Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 41
Re: So, the red vinyl "Some Girls" - did you get it?
Posted by: Sodacityflyguy ()
Date: August 11, 2021 01:16

Got a copy for myself then went back in and ordered a copy for a close friend. No issues at all

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 11, 2021 01:57

jbwelda
treaclefingers
Irix
jbwelda

You would have thought for a special edition they would have cleared the rights for the original photos.

Why should they, when the Carnaby Red-Vinyl of 'Sticky Fingers' already had no real/working Zipper?

Also if you think about it, 1000 copies @ $35? $35000 revenue. What's the profit, $20000?

I wonder why they even bother...must be some sort of marketing value for the Carnaby Street store.

And for $20000 left over, how much would that leave for 'rights' payouts? Farrah, Lucille Ball, Raquel (is she on there?)...who else is on there, my memory is fading.

Not having the zipper was saving a lot of record collectors a lot of grief. I never liked that from the beginning, its great for putting a great big divot right in the middle of sister morphine.

And I don't think they clear 20k on a run of a thou at 35 each. More like 10k would be my guess, although I suppose you do not have to figure costs for distribution since half are sold in person through the store they pay for anyhow. Still, I doubt anyone makes more than lunch money on these.

jb

I don't disagree...I know I was being generous. $35 is a lot for an album, but on such short runs any fixed costs can't get distributed over too many units.

OK, so let's say $10000. There is absolutely no way they're doing these for 'cashflow'.

It would be interesting to hear where these fit within the business plan. I'm guessing marketing and keeping the buzz going with the diehards.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 03:56

Got one from the UK Store and another from the US Store. First of the limited edition Reds I have tried to get.

I bought a red Black & Blue off eBay. Have the red Honk.

Rod

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: August 11, 2021 07:43

I bought one Copy at the UK Store. I also have Black and Blue and GHS. smileys with beer

Date: August 11, 2021 09:05

Yeah, my second copy of Some Girls, when I get it, I’ll try and trade it, and a bit of cash no doubt, for a Sticky or Goats Red.

Rod

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:41

Why would it go for more than SF or GHS, especially since it was (apparently) easier to get a hold of?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:48

No. I don’t see the point. I have all the Stones’ albums and many books about them.
I must have bought Exile several times over the years in search of the best version…but these red vinyl reissues look like cynical exploitation to me. Anyone care to say why they bought these things?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 11, 2021 09:54

Coming in candy apple metalflake soon ...

Murder on the stylus but so great ta stare at ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:35

I still have a blue and lonesome that I want to trade for a back and blue. Anyone a spare copy?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 11, 2021 10:42

Same for me but as I just posted in the Carnaby thread the B&B are going for 50€ these days, so we should just sell our extra copy of B&L ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 10:43 by gotdablouse.

Date: August 11, 2021 11:52

gotdablouse
Why would it go for more than SF or GHS, especially since it was (apparently) easier to get a hold of?

It won’t go for more. That’s why I will have to trade my Some Girls PLUS some cash for a copy of Sticky Fingers or Goats Red.

Rod

Date: August 11, 2021 11:54

Enough is enough.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: August 11, 2021 13:13

jbwelda
I already have at least 10 copies of the various forms of that record, including I think an orange vinyl edition, plus cds of various reissues, so in this case I decided I had enuff and declined.

Was it the first time that a RS record was pressed on coloured vinyl ?

SG was orange in 1978 in The Netherlands.
And was red in France.

Sticker says "quality is the same than a black vinyl". Bullshit, most of the french coloured vinyls front this era were crap (pink Pink Floyd "Animals", white Queen "A night at the opera"...)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 13:39 by Massimo68.

Date: August 11, 2021 14:00

DandelionPowderman
Enough is enough.

What are you saying? Enough of the reissues of older albums just to grab cash?

Rod

Date: August 11, 2021 17:57

bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Enough is enough.

Probably, and probably true generally.

Though a we've calculated above, they can only be netting around $10,000 per release. That's hardly a cash grab. I think they're doing it to keep engagement and social media discussion up.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:07

treaclefingers
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Enough is enough.

Though a we've calculated above, they can only be netting around $10,000 per release. That's hardly a cash grab. I think they're doing it to keep engagement and social media discussion up.

they lure people into that (web) shop and get them to buy overpriced clothes and merchandise

Date: August 11, 2021 18:18

slewan
treaclefingers
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Enough is enough.

they lure people into that (web) shop and get them to buy overpriced clothes and merchandise

yes that makes sense...probably at least one of the reasons. A 'loss-leader' of sorts.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 11, 2021 18:26

Massimo68
jbwelda
I already have at least 10 copies of the various forms of that record, including I think an orange vinyl edition, plus cds of various reissues, so in this case I decided I had enuff and declined.

Was it the first time that a RS record was pressed on coloured vinyl ?

And was red in France.

Sticker says "quality is the same than a black vinyl". Bullshit, most of the french coloured vinyls front this era were crap (pink Pink Floyd "Animals", white Queen "A night at the opera"...)

Any translucent colored vinyl issue is virgin vinyl, otherwise the color of the disk would not be consistent. So, no reason they should sound crappy. Picture disks were typically the problem when it came to actually playing them, but color vinyl should play and sound fine. So its a mystery why those didn't sound good. I never bothered playing my color vinyl copy that I recall so not sure how that particular one sounds.

jb

Date: August 11, 2021 18:30

treaclefingers
slewan
treaclefingers
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Enough is enough.

yes that makes sense...probably at least one of the reasons. A 'loss-leader' of sorts.

Loss-leaders are usually cheap to attract customers. These are most def not cheap, they are stupid expensive even from the source nevermind the secondary market resellers. So, might be to attract record buyers to the store for "exclusive" pressings but definitely not a loss-leader.

jb

Date: August 11, 2021 19:02

jbwelda
treaclefingers
slewan
treaclefingers
bitusa2012
DandelionPowderman
Enough is enough.

Loss-leaders are usually cheap to attract customers. These are most def not cheap, they are stupid expensive even from the source nevermind the secondary market resellers. So, might be to attract record buyers to the store for "exclusive" pressings but definitely not a loss-leader.

jb

That's why I said, "of sorts". They're not actually taking a loss...just not making any actual money on it either.

Date: August 11, 2021 22:17

jbwelda
Massimo68
And was red in France.

Any translucent colored vinyl issue is virgin vinyl, otherwise the color of the disk would not be consistent. So, no reason they should sound crappy. Picture disks were typically the problem when it came to actually playing them, but color vinyl should play and sound fine. So its a mystery why those didn't sound good. I never bothered playing my color vinyl copy that I recall so not sure how that particular one sounds.

jb

I think I have an answer.
The fourth crappy colored vinyl from this era (1977-1978) was "The Beatles 1967-1970" double blue vinyls.
The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Queen and The Beatles were in the same record company at this time : EMI.
Only the RS vinyl was translucent.
I guess that something was wrong with the vinyl used in the french EMI factory were these colored vinyls were pressed.
(after 15 or 20 listenings, a strong crackle sound appeared with all of them. I've many black vinyls from EMI France from the same era, and nothing like this happened).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-11 22:18 by Massimo68.

Re: New Stones shop in Carnaby Street
Date: August 11, 2021 22:24

I did not know the Stones were ever on EMI. I kind of doubt it actually but sounds like you know more than me so I will concede on that if you insist.

Aside from the vinyl degrading with use or age, the problem could also be using a poor master for the pressing and/or using the same worn out stampers as for previous runs. Happened a lot actually, especially being given poor, multi-gen submasters to use to make the stampers.

jb

Date: August 11, 2021 22:38

jbwelda
I did not know the Stones were ever on EMI. I kind of doubt it actually but sounds like you know more than me so I will concede on that if you insist.

Aside from the vinyl degrading with use or age, the problem could also be using a poor master for the pressing and/or using the same worn out stampers as for previous runs. Happened a lot actually, especially being given poor, multi-gen submasters to use to make the stampers.

jb

[www.nytimes.com]

Date: August 11, 2021 23:00

Well, duh.

thanks
jb

Date: August 12, 2021 10:28

jbwelda
jb

Some Girls (french edition) :

Distributed, manufactured by Pathé Marconi EMI
Pressed at Pathé Marconi EMI, Chatou (town of the pressing plant)

[www.discogs.com]

Same sticker on all the Pathé Marconi EMI colored vinyls.
I was 15-16 years old at this time and colored vinyls was fun to watch. Less fun to listening. winking smiley

Queen "A night at the opera" :

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-08-12 10:51 by Massimo68.

Date: August 17, 2021 14:06

Interesting. The UK order of the Red Some Girls which appeared on my credit card since the second I ordered it, is no longer on the transaction list of my credit card. Yet, in my Rolling Stones account, the order is still listed as confirmed.

My US one has shipped and is obviously still on my credit card transaction list.

Rod

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 17, 2021 15:40

Black and Blue arrived today after about a month but I got it from the US store. I paid € 11 in taxes and customs duties ... but that's okay.
Copacabana, from the US store, is on the way.
Some Girls also, from UK store.
The only one i missing is Goats Head Soup.
If anyone has one to sell at a decent price please contact me
Thanks
G.

Date: August 17, 2021 15:57

Stone601
Black and Blue arrived today after about a month but I got it from the US store. I paid € 11 in taxes and customs duties ... but that's okay.
Thanks
G.

Interesting that GHS and Sticky went up considerably on the resale market, yet the ones that followed not so much. Is it a function of them being first, and the novelty of them wearing out over time with the new issues? If so, why wouldn't the prices for resale on the first two also drop over time?

They were released in the same numbers, 1000 units overall so the only other answer is less demand for Black and Blue, Blue and Lonesome and Some Girls. I could maybe understand that for the first two, but Some Girls is a pretty big album.

Posted by: Stone601 ()
Date: August 17, 2021 18:45

treaclefingers
Stone601
Thanks
G.

Interesting that GHS and Sticky went up considerably on the resale market, yet the ones that followed not so much. Is it a function of them being first, and the novelty of them wearing out over time with the new issues? If so, why wouldn't the prices for resale on the first two also drop over time?

They were released in the same numbers, 1000 units overall so the only other answer is less demand for Black and Blue, Blue and Lonesome and Some Girls. I could maybe understand that for the first two, but Some Girls is a pretty big album.
Maybe because certain records are considered milestones ..... but I really can't explain it to myself ...

Date: August 18, 2021 22:01

Stone601
treaclefingers
Stone601
Thanks
G.

Maybe because certain records are considered milestones ..... but I really can't explain it to myself ...

Agreed. I think I was alluding to that as well, but I think Some Girls would also be in that 'milestone' camp, so a bit perplexing why it doesn't move in price in the same way.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 41

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home