Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17
Re: Liverpool UK 09-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour live show updates
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: June 10, 2022 10:30

wupperstein

Why they don't play Mother's Little Helper?

Surprise for Hyde Park?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: June 10, 2022 10:31

You’ll Never Walk Alone from the crowd

[twitter.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-10 10:47 by 1962.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:21

People are saying they let people in without tickets, others are saying people got in with free tickets.
This is coming from various comment sections, is that a regular thing these days or are these comments untrue.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:32

You’ll Never Walk Alone from the crowd

[twitter.com]

That was odd. It happened in the gap before the 2 song finale. And even more strangely, the bulk of it came from the Kop, who sing it at every Liverpool home game.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:35

Well well well. After all the excitement, what did we get? In positive terms, the band are playing reasonably well. But lets be blunt here. The fact a bunch of aged veterans can perform AT ALL is noteworthy. Especially considering the frequency of gigs. I'm in my early 70s and I could not do that. In fact I find ATTENDING gigs to be physically demanding, never mind playing. So well done them.

The quality of performance was certainly acceptable. But, again in my own opinion, no more than that. Could we/should we, have expected more? I don't think so.

And what criticisms do I have? Well, despite what others feel, I think the set-list is, with a half-dozen exceptions, as predictable as ever. I'm delighted 19th Nervous Breakdown features. Equally so The Last Time. Out Of Time is a treat. And I Wanna Be Your Man, was a blast. although I think it will feature only rarely, if at all, on upcoming events. Connection, You Got The Silver and Ghost Town bring a further dash of relative freshness, even if Ghost Town is underwhelming - for me!

But, hey! The sun is shining. Sometimes! Covid seems to have left us! Hopefully! And The Stones - or at least the two main men, plus Ronnie - are still standing. Sort of!

Lets be thankful for small mercies. But I honestly cannot see them continuing on for much longer. It has been almost five years since I last saw The Stones. And, like it or not, they have all aged noticeably. Yes, even the seemingly indestructible Mick. And, as for Keith, least said the better...God bless him!

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:53

GerardHennessy
Well well well. After all the excitement, what did we get? In positive terms, the band are playing reasonably well. But lets be blunt here. The fact a bunch of aged veterans can perform AT ALL is noteworthy. Especially considering the frequency of gigs. I'm in my early 70s and I could not do that. In fact I find ATTENDING gigs to be physically demanding, never mind playing. So well done them.

The quality of performance was certainly acceptable. But, again in my own opinion, no more than that. Could we/should we, have expected more? I don't think so.

And what criticisms do I have? Well, despite what others feel, I think the set-list is, with a half-dozen exceptions, as predictable as ever. I'm delighted 19th Nervous Breakdown features. Equally so The Last Time. Out Of Time is a treat. And I Wanna Be Your Man, was a blast. although I think it will feature only rarely, if at all, on upcoming events. Connection, You Got The Silver and Ghost Town bring a further dash of relative freshness, even if Ghost Town is underwhelming - for me!

But, hey! The sun is shining. Sometimes! Covid seems to have left us! Hopefully! And The Stones - or at least the two main men, plus Ronnie - are still standing. Sort of!

Lets be thankful for small mercies. But I honestly cannot see them continuing on for much longer. It has been almost five years since I last saw The Stones. And, like it or not, they have all aged noticeably. Yes, even the seemingly indestructible Mick. And, as for Keith, least said the better...God bless him!

I thought it was a great show. I was in the Golden Circle and there was a really positive vibe in the crowd. There were quite a few young people near me (teenagers and twenty-somethings) who were loving the show and were blown away. Mick was just fantastic - really focussed and really seemed to be enjoying himself. Yes there was a bit of confusion during Street Fighting Man but it wasn’t serious (I have heard bootlegs from the 70s and from 1981/82 with far more serious mistakes), and the intro to Connection was a bit funny - but I can guarantee that 99.9% of people in the audience didn’t notice - and those who did notice, like me, didn’t care because this is LIVE MUSIC played by human beings, not robots or computers (if you want that go see Kraftwerk or watch Madonna miming to her crappy records). I loved the show. And also, I was originally critical of the stage (based purely on photos), but seeing it in real life I think it’s great. I do appreciate though that, from higher in the stands or at the back it might be harder to see than the No Filter stage. People have complained about the smaller side screens, and yes, they are smaller than No Filter but they are about the same size as the Voodoo Lounge and BTB screens and not that much smaller than the Bigger Bang screen.

Posted by: StonesLO ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:56

Last night was my 6th stones show and my first in the Pit. I thought it was incredible. Sure a few bumps in the road on stage but so what? They were brilliant. I must agree with an earlier comment regarding Pit B though;the drunkenness was unbelievable. Each to their own and I'm no stranger to a beer but there were obnoxious drunks all around, a crowd near me did not stop shouting among themselves for the entire show. And there were some ladies around me made to feel most uncomfortable by the drunken advances of complete strangers. For the kind of money I paid, which for me was a real treat; I just didn't get that. That said, it didn't spoil my enjoyment, merely my observations. Overall I loved it. Roll on Hyde Park!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-10 11:58 by StonesLO.

Posted by: Iguanamom ()
Date: June 10, 2022 11:56

richie26188
Scored pit A. it’s defo not lucky dip, women had a smile on her face when she handed them over and envelope wasn’t sealed. Happy days anyway, first time with Pit for LDs!
I scored Pit B with Lucky Dip & definitely feel like the gentleman knew what he was handing me. I brought 2 guests & offered them the Dips. I also had a pair in L7. They made sure wristbands were on before they handed over the tics. My friends put on the LD bands- even though they were in my name. Weird but no problem. I ended up in pit because my friends wife needed seating. Another stellar, lucky event. I’m 4/6 for scoring pit with LD!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 10, 2022 12:01

Hairball
From UCR:

Watch the Rolling Stones Honor the Beatles During Liverpool Show
Corey Irwin

Beatles

The Rolling Stones honored the Beatles during a performance in Liverpool on June 9, delivering a rendition of the Lennon-McCartney penned tune “I Wanna Be Your Man.” The performance marked the Stones first concert in Liverpool in more than 50 years, a fact that was not lost on frontman Mick Jagger. “It’s great to be back in Liverpool after such a long time. Long time, no see,” the singer reportedly told the crowd. Early in the set, Jagger suggested that the band could play a rendition of “You’ll Never Walk Alone,” the anthem of local soccer team Liverpool FC. “But, we decided instead to do a cover of a song written by some other local lads,” the Stones frontman declared, “so we’re doing this especially for you Liverpool, OK?” From there the group launched into “I Wanna Be Your Man,” the classic song penned by John Lennon and Paul McCartney, but originally released by the Rolling Stones. The Beatles songwriting duo famously gave the tune to their counterparts in 1963, with the Stones’ version reaching No. 12 on the U.K. chart. The Beatles’ version would be released three weeks later on U.K. album With the Beatles. According to Setlist.fm, the Rolling Stones last played “I Wanna Be Your Man” during a 2012 concert at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y. See footage from their Liverpool performance below. Earlier in the night, the Stones began their set with a video tribute to drummer Charlie Watts, who died last August. This marked the first U.K. performance for the band since Watts’ death, which Jagger acknowledged to the crowd. “In 1962 we met a drummer called Charlie Watts and this is our first tour in England we’ve done without him so we’d like to dedicate this show to Charlie,” the frontman announced.

Nice version, Mick was a LOT more relaxed than when they trotted it out at the O2 in 2012, there was a lot at stake at the time for their "comeback"...

Mick did say "it was great, we should play it each night" at the end so maybe it will be back...is it me or did he just say "thank u very mouch" with the Liverpool accent just before that ?

What's great about these guys is the interplay, incredibly they've kept it "fresh" after all those years, Mick turns around to figure out when to start singing, then Ronnie gives him a prompt, later he tells Ronnie to take his solo and walks towards Keith and they crack a smile. Amazing !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: June 10, 2022 12:16

rebelhipi
For whats it worth Keith played faultlessly in Madrid.

He did and his voice sounded great on ‘Happy’ and ‘Slip Away Pal’

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 10, 2022 12:16

yeababyyea
Keith totally messed up at 3:18. Hope they will change to a different opening song they can nail every time.

Well when you blank out you blank out, another song won't help, what's weird is that Keith sounds like he's playing "Terrifying" around the 3:28 mark !

Didn't they mess up SFM at pretty much the same place back in 1994 with Keith also blanking out ? It had taken them a lot longer to recover too ! There you go, Giants stadium : [www.youtube.com]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Gram ()
Date: June 10, 2022 12:29

gotdablouse
yeababyyea
Keith totally messed up at 3:18. Hope they will change to a different opening song they can nail every time.

Well when you blank out you blank out, another song won't help, what's weird is that Keith sounds like he's playing "Terrifying" around the 3:28 mark !

Didn't they mess up SFM at pretty much the same place back in 1994 with Keith also blanking out ? It had taken them a lot longer to recover too ! There you go, Giants stadium : [www.youtube.com]

Love that look Keith gives Mick in that 1994 video smiling smiley I don’t mind the occasional mess up - think it adds to the whole experience

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-10 12:30 by Gram.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: June 10, 2022 13:26

john lomax
GerardHennessy

I thought it was a great show. I was in the Golden Circle and there was a really positive vibe in the crowd. There were quite a few young people near me (teenagers and twenty-somethings) who were loving the show and were blown away. Mick was just fantastic - really focussed and really seemed to be enjoying himself. Yes there was a bit of confusion during Street Fighting Man but it wasn’t serious (I have heard bootlegs from the 70s and from 1981/82 with far more serious mistakes), and the intro to Connection was a bit funny - but I can guarantee that 99.9% of people in the audience didn’t notice - and those who did notice, like me, didn’t care because this is LIVE MUSIC played by human beings, not robots or computers (if you want that go see Kraftwerk or watch Madonna miming to her crappy records). I loved the show. And also, I was originally critical of the stage (based purely on photos), but seeing it in real life I think it’s great. I do appreciate though that, from higher in the stands or at the back it might be harder to see than the No Filter stage. People have complained about the smaller side screens, and yes, they are smaller than No Filter but they are about the same size as the Voodoo Lounge and BTB screens and not that much smaller than the Bigger Bang screen.

Totally agree with your point about it being live music. Indeed it is. I have no problem with imperfections, messed-up intros or anything else. In fact all of those kinds of imperfections - which have ALWAYS been part of The Stones - add to the allure. They don't diminish it!

Maybe I've simply seen them too often. And I have too many recollections of the band when it was at the top of the musical Premier League, and winning the Champions League of rock. Now they are a decent mid-table outfit, who can give anyone a run for their money in a one-off cup match, but cannot set my pulse racing as they did in times gone by. I hope we can agree to differ, with respect and affection on both sides of our discussion. We are after all supporting the same team here.

Come on The Stones!

Date: June 10, 2022 13:33

yeababyyea

Oh dear looks like Keith started early this year.confused smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 10, 2022 13:38

If someone were to ask me about the Rolling Stones in 2022 I would tell them they are ageless and indestructible . Seriously that's exactly how they look and sound from the You Tube clips I have seen from the shows so far on this tour . The issue mentioned about Street Fighting Man which I did see and hear the mistake , but the thing is they recover from so fast that it is really not noticeable unless you know the tune inside out and they recovered from it so effortless and without a hair being out of place so fast it's like it never happened in the first place .From what I have seen and heard from the first 3 shows is the Stones are a well oiled and well lubricated machine that really knows how to work and get it done on such a high level of quality and better than others that are half there age . These Guys the Stones aka the Glimmer Twins and Ronnie know what they are doing and more power to them as well . I have to give a begrudging major shout out to Mr. Chuck Leavell who certainly knows what he is doing and really lays cover for the guitar section . Don't get me wrong I am not slagging Keith or Ronnie one bit as I love them , but to make an analogy it's like a Symphony Orchestra and Keith and Ronnie are Principal Section Chairs and Chuck is one of the members in the section who plays his parts and it's a thickly layered sound that is very lush in sound and tone . All of this works because the Stones know what they are doing and are the consummate pros pro . To my eyes it looks like Mick and Keith and Ronnie are still moving around plenty on stage and the ramp and look like they are still getting it done and then some and you know what ? More power to them !

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: June 10, 2022 13:41

I forgot to add that Micks vocals sound fine as always and he certainly knows how to care for his instrument / voice and good for him !

Liverpool UK 09-Jun-2022 The Rolling Stones SIXTY Tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 10, 2022 13:46

The Rolling Stones review – world’s greatest rockers are still a gas, gas, gas

Dave Simpson
10 June 2022

Dave J Hogan/Getty

Anfield, Liverpool
While Abba perform as avatars, Jagger and co remain the real deal with the rip-roaring verve of stars several decades younger

Mick Jagger recently said rock’n’roll “isn’t supposed to be done in your 70s”, but he seems determined to prove this wrong. While Abba have returned as digital avatars of their young selves, the Stones’ frontman is his own living, breathing Jagger-tar. He turns 79 next month and has a replacement heart valve but sustains the stage energy of someone several decades younger. Alongside him, fellow grinning septuagenarians Keith Richards (78) and Ron Wood (75) sway elegantly like ancient trees in a breeze, playing their guitars with a swagger that suggests that time, however improbably, is still on their side.

Well, almost. Each show on this 60th-anniversary tour opens with a tribute to Charlie Watts, whose death aged 80 last year was a reminder that even Rolling Stones are mortal. Watts’s approved successor, American drummer Steve Jordan, is merely 65. He plays on the beat rather than behind it, but brings his own fills to Tumbling Dice and has clearly accustomed himself to the peculiarities of anchoring the Stones’ wayward, ramshackle glory and a catalogue brimming with copper-bottomed classics.

Brown Sugar, their second-most performed song ever, was recently retired – its references to slavery and sexuality proving too controversial for the modern era – but a stellar setlist stretches from 1963’s Lennon and McCartney-penned single I Wanna Be Your Man (“Since we’re in Liverpool …”, drawls Jagger) to the 2020 reggae-tinged lockdown single, Living in a Ghost Town.

There’s a punchy Street Fighting Man; 19th Nervous Breakdown and Get Off My Cloud are kinetic. Out of Time – the 1966 song never performed before this tour – and a hymn-like You Can’t Always Get What You Want start the first of many singalongs. It’s not just the songs, though, it’s the delivery: Jagger’s voice is stadium-strong and the guitars cut through with a raw power usually polished out of gigs this size.

“It’s great to see you. It’s great to see anybody,” jokes the indestructible Richards, while Jagger quips about visiting local landmarks: hugging Cilla Black’s statue was “closer than I ever got in real life!” After bassist Darryl Jones brings the funk to Miss You, dusk descends and the stage glows red for Paint It Black and Sympathy for the Devil, brilliantly unsettling songs that acknowledge the darkness like nothing else in rock.

Then it’s into Gimme Shelter as images of bombed Ukraine remind us that war currently is “just a shot away”. As the clock passes the two-hour mark, Jagger is still Jumping Jack Flash incarnate, tearing into Satisfaction, a song he once said he didn’t want to be singing when he was 30.

They’re deep into uncharted territory now. No other band has rocked this hard for this long, but an Anfield roar of You’ll Never Walk Alone goes up to honour a group who are clearly still worthy of the title of the greatest rock’n’roll band in the world.

[www.theguardian.com]

Date: June 10, 2022 13:54

The Rolling Stones dazzle Liverpool with unforgettable, electrifying gig at Anfield - review

Rock icons The Rolling Stones performed in Liverpool for the first time since 1971

By Jess Flaherty
10 JUN 2022

Liverpool Echo

The second the opening chords of Street Fighting Man played at Anfield Stadium, I knew I was in for a night to remember.

The Rolling Stones' hotly anticipated SIXTY tour is a celebration of their impressive 60 years in the music industry - and serves as a testament to the band's enduring legacy. Original members Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were joined by long-standing member Ronnie Wood for the tour, which takes the icons to Munich, Milan, Amsterdam, London and more.

The concert began with an emotional tribute to Stones drummer, Charlie Watts, who died last August at the age of 80. He'd been a member of the iconic band since 1963. Steve Jordan has picked up the drumsticks on the SIXTY tour.

Mick Jagger told the enraptured crowd: "In 1962, we met a drummer called Charlie Watts and this is our first tour in England that we've done without him, so we'd like to dedicate this show to Charlie. Thank you."

Like many people, I was incredibly excited to see The Rolling Stones perform - I even felt a little emotional when they first took to the stage. A lot of my music taste comes from my dad, who introduced me to the Stones when I was a child.

The first song I really remember falling in love with was Sympathy for the Devil - perhaps some clever minded soul can find a correlation between that and my Catholic school education. The song, from their brilliant 1968 album Beggars Banquet, is deliciously devilish with lyrics listing historical atrocities, juxtaposed with an upbeat, joyful backing choir that creates a knowing wink between the band and the listener.

Of course, as a child, I had no clue the song had been one of their most controversial releases but it didn't matter, I became a lifelong fan. The Rolling Stones kept us waiting almost until the end of the night to hear the song, but it was beyond worth it. The iconic, joyful opening was extended and teamed with a wild light show with vibrant flames on the giant screens and flashing pyrotechnics on the vast stage, while the performance space was flooded in atmospheric red.

Prior to that, the Stones dazzled the entire stadium with incredible renditions of Get Off Of My Cloud, Honky Tonk Women, Jumpin' Jack Flash and more. For the encore, they delighted Anfield with Gimme Shelter before closing the show with (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

The atmosphere in the stadium was completely electrifying - the band had us in the palm of their talented hands. Mick Jagger dominated every inch of the stage with the same furious, unrelenting energy and gyrating moves that he became known for in the band's early years.

Jagger regularly interacted with the audience, telling the huge crowd about his day out and about exploring Liverpool yesterday : "I went past The Grapes, I had a chippy. I had a look at the Empire - the Empire we played there 12 times in the 60s, 12 times. I can't believe it. I hugged Cilla Black in Mathew Street - which is a lot closer than I got to her in real life."

Every song was a performance in its own right, with the band ensuring every single person in the crowd was guaranteed to have a truly unforgettable experience. Seeing and hearing The Rolling Stones perform live was a complete and utter joy. I will treasure the memories of last night forever.

[www.liverpoolecho.co.uk]

Date: June 10, 2022 14:01

Mick pics just before the Liverpool show, how do those wrinkles disappear on the stage shots of him. Fascinating.
[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: June 10, 2022 14:03

Heavy makeup helps!

Date: June 10, 2022 14:05

He becomes an animal on stage. I have no other explaination. Saw Elton John yesterday. He was great. But Jagger is just... I can't explain it. Just wow.

Date: June 10, 2022 14:16

Topi
Heavy makeup helps!

Haha yes, well i suggest Ronnie and Keith use the same stage makeup as their wrinkles don't disappear on stage like Micks.winking smiley

What fascinates me is even the hooded / baggy eyes disappear, i don't think make up can do that, perhaps some sort of facial mask / application from a top makeup artist or something.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 10, 2022 14:19

It´s not that strange, what Keith did: he thought they had played all the verses and it was time to "take it home"...ad lib...as he always does at the end of SFM. But they had one verse to go. Could happen to the best of us.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 10, 2022 15:27

Despite all the imperfections, I had an absolutely terrific time last night and I’m still on a huge high, which will last for days. I was reticent about seeing them without Charlie and it is still sad but Steve’s doing a fine job as a stand in. Loved GOMC. Lifetime show 39 and I know I’ll keep seeing them until the last one falls down.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: June 10, 2022 15:43

IORR reports and pictures here, more pictures and reports coming soon:

The Rolling Stones
Anfield Stadium
Liverpool UK
Thursday June 9, 2022

Bjornulf

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: June 10, 2022 15:52

Such a great gig! I've been to each tour since '98 and honestly the standard the band maintain is incredible. I don't know how Jagger does it... but may he continue for as long as he wants.
Yes there were a couple of screw ups or' moments' but it's easy to forget theres a reason 'ya-yas' has overdubs, or that Hyde Park '69 was pretty out of tune. They're a band always on the edge. You take the rough with the smooth as the smooth feels sooo good!
They're doing something no act has ever done, taking this thing as far as it can go.
The Anfield crowd played their part also. You've got to be in it to win it! I could see the energy it gave the band.
See them whilst you can and be careful at judging YouTube vids...

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: June 10, 2022 15:54

keefriffhards
People are saying they let people in without tickets, others are saying people got in with free tickets.
This is coming from various comment sections, is that a regular thing these days or are these comments untrue.

It felt to me that the number of people in pit B increased by about 50% about half way in. Whether that's free tickets or people 'self upgrading' I don't know. But it made the whole thing less enjoyable.

Syrel

Date: June 10, 2022 16:05

syrel
keefriffhards

It felt to me that the number of people in pit B increased by about 50% about half way in. Whether that's free tickets or people 'self upgrading' I don't know. But it made the whole thing less enjoyable.

Syrel

Yes also reports that the people with free tickets were aggressive and not your typical Stones fans. Somethings up there.
Hope this gets sorted for the Hyde Park shows, in 1990' I had a knife pulled on me during SFTD at Wembley. Spent the rest of the show paranoid the guy was behind me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-06-10 16:09 by keefriffhards.

Date: June 10, 2022 16:11

Carl Recine

[twitter.com]

Date: June 10, 2022 16:11

Carl Recine

[twitter.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 13 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home