Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
AMA: was it the satellite, the Stones or me?
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 23, 2005 15:10

Did anyone else think that thefirst verse of Rain Fall Down last night on the AMA show was pretty bad?? It was my first time hearing it live and I couldnt tell if the Stones screwed it up a bit or if the feed was not great or something else.

Regardless, it was a strange choice for wordlwide(or is it just i the US?) exposure (great idea to do a new one, but a rocker might have captured a few new fans). I fear that some of the fans of that show who are likely younger anmd not Stones fans looked at the way that song was presented and felt why arwe these old guys the headline band of the night?! IORR would have been a much better showcase and it started to be, but the (just as Mick predicted) they got bumped!!

Anyway, i was just wondering what some of you guys thought about it.

By the way, it sucked that before every commercial break they said "coming up the Stones..." and forced me to check in with the show for 3 hours (i had to keep changing the channel as there was no way i could watch the whole thing!)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-23 15:27 by HalfNanker.

Re: was it the satellite, the Stones or me?
Posted by: sladog ()
Date: November 23, 2005 15:13

It was VERY bad. A couple of times you saw Mick mess up then look over to Bernard and Lisa (who were doing it right). Keith looked and sounded great but Mick...in that STUPID tongue coat and then pretending to play guitar and messing up just made for a poor night. I wanted to turn the channel I was so embarresed for him. I was so glad when IORR started and Mick was out there strutting around without a guitar (how he should be).

You are very correct that it was a piss poor song to use for such a large audience.

Re: was it the satellite, the Stones or me?
Posted by: short&curlies ()
Date: November 23, 2005 15:16

I broke my own rule last night by watching another music awards show! And then I had to wait almost 3 hours to be dissapointed by the boys. Question: How does 50 Cent and Will Smith get nominated for an award in the POP/ROCK catagory? What's next....U2 UP FOR HIP/HOP ARTIST OF THE YEAR?????

Re: AMA: was it the satellite, the Stones or me?
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: November 23, 2005 16:04

TOTAL HUMILIATION!!!

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:11

Can you actually download it from anywhere???

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:15

I haven't seen anything. Pictures? Downloads?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:42

Jagger screwed it up - he jumped into the chorus too early and got everyone off-track for the next minute or so. Really surprising, 'cos this song had been nailed the entire west coast swing up until last night. IORR was sailing along nicely until ABC cut it about halfway through - apparently the Stones had used up their allotment of time (took about a minute before they launched into RFD, that didn't help). All in all, it was a pretty bad showing for the boys on national TV...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:47

...Or was it just you American fans sittin on needles
or at broken glass... cool smiley

No, I dont doubt there were f*ck-ups;
and why the hell did they have to play that -
relatively - crappy tune.

Radar, lads, Radar!!!

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:48

Rain Fall Down was NOT GOOD.

Date: November 23, 2005 17:52

Kurt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rain Fall Down was NOT GOOD.
>
>

an understatement...and it was incredibly good in Fresno, so go figure...

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:58

I have to give Mick credit, as the first verse was crumbling around him, he didn't let on, he just kept plowing along trying to save it. Of course to a first time listener that may have resulted in one thinking the song was being played well...and just stinks.

What a shame.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 23, 2005 17:59

Isnt this typically Stones?
...But the PC May 10 was gorgeous, wasnt it?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:27

Keef once said that if the Stones know that a professional live recording is going on, you can be 99% sure that the Stones won't deliver.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:33

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Keef once said that if the Stones know that a
> professional live recording is going on, you can
> be 99% sure that the Stones won't deliver.
>
>
> "Better than suicide"

After all these years apparently they can still get a case of the nerves.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: November 23, 2005 18:42

Yeah. I think so too. It's all perfectly normal though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:00

I think the whole live by satellite thing was a mistake. The feed came in early--they were finishing a song and then Mick seemed unsure if they were on or what. Rain Fall Down was a hilight of the show for me in Frisco but yeah Mick was off--and that jacket was completely stupid and the sound from the feed was crappy too.

Although I thought Rough Justice was good at the NFL thing. All in all though if they can't show up to perform live they should forget the live by satellite bit.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:19

Don't you think a funk song like "Rain Fall Down" would be _better_ for capturing new fans at the AMA than a 70s-style rocker like "ONNYA"? Didn't you see any of the other performers? It was all either R&B/hip-hop or country.

cc

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: November 23, 2005 19:23

The Stones have been searching for that elusive dance floor hit ever since Miss You hit #1 in 1978. It hasn't happened, except for Harlem Shuffle in 85.

Date: November 23, 2005 19:36

it's a very very sad state of affairs in the music industry. music that's billed as "country" isn't; "music" that's billed as R&B ain't even music. painful is not even a strong enough word to describe having to sit through 3 hours of this drivel.

Posted by: poor immigrant ()
Date: November 23, 2005 20:12

This was brutal. These guys don't need to subject themselves to this crap. It isn't gonna help the album or tour one bit.

Posted by: sladog ()
Date: November 23, 2005 21:07

Can even our beloved IORR guru defend this?

Posted by: bigbang ()
Date: November 23, 2005 21:26

I'm glad my family and I missed it... I would have been embarrassed (again) for the Stones, I guess.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: November 23, 2005 21:53

It wasn't so much screwing up the song, it was that the sound quality on the feed was absolutely terrible! I kept waiting for someone to 'push the plug in the rest of the way', but it never happened. Too bad, but then again, I think the AMA audience is mainly the 50-Cent crowd.

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: November 23, 2005 22:38

HalfNanker Wrote:
> Did anyone else think that thefirst verse of Rain
> Fall Down last night on the AMA show was pretty
> bad?? It was my first time hearing it live and I
> couldnt tell if the Stones screwed it up a bit or
> if the feed was not great or something else.
>
> Regardless, it was a strange choice for
> wordlwide(or is it just i the US?) exposure (great
> idea to do a new one, but a rocker might have
> captured a few new fans). I fear that some of the
> fans of that show who are likely younger anmd not
> Stones fans looked at the way that song was
> presented and felt why arwe these old guys the
> headline band of the night?! IORR would have been
> a much better showcase and it started to be, but
> the (just as Mick predicted) they got bumped!!
>
> Anyway, i was just wondering what some of you guys
> thought about it.
>
>
> By the way, it sucked that before every commercial
> break they said "coming up the Stones..." and
> forced me to check in with the show for 3 hours (i
> had to keep changing the channel as there was no
> way i could watch the whole thing!)
>
>
>
> Edited 3 times. Last edit at 11/23/05 15:27 by
> HalfNanker.

I couldn't watch the whole thing either (AMA AWARDS)....I know I am OLD, but was some of that stuff MUSIC???

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: November 23, 2005 23:35

I think the AMA tend to have a more urban feel - that would explain the use of RFD. I am guessing they got that time as part of the whole football deal.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 23, 2005 23:49

T&A true, true, too true. I missed the Stones AGAIN (also the NFL thing) - & I'd watched 2 hours of dreary pompous showbiz crap, then fallen asleep. And twice the RS screwed up in front of a big TV audience (sometimes these things boost sales) - it's strange, they do well on the PPV shows, but then that's their (paying) audience, albeit in front of the TV. Are they feeling that alienated from mainstream culture/pop world? And too bad again as a really hot version(s) might be good word-of-mouth, xmas sales spike, etc.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: November 24, 2005 00:26

Rockingfan & Reptile,

You really don't want to see any video downloads. If you're big Stones' fans, it would just be painful like listening to Hot Stuff or something.

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: November 24, 2005 00:29

John R....don't want to quote your whole post, but "dreary pompous showbiz crap" pretty much defines how I feel as well. I looked forward all day and had to click around so as not to see too many damn cowboy hats, skinny girls sucking on a microphone, jumping around as if, as if, well I am not sure what it reminded me of, but proabably can't say it here.
I did think Cindy Lauper and Sara McLauglin sounded ok.
And to agree with others..the Super Bowl...gimme a break They are above it...I do not get it.

Date: November 24, 2005 00:35

There's nothing the Stones could do to impress 'that whole 50-cent crowd'. They have their minds made up about the Stones, I'm sure. To be purely stereotypical, hip hop artists tend to shun electric blues guitar based music as that 'faggot-ass white boy shit'. I doubt that any of them have ever even heard of Muddy Waters, and Chuck Berry? Just some old fifties dude. All the Stones could do in front of that crowd is embarrass themselves and us.

Just another crowd of idiots who simply... don't get it.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 24, 2005 00:40

T&A wrote:

It's a very very sad state of affairs in the music industry. music that's billed as "country" isn't; "music" that's billed as R&B ain't even music.

So sad, but so true my friend. Sad, sad, sad! What can we do as a person or a group to cahnge this? I'm open for suggestions. The blues based r'n'r we know and love is headed to the same obscure place (also sadly) that blues occupies.
To quote Pete Townshend - "Rock is dead, Long live rock"!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home