying and listening.

I agree. I do think the diehards would know songs from any album. That's because they are diehards.
And it also might be an age thing. Most Stones freaks are a little bit older than someone born in late 90's or more recent. And the whole "album" deal, is from the past. It is way more about single songs, videos, live clips from a version from Glastonbury.
I have friends who are into Manneskin, or even Black Midi - big fans; but couldn't name one album title.

Date: July 4, 2022 18:27

Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

I agree. I do think the diehards would know songs from any album. That's because they are diehards.
And it also might be an age thing. Most Stones freaks are a little bit older than someone born in late 90's or more recent. And the whole "album" deal, is from the past. It is way more about single songs, videos, live clips from a version from Glastonbury.
I have friends who are into Manneskin, or even Black Midi - big fans; but couldn't name one album title.

That's a VERY funny typo grinning smiley

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 19:37

Voodoo Lounge won the Grammy award for best rock album in1995, whatever that’s worth

Date: July 4, 2022 20:16

Taylor1
Voodoo Lounge won the Grammy award for best rock album in1995, whatever that’s worth

Not much I'm afraid. I think they're trying to 'make up' for the ills of the past.

Where were they for the big 4, Some Girls or Tattoo You? Grammy's as always were a little late to the party.

Date: July 4, 2022 22:50

Taylor1

And there's Bob Dylan who you mentioned in a previous post - he's won many Grammy Awards throughout his career (10 in total), and some fairly recently, not to mention his numerous nominations.
Time Out of Mind for example won three Grammys including Album Of The Year in 1997.

And then there's the Academy Award he won, along with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the Nobel Prize, a Golden Globe Award, and on and on....

But as to your original point:

Taylor1
You could say the same thing about Elton John,Dylan, McCartney, U2, Springsteen Stevie Wonderand other super acts.I don’t know one song from Springsteen’slast 20 years of albums. Even U2.Nothing since City of Blinding Lights. Dylan released anything in 40 years the average fan knows like Mr Tambourine Man.When was McCartney’sor Elton’s last number one hit.Rod Stewart? Surviving members of The Who or Led?

I agree, yes you could say the same thing- but the discussion was regarding the Stones latter day output (not every other band), and that's what my post was referring to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-04 22:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 5, 2022 02:32

treaclefingers
Taylor1

Not much I'm afraid. I think they're trying to 'make up' for the ills of the past.

Where were they for the big 4, Some Girls or Tattoo You? Grammy's as always were a little late to the party.

There was no rock category until 1980. The Stones would have fallen into the 'pop' category prior to that.

Its kind of funny to see that for the tumultuous year of 1968 for example, which gave the music world timeless releases from the Stones, the Beatles, Hendrix, The Band and lots of others that the best 'pop' grammies were going to Dionne Warwick, Simon & Garfunkel and Jose Feliciano.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-05 02:39 by Gazza.

Date: July 5, 2022 03:14

DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

Well,we haven't invented that crazy o on top of the a, like you Oslo boys do.

Date: July 5, 2022 07:57

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
Palace Revolution 2000
treaclefingers
Hairball
treaclefingers
Hairball

Stare and silence.

Well,we haven't invented that crazy o on top of the a, like you Oslo boys do.

I was thinking about the double 'n' smiling smiley

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 11, 2022 18:35

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Hey I get we all have different tastes and what not, and that to many the band ceased to function in 1972, or at best 1981....But to me, I grew up on SW and VL, so I guess I have a completely different appreciation for their latter day work than a lot. For me, Voodoo is the last time they put the Rock in Roll. And I should say that I've never heard Voodoo Brew, Stew, or any of the other outtakes. There is a GORGEOUS vinyl boot set that I'd love to get that has a lot of those outtakes. It's in the $100's now though.

A lot of it is on YouTube. Follow the wormhole.

OK I just listened to this particular upload. It is interesting to hear the different versions of these songs. I love that final song - the Track with No Name. Great jam. The songs sound much more eclectic in this mix vs. a full on rock album, and dare I say, with the muffled sound, there is an EOMS air to this, and also a blend of Crosseyed Heart. Definitely more diverse than a straight on RNR album. I think I still prefer the finished product, but I'll seek out the 2 other discs as well. Thanks GSL.

Date: July 11, 2022 21:07

Voodoo, here is another link. I think GasLight sent you the 'Keith' Voodoo (rightfully so). There were many great songs that never made it past the Don was cut.
[youtu.be].
[youtu.be]

Here are many of thes4 songs. "Middle of the Sea", "Honest Man, 'Make it Now", "You Got it Made", 'Zip Mouth Angel'. Check it out.

Date: July 11, 2022 21:26

Will do, thanks Palace. I'm listening to Residue Vol. 1 now, and we got away with Murder reminds me of another one of their songs that I can't place at the moment, and I don't know if it's the Stones or a Keef solo track, but it's driving me nuts. The melody of the refrain is definitely used somewhere else.

Date: July 11, 2022 21:29

The song I'm thinking of is a Stones one, because Mick sings it. The lyrics are something like Don't you know I love you. Don't know I need ya, or something like that. Man, it's driving me NUTS!!!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 11, 2022 22:19

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13
Hey I get we all have different tastes and what not, and that to many the band ceased to function in 1972, or at best 1981....But to me, I grew up on SW and VL, so I guess I have a completely different appreciation for their latter day work than a lot. For me, Voodoo is the last time they put the Rock in Roll. And I should say that I've never heard Voodoo Brew, Stew, or any of the other outtakes. There is a GORGEOUS vinyl boot set that I'd love to get that has a lot of those outtakes. It's in the $100's now though.

A lot of it is on YouTube. Follow the wormhole.

OK I just listened to this particular upload. It is interesting to hear the different versions of these songs. I love that final song - the Track with No Name. Great jam. The songs sound much more eclectic in this mix vs. a full on rock album, and dare I say, with the muffled sound, there is an EOMS air to this, and also a blend of Crosseyed Heart. Definitely more diverse than a straight on RNR album. I think I still prefer the finished product, but I'll seek out the 2 other discs as well. Thanks GSL.

Yeah you rite! There are some great unfinished tunes - It's Funny, Make It Now, You've Got It Made (plus the backing vox overdubbing of Keith and Ronnie - worth the price of the box set!), Ivy League, plus the entirety of Keith's New Faces acoustic overdub session when he goes off and plays blues, Please Please Me and various chatter, and various stages of LP tracks.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1135
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home