Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist facet
Date: March 10, 2022 10:26

lean2323
His Majesty
lean2323

On With The Show: Brian plays Mellotron and Concert Harp. Piano and harpsichord (can be stop/string technique) Nicky Hopckins.

Yes its Mike Leander Orchestra on Something Happened To Me Yesterday, but! I resist to think that Brian dont play antyhing on this track, trompet or recorder maybe?

There is no concert harp on On With The Show. Nicky doubled the piano using harpsichord with lute stop/string damper engaged. People mistake this for concert harp.

Acid In The Grass is the only known recording featuring Brian playing concert harp.

It's possible Brian played acoustic guitar or piano on SHTMY, if he did indeed play on the track. Maybe he didn't.

No known recordings of Brian playing brass, non reed instruments such as trumpet, trombone etc.

Thanks! Maybe Brian plays trumpet or saxo (like Citadel, Dandelion, 2000 light years from home and Beatles You Know My Name) in Sing This All Together and Sing This All Together (See What Happens)?

On SHTMY surprisingly (because much people affirm that Brian plays or trombone or trompet or saxo or clarinet even) I think that can be that Brian doesnt play anything.

In On with the show (and I think in Sittin on a Fence and in Take it or leave chorus if its not an autoharp, Jack seems to plays later in the same song too harpsichord but without lute stop/string damper engaged) can be this what happens that seems ¨like¨ a concert harp [www.youtube.com] (min 4:20)

Mellotron

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 10, 2022 11:10

24FPS
Mariuana
As for Brian's style, I think he looked great but not that special for those times. Look at the pictures of the crowd in Swingin' 60s, you'll see lot of young men and women wearing same style. What I thought was really a bomb, was Jagger's red military jacket in 1966. Too bad we did not see it enough in color.

I think the true creator of the Rolling Stones / Brian / Keith look was Anita Pallenberg. It really was when she entered Stones camp and they started wearing her clothes the Stones look was created.

Mathijs

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 10, 2022 12:26

Based on this info. It seems he contributed less to the Between the Buttons album than Beggars Banquet. And he contributed a lot to Satanic Majesties

Date: March 10, 2022 13:54

I believe that Brian Jones was a very talented musician, maybe the most talented Stone at the time. The same goes for Mick Taylor. Unfortunately in those days you had to have both feet on the ground to exploit it to the max; both Jones and Taylor were incredibly lazy and had an appetite for drugs. That's what they had in common. The rest is history.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-10 14:14 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 10, 2022 16:57

Taylor1
It seems he contributed less to the Between the Buttons album than Beggars Banquet.

During the August & November-December 1966 sessions at RCA, Olympic & Pye studios Brian, at the very least, played acoustic & electric guitar, piano, organ, vibraphone, electric dulcimer, autoharp, recorder, kazoo & harmonica.

That's certain regarding what he played during sessions, but what made it to and working out who is doing what on the released takes and mixes is the tricky part. Some obvious, others not so much.

Most sources default credit piano or organ to Jack or Stu without considering the above.

He for sure contributed more in 1966 than 1968.

Date: March 10, 2022 17:01

His Majesty
Taylor1
It seems he contributed less to the Between the Buttons album than Beggars Banquet.

During the August & November-December 1966 sessions at RCA, Olympic & Pye studios Brian, at the very least, played acoustic & electric guitar, piano, organ, vibraphone, electric dulcimer, autoharp, recorder, kazoo & harmonica.

That's certain regarding what he played during sessions, but what made it to and working out who is doing what on the released takes and mixes is the tricky part. Some obvious, others not so much.

Most sources default credit piano or organ to Jack or Stu without considering the above.

He for sure contributed more in 1966 than 1968.

Didn't Keith end up playing the kazoo on the album?

Date: March 10, 2022 17:35

DandelionPowderman

Yes. Keith played the kazoo solo on Cool, Calm and Collected. Often credited to Brian, but Mick said in January 1967 it was Keith and it fits musically. note the staccato Chuck Berry like phrasing towards the end of the solo.

Brian, Mick and Keith played kazoo together on 3 tracks recorded during the sessions. Trouble In Mind and two others which are on an acetate Matt Lee owns.

Date: March 10, 2022 17:49

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Yes. Keith played the kazoo solo on Cool, Calm and Collected. Often credited to Brian, but Mick said in January 1967 it was Keith and it fits musically. note the staccato Chuck Berry like phrasing towards the end of the solo.

Brian, Mick and Keith played kazoo together on 3 tracks recorded during the sessions. Trouble In Mind and two others which are on an acetate Matt Lee owns.

thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 10, 2022 18:54

TheflyingDutchman
I believe that Brian Jones was a very talented musician, maybe the most talented Stone at the time. The same goes for Mick Taylor. Unfortunately in those days you had to have both feet on the ground to exploit it to the max; both Jones and Taylor were incredibly lazy and had an appetite for drugs. That's what they had in common. The rest is history.

What's happened to this forum?

Someone seriously wants to see the Stones wear matching suits onstage, and now this pearl-clutching over.. (gasp!)... DRUGS ??

We're talking Rolling Stones here...not the Carpenters!

Date: March 10, 2022 21:45

loog droog
TheflyingDutchman

What's happened to this forum?

Someone seriously wants to see the Stones wear matching suits onstage, and now this pearl-clutching over.. (gasp!)... DRUGS ??

We're talking Rolling Stones here...not the Carpenters!

As soon as people start talking about looks, T-shirts and other Stones kitsch I'm out. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 11, 2022 02:04

As soon as people start talking about looks, T-shirts and other Stones kitsch I'm out. tongue sticking out smiley[/quote]

Bye. But looks are paramount when it comes to the band. You can identify every period through their look, up until about a decade ago. They certainly put a lot into their look. Wrote lyrics about it. Changed it up for every tour. Got written up in fashion magazines for it. They knew the value of it. They knew it was about more than the music. It was a vehicle to get that music across.

Date: March 11, 2022 13:52

As soon as people start talking about looks, T-shirts and other Stones kitsch I'm out. tongue sticking out smiley

24FPS
Bye. But looks are paramount when it comes to the band. You can identify every period through their look, up until about a decade ago. They certainly put a lot into their look. Wrote lyrics about it. Changed it up for every tour. Got written up in fashion magazines for it. They knew the value of it. They knew it was about more than the music. It was a vehicle to get that music across.

Could it be that you belong to a younger generation than me?

To state that Taylor never fit in because he was less mobile than Bill Wyman tells me more about your ears than your eyes.

I liked Stones i.e. good music before I ever had seen pictures of the musicians. Actually I never listen to music with my eyes. With the exception of ABBA. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-11 13:57 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: lean2323 ()
Date: March 11, 2022 18:01

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

thumbs up

In regarding of piano/harpsichord credits, in Between The Buttoms is often credit to Jack Nitzsche (from Their Satanic Majesties Request and thereafter until Its Only Rock & Roll the great and unique Nicky Hopkins). I found that Brian plays Harpsichord (with stop configuration that sound like a Harp) Sitting On A fence, Take it or leave it and On with the show, but can be incorrect. Piano I dont find any Brian record beyond the Ruby Tuesday first sessions (not the recording that is Jack).

Thanks again His Majesty for all the clarifications and youre help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-11 18:50 by lean2323.

Date: March 11, 2022 18:40

24FPS

Could it be that you belong to a younger generation than me?

To state that Taylor never fit in because he was less mobile than Bill Wyman tells me more about your ears than your eyes.

[/quote]

Probably older. Taylor never fit into the visual of the group, which was so important to the group itself. Why do you think they picked Ronnie? And not Harvey Mandel? Or Wayne Perkins? Gerard Mankowitz said Brian was more important visually than what he was contributing musically in the mid-60s. Every rock and roll guitarist dressed like a version of Keith ala 1969 for decades.

I'm not saying the visual is more important than the music. You bring them in with the sizzle, and then deliver with the steak. Or every Stones record would have come in brown cardboard with NEXT STONES ALBUM stamped on it.

Date: March 12, 2022 04:21

lean2323

Nicky played piano as part of basic backing track session and overdubbed harpsichord (with lute stop) on On With The Show. Brian played mellotron using trumpet/trombine sound then switching to the 3 violins sound as part of the basic backing track session.

The lute stop is not engaged on harpsichord for Sitting On A Fence.

Brian played the main piano on Ruby Tuesday. Jack possibly/probably adding a 2nd piano on each chorus. This thing of Brian only playing piano on early sessions, but not the released version is just made up.

Date: March 12, 2022 05:02

His Majesty
lean2323

Nicky played piano as part of basic backing track session and overdubbed harpsichord (with lute stop) on On With The Show. Brian played mellotron using trumpet/trombine sound then switching to the 3 violins sound as part of the basic backing track session.

The lute stop is not engaged on harpsichord for Sitting On A Fence.

Brian played the main piano on Ruby Tuesday. Jack possibly/probably adding a 2nd piano on each chorus. This thing of Brian only playing piano on early sessions, but not the released version is just made up.

Ok, the sound on On With The Show that is like a harp wold be Nicky then.

In Take it or leave could be a dulcimer or autoharp than a harpsichord, to me sound more like that (specially post chorus).

Then Brian played the main piano on the recording of Ruby Tuesday?

Its not technically/literally the "early version", I was talking about an early arrengement only on the song (that is Brian on recorder and piano on Keiths idea)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-12 07:00 by lean2323.

Date: March 12, 2022 12:38

There is no dulcimer or autoharp on Take It Or Leave It. There is a harpsichord with and without the lute stop engaged. Lute stop engaged for most of the song, disengaged for the chords heard during the la la la la sections.

Date: March 12, 2022 16:22

His Majesty
There is no dulcimer or autoharp on Take It Or Leave It. There is a harpsichord with and without the lute stop engaged. Lute stop engaged for most of the song, disengaged for the chords heard during the la la la la sections.

It was correct first, in the chorus its harpsichord with stop and in the la la la part is nornal. Take it or leave it and Sittin on a fence would be the two songs that Brian record Harpsichord.

On Ruby Tuesday its Brian on the final recording playing main piano (apart of recorder)? Would be the only song that Brian recording on piano.

Date: March 13, 2022 00:29

24FPS

I'm not saying the visual is more important than the music.

If you had written that in your first reply about Taylor's musical value in the Rolling Stones you and me could have spared us the ink.

Date: March 13, 2022 00:41

TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

If you had written that in your first reply about Taylor's musical value in the Rolling Stones you and me could have spared us the ink.

Gee, sorry that my fetid brain came up with another angle later. I didn't know this was a legal preceding. Just a bunch of codgers bitching about nothing, waiting for the next vault release, hoping it's pre-1990.

Date: March 13, 2022 00:52

24FPS
TheflyingDutchman
24FPS

Gee, sorry that my fetid brain came up with another angle later. I didn't know this was a legal preceding. Just a bunch of codgers bitching about nothing, waiting for the next vault release, hoping it's pre-1990.

You are forgiven my son. thumbs up

Date: March 13, 2022 14:24

lean2323

On Ruby Tuesday its Brian on the final recording playing main piano (apart of recorder)? Would be the only song that Brian recording on piano.

Brian likely played piano on a few tracks recorded during August 1966 - January 1967.

Date: March 13, 2022 20:17

I wonder what Andrew Loog Oldham contributed to As Tears Go By and other Jagger - Richards songs that he got a writers credit. Were they for the lyrics?Whereas Brian got none for songs like Ruby Tuesday and 2000 Light Years

Date: March 13, 2022 20:24

His Majesty
lean2323

Brian likely played piano on a few tracks recorded during August 1966 - January 1967.

There is another song that Brian recording piano? Can you please clarificate this? I didn't find anything certified Brian piano on credits, neither Ruby Tuesday (most information certificates he record only recorder/flute and the piano was Jack, but can be that both recorder piano on the song) ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-13 23:29 by lean2323.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 13, 2022 20:48

Taylor1
I wonder what Andrew Loog Oldham contributed to As Tears Go By and other Jagger - Richards songs that he got a writers credit. Were they for the lyrics?Whereas Brian got none for songs like Ruby Tuesday and 2000 Light Years

You hit the bulls eye with this question!
Indeed, WHAT was Oldham's contribution to songwriting? I have no intention to downgrade Oldham's temporary importance as Stones publicity man (okay, you may call that management if you like), but ..... songwriting credits? What a joke.

Brian's beautiful recorder experiments ahead of the making of Ruby Tuesday was the basis for Keith to come up with the outlines of that song. For that alone he already deserved songwriting credits! Oldham told some violin blokes (sorry, maybe girls) to add their basic bits to As Tears Go By. But getting credits for that is a big joke compared to highly subtile and important contributions by Brian to several great Rolling Stones songs.

smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Date: March 13, 2022 21:48

georgie48
Taylor1

You hit the bulls eye with this question!
Indeed, WHAT was Oldham's contribution to songwriting? I have no intention to downgrade Oldham's temporary importance as Stones publicity man (okay, you may call that management if you like), but ..... songwriting credits? What a joke.

Brian's beautiful recorder experiments ahead of the making of Ruby Tuesday was the basis for Keith to come up with the outlines of that song. For that alone he already deserved songwriting credits! Oldham told some violin blokes (sorry, maybe girls) to add their basic bits to As Tears Go By. But getting credits for that is a big joke compared to highly subtile and important contributions by Brian to several great Rolling Stones songs.

smileys with beer
What would other songs sound like such as 2000 Light Years without Brian

Date: March 13, 2022 22:04

Taylor1

Didn't he change the title - from as years go by - to as tears go by?

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 13, 2022 22:24

As Time Goes By, actually.

Now, what about I'd Much Rather Be with the Boys?

Date: March 13, 2022 23:54

DandelionPowderman
Taylor1

Didn't he change the title - from as years go by - to as tears go by?
By that logic Ringo should have gotten writerscredit for A Hard Day’s Night, because Lennon said he came up with the phrase

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 14, 2022 09:47

Taylor1

Oldham's credit is all about royalties, it's a business agreement. The same as Nanker/Phelge, which was setup by Oldham on orders of Allan Klein to get a more steady income out of the Stones.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2168
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home