Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: O. T. Winter Olympics Beijing.
Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 14, 2022 09:23

Norway have more than one language.
Norge is the main "bokmål" name of our country.
Noreg is the name in "nynorsk" i.e. countryside language.

Bjornulf

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 14, 2022 10:08

Aquamarine
bv
The Sicilian
What does the "Norge" on Norway's hats mean? Is it just Norway in Norwegian?

Yes. Norge is the name of our country in Norwegian.

So is Noreg Norway in Swedish?

I don't really understand the time difference issue with regard to the US, many of the most popular events are in prime time here, such as ice skating, and assorted skiing events. Plus curling. I'm no expert in any of the events, but have enjoyed watching them every evening.

Many events occur overnight in North America or late at night. I just watched the Canada women's hockey game which started at 7pm west coast time. On the east coast, this game would be starting at 10pm. Most of the morning/afternoon Olympic coverage in Canada is showing repeats of events that happened overnight.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 14, 2022 10:58

bv
Norway have more than one language.
Norge is the main "bokmål" name of our country.
Noreg is the name in "nynorsk" i.e. countryside language.

I had no clue, this is fascinating info, thank you.

Date: February 14, 2022 12:46

The China Olympics broadcasts start 2am in Norway, with curling, ice hockey and other not so interesting sports for us. That is early morning 9am in Beijing, and the other areas where these sports are (Yanqing and Zhangjiakou). Then we get the more interesting biathlon, cross country skiing and ski jumping at our prime time, which is 8am to 2pm. Even if that is working hours in Norway, work comes second during the Olympics in Norway. For us it is like having Superbowl or the FA Cup Final every day, great and interesting competitions every day.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 14, 2022 13:15

Ice hockey suffers from the lack of NHL players, but at the same time it is a great chance to other (mostly KHL) players to shine, and a tournament is always a tournament, medals are medals, etc. But I'd like to point out one specific player from Team Slovakia. 17 years old Juraj Slafkovsky is the youngest player in the games, but he has been terrific: four goals in three games, and in a pretty minimal role (no power play, etc.). He scored all the Slovakian goals (3) against Finland and Sweden.

I've been following the dude for some time, since he has played the last two years in my favourite Finnish club, TPS from Turku. He hasn't scored that much yet in Finnish league, since they've been coaching him to be a better over-all player, etc. but he is is a helluva talent. He is damn big guy (over 1.9m and 100 kgs), a Jagr-type player - created to small rings of NHL. He will be drafted next summer (top five), and I am sure the NHL team to get him will be lucky. A NHL star class player soon.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-14 13:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 14, 2022 18:02

Here in UK,BBC live coverage starts about 1am,but I catch up with it all the next late morning and afternoon on a couple of TV channels on BBC.
Just had knee op recently so don't feel guilty lazing around channel hopping on the TV.
I'm out once a day for exercise etc. but hoping I will be able to do more fairly soon.

Still no medal for Team GB, but enjoying the highlights of many varied winter sports. smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: February 14, 2022 22:25

Congrats to Røiseland for her second gold. Elvira Öberg at least got the silver. I hope Ingrid Tandrevold is doing well also. I feel sorry for her. I think Frida Karlsson and Hanna Öberg are out of the competition.
They didn't cope with the conditions in China. Maybe Ebba Andersson can reach a silver or bronze on 30 km. Looking forward to the last week of the games. Norway in top of the medal table as expected.
21 medals including 9 in gold. Sweden on 6th place with 11 medals including 5 in gold.

Date: February 15, 2022 13:20

Norway won 3 gold medals and 2 silver in 4 different competitions today. What an amazing and nerve wrecking morning.

First Mons Røisland won silver medal in men's snowboard big air.
Then Norway won team gold medal in a crazy biathlon men's relay.
Shortly after the Norway speed skating men's team won the gold medal.
Finally Norway won gold and silver in the Nordic Combination with Jørgen Graabak and Jens Lurås Oftebro.

The Nordic Combined competition do need an extra mention. World's best Nordic Combined skier Jarl Magnus Riiber tested positive for Covid-19 upon arrival to Beijing, and has been in isolation in his hotel room for 12 days. Yesterday he was out of isolation following two negative tests, then he made a test jump in the large ski jumping hill same day yesterday. Today he won the ski jumping part of the combination with a record jump of 142 m. He started first at the 10 km skiing part, 44 seconds ahead of number two. Then he made a wrong turn at the first of four skiing rounds, and lost more than half a minute. Soon after he earned that 12 days in the hotel room with covid-19, is not ideal, he lost some more time on the 4th of the 4 rounds, and made it to the 8th position eventually. Congratulations to Riiber, I am not sure if he is disappointed or happy, at least two of his team mates from Norway made it into gold and silver medals.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-15 13:43 by bv.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 15, 2022 17:21

bv
The China Olympics broadcasts start 2am in Norway, with curling, ice hockey and other not so interesting sports for us. That is early morning 9am in Beijing, and the other areas where these sports are (Yanqing and Zhangjiakou). Then we get the more interesting biathlon, cross country skiing and ski jumping at our prime time, which is 8am to 2pm. Even if that is working hours in Norway, work comes second during the Olympics in Norway. For us it is like having Superbowl or the FA Cup Final every day, great and interesting competitions every day.

What? You don't like curling? Norway is getting very good at it. I loved the mixed doubles with Italy. Have you ever tried curling BV?

Date: February 15, 2022 17:24

Doxa
Ice hockey suffers from the lack of NHL players, but at the same time it is a great chance to other (mostly KHL) players to shine, and a tournament is always a tournament, medals are medals, etc. But I'd like to point out one specific player from Team Slovakia. 17 years old Juraj Slafkovsky is the youngest player in the games, but he has been terrific: four goals in three games, and in a pretty minimal role (no power play, etc.). He scored all the Slovakian goals (3) against Finland and Sweden.

I've been following the dude for some time, since he has played the last two years in my favourite Finnish club, TPS from Turku. He hasn't scored that much yet in Finnish league, since they've been coaching him to be a better over-all player, etc. but he is is a helluva talent. He is damn big guy (over 1.9m and 100 kgs), a Jagr-type player - created to small rings of NHL. He will be drafted next summer (top five), and I am sure the NHL team to get him will be lucky. A NHL star class player soon.

- Doxa

I remember watching Slovakia last week in one of their first games on TV (maybe Canada) and they showed the bench and there was one of our great defensive players and iron man (consecutive games played) for the Buffalo Sabres the head coach Craig Ramsey. I was shocked to see him there.

Date: February 15, 2022 18:43

Curling is an interesting sport, but we mostly watch it during the Winter Olympics in Norway. You need an ice rink with curling tracks, and those are very few in Norway. Actually I did play curling myself from the late 60's, in our own ice rink Askerhallen, but when it burned down, and was rebuilt, around 1972, they built it without curling tracks.

I think we have just a few rinks with curling tracks on Norway, so it is impressing that we won the olympics silver medal in curling mixed double last week. Our curling men are ranked number seven in the world, they do not play that great in the current olympics, but it is still interesting to follow the games.

The problem with curling, in my opinion, is that you need access to tracks, you need curling stones, and it is not that easy for kids, while anyone may get skies and do cross country skiing all winter, which a lot do in Norway, including myself.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 15, 2022 19:01

bv
Curling is an interesting sport, but we mostly watch it during the Winter Olympics in Norway. You need an ice rink with curling tracks, and those are very few in Norway. Actually I did play curling myself from the late 60's, in our own ice rink Askerhallen, but when it burned down, and was rebuilt, around 1972, they built it without curling tracks.

I think we have just a few rinks with curling tracks on Norway, so it is impressing that we won the olympics silver medal in curling mixed double last week. Our curling men are ranked number seven in the world, they do not play that great in the current olympics, but it is still interesting to follow the games.

The problem with curling, in my opinion, is that you need access to tracks, you need curling stones, and it is not that easy for kids, while anyone may get skies and do cross country skiing all winter, which a lot do in Norway, including myself.

Yes. This is a problem with many of the Olympic sports. Such a small percentage of people that actually play some of these sports, it makes me wonder how competitive it really is. Think of the number of people (kids included) that play soccer, baseball, basketball, golf... Then think of how many have EVER curled in their lives. Same with the luge, syncronized swimming...

And 90% of the curlers are from Canada. Seems pretty exclusive to Canada.

My uncle is the best Hobie 17 (catamaran) racer in history (almost 70 and still winning world titles) and no one has heard of him, and he had to have a real job. Unfortunately, some of the most elite athletes will never get widespread recognition due to interest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-15 19:22 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: February 15, 2022 19:15

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-15 21:01 by Stoneage.

Date: February 15, 2022 21:26

NashvilleBlues
bv

Yes. This is a problem with many of the Olympic sports. Such a small percentage of people that actually play some of these sports, it makes me wonder how competitive it really is. Think of the number of people (kids included) that play soccer, baseball, basketball, golf... Then think of how many have EVER curled in their lives. Same with the luge, syncronized swimming...

And 90% of the curlers are from Canada. Seems pretty exclusive to Canada.

My uncle is the best Hobie 17 (catamaran) racer in history (almost 70 and still winning world titles) and no one has heard of him, and he had to have a real job. Unfortunately, some of the most elite athletes will never get widespread recognition due to interest.

Yes, I'm sure a vast majority of curlers are from Canada. I mentioned a couple pages back how every small town in Canada has an arena and a curling rink! Despite this, our mixed team went from gold medal to not even making it out of the round robin. Jennifer Jones, who is our women's team, went undefeated in 2014 to get gold and now she will have difficulty making it out of the round robin!

Date: February 15, 2022 21:41

Okay, hockey time. Quarterfinals coming up tomorrow or tonight depending on time zone:

Quarterfinals bracket:

#1 USA vs. #8 Slovakia
#2 Finland vs. #10 Switzerland
#3 ROC vs. #6 Denmark
#4 Sweden vs. #5 Canada

ROC are defending champions since 2018. Tough one to call this time around. I'm sure there will be an upset or two.
Denmark sending out Czechia was already one in Round Robin. Some pressure on our coach Johan Garpenlöv who has
to win in order not to finish as a failure (his last tournament as head coach for Tre Kronor).

Anyone up for predictions?

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 15, 2022 21:59

Yes, I´m up.

USA
Finland
ROC
Canada.

smiling smiley

Date: February 15, 2022 22:06

Stoneage
Okay, hockey time. Quarterfinals coming up tomorrow or tonight depending on time zone:

Quarterfinals bracket:

#1 USA vs. #8 Slovakia
#3 ROC vs. #6 Denmark
#4 Sweden vs. #5 Canada

ROC are defending champions since 2018. Tough one to call this time around. I'm sure there will be an upset or two.
Denmark sending out Czechia was already one in Round Robin. Some pressure on our coach Johan Garpenlöv who has
to win in order not to finish as a failure (his last tournament as head coach for Tre Kronor).

Very tough to call this year. I'm sure we'll see at least one upset. I'm cheering for Canada but I only know a couple players on the team.

Date: February 15, 2022 23:06

Stoneage

Quarterfinals bracket:

#1 USA vs. #8 Slovakia
#3 ROC vs. #6 Denmark
#4 Sweden vs. #5 Canada

Unlike in women's ice hockey, the marginals are small, and anything can happen.

A few thoughts about the teams.

ROC is the strongest on a paper, but Russians are infamous for not able to realize their potential. But what is interesting is that they have more bigger and rougher players than usual. Still a lot of talent, but they didn't try to make a dream team of the best KHL players, but more like a strong and cohesive team. That might work out, since the classical skilful Russians hockey might not survive that well in a small rink.

USA is based mostly on young university players, and they are looking for another 'Miracle On Ice'. They have been splendid so far, having the best boogie going on, so they might have a chance to win something big. But still it will be a big surprise, and I wouldn't put my money on their gold.

Canada is the team suffering most having not players from NHL. A bit of odd collection of players from here and there, but if they get the right feel, and having that Canadian proudness, who knows what might happen. They have the ability to win the big games. Probably having that 'extra' game against China might work their cohesion, but I predict Sweden and their tempo will be a shock for them in quarter-finals.

Sweden is very well constructed as a team and from strong, rough players fitting for a small rink. A lot of experience. I predict them making the final. They were damn fast and strong against Finland in the first two periods.

Finland has never been such a strong Olympic gold candidate as now. A lot of experience, and a team full of KHL star-class players, including their first line having played together for two years in their team UFA. As usual, Finland is the best coached team. The strongest winner candidate in my book. Slightly.

Slovakia will get all my sympathy. They play fresh, active hockey, but unfortunately the player material does not quite meet the standards of the strongest teams in a tournament. But they will have a good chance in a quarter final against USA, since 'boyish' USA is pretty unpredictable.

Switzerland started the games not that well, but won a big game against Czechia (who, to be fair, were not that impressive this time, like for some time). Win the right games, right? However, on a paper they can't match with the strongest teams, and they have difficulties to apply their European style 'slow' hockey to the demands of a small rink. Them kicking out Finland in quarter finals would be the biggest surprise in this games.

Denmark is the joker there. They probably already have surpassed all their expectations. ROC will be too much, no matter how well they defense themselves.

So my predictions go:
Gold: Finland
Silver: Sweden
Bronze: ROC (winning USA in a bronze game)

But like said, the differences are marginal and anything can happen in one game play-offs.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-15 23:17 by Doxa.

Date: February 16, 2022 08:50

DGA35
Stoneage

Quarterfinals bracket:

#1 USA vs. #8 Slovakia
#3 ROC vs. #6 Denmark
#4 Sweden vs. #5 Canada

Very tough to call this year. I'm sure we'll see at least one upset. I'm cheering for Canada but I only know a couple players on the team.

Well congrats to Slovakia for beating the US. Slovak goalie was really good in the shootout and made a key save with just a couple seconds left in overtime!

Date: February 16, 2022 08:57

Wow! That was the first big surprise in ice-hockey quarter-finals! So happy for Slovakia. The teenager Slafkovsky scored also
again, his fifth goal in the tournament.

- Doxa

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 16, 2022 11:12

Why, Slovakia? Just seconds left of the third period...Sometimes it´s hard to be a gambling, rambling, betting man...But now Finland and Canada will put a smile on my face again... smiling smiley cool smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 16, 2022 11:59

Watching the skiing Team Sprint races on UK TV, and really enjoying what's been on live coverage this morning.
Our last real hope of a medal apart from curling was with Dave Ryding in one of the slalom events, but he didn't do so good.

Our men and women in the curling are both in semi finals I think, but 15-20 minutes watching it in one go is enough, whoever is competing.

Still love to see some really great achievements from the Nordic countries mainly and great entertainment for us people who love sport. smileys with beer

Date: February 16, 2022 13:27

So, ROC and Finland made it to semifinals, although both games were pretty tight. I personally underestimated the quality of Switzerland. The numbers (5-1) doesn't sound fair at all (two last ones went into an empty net, and Switzerland won the shots, etc). A bit disappointed to Finland's game. It will come an interesting semi-final between Finland and Slovakia.

So Sweden-Canada left. As I told earlier, I think Sweden is stronger team, but Canada is always Canada, full of spirit and attitude. Damn I can't see the game. The winner will face ROC in semi-finals. That will be another helluva match.

But now women's bronze game, Finland and Switzerland again.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-16 13:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: jenyk ()
Date: February 16, 2022 14:31

I hope Slovakia will have their own Nagano!!! SLOVENSKO, DO TOHO!!!

Date: February 16, 2022 15:52

Finland won bronze in women's ice hockey (4-0 against Switzerland). That was a great achievement for them, since they had a lot of difficulties before and in the beginning of the tournament (odd player choices by the coach, media crap, and then the coach leaving the team, some corona shit, a humilating loss against Canada and whatever).

However, as pointed out in this thread, the differences in quality between the teams are horrible in women's ice hockey. Finland is clearly the third best country in the hockey world. They were as clearly superior to Switzerland (or Russia earlier) as USA was in semifinals against them. And Canada is in a totally different level now (I don't think USA will have much chance in the final). The evolution of the game seems to make the differences just bigger, unfortunately.

- Doxa

Date: February 16, 2022 17:45

How are the rules in women's ice hockey? Do they allow body tackles, like with men's ice hockey? I have not seen many games, but I saw a bit recently, I think it was USA in the game, and there they gave a 2 min penalty for what I thought was just a normal person to person tackle.

I am not a fan of fights and crazy tackles, like you see some times in NHL, but if it is like bandy rules, or kids rules, it is a different game.

Bjornulf

Date: February 16, 2022 17:46

Sweden eliminates Canada with a 2 - 0 shutout. Will it be Sweden vs. Slovakia for the gold medal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-02-16 17:49 by The Sicilian.

Date: February 16, 2022 18:01

BV: No, tackles are not allowed in women's hockey. Maybe it will be in the future but it makes space for a more open game. And as a bonus less injuries.

About Sweden-Canada: A defensive, even game. Could have gone either way. One mistake made the difference. Not a great game but a nail biter!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 16, 2022 18:02

Bjornulf, I found this about women's hockey:

"Though most rules cover both tournaments, one major difference between men’s and women’s hockey is the amount of body contact that is allowed. Notably, “body checking” has been prohibited from the women’s game since the 1992 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship. “Body contact” is still allowed, but it is up to the officials to regulate based on IIHF rules."

[www.nbcsports.com]

Does that help?

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 17, 2022 08:36

Congratulations to Team Canada women's hockey team for winning the Gold medal in a great game vs the US. 2021 World Champions and now 2022 Olympic Gold Medalists!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2221
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home