Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Rolling Stones Albums vs. Beatles Albums Discussion [PART III]
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: December 21, 2021 22:53

The Rolling Stones, Now! and A Hard Day's Night

This is the first time where the Stones make a ton of progress in catching up to the overall quality of The Beatles' albums. Still, going with A Hard Day's Night as the overall better album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-22 22:55 by JordyLicks96.

Re: Rolling Stones Albums vs. Beatles Albums Discussion [PART III]
Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 21, 2021 23:06

Now vs A Hard Days Night ?
In my opinion, Now is the strongest of the first 3 US Stones albums by quite a considerable distance. With the exception of Surprise Surprise and Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, I like pretty much everything on this one. Heart Of Stone is the first really great Jagger / Richards number. It’s so good it actually sounds like it must be a cover. Proof that little by little (!), they were beginning to understand songwriting and how they needed to approach it to meet the group’s needs and identity.
None of the other 3 originals come close to that standard. The covers are almost uniformly excellent save for the opener which has embarrassingly woeful backing vocals, not for the first time.
I remember hearing that for the first time when I was a kid and thinking how bad those vocals were.
The problem is (in this thread), it’s up against the last and best of the Fab4’s girl group with knobs on trilogy. 13 Lennon-McCartney numbers with the band at peak mop top. The LP is dominated by Lennon who probably never sang this good again over an album. McCartney and Harrison’s backing vocals are perfect. George introduces the 12 string Rickenbacker and the songwriting has matured thoroughly since With The Beatles.
Having said that the LP is dominated by Lennon, McCartney “only” chips in with Can’t Buy Me Love, And I Love Her and Things We Said Today. Classics he still plays live. A Hard Days Night itself, If I Fell, You Can’t Do That… This album is a pop masterpiece.

Easy win for the mop heads but you can hear the progression in the Stones. The Beatles are about to release two of their weakest LP’s so this could get interesting (unless you already hate the mop tops and all they stand for).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 21, 2021 23:07

The Beatles win again with an album made up of 100% original and highly influential tunes that changed the course of rock and roll history.
I love the Stones' covers of Mona, Little Red Rooster, and the other covers (who doesn't ?), but only a couple are as good (or better) as the original versions imo.
The Stones' originals of Heart of Stone and Off the Hook are top notch, but alas not enough to surpass the Beatles all around brilliance of a 100% original album - and that's not to mention the impact the movie had.

As it stands: Beatles 3, Stones 0

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 21, 2021 23:09

Beatles take this round hands down for me.
This stones release seems cobbled together.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 21, 2021 23:22

Red Roosters .,... Catch Me
Shame .... Mona rumble .. Heart ..
Hooks ... Pain soul Down Home Gal ... knock out Down The Road ....

But what can a derelict boy do
'cept ta play thee greatest R&B band ever .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 22, 2021 01:22

The Stones one is a great one. The another one belongs to ones with I like to spend time on elevators (hope not) . Although there I prefer Abba (with a mile).

- Doxa, a deep Muddy Waters and a Rolling Stones fan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-22 01:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 22, 2021 01:27

By a landslide, A Hard Day’s Night.

Date: December 22, 2021 01:30

Paddy

Like all the pre-Satanic Majesty’s U.S. releases.

Date: December 22, 2021 01:41

Abba is much better than the Beatles. If the point is catchy song-writing. And what goes for true musical advendturism, progression, expression and genius (good old time Beatlelogist bullshit to praise the gods), try Hendrix, Zappa or Pink Floyd, for god sake. And stop that pop bullshit. For example, in sweet elevator sing-along 'pop rock', Queen is much better in it, like the people listening music nowadays know.

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-22 01:55 by Doxa.

Date: December 22, 2021 02:02

Yeah that's what it was like down here ...

Girls.. grannies and all the goody two shoes had a mop top album...

The outcasts and bohemians all had albums by the Stones -- Greatest R&B band in the world

ROCKMAN

Date: December 22, 2021 02:17

Rockman

The outcasts and bohemians all had albums by the Stones -- Greatest R&B band in the world

Yeah, and that made Lennon bitter. He knew that the Stones were always much cooler. And dug by much cooler folks. They were not any cheap pop stars, but true counter revolution heroes. Not something loved by anyone. Listening to those early albums one can hear the difference. The Beatles albums are easy-listening pop, while the Stones albums are bad-ass R&B stuff, Those bastards of Muddy Waters, with the middle ginger towards any tradition of easy-listening pop music...

- Doxa

Date: December 22, 2021 02:24

Yeah was listening to some old radio
interview with Keef the other day and he
said how he and John hung out quite a bit
and hed often tell Keef how he wished he was in The Stones ....

Thats good ta know aint it ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 22, 2021 02:49

Big Al
Paddy

Yeah, but a cobbled together album is better than none...these days all they can muster up is a single tune.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 22, 2021 03:01

Lol

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 22, 2021 03:15

Beatles win again - unified sound and top notch writing. Stones album is too patchy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 22, 2021 06:33

Obviously AHDN had two gargantuan hit singles on it but it's a bit flat.

NOW is a much more solid LP, overall.

Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-25 02:09 by GasLightStreet.

Date: December 22, 2021 11:37

Hairball
Big Al
Paddy

Yeah, but a cobbled together album is better than none...these days all they can muster up is a single tune.

A valid point thumbs up

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 22, 2021 15:51

Doxa
Rockman

Yeah, and that made Lennon bitter. He knew that the Stones were always much cooler. And dug by much cooler folks. They were not any cheap pop stars, but true counter revolution heroes. Not something loved by anyone. Listening to those early albums one can hear the difference. The Beatles albums are easy-listening pop, while the Stones albums are bad-ass R&B stuff, Those bastards of Muddy Waters, with the middle ginger towards any tradition of easy-listening pop music...

- Doxa

So interesting watching "GET BACK", in episode 2 Lennon is constantly referring to his upcoming role on Rock and Roll Circus. He clearly is excited by it and I admit may reading a bit into it but nervous maybe. It keeps coming up amidst all the talk of their own band 'breaking up'.

A really great behind the scenes...would have been amazing to get a Stones version say during Exile.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: December 22, 2021 16:11

Doxa
Yeah, and that made Lennon bitter. He knew that the Stones were always much cooler. And dug by much cooler folks.
- Doxa
How do you know that? Did you talk with John about this?

Date: December 22, 2021 17:38

Boognish
Doxa
Yeah, and that made Lennon bitter. He knew that the Stones were always much cooler. And dug by much cooler folks.
- Doxa
How do you know that? Did you talk with John about this?

Doxa, of course, doesn’t know the intricacies of Lennon’s inner-feelings, though it is very well known that he disliked Epstein’s decision for them to wear matching outfits, whereas, of course, the Stones didn’t. It was all marketing. Oldham wanted thff Ed m to be the antithesis of the Beatles; and everyone else! In fact, The Rolling Stones May have been the very-first group you not do so. I know they did initially have the waistcoats and houndstooth jackets for a while in ‘63!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 22, 2021 18:21

Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

Rubbish. "Coolness" lies in the eyes of the beholder. Both bands are/were unique in their very own ways, but maybe you are too young to know.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 22, 2021 20:09

Getting a little tougher, Beatles' Hard Day's Night is a very good album...

Hard Day's Night, Should Have Known Better, Tell Me Why, I'll Cry Instead ... are all pretty nice songs. Plus it has some of my Beatle favorites:
- If I Fell
- And I Love Her
- Can't Buy Me Love

And a couple clunkers: Happy Just To Dance, I'll Be Back.

BUT!! Stone prevail again, with a top notch piece of brilliance! Nothing on the Beatles can touch Down Home Girl, Mona, Down the Road, Little Red Rooster.

Stones 3, Beatles 0

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 23, 2021 06:23

retired_dog
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

Rubbish. "Coolness" lies in the eyes of the beholder. Both bands are/were unique in their very own ways, but maybe you are too young to know.

Not rubbish.I lived in Berkeley, NYC, Ann Arbor and Boston during the mid 60's thru the mid 70's. The Stones were always the cool band. The Beatles were " My Aunt Elsie likes them". Of course John was bitter/jealous.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 23, 2021 06:54

MKjan
retired_dog
Doxa
Rockman

- Doxa

Not rubbish.I lived in Berkeley, NYC, Ann Arbor and Boston during the mid 60's thru the mid 70's. The Stones were always the cool band. The Beatles were " My Aunt Elsie likes them". Of course John was bitter/jealous.

thumbs up

Date: December 23, 2021 07:20

The Stones were always the cool band.
The Beatles were " My Aunt Elsie likes them"

Hey man ya got it .....

ROCKMAN

Date: December 23, 2021 11:31

A Hard Day's Night is my favourite Beatles-album, not a weak track on it.

I like Now, but come on! smiling smiley

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 23, 2021 13:24

Rolling Stones Now only has 4 Jagger/Richards tracks and 2 of those are 12 bar tunes. Hard Day's Night on the other hand has 13 Beatle penned tracks which use some sophisticated songwriting techniques such as modal interchange.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: December 23, 2021 13:43

Now! for sure! I love that album. It's better than 12x5, December's Children and Out of our heads in my opinion. Realy catchy songs there. Quality of recording also improved over the first two albums. And then the songs.. Off the Hook, Down Home Girls, Heart of Stone, What a Shame, You can't catch me, Down the Road Apiece, little Red Rooster...hot smiley True, not all of them are Jagger/Richards compositions, but a song is good or it's not. No matter who wrote it.

A hard days night is not bad either of course, but the only two songs I really like are I should've known better and Can't buy me love. The rest of them is descent. But still very early Beatles stuff and I prefer early Stones over early Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-23 13:47 by ribbelchips.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 24, 2021 03:41

Rockman
The Stones were always the cool band.
The Beatles were " My Aunt Elsie likes them"

Hey man ya got it .....

Thanks Rockman, I lived it. I'm speaking to the truth.

Date: December 24, 2021 03:50

Same here .... Grandmother Rebecca
liked Beatles ... thought The Stones were creeps .....

Strange thing is that her maiden name was Stoneman .... true

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1926
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home