Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 50
Re: Charlie Watts Dies at 80
Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:37

MisterDDDD

[twitter.com]

True British.

Posted by: michaelried ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:41

Thank you Charlie

Posted by: godzi68 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:43

My wife & I shed some tears when we heard the news. A very sad day. Our thoughts & prayers go out to his family and friends. Thanks for the great beats!

RIP Mr. Charlie Watts.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:44

I listened to the Stones for at least 5 years, concentrating on Keith's guitar work. Then I discovered that Charlie and Bill were just as essential. Charlie was best on the slower songs, such as Angie, Down in the Hole, and Love in Vain.

Posted by: vibrolux ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:46

NilsHolgersson
Keith shares an empty drumkit

I didn't cry till I saw this.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:46

A part of all who love the Stones is gone. The Stones are not the greatest rock n roll band without him. Thanks for all the joy and excitement you gave us

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:49

vibrolux
NilsHolgersson

I did as well.

Posted by: Chitown23 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:52

Rest in peace, Charlie.
OMG, we are going to miss him.
I'm very, very sad about this news. Punch to the gut. I don't think Charlie's passing has set in yet. I am thinking about the Watts and Stones families during this time of grief.
I wrote him a card last year and he mailed back the CD covers signed. I will cherish those items and my memories of all the shows where Charlie entertained me.

Posted by: ebalm ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:54

Really nice article on Rolling Stone .com. Not sure if anyone posted yet.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/charlie-watts-rolling-stones-drum-god-1216488/]Charlie tribute in Rolling Stone[/url]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:54

Charlie Watts was a gentleman in the world’s most dangerous band

Charlie Watts performs in 1973. (Ian Dickson/MediaPunch/IPX)

By Chris Richards
Pop music critic

If you really want to understand the eloquence, generosity and impossible grace of Charlie Watts just listen for the first time he touches his drums on any Rolling Stones song.

Two thumps at the top of “Gimme Shelter.”

Three whacks to start “Jumpin’ Jack Flash.”

Three thumps, three whacks and it’s “Street Fighting Man.”

Watts is totally fine with letting the maniac over there play the curtain-raising guitar riff, but when it’s time for the song to really get up and get moving, the drummer doesn’t launch into a fireworks show or somersault down the stairwell. He just pats his snare a few times, as if he’s patting us on the back, bringing us into the music with him. C’mon. Let’s go.

Watts — who died in London on Tuesday at 80 — was a misfit among misfits, a gentleman lost at sea with hungry pirates, a cool jazz mind in the world’s most insatiable rock-and-roll troupe. He dressed nicely, he performed with excellent posture, and he struck his drums with a politesse that somehow made the music of the Rolling Stones feel exponentially rude. He knew what was essential to his band’s singular surge-and-swing, so that’s what he did. No grand gestures, no wasted strokes. “When you’re playing rock-and-roll, you know, the challenge is .?.?. the regularity of it,” Watts said in 2008, inadvertently explaining the riddle of his magnificence.

His drumming was designed to be felt more than noticed, and the world seemed to do it in that order. “Charlie’s good tonight, inne?” Mick Jagger asks before the penultimate cut of “Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out! The Rolling Stones in Concert,” a throbbing 1970 live album that features Watts on the record jacket, big smile, seemingly walking on air. He usually played it so cool for the camera. What’s with the glee? Maybe he knew Jagger could have popped that question in the middle of any Rolling Stones concert and the answer would have always been “yes.”

It held true if you caught the Stones live anytime in the 21st century, too. Keith Richards describes guitar playing as an imperfect communication between two hands, and that concept definitely extends to how his hands steadily strengthened their telepathic connection to Watts’s extremities for nearly 60 years. In his 2010 memoir, Richards writes that Watts’s greatness has “something to do with the way Charlie’s limbs are constructed.” What a way to understand someone. Apparently, the Rolling Stones learned to read each other’s minds by reading each other’s bodies.

But more than anyone else in the band, Watts was also reading time. Jagger and Richards were always free to make a mess of it, smearing notes and smudging temporality — and that left Watts to uphold “the regularity” of his band’s fantastic rock-and-roll, to keep those songs moving forward, measuring time in evenhanded thumps and whacks, reminding our bodies what it feels like to move deeper and further into life.

Watts’s steadiness made the music’s excitement feel almost perpetual, which, in turn, makes it hard to remember how a lot of Stones songs end. Go check their albums and you’ll be reminded that the band’s most celebrated songs — “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” “Paint It Black,” “Sympathy for the Devil,” “Gimme Shelter,” “Rocks Off,” “Miss You,” “Start Me Up” — do their nasty, dazzling things, then fade out to silence.

This was a band that didn’t know how to stop. Until now, they didn’t have to.

Charlie Watts and Keith Richards in 2016. (Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP)

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 02:54 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: August 25, 2021 02:56

so sad i've read every single post on this thread clicked on every link and watched every video the world can't ever be the same feel so bad for shirley can't imagine the depth of her loss

glad there is a place like this for us to go and get out our feelings with people who understand thanks bv

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 03:01 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:02

OMG. This is horribly sad sad sad news. I feel there was more than we were ever let on to know was wrong. An end of an era for sure. RIP dear Mr. Watts.

Posted by: SILBE64 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:04

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 03:05 by SILBE64.

Posted by: SILBE64 ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:06

crawdaddy
vibrolux
NilsHolgersson

I did as well.

same here

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:18

Charlie Watts was a man who lived his life the way he wanted, never seems to have hurt a fly and did nothing but bring joy and happiness to millions of people.

We celebrate a life like this. We don’t mourn for Charlie we mourn for ourselves who go on in a world a little darker, with this reminder that we’re all just a blink of an eye.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:22

We knew it would happen one day, but I’m still struggling to adjust to a world without Charlie Watts.

Date: August 25, 2021 03:26

thank you Mr Watts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 03:27 by mizzoumonkeyman29.

Date: August 25, 2021 03:28

SILBE64
crawdaddy
vibrolux
NilsHolgersson

I did as well.

same here

yep

Posted by: winos ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:37

Having been a fan for 50+ years after first hearing Honky Tonk Women, I too are devastated about the news of Charlie's passing.

I saw Charlie up close standing behind the B stage in Melbourne in 2003 and it was one of the greatest highlights of my life. I couldn't believe the sound he produced with beautiful and subtle timing.

From all us devoted Rolling Stones fans here in Australia....RIP Charlie a truly one off drummer and gentleman.

Roll on boys!

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:37

Taylor1
A part of all who love the Stones is gone. The Stones are not the greatest rock n roll band without him. Thanks for all the joy and excitement you gave us

The loss is profound

Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:42

From an interview today with Ringo from the Wall Street Journal:
Though they were friends for decades, Ringo Starr was blindsided by the announcement of Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts’s death, just like millions of fans world-wide.

“I knew he wasn’t doing well, but it was a shock to me,” Mr. Starr said in a Zoom interview just two hours after Mr. Watts’s death was announced.

Mr. Starr said that drummer Jim Keltner called Monday to tell him that Mr. Watts, who had pulled out of the Stones’ fall tour because of an unspecified medical procedure, had taken a downturn.

Date: August 25, 2021 03:58

Lisa Fischer
@lisafischersing
·
8m
Rest in sweet peace #CharlieWatts My deepest condolences to The Watts Family, The Shepherd Family, The Rolling Stones Family &friends,&all who have been touched by his gifts to this world(I sadly embrace the circle of life. it’s my heart that’s slow to let go <Mending heart>)

Camera #NikiNiikura

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-25 04:28 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: August 25, 2021 03:58

Does anyone know if Mick Taylor or Bill Wyman have released any statements?

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:01

nightmare

Date: August 25, 2021 04:02

Yoko Ono Cloud
@yokoono
·
13m
Rest in peace, Charlie Watts. Our love and deepest condolences go out to Shirley, Seraphina, Charlotte and all The Rolling Stones family. Love, yoko
[twitter.com]

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:04

Completely devastated upon hearing this news, but at the same time so thankful for all the music, the life changing concert tours I've been lucky enough to experience, and like minded people I met along the way. Words can't express how much The Rolling Stones music and Charlies playing has meant to me. It will take some time for this to properly sink in. RIP Charlie

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:11

Sayonara Charlie. Been lost for words since I heard the news early in the evening.

Thank you so much for keeping the band as well as us fans rolling for so many years.

See you after the bridge someday —

R.l.P.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:12

Rokyfan
Charlie Watts was a man who lived his life the way he wanted, never seems to have hurt a fly and did nothing but bring joy and happiness to millions of people.

We celebrate a life like this. We don’t mourn for Charlie we mourn for ourselves who go on in a world a little darker, with this reminder that we’re all just a blink of an eye.

Well said.
And somehow i think Charlie knew how much we loved himwinking smiley

Posted by: Stonesdude ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:14

When I heard the news today I was devastated. We knew something had come up with his health but we were told he would be ok. I had trouble focusing on work so I took off on my motorcycle for a ride in the country to clear my head for an hour ride during lunch. I have a thumbdrive with a bunch of classic rock on it and it is set for shuffle. The first song was Zep, All of my Love. A nice tune to hear today. The second song was Shattered. It is a great example of Charlies drum skills and sound. Many songs don't have his drumming coming thru this strong. This is a good one to remember him by. Have a listen.

Stonesdude
Jim
Texas

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: August 25, 2021 04:15

RIP Charlie,thank you for all the great music,you will be missed.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1314151617181920212223...LastNext
Current Page: 18 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1547
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home