Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT. Ray Davies of THE KINKS reviews "Revolver" and goes off on it!
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 29, 2020 01:37

I dig early Beatles. I dig late Beatles. I even dig mid 60s Beatles like Ticket to Ride and Rain. I think they peaked with St. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. It was slightly downhill from there. It`s just that unbeatable spirit of ecstasy. I love Hello Goodbye and Obladi Oblada. The Stones´ Satanic Majesty`s aint bad either, -at least a bit of the same vein.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 29, 2020 07:24

For me, the best threesome of The Beatles’ albums has always been Pepper, the ‘White Album’ and Abbey Road. It hasn’t changed for almost fifty years, and most likely will stay that way in the future. Revolver has never touched that realm.

And, yes, I love Hello Goodbye and Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, too — lightweight maybe, but can’t resist their charm. Love them because of, not in spite of, them being ‘pop’.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 29, 2020 17:21

On another note, here's "Lola" animated.

[bestclassicbands.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 30, 2020 11:01

teleblaster
24FPS
strat72
24FPS
It proves that even a world famous musician, with rock credibility can be dead wrong. He showed no understanding of the songs. And no, he never wrote anything at good as almost all the tracks on Revolver.

A stupid thing to say 24.......

Music is subjective, and just because someone does not like something, it does not mean that they are "dead wrong".

Ray does not like "Revolver" and I'm sure plenty of people feel the same.

I rather like it, but I share Ray's opinion with regard to "Yellow Submarine"...... I also think it's rubbish, and I suspect that The Beatles felt the same. However, although it is tripe, it has something, so it's good tripe. A childs song really.....

A stupid reply 72.....

He dismisses these groundbreaking songs as if they were inferior to his work. He wishes. The Kinks were a minor band with a handful of hits. Their best was their earliest. They barely survived the British Invasion.

Oh and for "a minor band" who "barely survived the British Invasion", they did outlast The Beatles (fact, not opinion). Credit where credit's due, surely.

Lots of bands survived the Beatles. Doesn't mean they were better. If your idea of surviving is 'Lola', then they survived the Beatles by two months. It's like saying because the Stone survived Bill's retirement, that they became a better band. They didn't.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 30, 2020 12:05

Rockman
I prefer Keef's .....
Crow caught in a trap backing vocals .....

And Miller!

Date: November 30, 2020 14:07

24FPS
teleblaster
24FPS
strat72
24FPS
It proves that even a world famous musician, with rock credibility can be dead wrong. He showed no understanding of the songs. And no, he never wrote anything at good as almost all the tracks on Revolver.

A stupid thing to say 24.......

Music is subjective, and just because someone does not like something, it does not mean that they are "dead wrong".

Ray does not like "Revolver" and I'm sure plenty of people feel the same.

I rather like it, but I share Ray's opinion with regard to "Yellow Submarine"...... I also think it's rubbish, and I suspect that The Beatles felt the same. However, although it is tripe, it has something, so it's good tripe. A childs song really.....

A stupid reply 72.....

He dismisses these groundbreaking songs as if they were inferior to his work. He wishes. The Kinks were a minor band with a handful of hits. Their best was their earliest. They barely survived the British Invasion.

Oh and for "a minor band" who "barely survived the British Invasion", they did outlast The Beatles (fact, not opinion). Credit where credit's due, surely.

Lots of bands survived the Beatles. Doesn't mean they were better. If your idea of surviving is 'Lola', then they survived the Beatles by two months. It's like saying because the Stone survived Bill's retirement, that they became a better band. They didn't.

The Kinks were never as successful as later (a few years after Lola) in the 70s, when they really broke through in the US. They have nine lives smiling smiley

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: December 11, 2020 11:20

OK folks...
I dien´t want to start a BEATLES OR KINKS / WHO´s "BETTER" argument.

I mean what are we talking about?
It´s a pro and contra dispute (which I damn like!!) on a V E R Y high level!

Posted by: quietbeatle ()
Date: December 11, 2020 22:02

Rockman
Bury me with Aftermath .....

I love you

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2020 22:38

..... Okay ring me anytime ....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1629
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home