Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617
Current Page: 17 of 17
Re: Liverpool UK 09-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Starr ()
Date: June 12, 2022 13:09

Patsy and myself had a fantastic night in Liverpool and we met some great people, including a lovely couple next to us in L6 VIP section, Bruce & Emma.. here is a photo of them in the foyer after the concert..

Star

Date: June 12, 2022 13:16

Star

Posted by: richie26188 ()
Date: June 12, 2022 13:58

A few cool pics of Steve on the Magical Mystery Tour the day after Anfield

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 12, 2022 14:53

HonkyTonkJan
Fair play. That's your honest opinion.
Can I suggest you do something else with your spare time?
You clearly don't really enjoy The Stones anymore so good luck in finding a hobby that brings you more pleasure.....

Thank you very much for your comment and response.

Actually I DO enjoy seeing The Stones. And the concert did not lack enjoyment at all. However there is a difference between an enjoyable concert and a five star concert. One is a decent, good humoured event. The other is something way above and beyond mere fun. And it certainly was not that.

I enjoy many things that are not five star events. Most of the movies I see - either at the cinema or on TV - are not five star movies. But they are perfectly satisfactory. Most of the football matches I watch are not five star quality either. But again they are perfectly decent ways to spend a couple of hours of my life.

Unfortunately we seem to now live in a world where there is no middle ground. If something is not superlative it is deemed to be rubbish. In the week a friend of mine who is also a Stones fan tried to dissuade me from buying the El Mocambo album because he said 'a couple of the tracks are pretty weak'. Well for me, it is a very decent album indeed. Of course it is not perfect- its a live album for pity's sake - and it is a long way from Exile, Let It Bleed or Some Girls. But I'm very glad I have it. Just like I'm perfectly happy with what happened at the Anfield concert.

But earth-shatteringly brilliant it was not.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 12, 2022 15:23

GerardHennessy
HonkyTonkJan
You clearly don't really enjoy The Stones anymore so good luck in finding a hobby that brings you more pleasure.....

Actually I DO enjoy seeing The Stones. And the concert did not lack enjoyment at all. However there is a difference between an enjoyable concert and a five star concert. One is a decent, good humoured event. The other is something way above and beyond mere fun. And it certainly was not that.

I enjoy many things that are not five star events. Most of the movies I see - either at the cinema or on TV - are not five star movies. But they are perfectly satisfactory. Most of the football matches I watch are not five star quality either. But again they are perfectly decent ways to spend a couple of hours of my life.

Unfortunately we seem to now live in a world where there is no middle ground. If something is not superlative it is deemed to be rubbish. In the week a friend of mine who is also a Stones fan tried to dissuade me from buying the El Mocambo album because he said 'a couple of the tracks are pretty weak'. Well for me, it is a very decent album indeed. Of course it is not perfect- its a live album for pity's sake - and it is a long way from Exile, Let It Bleed or Some Girls. But I'm very glad I have it. Just like I'm perfectly happy with what happened at the Anfield concert.

I mostly agree with you here. I greatly enjoyed the show on Thursday. The fact that it was at Anfield had special significance for me and it was also the first post pandemic large scale gig I have been to, both of which added to the considerable pleasure of seeing the Stones looking and sounding good to very good, hearing a couple of numbers live for the first time and just seeing much loved principals still doing it after all these years. No Charlie and some very intrusive drunks in the Pit lessened the experience. But overall, I was surprised to read how superlative the music reviews were. The way I read it is that the Stones now pretty much operate in a class of their own, more as cultural and, in Mick's case, physical phenomena, than mere musicians. Were they objectively, removed from the surrounding hype, earth shatteringly brilliant? - probably not, but for their ages and after all that's gone on, they probably are. Above all most of the music, the compositions, have aged incredibly well.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 12, 2022 16:13

Ten years ago. They came back with a "hit you inte face" version...[www.youtube.com] I miss Charlie.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: June 12, 2022 16:23

GerardHennessy
HonkyTonkJan

thanks Gerard. I could not agree more with the either superlative or rubbish that seems to be the spirit of our times. either you ADORE or HATE something or someone these days

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: June 12, 2022 16:33

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-12 16:33 by EasterMan.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 12, 2022 18:22

Hello,

I pretty much agree with how Gerard put it- it was a hugely entertaining show!
A lot of folk on IORR have seen the band way more times than I have, so feel free to tell me that I'm spouting nonsense here...

It seems like Mick has relaxed a deal, what with the Insta pop-up photos in each city. I don't recall him being as talkative as he was at Anfield...it really looked like he was both having a blast and savouring it all too...almost as though the crowd's affection for them all affected him. Maybe I'm reading too much into all of course: I'd love to steal 5 minutes of his time and ask him, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 12, 2022 19:05

SimonN
Hello,

A lot of folk on IORR have seen the band way more times than I have, so feel free to tell me that I'm spouting nonsense here...

It seems like Mick has relaxed a deal, what with the Insta pop-up photos in each city. I don't recall him being as talkative as he was at Anfield...it really looked like he was both having a blast and savouring it all too...almost as though the crowd's affection for them all affected him. Maybe I'm reading too much into all of course: I'd love to steal 5 minutes of his time and ask him, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

I had a great time at Anfield Simon. Even in M9 (the furthermost section of the middle tier of the Main Stand, The Crowd around me were engaged and enthused, with much singing and dancing. There was certainly a goof or 3 on stage (as
always) but no-one cared around me. The Stones don’t do perfect and never have.

That’s looking like one of the U sections close to the stage and your photos are of a very similar angle to the ones I got in Chicago 3 years ago. Great shots from that distance btw. Is that where your Lucky Dips put you? When did you pick yours up? I picked up mine just after 5 and at that point dippers were all getting M9. My Lucky Dip partner picked hers up at 630 and got the Kop - Even worse. So we we sold those at a knockdown price to some locals and used my M9s which were 2nd row and came with as much free food as you could eat winking smiley

I’ll be at the IORR show on 24th so might see you there.

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: June 12, 2022 19:31

Bjorn
Ten years ago. They came back with a "hit you inte face" version...[www.youtube.com] I miss Charlie.

Forgotten about this… proper slinging the hash stuff!

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: June 12, 2022 20:23

grzegorz67
SimonN
Hello,

Cheers,

Simon.

I had a great time at Anfield Simon. Even in M9 (the furthermost section of the middle tier of the Main Stand, The Crowd around me were engaged and enthused, with much singing and dancing. There was certainly a goof or 3 on stage (as
always) but no-one cared around me. The Stones don’t do perfect and never have.

That’s looking like one of the U sections close to the stage and your photos are of a very similar angle to the ones I got in Chicago 3 years ago. Great shots from that distance btw. Is that where your Lucky Dips put you? When did you pick yours up? I picked up mine just after 5 and at that point dippers were all getting M9. My Lucky Dip partner picked hers up at 630 and got the Kop - Even worse. So we we sold those at a knockdown price to some locals and used my M9s which were 2nd row and came with as much free food as you could eat winking smiley

I’ll be at the IORR show on 24th so might see you there.

Hi Gregor,

We picked-up our LDs about 5pm or so, after a short stroll from the Hotel TIA where we spent an enjoyable couple of hours.

There was a group of four ahead of us in the queue who drew pit tickets but the couple immediately before us got similar to us. Must say it was a very quick process, so much so that we decided to nip back to TIA for consolation beverage and met a couple of IORRians, Tom and Mister Jimmy.

After admission to the stadium I saw how high-up and far-back we were going to be and asked the Head Steward if there was any way of improving the situation: he told me it was a sell-out and that he had zero latitude. No (tumbling) dice!

I did consider taking a gamble and leaving the stadium and walking around to the ticket office to beg them but reckoned that if there was nothing doing, then I'd be denied readmission, so we stayed put...actually realised that moving to a completely side-on view would allow us to get a much closer view and the sound was great anyway!

Hoping to get down for the IORR band's show...safe travels!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: June 12, 2022 20:29

HonkyTonkJan

No, I think he did enjoy it. A Stones show may not be a five star knockout, but there's always something worth seeing and hearing - and always the possibility that for a few songs (which ones is totally unpredictable) the band will hit that magic groove...

Posted by: jigsaw69 ()
Date: June 13, 2022 11:26

First opportunity to post since the Liverpool gig !!!!!!

Seen The Stones many times and this is up there with the best of them. What a show. You don't get to last 60 years unless you are the very best !!!! From SFM thro to Satisfaction, they were just awesome. Song highlight was "I Wanna Be Your Man" - rocked it as if it was '63 !!

Liverpool crowd were fantastic and well up for it, and this fed back to The Stones, which drove them on even more.

You do audibly notice that its not Charlie, but Steve Jordan does an immense job filling an impossible role.

I am also not blinkered and I can hear it's not 64, 65, 66, 67, 69, 72, 73, 75, 77, 78, 81 etc but it's Stones2022 and they are still making their own history. Not because of their age, but because they are still rockin' (and rollin') !!!!!!!!!!!!

Forget about Mick Jagger's age btw. He is still the best front man and has the crowd in the palm of his hand from start to finish. I don't have the words to describe how good he still is.

Big thanks to The Stones !!!!

Date: June 13, 2022 12:07

jigsaw69 I think you have described the concert perfectly..!

"..till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 13, 2022 19:12

Green Lady
HonkyTonkJan

No, I think he did enjoy it. A Stones show may not be a five star knockout, but there's always something worth seeing and hearing - and always the possibility that for a few songs (which ones is totally unpredictable) the band will hit that magic groove...

You are absolutely correct Ms Green Lady. I did indeed enjoy it ma'am. And your own summary is spot on. I agree every word, and they did indeed hit that magic groove here and there. And as unpredictably as always too !

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617
Current Page: 17 of 17

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home