Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Are the Stones giving enough for the money and loyalty?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 15, 2005 15:53

When the stones announced the tour this year Mick Jagger said that they would work really hard this time around to put on a great show especially with the high ticket prices people are paying. I've seen every tour since 1975 and I must say that the show is getting stale and needs to be refreshed. Its the same old set of less than 2 hours and 21 or 22 songs. And since most shows are stadium events (which I despise) the set lists are basically the same tour after tour.

How many times do we need to hear the same old big anthems. It has become disappointing to many. A lot of people who review stones shows are just cheerleaders who are satisfied just seeing them. Don't get me wrong I fall into that category too but a want more. This is a band with a song catalog of over 40 years of music. Oh yea they always sprinke in a couple different songs but it is very limited and too predictable.

This really bothered me when I saw the Paul McCartney set list. I am not comparing Beatles to Stones but show to show. First the stones should be playing 2 1/2 hours or more and should highlight all their eras of music. They have many ballads and slow songs that could allow them to take a breather. Also the have many 2 to 3 minute early hits that could be included to make the show more interesting. And how about all the cuts off the albums that we all love but never get played. Mick always says that in a stadium show most people come the hear the big hits so we can't dissappoint them. Well what about the rest of us? The hell with the stadiums, play more arenas and theatres. Or is it only about the money? These 1 hour 45 minute shows are not worth these prices. 43 years of music and this is all they can come up with tour after tour. The prices have risen for tickets dramatically but the show remains the same.

The Sicilian

Re: Are the Stones giving enough for the money and loyalty?
Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:36

If I could stick a knife in my heart, spill it all over the stage, would it be enough for your cheating heart, would it help you ease the pain.....?

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:43

Sicilian,
I agree with you and that is why after 35 years of seeing them as much as possible I am done. It is sadly all about the money for them and I think everyone knows it. In 35 years I have never read so many bad reviews for a tour and trust me I have read some nasty ones in the past, just not as many as this tour. And the complaints are usually all the same so we are not the only ones that feel this way.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:46

I have never read any really bad review to this tour:

Only some hardcore fans complaining that they donĀ“t play Gomper or Citadel...

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:47

Off the record:

Sicilians, money and loyalty. I love the combination.

"Areh thee Stones giving enoughe foreh the monney andeh thee loyalty?"

grinning smiley

Re: yes! yes! yes!
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:51

>> Are the Stones giving enough for the money and loyalty? <<

yes.
the joy wants to grow - that's what it's for.
let's see what *we* can do to make the world a more beautiful place, shall we?

[rapidshare.de]
(Bent Green Needles backing track, december 71, Sunset Sound Studio, LA)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: November 15, 2005 16:52

marquess,
did you see the reviews for the Hollywood Bowl first night, Seattle, Giants Stadium, Hartford, Boston. Those all came from papers that were the most read in each area. Not that I really care what critics write but this time they happened to mention points I have made here as well as many others about the set lists and running through the motions types of performances. Usually or in the last several years these papers would just praise the Stones no matter what they did.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: November 15, 2005 16:58

J-J-Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> marquess,
> did you see the reviews for the Hollywood Bowl
> first night, Seattle, Giants Stadium, Hartford,
> Boston. Those all came from papers that were the
> most read in each area. Not that I really care
> what critics write but this time they happened to
> mention points I have made here as well as many
> others about the set lists and running through the
> motions types of performances. Usually or in the
> last several years these papers would just praise
> the Stones no matter what they did.

None of those papers gave anything near "narty" reviews. Not Hilburn, not anyone. From what I've been reading here, it seems that only your angry lynch mob of co-workers was nasty. And you got embarrassed/disappointed or something.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 15, 2005 17:00

Blablabla I'm getting tired of the same posts everyday. So here's something new:

It's a really big picture of 2 drinking zebra's. What do you think of zebra's? I mean, I think they're ok. But I was never really interessted in them... I don't know why. Probably because they're just horses with black and white stripes.

Date: November 15, 2005 17:13

Are they black with white stripes or white with black stripes?

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: November 15, 2005 17:13

I do not know what people expect. But I have a slight feeling that the ones who would give the least are expecting the most....

Date: November 15, 2005 17:34

Some Girl,
I said that I have read some nasty reviews in the PAST, I was referring to mostly the 70s shows, 75, 76 and 78 I remember in particular. The trend this tour has mostly been positive but the same complaints many people make here about set lists have also been made in the papers.

Date: November 15, 2005 17:37

OK, but it just seemed that you took a particularly demanding group of people who hated the show or something, and since then you have said that most people are very negative, which just isn't true. But anyway, I get what you're saying.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 15, 2005 17:40

The Stones are the greatest.

Zebras are cool. Just look at the way they practice the ancient art of weaving.
It is hard to tell where one begins and the other one ends.

I took the kids to the Detroit Zoo last Saturday. We saw two Zebras "doing it".
I told the kids that they were fighting.

Date: November 15, 2005 17:41

Some Girl, I was just upset that people I went to the show with and that sat around me were bummed by the show, myself being a long time fan. The people I went with are not demanding, they are fans of bands like the Dead and Black Crows and would have been happy if the Stones came on a small stage with no fireworks or lighting features. For the most part they thought the show was ok, but thought it was the same exact thing as last time around, with 4 different songs in the set.

Re: hail hail Rolling Stones!
Date: November 15, 2005 17:47

sweet photo, Reptile!
i dreamed about a horse with zebra stripes last night.
i was really happy to see something so strange and beautiful!
i was running alongside it for a while, just admiring it;
then when i started outrunning it, it growled at me. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: November 15, 2005 19:00

A Zebra...uhm...huh...huh...uhm...eer...huh..huh....a zebra....cool...huh....huh...

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 15, 2005 19:08

which show had zebras on the stage??? i don't remember this?

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 15, 2005 19:16

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> which show had zebras on the stage??? i don't
> remember this?

J.J....the Zebras were on the "Z" stage entertaining the Lions

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: November 15, 2005 19:19

they didn't have a z stage in chicago! as usual, i get f-ed!

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: November 15, 2005 20:26

Sicilian:

I'm right there with you. The Stones sound great. The (same old, for the most part) songs sound great...but save for a few tweaks here and there, we have seen all this before.

And that's a shame, because they remain mighty and they have a lot more to offer than they do within the format of these shows.

It's always going to be an exciting event when the Stones are playing. That tiny, twenty-one song slice of their career that they offer up from the stage can represent one's deeper and more wide-ranging private listening experiences. Then, after "Brown Sugar" and "Satisfaction" one can jump back into the car and put on "Dance Little Sister" and "She Was Hot" and "Mona." That's the moment to reflect with renewed passion on all the great records these guys have made and what a vast and interesting body of work it truly is.

I have seen two shows on this tour. It's always a rush. But do I want to make the push to go to Memphis to see another? Or to my favorite venue, Madison Square Garden?

It's a dilemma--especially at these prices. And I wish that wasn't the case...

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 15, 2005 20:35

Zebras are cool. They should open for the White Stripes, because both are white and both contain stripes.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: November 15, 2005 20:38

oh, now i get the connection Reptile....Zee-Bras (as in the bras that used to come off at a Stones show)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-15 20:38 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: Ged Rambler ()
Date: November 15, 2005 20:46

Here we go again - another boring thread by people who's sole aim in life is to moan & groan & basically piss the majority of us off.

These are no doubt the same people who'll be cryin into their beer when its finally announced that they're quitting touring.

You've chosen to support the worlds biggest act - top act = top buck,its as simple as that - what would you have them do - come in at prices under the likes of Robbie williams?

The tour reviews are almost all good/brilliant,Jagger is by all accounts on fire & who gives a shit if Keef & Ronnie are'nt what they used to be,maybe those old fingers are gettin a little overworked.

Ok.you maybe can't afford to go to multiple shows,be content with a couple like most of us.

But,if you're still not happy - go to the zoo & watch the zebras - it's cheaper.

Date: November 15, 2005 21:21

Ged Rambler,
To me the person who posted this thread (whether you agree with his opinion or not) has much more to say than someone like you. This person simply expressed an honest opinion. Much more interesting than someone who bitches about someone they don't even know saying their purpose in life is to moan and piss people off. If you are going to respond write something worthwhile.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:37

I have checked Ticketmaster and the official RS.COM site for a floor plan of the United Center and cannot find the "Z" stage ANYWHERE.
WTF.
I hope someone can help.

Date: November 15, 2005 22:36

Ged Rambler:

Oooops. Sorry.

PAR-TAY!

Thanks for helping me understand the Stones.

Date: November 15, 2005 22:39

Oooops. Sorry.

PAR-TAY!

Thanks for helping me understand the Stones.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: November 15, 2005 22:47

Zebras can be classified into three species and several subspecies.

* Plains Zebra (Equus burchelli)
o Grant's Zebra
o Crawshay's Zebra
o Upper Zambezi Zebra
o Chapman's Zebra
o Damara Zebra
o Burchell's zebra (extinct)
o Quagga (extinct)
* Grevy's Zebra (Equus greyvi)
* Mountain Zebra (Equus zebra)
o Cape Mountain Zebra
o Hartmann's Mountain Zebra

After all this you may say- I'd like a Zebra of my own!

Well, the easiest way is to go to a store and buy one. Unfortunately, this only works for stuffed animal/figurine/picture variety. On the good side, this variety of zebra doesn't each much or have many expenses. On the bad side, this isn't what most people are interested in. Also, remember that zebras are herding creatures; you should never buy just one.

That aside, I know of people who own zebras in a private setting. If started at a young age, they can be tamed and can even be ridden like a horse. However, zebras are herding creatures. Is it really fair to have just one zebra?

If you feel it is... Mr. Audren Garrett, of Springfield, Missouri, has a ranch with about 60 zebras. He sells both adult and young zebras. He can be contacted by mail at Rt. 7, Box 388c, Springfiled, MO 65802 or by phone at 417-866-5113.

Another source of zebras is Bear Creek Ranch in Kerrville, Texas. This ranch raises exotic hoof stock and waterfowl. They have a small herd of Grevy's zebras, and each year, they sell a few to people interested in propagating the species. For more information, including the information needed to start your own herd, contact Doug Smith at bearcrk@hctc.net or 830-367-2320.

Your local zoo or wild animal park should have more information on obtaining exotic animals. They do this for a living and can give advice on what problems to expect. I'd suggest talking to a zoo keeper before jumping into this. I've had a lot of trouble keeping fish happy; I expect a zebra would be much harder.

So just stay with zebra's in the zoo for now, unless you're really serious!

Date: November 15, 2005 22:48

>> WTF. I hope someone can help. <<

ze stage is ze big sing up front. what ze seats are all facing. see?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home