Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist facet
Posted by: lean2323 ()
Date: March 3, 2022 21:33

Full list of instruments that Brian Jones played and the ones he recorded in songs. For listen Brian parts I highly recomend The Brian Jones Resource Youtube Channel [www.youtube.com] & web page [brianjonesresource.wixsite.com]

String Instruments

- Guitar
The Rolling Stones EP (1964)
Bye Bye Johnny (vocals too)
You Better Move On (vocals too)
Poison Ivy (vocals too)

The Rolling Stones I (1964)
(Get Your Kicks On) Route 66
Can I Get A Witness (vocals too)
If You Need Me
Little By Little
I Need You Baby (Mona) (guitar with tremolo)
Honest I Do
Carol
Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
You Can Make It If You Try (vocals too)
Walking The Dog (vocals and whistling too)

Five by Five EP (1964)
Confessin' the Blues
Around and Around

12x5 (1964)
19th Nervous Breakdown
It's All Over Now (12 string guitar and vocals)

Now! (1964)
Surprise, Surprise
Off The Hook

The Rolling Stones II (1964)
You Can't Catch Me
Grown Up Wrong
Down The Road Apiece
Under The Boardwalk
Susie Q

Out of Our Head (1965)
She Said Yeah (guitar with tremolo)
Cry To Me (guitar with tremolo)
Mercy, Mercy (main riff)
Oh Baby (We Got a Good Thing Going)
The Last Time (main riff)
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction (acoustic)
The Spider and the Fly

December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965)
Get Off Of My Cloud (main riff and 12 string guitar)
The Singer Not The Song (12 string guitar)

Aftermath (1966)
It's Not Easy

Between the Buttons (1967)
Please Go Home (guitar tremolo)

Flowers (1967)
Sittin' On A Fence[/size] (lead guitar)

Beggars Banquet (1968)
Sympathy For The Devil (acoustic, vocals too)

- Slide guitar
I wanna be youre man (vocals too) (single 1963)
Little Red Rooster (single 1964)
Meet me in the buttom (outtake 1964)

Im A King bee (with solo)

The Rolling Stones II (1964)
I Can't Be Satisfied

Got Live If You Want It! (EP) (1965)
Im moving on

Aftermath (1966)
Mothers Little Helper (12 string guitar slide)
Doncha Bother Me

Still A Fool (unrelased 1968)

Beggars Banquet (1968)
No expectations

- Sitar
Aftermath (1966)
Paint it black

Lady Jane (Glyn Johns version) (1966)

Degree of Murder (movie soundtrack) (1967)

Beggars Banquet (1968)
Street Fighting Man

- Dulcimer
Aftermath (1966)
Lady Jane
Im waiting

Cool calm & collected

Their Satanic Majesties Request (1967)
Gomper
Citadel

- Koto

- Tanpura
Beggars Banquet (1968)
Street Fighting Man

- Autoharp
Whos been sleeping here

Flowers (1967)
Ride On Baby

Beggars Banquet (1968)
You got the silver

Metamorphosis (1975)
If you let me

- Concert Harp
Acid In The Grass (studio ¨In Another Land¨ outtake) (1967)

- Sarod

- Cello

- Banjo

- Mandolina

Keys Instruments

- Mellotron
We Love You (single 1967)

2000 Light Years From Home
Shes a rainbow
On With The Show
In Another Land
Citadel
Sing This All Together
Sing This All Together (See What Happens)
The Lantern
Gomper

Beggars Banquet (1968)
Jigsaw Puzzle
Stray Cat Blues

- Piano
Ruby Tuesday

- Organ
Out of Our Head (1965)
I'm Free
That's How Strong My Love Is

Aftermath (1966)
Take It Or Leave It

Let's Spend The Night Together
My obsesion
She Smiled Sweetly
Complicated (and acoustic guitar too)

The Lantern
Majesties Honky Tonk (Satanic sessions)

- Harpsichord
Flowers (1967)
Sittin' On A Fence

Wind Instruments

- Harmonica

IBC Demos (1963)
Diddley Daddy (guitar too)
Road Runner (guitar too, main riff)
Bright Lights Big City (guitar too)
Baby What's Wrong (guitar too)
I Want To Be Loved (guitar too)

Come On (single 1963)
I Want To Be Loved (single 1963)
Stoned (single 1963)

Fortune Teller (vocals too)

The Rolling Stones EP (1964)
Money (vocals too)

England's Newest Hit Makers (1964)
Not Fade Away

Five by Five EP (1964)
Empty Heart (vocals too)
2120 South Michigan Avenue

I just want ot make love to you
Now I've Got A Witness

12x5 (1964)
Good Times, Bad Times

A Mess of Blues & Love Me, Baby (Peter and Gordon) (1964)

Out of Our Head (1965)
One More Try
The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man

December's Children (And Everybody's) (1965)
Look What You've Done

Who's Driving Your Plane (1966)

Aftermath (1966)
High and Dry
Goin' Home

Beggars Banquet (1968)
Prodigal Son
Parachute Woman
Dear Doctor

- Flute
Ruby Tuesday

Degree of Murder¨ (movie soundtrack) (1967)

Citadel
All Sold Out
Gomper
Sing This All Together
Sing This All Together (See What Happens)

- Saxophone
Dandelion (soprano saxophone) (single 1967)

Citadel

Child of the Moon (soprano saxophone) (single 1968)

You Know My Name (Look Up the Number) (Beatles) (1970)

- Trumpet

- Oboe

- Tuba

- Trombone

- Shehnai

- Clarinet

Percussion Intruments

- Marimba
Aftermath (1966)
Under my thumb
Out Of Time

Flowers (1967)
Ride On Baby

- Vibraphone
Yesterday's Papers
Back Street Girl

Sing This All Together

- Drums

You've Had Better Times (Peter and Gordon) (1968)

- Glockenspiel
Sing This All Together

- Jew's harp
Sing This All Together

- Congas
Title 15 (studio ¨2000 Light Years From Home¨ outtake) (1967)

Beggars Banquet (1968)
Midnight Rambler

- Vibraslap
All Along the Watchtower (Hendrix) (1968)

- Guiro

- Maracas

- Bells

Aftermath (1966)
Take It or Leave It

- Tambourine
Tell Me (You're Coming Back)

Fortune Teller

Connection

- Tambor

Electronic Instruments

- Theremin

Please Go Home

The Honky Tonk Blues [www.youtube.com]

The sunshine bores the daylights out of me

Edited 62 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-03 20:10 by lean2323.

Re: Brian Jones Multi-Instrumentalist
Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: March 3, 2022 22:03

He does not play accordion on Back Street Girl. I don’t think he plays piano on Ruby Tuesday.That’s Nietzche.He doesn’t play on Baby Your a Rich Man

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 22:04 by Taylor1.

Date: March 3, 2022 22:30

Taylor1
He does not play accordion on Back Street Girl. I don’t think he plays piano on Ruby Tuesday.That’s Nietzche.He doesn’t play on Baby Your a Rich Man

Right, fixed the bug, in fact the accordion in Back Street Girl is played by Nick De Caro, the final version of Ruby Tuesday on piano was Nietzche (only an early version Brian play recorder & piano) and on Baby You're a Rich Man Lennon played the clavioline on its oboe setting

Thanks!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-03 22:33 by lean2323.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 3, 2022 23:24

Brian Jones was their original harmonica player and made some great contributions. I doubt Mick ever played harmonica publicly and recordings while Brian was in The Stones.

Date: March 4, 2022 00:59

lean2323
Taylor1

Right, fixed the bug, in fact the accordion in Back Street Girl is played by Nick De Caro, the final version of Ruby Tuesday on piano was Nietzche (only an early version Brian play recorder & piano) and on Baby You're a Rich Man Lennon played the clavioline on its oboe setting

Thanks!
Great job summarizing his contributions.Had he lived, with the advances in recording and instruments I think he would have done some great and adventurous music.Brian Eno with a fantastic sense of rhythm.Probably would have done that and still done the blues

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 4, 2022 02:12

lean2323
Taylor1

Thanks!

Organ on That's How Strong My Love Is. As far as Ruby Tuesday, 40 Licks booklet states he's playing piano and recorder and Bill's book says he's playing it, too.

Date: March 4, 2022 02:15

Actually the piano does not sound like Jack on Ruby Tuesday. But I read it’s him.Brian’s mellotron on Jigsaw Puzzle and Stray Cat Blues was great

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 4, 2022 07:32

If only he'd spent half the time improving his guitar playing. Ian Stewart said he remembers Brian playing like Django when he first met him. That would have implied lead guitar playing, which Brian rarely did, except for maybe a repeating riff.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 4, 2022 07:40

Versatile, experimental, and innovative - he probably would have been successful even without the Rolling Stones, while the same can't be said of the others in the band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2022 08:11

while the same can't be said of the others in the band.

Whhhoooo thats a big statement ...
actually bordering on an insult to the other members of the band

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2022 09:50

triceratops
Brian Jones was their original harmonica player and made some great contributions. I doubt Mick ever played harmonica publicly and recordings while Brian was in The Stones.

Check out Little By Little on their very first album (after Mick says "my turn") smiling smiley

Date: March 4, 2022 18:13

Hairball
Versatile, experimental, and innovative - he probably would have been successful even without the Rolling Stones, while the same can't be said of the others in the band.

I think saying that only Brian could do a strong career (and this is could have been possibible or not, not depends success only of the artist genius and ability, you need more than that) denigrates and overlooks ability and talent of the others Stones members (and for composing music talent too!)..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-04 22:40 by lean2323.

Date: March 4, 2022 18:14

DandelionPowderman
triceratops

Check out Little By Little on their very first album (after Mick says "my turn") smiling smiley

Brian plays a lot harmonica in the first Stones years because he just had the talent to bend the notes and play wonderfull blues licks, but Mick too plays harmonica in few early Stones songs (example Honest I Do, Little by Little, I'm a King Bee, What a Shame, Down Home Girl, Grown Up Wrong). Is true that Mick learn in those days a lot from Brian licks and copying artist like Little Walter and many others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-04 21:01 by lean2323.

Date: March 4, 2022 18:28

Taylor1
lean2323
Taylor1

Thanks!
Great job summarizing his contributions.Had he lived, with the advances in recording and instruments I think he would have done some great and adventurous music.Brian Eno with a fantastic sense of rhythm.Probably would have done that and still done the blues

Thanks!! I think too, and I think if Brian would be less insecure and take seriusly a solo career with the right people to recording and promote, surely he could have done it and be great like the best solo artists in music history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-04 20:57 by lean2323.

Date: March 4, 2022 18:47

DGA35
lean2323
Taylor1

Thanks!

Organ on That's How Strong My Love Is. As far as Ruby Tuesday, 40 Licks booklet states he's playing piano and recorder and Bill's book says he's playing it, too.

Yes in the first sessions of Ruby Tuesday, but in the final recording Jack Nieztche play the piano and Brian the recorder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-04 18:47 by lean2323.

Date: March 5, 2022 01:44

Mick Keith and Brian had a unique feel for rhythm.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 5, 2022 01:54

DandelionPowderman
triceratops

I stand corrected, and happy birthday to you!

Date: March 5, 2022 10:07

What indication is there Brian would have been a success on his own? He was a rhythm guitarist and harmonica player. He couldn't sing. Couldn't/wouldn't/didn't write songs. The best he could have hoped for was as a sideman for another British Invasion group. He was undisciplined. Wanted to be the leader but wasn't a leader. What exactly would he have been a success at?

And to intimate the others wouldn't have been anything on their own. Mick would have figured out some kind of business if he didn't make it as a vocalist. Charlie was a much sought-after drummer independently of Brian. Remember, they chased after him, including Brian. Bill was such a great bass player. Any band would have been lucky to have him. Keith was quite a talented guitar player. Somebody would have picked him up.

They were all talented. They were more than the five individual parts when they came together. Brian was only slightly ahead of them musically in the beginning. Then they caught up and surpassed him.

Date: March 5, 2022 13:20

24FPS
What indication is there Brian would have been a success on his own? He was a rhythm guitarist and harmonica player. He couldn't sing. Couldn't/wouldn't/didn't write songs. The best he could have hoped for was as a sideman for another British Invasion group. He was undisciplined. Wanted to be the leader but wasn't a leader. What exactly would he have been a success at?

And to intimate the others wouldn't have been anything on their own. Mick would have figured out some kind of business if he didn't make it as a vocalist. Charlie was a much sought-after drummer independently of Brian. Remember, they chased after him, including Brian. Bill was such a great bass player. Any band would have been lucky to have him. Keith was quite a talented guitar player. Somebody would have picked him up.

They were all talented. They were more than the five individual parts when they came together. Brian was only slightly ahead of them musically in the beginning. Then they caught up and surpassed him.
. Brian could write music as evidenced in his soundtrack for a Degree of Murder he just up to that point wasn’t writing 3 minute pop songs.But the time frame, 1964-1969 when he wasn’t coming up with any useable songs was so short and he was so young when he died, who knows if he might have been able to dowithout Mick and Keith .He was morethan a guitarist and harmonica player.His mellotron playing on that primitive instrument was great.Had he lived he’d have synthesizers and computers and even AI to work with.And he unarguably created the sound of The Rolling Stones with Mick and Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-05 13:21 by Taylor1.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: March 5, 2022 16:29

Can not disagree more on the only Brian could have made a successful solo career among all the Stones. From waht we know about him, he was too undisciplined to have a successful career not only in music but anywhere else by his own. Only if he would have met right people with patience of a saint to tolerate his behaivour and his temper no matter what and still be able to manage him to his success. Even that would not garantee him a big breakthrough. He was not a hot frontman, neither was he a genious songwriter, so what is it all about? As talented as Brian was, his genious is overrated.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 5, 2022 20:07

I don't think it is fair to judge a dude who died so young by the shortcomings he committed during his short life. Yeah, shit happened, and Brian was gone, but people have the ability to change. He never had that chance.

But thinking him in purely musical merits and terms (and leaving kitchen psychology and moralism aside) , and the gift and potentiality there, I could easily imagine him doing something interesting. Not probably in terms of commercial pop music, and anything close to the popularity of the Stones. He had the drive for 'world music' two decades before there was a concept for it. His natural sense for musical experimentalism and incredible understanding of different instruments and sounds offers an endless potentia. What he might have done with all the synths etc. the modern technology allows. During the 70's when progressive rock killed the formula of a three minute pop song might have freed his creative soul. In Brian's film soundtrack there are glimpses for that direction. The proposed idea of Brian Eno with a good sense of rhythm sounds funny (and Eno hasn't sold that many records, but that doesn't seem to worry anyone).

If compared to the potentiality of other Stones members, with the exception of Charlie Watts, I think he had the best potential to do something completely different than the music of The Rolling Stones. Especially Mick and Keith are like doomed to sound Stonesy no matter what they do (and this isn't criticism). They breath that stuff.

Anyway, what has always fascinated me in regard to Brian Jones is that he, despite being initially like a model boy for a 'rock star', he somehow escapes all the typical definitions belonging to the rock culture. Compared to his substitutes, he is totally an unique musician. Taylor's pretty much a typical British post-Clapton 'guitar god' and Ronnie is almost like caricature or a walking cliche of British guitar-playing rock star, 'poor man's Keith Richards'. But Brian was something else, and he unfortunately didn't live long enough, or the rock music to develop enough, to really define himself. A 'multi-instrumentalist' yeah, but that also is a bit vague definition.

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-05 20:36 by Doxa.

Date: March 5, 2022 21:46

24FPS
What indication is there Brian would have been a success on his own? .

I didn't say "on his own", I said without the Rolling Stones.

Mariuana
Can not disagree more on the only Brian could have made a successful solo career among all the Stones.

Solo career? No, I said "he probably would have been successful even without the Rolling Stones".

If Brian hadn't formed the Rolling Stones as we know them, he could have formed a band with another bunch of musicians, and he (and his band) probably would have been quite successful at it.
Had the others not been asked to join Brian's band (the Rolling Stones), not so sure what would have become of them. Charlie might have remained a jazz drummer, Keith and Mick might have been a pub band,
and Bill...who knows....They might have had some level of "success", but that depends on how success is defined. That all said, thanks to Brian we have the Rolling Stones, and because he was so versatile,
experimental, and innovative, he helped set the Rolling Stones apart and to become as successful as they did.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 5, 2022 21:54

Had Brian and Stu not formed the Rolling Stones, it's doubtful that Brian would have the success he had with the Stones. It's more likely Mick and Keith would have done better. Look at how the Stones have done without Brian. And then there is the songwriting...... Mick and Keith would have been fine.

Date: March 5, 2022 22:01

Making excuses for Brian because he died young does no good. Think of what Mick and Keith had written by the time Brian died, without one song of his own to point to.

They didn't need him to play exotic instruments by 1969. They needed another guitarist. And Brian being all googly over CCR at that time, and being at odds with the records they were cutting, is ridiculous. The Stones, with Jimmy Miller at the helm, had moved back into the very music Brian introduced them to in the beginning.

I think Mick is right. He couldn't handle fame, and he might have become a music professor, if he ever grew up. I think Brian is a fascinating study. An other wordly, unique ethereal talent. But it was accompanied by what appears to a bratty, maybe bipolar problem. Maybe they were all mixed up together.

Date: March 5, 2022 22:02

Without being in the Stones, Mick and Keith might have never had the chance to realize their songwriting potential- they might have been relegated to being a small time Chuck Berry/blues covers pub band

Date: March 5, 2022 22:29

Had Brian lived in the 7-tees, I wonder if he was talented enough to join top prog-rock band Gentle Giant. They all were multi instrumentalists.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 5, 2022 22:30

Hairball
Without being in the Stones, Mick and Keith might have never had the chance to realize their songwriting potential- they might have been relegated to being a small time Chuck Berry/blues covers pub band

That's absurd, you always give yourself away.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: March 5, 2022 23:16

thanks for this list! what about vocals? I know he sang on a few but the only one I ever distinctly hear his voice on is Walking The Dog.. others?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2022 23:17

Yep without the Ark Moses would
probably have just ended manager of The Animals ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: March 6, 2022 01:42

None of the original band members were able to explain the success of The Rolling Stones other than using the word “chemistry”. As a former analytical chemist I understand what chemistry is all about at a scientific level, but chemical interaction between human beings is, as far as I can see it, way to complex for anyone to understand, let alone explain it. Why does a person love another person? Chemistry. What makes us love a particular kind of music? Chemistry. Etcetera etcetera. Don’t try to explain it, you will not succeed.
The only thing I dare to say is that once that “chemistry” created the Rolling Stones, all that followed, including us fans, is nothing more than a chain reaction.
Mick, Keith, Brian, Bill, Charlie and the others, and us fans, kept that chain reaction going … for 60 years already. Amazing! And yes, Brian’s part was his multi instrumental talent, be it only for some 8 years.
smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-06 09:37 by georgie48.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home