Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT. Ray Davies of THE KINKS reviews "Revolver" and goes off on it!
Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 27, 2020 07:36

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-12-16 19:46 by hopkins.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: November 27, 2020 07:37

Ray Davies has a big ego. He also may have changed his opinion in the years since.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 27, 2020 09:26

strat72
24FPS
It proves that even a world famous musician, with rock credibility can be dead wrong. He showed no understanding of the songs. And no, he never wrote anything at good as almost all the tracks on Revolver.

A stupid thing to say 24.......

Music is subjective, and just because someone does not like something, it does not mean that they are "dead wrong".

Ray does not like "Revolver" and I'm sure plenty of people feel the same.

I rather like it, but I share Ray's opinion with regard to "Yellow Submarine"...... I also think it's rubbish, and I suspect that The Beatles felt the same. However, although it is tripe, it has something, so it's good tripe. A childs song really.....

A stupid reply 72.....

He dismisses these groundbreaking songs as if they were inferior to his work. He wishes. The Kinks were a minor band with a handful of hits. Their best was their earliest. They barely survived the British Invasion.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 27, 2020 11:01

Elenor rigby is a great tune. But it does not fill with the album global sound.
Take it out, take submarine Out.
Instead of them, paperback and rain.
Then you have an absolute masterpiece

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 27, 2020 11:06

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 27, 2020 11:08

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 27, 2020 14:11

24FPS
strat72
24FPS
It proves that even a world famous musician, with rock credibility can be dead wrong. He showed no understanding of the songs. And no, he never wrote anything at good as almost all the tracks on Revolver.

Music is subjective, and just because someone does not like something, it does not mean that they are "dead wrong".

I rather like it, but I share Ray's opinion with regard to "Yellow Submarine"...... I also think it's rubbish, and I suspect that The Beatles felt the same. However, although it is tripe, it has something, so it's good tripe. A childs song really.....

A stupid reply 72.....

He dismisses these groundbreaking songs as if they were inferior to his work. He wishes. The Kinks were a minor band with a handful of hits. Their best was their earliest. They barely survived the British Invasion.

Surely this is all about personal taste? I happen to prefer the Kinks to the Beatles (and Davies' songwriting to that of Lennon/McCartney), but I'm aware I'm in the minority. Caught them live once and enjoyed it very much. Oh and for "a minor band" who "barely survived the British Invasion", they did outlast The Beatles (fact, not opinion). Credit where credit's due, surely.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2020 16:42

Elanor Rigby. The Beatles did something different, which is still played on radio every day around the world, and regardless of liking it or not, it's quite the tune.

I don't care for Elton John but that doesn't keep me from acknowledging how good he is etc. That's where the critical part of hearing and listening to music comes into play that tends to lean over and past subjectiveness and taste.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 27, 2020 18:34

> which is still played on radio every day around the world

There is a lot of crap "played on radio every day...", that doesn't make it good or even worthy of mention.

jb

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 27, 2020 22:53

jbwelda
> which is still played on radio every day around the world

There is a lot of crap "played on radio every day...", that doesn't make it good or even worthy of mention.

jb

However, I think that you here argue against part of a post in a way that to me as a reader violates against the content of the post as a whole.

One may disagree with the post, but it is more to it than the excerpt that you quoted.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 28, 2020 00:11

Eleanor Rigby is an absolutely timeless classic from Paul. He's written some silly crap throughout his long career (Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Fool on the Hill, etc., etc., etc.) but Eleanor Rigby is definitely not one of them
If you don't like the Beatles version, maybe you'll like this righteous version from good old Ray Charles performing it with his great backup singers back in 1972 on the Dick Cavett show:

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 28, 2020 00:18

Chips Fries whatever Rockman.

I had a perfect argument loaded and ready.
I know hostile territory by now but thing is, well, here's the thing. Just got back from fish and chips.
So, I'll get you some other day when I innocently crash one of your threads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-28 00:19 by hopkins.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 28, 2020 00:34

All is well Hoppy ....
hope ya drowned those chips with salt & vinegar ...

CRASH!!! ... I'll be walking backwards from now on ..... HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Date: November 28, 2020 01:26

That might be true, Witness. Still, radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools who want to anesthetize the way that you feel.

jb

Date: November 28, 2020 02:43

Ray Davies with Jim Irvin ---- MOJO 324 - November 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 28, 2020 02:59

jbwelda
That might be true, Witness. Still, radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools who want to anesthetize the way that you feel.

jb

You have a point. They keep insisting on the playing Angie, which is so mushy it's embarrassing to get the amount of airplay it gets. So many better songs that could be played.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: November 28, 2020 03:09

24FPS
strat72
24FPS

A stupid reply 72.....

You need to grow up 24......

Don't take it personally if someone does not like the music you love. Some people can't stand The Stones, or The Who, or Dylan, or even your beloved Beatles. Each to their own.....

There is no need to get so protective and upset on their behalf. If you love Revolver (As I do) but someone else does not, it's not a big deal. No need to wet your knickers dear boy.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 28, 2020 05:15

Such a fuss because of something Ray Davies said in 1967!

Date: November 28, 2020 05:32

I totally did not catch that it was from 1967. Puts things in a way different perspective. Thanks for mentioning that.

jb

Date: November 28, 2020 08:04

inspired by The Rolling Stones ..........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 28, 2020 11:35

GasLightStreet
jbwelda

jb

You have a point. They keep insisting on the playing Angie, which is so mushy it's embarrassing to get the amount of airplay it gets. So many better songs that could be played.

You are, of course, GasLightStreet, free to go back upon your earlier post.

Then your subjective view remains your subjecive view only, as, for instance, in your reestablished view on "Angie"

My own subjective view is that "Angie" is one of their all time great songs, even if I prefer it in the context of its album instead of heard alone on the radio, where it sometimes becomes too sweet also for me.

Added: REVOLVER, by the way, has over the decades grown for me to be probably the very best of Beatles albums.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-28 11:44 by Witness.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 28, 2020 16:24

I am a huge kinks fan. But Ray’s review reeks of jealousy. And frustration. Revolver is a brilliant statement by a band in full bloom. The last Beatles album where all four played on practically every single song on the album. She said she said being the only one that all four don’t play on. It is stunning to hear the growth on this album and compare it to their first album that was a little over three years prior to revolver. Amazing.

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: November 28, 2020 17:58

noughties
DandelionPowderman
noughties
There are some sub standard tracks on the album. They are: Taxman, Here There And Everywhere, Good Day Sunshine, And Your Bird Can Sing, For No One, Dr. Robert, I Want To Tell You, Got To Get You Into My Life. This make 8 songs of 14.

Many of those are classics. Agree on Dr. Robert, though.

Here, There and Everywhere a classic? -Hmm. However, Got To Get You Into My Life was translated into Norwegian and performed by troubadour Lars Klevstrand under the name "Du kan godt få sitte inntil meg, Knut."

Almost. It was 'Du kan godt få sitte inntil meg, Leif'. Hey Jude translated to 'Hei Knut'

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: November 28, 2020 18:04

whitem8
I am a huge kinks fan. But Ray’s review reeks of jealousy. And frustration. Revolver is a brilliant statement by a band in full bloom. The last Beatles album where all four played on practically every single song on the album. She said she said being the only one that all four don’t play on. It is stunning to hear the growth on this album and compare it to their first album that was a little over three years prior to revolver. Amazing.

Album Help! and Yesterday...too big a presence to be ignored as the song that all four don’t play on — in fact, only Paul contributed to the recording here. My point is, it started further back and since became increasingly common, not particularly unusual in their recording history.

AFAIK Within You And Without You is the only one that all four don’t play on in Pepper, which then can be tagged as “the last Beatles album where all four played on practically every single song on the album”.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 28, 2020 18:08

Revolver is my Favorite album of there's actually.

Date: November 28, 2020 20:37

I should’ve wrote more clearly I didn’t necessarily mean all four Beatles playing on each track but it’s their last really cohesive album where all four participated in either playing on the track or construction of the track by adding input. Sergeant peppers lonely hearts club band is very much a McCartney driven project. And not as much collaboration between John and Paul in writing the songs on that album as there was on revolver.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: November 28, 2020 22:42

Really Ray ? I mean look at ( and listen to if you can ) Preservation 1 & 2 , Soap Opera, Schoolboys in Disgrace and then tell me Revolver sucks ??????????

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: November 28, 2020 23:36

It’s really hard for anyone to top the energy and beautifully exuberant vocals of the early Beatles, 1962to1964.But that is just Please Please Me,she LovesYou,I Want to Hold Your Hand, From Me To You, Can’t Buy Me Love, The Night Before , Hard Daus Night , Help, Norwegian Wood, Nowhere Man , You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away, Yesterday, and a couple of others.Everything post Nowhere Man , other than, A Day in the Life,Here Comes the Sun, Revolution, HeyJude , Let it Be Get Back and Across the Universe and a few others lack the magic of the early Beatles.But that is just my opinionThere is a hell of a lot of crappy filler on their 1967 -1970 period

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-28 23:37 by Taylor1.

Date: November 29, 2020 00:50

I really like school boys in disgrace LOL!

Date: November 29, 2020 00:51

I prefer Keef's .....
Crow caught in a trap backing vocals .....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home