Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: O. T. Winter Olympics Beijing.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 17, 2022 11:01

Yeah, congrats to Canada! Clearly the best team in the tournament, although USA seemingly gave a good effort in the final (I didn't see the match).

Congrats to Treacle as well. Now you have one medal in ice hockey like us. But we still have a chance to take one more...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-17 11:03 by Doxa.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 17, 2022 14:17

Doxa
Yeah, congrats to Canada! Clearly the best team in the tournament, although USA seemingly gave a good effort in the final (I didn't see the match).

Congrats to Treacle as well. Now you have one medal in ice hockey like us. But we still have a chance to take one more...winking smiley

- Doxa

Thanks Doxa...yes, a disappointing Olympics for sure, for some of us anyway.

I really wasn't all that connected to it, not sure if it was the time difference or what. Good luck to you Friday, I think that's when the game is!

Date: February 17, 2022 15:07

Aquamarine
bv
Norway have more than one language.
Norge is the main "bokmål" name of our country.
Noreg is the name in "nynorsk" i.e. countryside language.

I had no clue, this is fascinating info, thank you.

We have three languages smiling smiley

Norwegian, New-Norwegian and Sami.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 17, 2022 15:20

DandelionPowderman
Aquamarine
bv

Is there also an English hybrid, like you find in some places?

Norglish?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 17, 2022 15:26

Happy for the women’s hockey team - they’d worked hard to get this win over the US! This was the song they chose to have played when they scored a goal - and it had to be played 57 times during the Games - Years In the Making by The Arkells. Perfect!

(And of course, if you use Safari you can’t see the link, unless you hit Quote This Message…) (Edit - typo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-17 17:49 by SomeTorontoGirl.

Date: February 17, 2022 15:41

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
Aquamarine
bv

Is there also an English hybrid, like you find in some places?

Norglish?

Norwenglish winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 17, 2022 17:41

Sweden will meet Great Britain in the men's final in curling after beating Canada in the semifinal today. Great Britain will be favorites after finishing on top in Round Robin.
The Swedish curling women will also face Great Britain - in the semifinal. I guess Great Britain is longing for medals this far in the Olympics? Maybe their curling teams will deliver them?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 17, 2022 19:21

Very disappointing results for our Canadian curling teams. Mens will play for a bronze. Jennifer Jones, former Olympic and world champion didn't make it out of the round robins. Losing to China is almost as bad as our mixed team losing to Australia, who only have a couple rinks in the whole country.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 17, 2022 20:02

Well! Team GB will come away from the Olympics with at least a Silver, and hopefully it will be a Gold in the men's curling Final.

The women have still got the semi finals, and hopefully our girls will get a Bronze at least and really wish they will get a Gold or Silver medal. thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 17, 2022 20:23

crawdaddy
Well! Team GB will come away from the Olympics with at least a Silver, and hopefully it will be a Gold in the men's curling Final.

The women have still got the semi finals, and hopefully our girls will get a Bronze at least and really wish they will get a Gold or Silver medal. thumbs up

Damn, I didn't know that Great Britain is a helluva curling country! Good luck to both of your teams!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-17 20:23 by Doxa.

Date: February 17, 2022 20:37

Doxa
crawdaddy

Damn, I didn't know that Great Britain is a helluva curling country! Good luck to both of your teams!

- Doxa

Eve Muirhead is curling for Britain, I'm not a huge curling fan but I've seen her on tv when her team has been playing bonspiels in Canada.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: February 17, 2022 20:38

Seems if Curling is an Olympic sport, so should be Darts.

Date: February 18, 2022 00:31

Shortly about Canada vs Sweden. A poor game all in all. No one broke the pattern.
I was expecting Canada to go all in after 1-0 to Sweden in the third. But not much happened ...

About tomorrow. Here are my odds:

Finland - Slovakia 70/30 for a Finnish win.
The ROC - Sweden. 55/45 for a ROC win.

I'm rooting for Tre Kronor of course. I always do..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 18, 2022 01:16

DandelionPowderman
Aquamarine
bv

Well, now you're just showing off! winking smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: February 18, 2022 05:29

A couple of days ago a song during the women's figure skating event was Paint It Black played on a violin. And today I heard I wanna be your dog by the Stooges. These youngsters know their music!

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: February 18, 2022 08:10

Far from a keen Olympics watcher, but I have been following the progress of Curling on and off.

We will see Women’s Semi-final today, Sweden vs. Britain and Switzerland vs. Japan, respectively. Most prediction goes that, eventually, Switzerland and Sweden, the two strongest teams, will share the Gold and Silver medals between them, and Britain and Japan fight against each other for the Bronze.

If that’s the case, as much as I support Japan, I wouldn’t mind the medal goes to Britain that much — in Pyeongchang 2018, Britain lost the game to Japan in exactly the same situation, i.e. the Bronze medal game. It’s their turn this time. And I’m a fan of Muirheadwinking smiley

Britain is already fixed to go to Curling Men’s final. Team GB has got no medals so far, it’s about time.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 18, 2022 12:14

Norway have a good day at the winter Olympics today. First of all by winning gold medal number 15 in these Olympics, new record for any nation through the Olympic history. Then also one silver in biathlon, and three bronze medals - two in biathlon - men and women, and one in 1,000 m speed skating.

The conditions at Biathlon were hard, some -15C cold, wind at times during shooting, still fair conditions, France won the women's biathlon, Norway silver and bronze. Norway won the men's biathlon, Sweden silver, Norway bronze.

Two more days of competitions, tomorrow and Sunday, there has been some great games, but next week normal life will start. Time to think a bit more about the tour this summer. Time to sit still and save up!

Bjornulf

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: February 18, 2022 13:23

Doxa
crawdaddy

- Doxa

All the curlers in Team GB (male & female) are Scottish. Scotland has 10% of the the British population but 100% of the curlers.

People get very interested every four years. I enjoyed the semi-final victory against USA yesterday but not sure I fully understand all the tactics and terminology...

Good luck to the lads in the final and the lasses in the semi!!

Date: February 18, 2022 16:49

Curling: Japan beat Switzerland 8-6! Amazing!

Date: February 18, 2022 17:08

...and Britain beat Sweden! Miraculous!

Date: February 18, 2022 17:57

Congrats to GB who beat Sweden in the 11th end in women's curling. Now GB have both their teams in finals. Congrats to the ROC who beat Sweden on penalties in the semifinal.
A lots of losses for us Swedes today. Not our best day in the Olympics so far.

Date: February 18, 2022 18:04

Two great teams from Team GB in the final of the men's and women's curling competition.

I am completely with the Scots fans of curling who say it is two Scotland teams in reality.

Curling is to Scotland in a similar way to cricket is to England when it comes to the four nations of the UK.

We will come back with two Gold or Silver medals at the end of the Games, and I for one have really enjoyed these Winter Olympics, with some really great performances. smileys with beer

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: February 18, 2022 19:04

RisingStone
Curling: Japan beat Switzerland 8-6! Amazing!

RisingStone
...and Britain beat Sweden! Miraculous!

thumbs up
Many of Japanese sports fan learned about curling at Torino 2006 and fall in love with women's curling team every 4 years.

They got bronze in 2018, it was the first Olympic curling medal for Japan and then bronze match opponents were Britain.
And they meet with Britain again at the final, Sunday morning 10am Tokyo time.

Date: February 19, 2022 15:23

Shortly about Finland - The ROC tomorrow. My odds: 50/50. A lot of pressure on the Russians but Finland has a bigger heart. I will root for the Finns of course.

Shortly about Tre kronor: They were a bit unlucky losing on penalties in the semi but all in all they lacked a cohesive attack play during the most part of the tournament. They didn't play an attractive ice hockey.
Not many passes had the right adress. Had I been the coach I would have went for almost solely SHL players in the team. Not so many washed up NHL players playing in Switzerland.

Date: February 19, 2022 15:36

Team GB, or Scotland in reality got Silver Medals in a very close men's Curling final, with Sweden coming out as winners of the Gold Medals.

The women's final is on the last day of the Beijing Games Sunday and Team GB will be going for Gold in this one against Japan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-19 15:39 by crawdaddy.

Date: February 19, 2022 19:03

Well, Johan Garpenlöv continues his losing streak. 0-4 against Slovakia in the bronze medal game. So far he hasn't won anything as a head coach for Tre Kronor. Even Peter Forsberg dared to criticize him now and he hardly says a bad word about anyone usually. Okay, one more tournament (WC 2022) to underachieve in and bye bye Garpenlöv.

Date: February 20, 2022 00:49

Congrats to Slovakia men's hockey team for getting their first ever medal in hockey, a well earned bronze medal. And congrats to coach Craig Ramsey, perhaps he'll get a coaching job in the NHL.

Date: February 20, 2022 01:37

I'm sure you mean their first Olympic medal in ice hockey, DGA35. They have 4 WC medals including a gold in 2002. And old Czechoslovakia has 34 WC medals through the years (and 6 Olympic medals).

Date: February 20, 2022 03:57

Doxa
Ice hockey suffers from the lack of NHL players, but at the same time it is a great chance to other (mostly KHL) players to shine, and a tournament is always a tournament, medals are medals, etc. But I'd like to point out one specific player from Team Slovakia. 17 years old Juraj Slafkovsky is the youngest player in the games, but he has been terrific: four goals in three games, and in a pretty minimal role (no power play, etc.). He scored all the Slovakian goals (3) against Finland and Sweden.

I've been following the dude for some time, since he has played the last two years in my favourite Finnish club, TPS from Turku. He hasn't scored that much yet in Finnish league, since they've been coaching him to be a better over-all player, etc. but he is is a helluva talent. He is damn big guy (over 1.9m and 100 kgs), a Jagr-type player - created to small rings of NHL. He will be drafted next summer (top five), and I am sure the NHL team to get him will be lucky. A NHL star class player soon.

- Doxa

Yes, Juraj Slafkovsky played an awesome tournament, he's already highly ranked in the NHL draft prospects but I'm sure he'll rise even higher!

Posted by: a bigger nut ()
Date: February 20, 2022 06:03

Congrats to GB women's curling team. They are too good. Leading the game at all time.

Japan could not show qualities that they did against Switzerland at semi. It seemed struggling to find today's ice conditions.
Anyway, Olympic Silver is the best result for Japan curling history.
Well done girls.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2057
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home