Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28
Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 29, 2021 12:41

Doxa
The three of them together and Mick speaking of Charlie, while Keith takes Mick's hand to his... That was a touching moment. The face and body impressions.. Never seen Ronnie so serious and sad. For a moment it looked like that Keith will burst into tears. Probably the most un-Stonesy thing they ever have done. Sentimentality or showing true personal feelings is not their cup of tea, and for that very reason it was so effective. Still sweet, short and compact.

I think it was a class act that Mick thanked the fans for their reaction of master's passing. Namely, not just there in St. Louis, but all over the world the love and admiration shown for Charlie has been so spectacular. That obviously means a lot for them, and helps in their sorrow. The gesture was really thanking people remembering their Charlie - one of them, their brother - not just them showing respect for him. Beautiful.

- Doxa

Agreed absolutely. The Stones have nearly always kept showbiz sentimentality off their stage - but they do, on this rare occasion, show genuine sentiment. Do you think they will repeat this at each show of the tour, or was it a one off for opening night? Given how difficult it looked for them, I'd guess it was for that night only, though I think the opening and closing Charlie videos are a fixture.

Re: St Louis show live updates - Sunday 26-Sep-2021 - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 29, 2021 13:04

DeanGoodman
Nikkei
Didn't enjoy Dean Goodmans review so much, though. I get why he resonates with some of you, but most of his observations are actually VERY subjective...

All my observations are totally subjective, yes.

Loved the review.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 29, 2021 13:04

DandelionPowderman

It was heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. Such a moment.

Yes, it certainly was. I actually only viewed the moment for the first time yesterday. Very moving and quite emotional. Ronnie looking incredibly sad, Mick's voice near-breaking, and Keith seemingly about to blub. The moment where Keith took Mick's hand was very touching.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 29, 2021 13:37

gotdablouse
I hate to spoil anyone's fun and enthusiasm but while I think the drums are fine under the circumstances I'm puzzled at all the "Keith is back" talk, I mean I watched the videos and listened to the whole show shared on HS and frankly the guitars are weak, weaker than they've ever been TBH.

IORR intro : flubbed, TD Intro : flubbed, SMU intro : flubbed (ok not as bad as at HP 1&2), GS intro : not really flubbed but it's reduced to practically nothing. At this point it seems Keith has a hard time playing more than rhythm and picking a few licks here and there. Surely I can't be the only one hearing this ?

He didn't completely flub his solos on IORR, HTW and SFTD with out of key notes etc. It has sounded worse on opening night before. Hopefully his playing will improve the next few shows.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 29, 2021 13:50

Hadn't posted a review of the show yet, but this was one of the most special I've been fortunate to be at.
After all that's happened, and all it took for them to get this tour off the ground, there was so much pent up and Mixed Emotions. Even though I was prepared (somewhat) for it, the opening sequence with the Charlie reel absolutely caught me off guard emotionally. I didn't expect that, it was like a gut punch that resulted in the top of my mask damp from tears.

From the moment they hit the stage with SFM, my all time favorite opener, they once again hit it with seemingly something to prove and then proceeded to do just that. They sounded fantastic.. they seemed better rehearsed and tighter to me than the Chicago opener two years ago, but at the same time distinctly different. I danced in the aisle all night.

The three of them together onstage honoring Charlie was very difficult for them and for us, but I think as I mentioned earlier it was a very cathartic moment that they needed to help process this monumental loss. To see Keith grab and hold on tight to Mick's hand, was extremely moving. To see them all in such pain and expressing it was like nothing we have ever seen before, and the response from the fans clearly touched them and also once again re-moistened the top of my mask.

Realized while typing this that this is now the sixth different decade in which I've been fortunate to witness The Rolling Stones perform live in. The seventh different decade for some fans now. This is a new chapter for them and us, yet to be written as to whether it's the end of one book or the start of another, but either way I'm looking forward to and here for it, and grateful for the opportunity to be a part of it.

Was great to connect with so many hardcore fans in SL. Saw many old friends and made a few new ones. Stones fans are the best fans in the world, there is no doubt. How fortunate are we all to still have this opportunity in 2021?

Extremely. smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 29, 2021 14:22

TheBlockbuster
gotdablouse
I hate to spoil anyone's fun and enthusiasm but while I think the drums are fine under the circumstances I'm puzzled at all the "Keith is back" talk, I mean I watched the videos and listened to the whole show shared on HS and frankly the guitars are weak, weaker than they've ever been TBH.

IORR intro : flubbed, TD Intro : flubbed, SMU intro : flubbed (ok not as bad as at HP 1&2), GS intro : not really flubbed but it's reduced to practically nothing. At this point it seems Keith has a hard time playing more than rhythm and picking a few licks here and there. Surely I can't be the only one hearing this ?

He didn't completely flub his solos on IORR, HTW and SFTD with out of key notes etc. It has sounded worse on opening night before. Hopefully his playing will improve the next few shows.

Yes there have been worse "isolated" Keith trainwrecks (the OOC solo in Cuba comes to mind) but what I'm hearing here is more a pattern or recurring errors in most/all songs and an even greater "skeletal" playing. I hope I'm wrong and things improve but the inevitable downward trend seems to be picking up speed and I'm worried it's going to reach a turning point :-(

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 29, 2021 14:52

Redhotcarpet
Rocktiludrop
Look Mick and Keith were artists, they wrote about love, hate, drugs, past , present, history, good, evil, woman, sex, girls, all kinds of girls even black girls etc.

They wrote about the world the way they saw it.

They were written before political correct times, cancel Brown Sugar and you set the ball rolling to cancel the Stones.

If the Stones back catalogue offends you then that's their right to offend as artists, you don't like it listen to something else.

Are people cancelling Rap music because it offends ??, no, people just listen to something else, you don't go around burning books.

Exactly.

It's great to have you back mate, great minds think alike winking smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 29, 2021 15:05

I kind of had to sit back and let this all soak in before putting it all together in my head.

After seeing them over 40 years, 260 songs seen live, 95 unique ones, 12 shows, 11 venues, 10 tours, 7 cities, and possibly seeing them for the last time, it was still a thrill.

I always wonder when I'm going to see them and they don't deliver like they once did.

Sure they've aged, but who else at that age can put on a show like that? Jagger is a freak of nature, my friends and I were just shaking our heads saying, he's 20+ years older than us and we can't do any of that; he!!, we can barely stand for 2 hours much less do what he does.

We brought along a couple friends who have never seen them before who both claimed it was better than they ever could expected and were somewhat mad at themselves for never having gone them before.

All that being said, I have to say I did notice Jagger breathing heavier than usual between songs and wiping his nose a lot. Was it St. Louis allergies? A slight cold or something else? Emotions? Or again the fact that he's been running around like a 28 year old for 50 years? Not sure, but it didn't stop him from delivering like the best front man in rock has done for 59 years now, and quite frankly his voice sounded as good as ever at least in the last 30 years.

Ronnie seemed to appear to wear down too, which is probably understandable given what he's been through the last few tours. We all think of him as the young one but let's face it, as they all age, they all start to appear about the same age...but again, it didn't stop him from delivering like the pro that he is.

Keith...what can you say about Keith...he seemed to pick up steam as the show progressed and singing better than I've heard him in years.

They had something to prove to all the naysayers, that they weren't called the worlds greatest rock and roll band for nothing, and they checked every box.

I did have to wonder though, not sure if any of you caught it, late in the show, Ronnie looked at Keith and put a finger up and seemed to say "1 down". I sure would like to know more about what that meant, was it they made it through their first show of the tour without Charlie? 1 down until they call it quits? 1 down under this contract during these crazy times until they can plan their next move?? Who knows.

But I kept my pictures and videos to a minimum this time just wanting to absorb as much as I can of this wonderfully emotional show with friends I've known for decades and my 20 year old son (which this was his 3rd show in 8 years). And of course The Rolling Stones.

Date: September 29, 2021 15:42

Kovav, nice to read a review that mentions the physicality of the show on these ageing legends.

I too noticed Mick wiping his nose a lot as opposed to blowing it, a bit strange.

Keith did surprise me, it was as though the show took nothing out of him, maybe because he gave up the cigarettes or something but he looked in good shape compared to recent years. I think we will see a lot more movement from Keith as the shows progress.

Ronnie i was a bit concerned about, he went backstage a few times and was visibly struggling towards the end of the show.
It's to be expected though after what Ronnie has been through, hope to God that he can finish the tour.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 29, 2021 15:46

gotdablouse
TheBlockbuster
gotdablouse

Yes there have been worse "isolated" Keith trainwrecks (the OOC solo in Cuba comes to mind) but what I'm hearing here is more a pattern or recurring errors in most/all songs and an even greater "skeletal" playing. I hope I'm wrong and things improve but the inevitable downward trend seems to be picking up speed and I'm worried it's going to reach a turning point :-(

You're right about the "skeletal" playing, but overall I was more worried by his playing in Hamburg 2017 on songs like IORR, HTW and SFTD than by his playing in St Louis. Keith probably needs a few shows to warm up before we can decide if the downward trend is picking up speed or not.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: September 29, 2021 15:49

Doxa
The three of them together and Mick speaking of Charlie, while Keith takes Mick's hand to his... That was a touching moment. The face and body impressions.. Never seen Ronnie so serious and sad. For a moment it looked like that Keith will burst into tears. Probably the most un-Stonesy thing they ever have done. Sentimentality or showing true personal feelings is not their cup of tea, and for that very reason it was so effective. Still sweet, short and compact.

I think it was a class act that Mick thanked the fans for their reaction of master's passing. Namely, not just there in St. Louis, but all over the world the love and admiration shown for Charlie has been so spectacular. That obviously means a lot for them, and helps in their sorrow. The gesture was really thanking people remembering their Charlie - one of them, their brother - not just them showing respect for him. Beautiful.

- Doxa

100% agree. So un-Stonesy it was obviously authentic. You can even see Mick slightly resisting Keith's hand hold and then 'giving in'.

Date: September 29, 2021 15:50

The out of tune-playing on MR (in the middle) was due to a busted string. He quickly changed guitar (to the other TV yellow Junior).

Date: September 29, 2021 16:13

Defiantly DP, and a poster said he missed the opening chords to SMU, what the poster failed to notice was that the YouTube clip recording missed the opening chord.

That was an almost perfect first show for Keith and still he gets bashed, i don't mind bashing but lies is another thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-29 16:16 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: September 29, 2021 16:14

gotdablouse

I think the drums contributed to the mess, I don't think SJ started at the right time.

Date: September 29, 2021 16:27

Rocktiludrop
Defiantly DP, and a poster said he missed the opening chords to SMU, what the poster failed to notice was that the YouTube clip recording missed the opening chord.

That was an almost perfect first show for Keith and still he gets bashed, i don't mind bashing but lies is another thing.

The second chord of the opening riff was a little "dampened", but certainly not flubbed (there are more videos).

Keith did a good job, although the solo on Slipping Away was too minimalistic for me.

I haven't heard the out of key-playing on Satisfaction (supposedly for "a minute").

Date: September 29, 2021 16:59

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

The second chord of the opening riff was a little "dampened", but certainly not flubbed (there are more videos).

Keith did a good job, although the solo on Slipping Away was too minimalistic for me.

I haven't heard the out of key-playing on Satisfaction (supposedly for "a minute").

Agreed, Slipping Away had intense soloing in 2017.

You don't get two solos the same with Keith, all down to the mood he's in, I find he does the best solos after he forgets the words or something, to make up for the mistake winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-29 17:06 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 29, 2021 17:32

liddas

100% wholeheartedly agree!

C

p.s

Happy birthday!

Thanks! And the same for you. We are just getting younger...

- Doxa

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 29, 2021 18:30

This is a live thread for the 2021 St Louis show. For those who don't know, there is also an IORR editorial page with reports, pictures, links and more for every show.

While the live forum pages may be hard to find and also navigate over time, the editorial pages for all shows since 1994/1995 are all easy to find, and all available from the links on the IORR home page. Also, they are easily found using general internet search engines.

Currently there are seven - 7 - reports, more than 40 pictures, links to press and video, also a song history pie chart for the St. Louis show. All editorial show reports are linked up from the IORR home page, from the News pages, and from the 2021 tour list pages.

Direct link to the St. Louis editorial reports:

The Rolling Stones
The Dome at America's Center
St. Louis MO USA
Sunday September 26, 2021

The editorial window for reports and more related to the above show will close soon, as the next show in Charlotte is due tomorrow. After that, there will be limited time for work on "older" shows, unless there are important additions.

Bjornulf

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: September 29, 2021 18:30

DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

It's rock and roll, not a symphony. cool smiley

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: September 29, 2021 18:52

they are not the Boston Pops Orchestra ...

resotele

smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 29, 2021 18:56

kovach
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: September 29, 2021 19:23

About Charlie following Keith like a smooth operator

I can't think better examples. Those were the times.. Soooo laid back. Charlie had a velvet touch.

[youtu.be]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-29 19:26 by The Joker.

Posted by: eismann ()
Date: September 29, 2021 19:42

fzv98d
Here is a link to the videos I shot in St. Louis. It was a great show. Lots of emotions with Charlie. My 25th Stones show. Shot from Pit 1.

The Rolling Stones in St Louis

And one more THANX! to fzv98d, your great shots finally triggered to buy me a pit ticket for ATL. Hope to get around the travel ban, a potential shutdown, and everything else in the way...

the greatest rock and roll band in the world - definitely

Date: September 29, 2021 19:53

kovach
DandelionPowderman
Rocktiludrop

smileys with beer

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 29, 2021 20:03

eismann
fzv98d
Here is a link to the videos I shot in St. Louis. It was a great show. Lots of emotions with Charlie. My 25th Stones show. Shot from Pit 1.

The Rolling Stones in St Louis

And one more THANX! to fzv98d, your great shots finally triggered to buy me a pit ticket for ATL. Hope to get around the travel ban, a potential shutdown, and everything else in the way...

Hi fzv98d... what kind of camera do you use? where were you sitting? Sony HSC-DX-99 row 12 seat 1 for me dnewton98 on youtube

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 29, 2021 21:52

Somebody was talking about the drums being "muted and muffled" (based on YouTube clips)

Question for those who were at the show: was this the case? Were the drums mixed lower than usual?

Posted by: kv2915 ()
Date: September 29, 2021 22:17

I didn't feel like they were mixed lower. His stix looked like baseball bats!

Posted by: dnewton99 ()
Date: September 30, 2021 00:48

Topi
Somebody was talking about the drums being "muted and muffled" (based on YouTube clips)

Question for those who were at the show: was this the case? Were the drums mixed lower than usual?

sounded louder to me but was fun rock and roll feel not too loud but not the Charlie swish.. I felt like Ronnie and Keith guitars were louder in certain songs too.. again I loved it. previously over last 10 years I have used versions of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZSxx camera - pocket, great zoom, great sound, okay lights in your face handling and I miss that sound. Camera started focusing on light and I even bought duplicate (ebay new in box from a frequent high rated seller is a great cost effective way to buy that kind of stuff).. None worked well anymore so shifted to the Sony DSC - Hx99 which is cheaper and has better video than the RX100 which is $1000 but has fantastic photo - all the great photos you see use that one but I cry over missing the sound from Panasonic. [www.apotelyt.com]

here are 2018 playlist from London for example where I think sound is better from Lumix [youtube.com]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 30, 2021 01:00

It's not up to the artist to let other people determine his art. That way you get propoganda.
For example, I thought Robert Maplethorpe insulted Christians, but I recognized he was making his own statement.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: September 30, 2021 01:22

as someone who has listened to literally hours and hours of footage from the 2019 tour over the last 2 years for many projects please believe me when i tell you keith's playing has improved not to stellar heights but still it has
thats not to say he doesn't make tons of mistakes he does and will continue to but it is improved

also has any one found any press footage or reports about the show from after the show i can finds lots of local stuff from before but not after have to imagine the local news got some footage
are there any local fans who recorded reports after the show that they could share

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 27 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2194
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home