Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:17

Linked from Rolling Stone, "Satisfaction" the final song from Charlie's last show with the Stones.

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:18

rebelhipi
Rokyfan
Charlie Watts was a man who lived his life the way he wanted, never seems to have hurt a fly and did nothing but bring joy and happiness to millions of people.

We celebrate a life like this. We don’t mourn for Charlie we mourn for ourselves who go on in a world a little darker, with this reminder that we’re all just a blink of an eye.

Well said.
And somehow i think Charlie knew how much we loved himwinking smiley

smileys with beer
I do too.
Thankful for that, and for every second I was fortunate enough be able to let him know by applauding and cheering him on.

Date: August 25, 2021 04:20

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:20

28 times I've seen the Stones and Mr. Watts was the very first Stone I actually saw. He mounted the drum kit in New Orleans, July 13, 1978. What a blast it's been! RIP Charlie.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:26

We all thought he was mending...that the surgery was a success & he would be OK...perhaps Charlie, being such a private man, wanted no one to know how very ill he really was....to say I'm devastated is a huge understatement..I know I am not alone. The only consolation for me is believing that Charlie lived a happy, satisfying life. He is NOT replaceable...it will take a very long time to wrap my head around this...he's been a part of my life for 57 years...and I know that you all must feel the same way, this is like losing a member of our family. Rest in eternal peace, Charlie. He really was OUR DARLING.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 04:28 by mickschix.

Posted by: achilles77 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:32

Just blown away when I read the news. The end of an era indeed. Charlie was absolutely the glue that kept it all together. What a legacy. Truly one of the greatest. Such a unique drummer and man. Irreplaceable. Thus ends the mighty Rolling Stones. This one hurts.

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:39

Gutted.....absolutely gutted. In tears. What a gentleman he was, amongst all of the craziness....

Never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

Great drummer, great human being....

Posted by: bv ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:42

I am in Cancun Mexico on my own, doing the 14 days needed to go on the US Tour 2021 in September, due to the US Covid-19 rules. As I get the news about Charlie passing today, I get so sad. The Rolling Stones are my other family. I spend 25% or more of my life on The Rolling Stones. I used to call myself Charlie when I became a Stones fan exactly 50 years ago this month, back in August 1971, because I used to be a drummer myself, and because Charlie was so cool. Now I realize the last show with Charlie was in Miami August 30, 2019. So sad. So sad.

Bjornulf

Date: August 25, 2021 04:49

Sorry you are on your own Bjornulf.

Thank you for providing this forum where we all, even if alone, can share our grief and thoughts with other fans.
It is much appreciated.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:50

Thinking of you today also BV. A thousand thank yous for putting up with all of us and giving us a forum to chat about the world's greatest rock n roll band. I type this with 2015 Fonda Theatre blaring in the background blocking out a fierce Midwest Summer thunderstorm that I would usually love to enjoy and listen to. Without being intrusive, how are you celebrating Charlie's life tonight BV? A favorite album or video or just thinking of all the shows you've seen over the years?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 04:51 by TumblinDice76.

Posted by: bam ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:53

Thank you so much, bv, in this very trying time.

Posted by: Jbargar ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:55

Thinking of you as well Bjornulf. Thank for you love of all things Stones and providing a place where we speculate, celebrate, and yes mourn. I appreciate you and wish you safe journeys.

Date: August 25, 2021 04:55

Pearl Jam
@PearlJam
·
2h

(1/3) "We are so deeply, deeply saddened to hear of Charlie Watts passing.

The impact he’s had on musicians and listeners across the planet is profound.

[twitter.com]

Pearl Jam
@PearlJam
Replying to
@PearlJam
(2/3) His drumming style and drum sound will live on forever in the songs. The songs that are forever in our hearts. That’s where Charlie will be now. We were so lucky to have him.

All our love and support to Mick, Keith, Ronnie and all of the Stones crew and family.
[twitter.com]

Pearl Jam
@PearlJam
Replying to
@PearlJam
(3/3) It was a true honor every time we were in his presence." - Eddie on behalf of Pearl Jam
[twitter.com]

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: August 25, 2021 05:02

bv
I am in Cancun Mexico on my own, doing the 14 days needed to go on the US Tour 2021 in September, due to the US Covid-19 rules. As I get the news about Charlie passing today, I get so sad. The Rolling Stones are my other family. I spend 25% or more of my life on The Rolling Stones. I used to call myself Charlie when I became a Stones fan exactly 50 years ago this month, back in August 1971, because I used to be a drummer myself, and because Charlie was so cool. Now I realize the last show with Charlie was in Miami August 30, 2019. So sad. So sad.

Thank you so much for this beautiful post Bjornulf, and for everything.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 25, 2021 05:05

Bjornulf, good to hear from you!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 05:22

So many mixed emotions. Had to drive an hour home, and was thinking about all of this.

Gutted. Just absolutely stunned. As I said prior, clearly there was more at work than we were told, and as so many said, something seemed so terribly off about this whole tour. And many of us on here were busy criticizing one another over a stupid vaccine and bitching about politics and how Jordan might enhance the sound, when our dear Charlie was fighting for his very life. Perspective.

I was thinking of going to see the Stones in Pitt with Jordan, knowing that Charlie would be back next year. Now, I don't want to go. My last show was 7/11/15, Buffalo. Can't believe it's been 6 years already since last I saw them. Thought it was 2017, honestly. The Stones will always be Ronnie, Charlie, Mick, and Keef. Please. Please cancel it all now. Right now. Fk the money - you don't need. Please be men of honor and dignity and stand behind your words that without Charlie, there is no Rolling Stones. Don't carry on the legacy now and start subtracting from it. Whatever songs you feel are finished for this elusive final album, please just release them - even if it's only an EP. Just one final little snippet of the band. Please don't bring in Jordan or anyone else. Please give us just one more little sliver of beautiful music we've so enjoyed all these many long decades, just the four of you. As I muddle my way thru my 2nd divorce, I've come back to the soundtrack that has gotten me thru EVERY damn stage of my life, since I was 13. God, this hurts. This hurts so bad.....Right this moment Winter is playing.

...........and then, I want to go see them with Jordan, opening night, wherever that is I don't even know. Was only looking at Pitt. I want to go opening night to see the memorial they do for our great Charlie. I want to have a place to mourn, to bring this pain and sadness and be among others who feel it as well, and have a sort of closure. It would be my 13th show, and I always said I wanted to see them 13 times - my lucky number. But not like this. This was never what I envisioned for that final time.

And perhaps this is why there's been no word on rehearsals - because the others knew it was imminent and all are in England right now. Even BV has been a bit quiet regarding the tour. Everything seemed off, and there has been an air hanging over this tour since COVID swept in and dealt it a fatal blow....

As I pulled up to my place, Angie came on my car stereo, and it's one of my least favorite Stones songs, but I was listening to the new 2020 stereo mix, and it struck me, knowing that the Stones had posted it on one of their social media accounts, how appropriate the lyrics were - not just the You can't say we never tried, but really all of it, as if it it was their veiled way of saying this was it without ever coming right out and saying as much:

Angie, Angie
When will those clouds all disappear?
Angie, Angie
Where will it lead us from here?
With no lovin' in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
Angie, Angie
You can't say we never tried
Angie, you're beautiful, yeah
But ain't it time we said goodbye?
Angie, I still love you

Remember all those nights we cried?
All the dreams were held so close
Seemed to all go up in smoke

Let me whisper in your ear
Angie, Angie
Where will it lead us from here
Oh, Angie, don't you weep
Oh, your kisses still taste sweet
I hate that sadness in your eyes
But Angie, Angie
Ain't it time we said goodbye? Yeah

With no lovin' in our souls
And no money in our coats
You can't say we're satisfied
Angie, I still love you, baby
Everywhere I look, I see your eyes
There ain't a woman that comes close to you
Come on, baby, dry your eyes
Angie, Angie
Ain't it good to be alive?
Angie, Angie
They can't say we never tried

Sleep well dear, dear Charlie. Form a little skiffle band with Brian and Stu.

Shirley, my deepest condolences on the loss of your lifelong partner and friend.

Mick, Keef, Ronnie - "I thought I heard an Angel cry." The stage is quiet tonight. The Wembley Whammer has gone and left the building. He shall not return. For your loss, we send you a giant virtual hug filled with much love. He was a true gentleman, the classiest of class acts, and one helluva drummer!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 20:45 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 25, 2021 05:42

Lots of thunder here tonight. Slightly behind the beat.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: August 25, 2021 06:12

Charlie was everybody's darling and the backbeat to most of the greatest moments of our lives. So sad yet so grateful for everything he and his mates gave us, for it brought so much fun, joy, and yes, occasional debauchery. But Charlie was a true gentleman and my heart goes out to his wife Shirley, his large family and of course Mick, Keith, Ronnie and the rest of the band. May we always remember the swing in beat Charlie laid down for us on some of the greatest songs of our generation(s).

Date: August 25, 2021 06:29

"The Superdome tonight, in honor of Charlie Watts. The Rolling Stones last filled the stadium in 2019."

[twitter.com]

Date: August 25, 2021 06:37

If I remember correctly Charlie was the last one to walk off in Miami.

Maybe someone else remembers or has a video.

I just remember the last visual I have from Miami besides the rain was seeing Charlie walk off.

Posted by: z ()
Date: August 25, 2021 06:46

Goodbye Charlie. You were the best.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 25, 2021 06:59

Stones have already jumped to place 29 on the top digital artists in the world, people paying tribute to Charlie. More to come of course with Spotify etc today.

RIP

Posted by: martini22 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 07:09

I don't mind Mick/Keef/Ronnie doing shows and playing Stones songs, but they need to change the name of the band. With Charlie's passing, it's over. The Rolling Stones are dead.

There is no one who can play like Charlie. His sound is unique. Even if there was a reasonable copy, it's like buying a fake Rolex and trying to impress your friends with it. It's over.

Not to be macabre, but the only member that could have died and the name "The Rolling Stones" could still have survived was losing Ronnie and having him replaced by Mick Taylor.

I hope I don't see the day when Mick and Keef are dead and Ronnie is still touring as The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: August 25, 2021 07:15

tiffanyblu
Stones have already jumped to place 29 on the top digital artists in the world, people paying tribute to Charlie. More to come of course with Spotify etc today.

RIP

It has been gratifying reading all the various articles on-line coming from a variety of publications paying tribute to Charlie like this one. Really nice to see.

[www.yahoo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 07:17 by Sighunt.

Posted by: exil ()
Date: August 25, 2021 07:16

Bugga.Absolutely heartbroken.

Posted by: tiffanyblu ()
Date: August 25, 2021 07:25

Sighunt
tiffanyblu

RIP

It has been gratifying reading all the various articles on-line coming from a variety of publications paying tribute to Charlie like this one. Really nice to see.

[www.yahoo.com]

Agree it has been very warming

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: August 25, 2021 07:53

This is the worst news to start the day......OMG........dear Charlie, we love yo so much and will miss you.

And to Shirley, Charlotte, Seraphina, et al

You are all in my prayers

Posted by: jon12345 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 08:04

RIP Charlie Watts. I never got a good picture of Charlie during the 2nd Chicago June 2019 show due to my angle to his drum set from the pit. He was such a humble pro that he’d probably laugh at this photo being chosen as tribute, with his face hidden behind a cymbal. He never seemed to demand attention, instead happy to stay in the back and just do his job to keep the World’s Greatest Rock n Roll band moving. It’s surprising how sometimes the quiet ones are the most missed when they are gone. A constant, stable presence in rock ‘n’ roll for nearly 60 years. Seeing Charlie & the rest of the Stones perform together with such joy & camaraderie in Chicago for what became the last time will forever be a highlight of my life. A true legend, and I will miss him greatly.

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: August 25, 2021 08:14

It’s hard to put into words how I feel about this. Here’s a few thoughts: Charlie didn’t have to spend decades drumming for the Stones. He could’ve led a quiet life that didn’t involve touring the world in a rock and roll band year after year. But he did just that. He chose to, and I think that speaks volumes about his love and loyalty to Mick & Keith. As fans of the band, we were truly lucky he chose to do that. It would not have been the same band with someone else providing the beat. The music will outlive all of us and Charlie will continue to inspire and influence drummers for years to come. Thank you Charlie.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: August 25, 2021 08:23

I'm still shocked and devastated, can't really say what's going on in my mind. Had always dreaded that day ... like many others I think that's going to be the end of the Rolling Stones.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324...LastNext
Current Page: 19 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home