Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: O. T. Winter Olympics Beijing.
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 9, 2022 10:39

DandelionPowderman
ChrisL
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt
Here's an article from Yahoo Sports re: the Five Olympic skiers who were disqualified for baggy outfits. The interesting thing is that the suits these jumpers were wearing had apparently been cleared in earlier jump outings.

[sports.yahoo.com]

If they drink or eat too little their suits won't meet the requirements.

The violation is having a suit that is too big so more air flows through it, holding the jumper aloft for longer.

Indeed, but when they get too little time to eat and drink between their first and second jumps their suits get too big.

That's what happened to Halvor Granerud in the men's 90m competition.

They need new rules. Today's rules are unhealthy, imo.

Haha... You Norwegians only want to change the rules if it suits for ya... Namely, that of losing weight between the jumps seem to bother only Norwegians...grinning smiley

But I wonder what did the jumpers who were disqualified during the first round do in order to get their jumps in the second round qualified. Changed bigger outfit or ate a few pizzas... Japan almost got a bronze medal despite having one jump disqualified.

- Doxa

Date: February 9, 2022 10:49

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
ChrisL
DandelionPowderman
Sighunt
Here's an article from Yahoo Sports re: the Five Olympic skiers who were disqualified for baggy outfits. The interesting thing is that the suits these jumpers were wearing had apparently been cleared in earlier jump outings.

[sports.yahoo.com]

If they drink or eat too little their suits won't meet the requirements.

The violation is having a suit that is too big so more air flows through it, holding the jumper aloft for longer.

Indeed, but when they get too little time to eat and drink between their first and second jumps their suits get too big.

That's what happened to Halvor Granerud in the men's 90m competition.

They need new rules. Today's rules are unhealthy, imo.

Haha... You Norwegians only want to change the rules if it suits for ya... Namely, that of losing weight between the jumps seem to bother only Norwegians...grinning smiley

But I wonder what did the jumpers who were disqualified during the first round do in order to get their jumps in the second round qualified. Changed bigger outfit or ate a few pizzas... Japan almost got a bronze medal despite having one jump disqualified.

- Doxa

LOL, I'm serious. What they did between the rounds was exactly that: eat and drink more, to make their suits pass the check up.

They are pushing the thing with the suits to the extent that the sport becomes a lottery. Unfortunately, that goes for their weight, too.

We all remember the picture of Sven Hannawald some years back...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-09 10:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 9, 2022 11:19

Ski jumping is not a very healthy sport. You have to be small and extremely slim. It's almost to the limit of anorectic conditions.

Maren Lundby (Norway) is one of the world's best ski jumpers. She is not at the current Olympics, because she was told to loose weight, but she did not want to compromise with her body. As a Olympics god medal winner (2018), and several world cup and world championship god medals, she would have been a great competitor during these Olympics, but I respect her choice. She is choosing health before medals.

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-09 11:21 by bv.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 9, 2022 20:23

Men's hockey coming up now. I guess it will be a pretty even affair without the NHL players turning up. Maybe Finland will win in the end?
Coming up tomorrow in women's hockey quarterfinals: Canada - Sweden. My guess? 9-1 to Canada.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: February 10, 2022 00:15

Stoneage
Men's hockey coming up now. I guess it will be a pretty even affair without the NHL players turning up. Maybe Finland will win in the end?
Coming up tomorrow in women's hockey quarterfinals: Canada - Sweden. My guess? 9-1 to Canada.

The goalie for the women’s team, Ann-Renée Desbiens, has been stopping so many shots, she’s being referred to as The Great Wall. grinning smiley

Date: February 10, 2022 00:34

SomeTorontoGirl
Stoneage

The goalie for the women’s team, Ann-Renée Desbiens, has been stopping so many shots, she’s being referred to as The Great Wall. grinning smiley

When in China... Great name. I guess she will keep the Mongols out. 9-0 then to be on the safe side...

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 10, 2022 07:26

I love reading all these explanations about winter sports, especially skiing, about which I know next to nothing, despite having family members who are recreational skiers. I would never ever have guessed the stuff about the suits grinning smiley though it does make sense.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 10, 2022 18:12

SomeTorontoGirl
Stoneage

She seems to be. The Americans put over 50 shots on her. The American goalie looked like a statue out there, slow to react.

Date: February 10, 2022 18:14

Congrats to Therese Johaug on her second gold on 10 km. Finland's Kerttu Niskanen only 4/10 of a second behind her though. I don't know what's wrong with Frida Karlsson.
A pity though since she is the only Swede able to challenge Johaug. It is not boding well for the Swedish ski team (except on sprint).

Date: February 10, 2022 18:24

The Italians mixed doubles bulldozed everyone in their path. The Norwegians were no contest. Stefania Constantini is not only gorgeous, but an excellent curler. She should be a dominant force in Italy for years to come and I'm looking forward to seeing her play in the Winter Games in Italy in 2026.

Anyone know where you can buy the shirts worn by the Italians during the matches? Armani did the track outfits and capes but those prices are outrageous. I can't find any decent gear sellers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-10 18:26 by The Sicilian.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 10, 2022 19:07

Curling - always good looking women. And in slalom. And Therese Johaug and Frida Karlsson. They are everywhere! Well, anyway - did win some money thanks to Canada and USA today. A safe bet, I thought. And so it was. smiling smiley

Date: February 11, 2022 00:23

No interest whatsoever in the Olympics? Strange. Did the medals fail to arrive? Okay, I'll talk with myself then: Niels vad der Poel will be favorite tomorrow in 10 000 m speed skating. There has been a beef between Niels and the Dutch ice maker. I hope that has been sorted out tomorrow. Go Niels!

I think we can count out the Swedish cross-country ski team already now (except for sprint). Strange indeed. Didn't someone tell them about the special conditions in China? The same, probably, with the biathlon team. They might as well have stayed at home.

Date: February 11, 2022 00:23

No interest whatsoever in the Olympics? Strange. Did the medals fail to arrive? Okay, I'll talk with myself then: Niels vad der Poel will be favorite tomorrow in 10 000 m speed skating. There has been a beef between Niels and the Dutch ice maker. I hope that has been sorted out tomorrow. Go Niels!

I think we can count out the Swedish cross-country ski team already now (except for sprint). Strange indeed. Didn't someone tell them about the special conditions in China? The same, probably, with the biathlon team. They might as well have stayed at home.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 11, 2022 05:02

Stoneage

I'm sure I'm like most Canadians in that I'm following hockey and to a lesser extent curling. I have no idea who are in biathlon, cross country, etc. When the 2010 Olympics were here in Vancouver, all I remember is we won gold in hockey. I would have to google to see who else won medals.

Date: February 11, 2022 14:04

Winter sports are very popular in Norway, so like many other in my country, I do follow a lot of the Olympics competitions. The conditions are extreme, lots of wind and cold for the biathlon at times, and high altitude 1700 m (5600 ft), makes it tough, but so far the games have been fair. The strongest seems to get good results, they are probably better also under extreme conditions.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 11, 2022 14:15

Doxa

Well, we did get through with the rules of the clothing on the women's beachball-players, and most of the beachball-teams worldwide seems to appreciate that.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 11, 2022 16:56

They certainly have to contend with extreme conditions, and maybe some competitors who have been contenders for medals, just haven't delivered this time.
Been watching a lot of the competitions the last few days and although Team GB not got a medal yet, been great contests in so many winter sports.
My faves have been all types of skiing, all types of sliding, both types of speed skating, some of the ice hockey, small bits of curling, especially the women, as they are all so beautiful.
Probably missed a few sports, but probably most of them on my list.

Come on Team GB, I'm sure we will get a medal soon. thumbs up

Date: February 11, 2022 19:33

Stoneage

Well Canada beat Sweden 11-0 earlier today. I'm glad to see Canada doing so well but on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if this should even be an Olympic sport when I know it's going to be Canada vs US in the finals. Hopefully in the next 10 years the other countries will improve to make it more competitive.

Date: February 11, 2022 20:10

DGA35
Stoneage

Well Canada beat Sweden 11-0 earlier today. I'm glad to see Canada doing so well but on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if this should even be an Olympic sport when I know it's going to be Canada vs US in the finals. Hopefully in the next 10 years the other countries will improve to make it more competitive.

Yes, the Swedish team even has a negative trend. They are even worse now than what they used to be. I guess it's a money issue in the end.
They can't support themselves playing hockey. There is no incentive for them so they quit early to pursue studies or work.

Date: February 12, 2022 17:46

Stoneage
DGA35
Stoneage

Yes, the Swedish team even has a negative trend. They are even worse now than what they used to be. I guess it's a money issue in the end.
They can't support themselves playing hockey. There is no incentive for them so they quit early to pursue studies or work.

We got some compensation on ice in curling though. Both are curling teams won over Team Canada. Our men's curling team is looking very good. Four straight wins so far.

Date: February 12, 2022 20:10

Yes, the Canadian curling teams have been a bit of a disappointment so far, especially the mixed team! The mens hockey team lost to USA last night. I only recognize a few names on the team and the goaltending wasn't great. Looks like the gold medal could be won by any team this year!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 12, 2022 20:53

Haven't watched a minute of it. Apparently I'm not alone. The ratings in the US are at record lows. Next time the TV contracts come up, it could be a whole different ballgame.

Date: February 12, 2022 22:54

The time delay, tv losing to streaming and the upcoming Super Bowl might be an explanation. But generally I don't think winter sports are big in the U.S.. Except for X-games sports maybe.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 12, 2022 23:14

I'm not an ice hockey fan at all, coming from UK where it's very rare to see live games on TV, but was hooked this afternoon watching last half hour of Czech Republic v ROC.
Went to extra time I think, and the Czechs won 6-5 and total entertainment which could have gone either way. thumbs up

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 12, 2022 23:27

And I who live in Sweden and love winter sports, will stay up all night tomorrow - Super Bowl. One game each season - the final - is fine with me. It´s the only time they show NFL on tv over here, anyway. Run! smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2022 01:53

crholmstrom
Haven't watched a minute of it. Apparently I'm not alone. The ratings in the US are at record lows. Next time the TV contracts come up, it could be a whole different ballgame.

Yes, it's hard to know when games are happening with the huge time change. One difference between Canada and US is that in the states, NBC has the broadcast rights so the west coast and east coast feeds that I can see show the same thing. In Canada, CBC shows events as do TSN and Sportsnet so there's a lot more coverage for different events.
There has been some talk locally of people wanting to get the 2030 Winter games back in Vancouver. With all levels of government having record debts because of covid, that's the last thing we need.

Date: February 13, 2022 07:08

What does the "Norge" on Norway's hats mean? Is it just Norway in Norwegian?

Date: February 13, 2022 07:24

Stoneage

Nils van der Poel skated an outstanding race. He was a beast out there and looked like he was just gliding on air. I would have liked to see his speed in MPH. His brilliant run even inspired Davide Ghiotto of Italy to secure a spot on the podium with an impressive time himself. Not only was van der Poel skating sub 30 sec laps, he was getting faster as the race wore on. His fastest lap was his last lap at a blazing 28.6 seconds! What an amazing skater.

Date: February 13, 2022 08:42

The Sicilian

Yes. Norge is the name of our country in Norwegian.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 14, 2022 08:54

bv
The Sicilian

Yes. Norge is the name of our country in Norwegian.

So is Noreg Norway in Swedish?

I don't really understand the time difference issue with regard to the US, many of the most popular events are in prime time here, such as ice skating, and assorted skiing events. Plus curling. I'm no expert in any of the events, but have enjoyed watching them every evening.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2031
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home