Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones on SHM - CDs - any suggestions?
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 1, 2020 00:35

24FPS

I tried to compare SACD/DSD Stones cuts against the SHM-CDs, but it doesn't work.

A/B comparison works with two Players - via HDMI (for SACD) and SPDIF (for CD) connected to the Amplifier - then simply switch between the sources.

Works also on the Computer - two instances of a HiRes-Player (maybe one of them in a VM), one output via USB (for SACD), the other output via SPDIF (for CD) - then also switch the sources on the Amplifier.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 7, 2020 09:22

Speaking of SHM CDs, I was able to get Steely Dan's Aja at a decent price. Can't wait to hear it. I've been scouring ebay for more Stones SHM CDs. I see Ya Yas pop up in my price range from time to time. I just don't know. I was very disappointed in ABKCO's 2002 SACD version of the live classic. It was flat, and by that I mean being on SACD didn't add anything to it. This was unusual in that I tended to like most of the ABKCO CDs of the pre-71 material.

Has anyone else heard the SHM CD Japan version of Ya Yas? Is it an improvement?

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 7, 2020 11:27

24FPS
Speaking of SHM CDs, I was able to get Steely Dan's Aja at a decent price. Can't wait to hear it. I've been scouring ebay for more Stones SHM CDs. I see Ya Yas pop up in my price range from time to time. I just don't know. I was very disappointed in ABKCO's 2002 SACD version of the live classic. It was flat, and by that I mean being on SACD didn't add anything to it. This was unusual in that I tended to like most of the ABKCO CDs of the pre-71 material.

Has anyone else heard the SHM CD Japan version of Ya Yas? Is it an improvement?
All ABKCO era CDs that were issued between 2002 and 2016 are based on 2002 DSD remaster. No matter country of origin or material used (regular or SHM).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-07 11:34 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 7, 2020 11:30

Buy 'em all ... The ones ya
dont like .... Give To The Poor ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 7, 2020 22:45

Probably already mentioned but "From The Vault" LA Forum and Hampton Coliseum come out on 8/21

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 8, 2020 01:42

georgelicks
The original version available of Fingerprint File on most releases was mastered at a faster speed than the original recording, 6:33 vs 7:01. The version of the song mastered at the correct slower speed was released on the Japanese SHM-SACD.

It's on Youtube too:
[www.youtube.com]

It's sound right but odd, I probably should listen ti it a dozen times to get used to it

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 8, 2020 01:57

Rockman

Rockman,
Your philanthropy matters.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 8, 2020 05:16

Rockman

But then I'd be poor. These Blu Ray and SHM CDs are quite dear. I guess they're no more expensive than those fools paying $30 for vinyl.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 8, 2020 11:27

georgelicks
The original version available of Fingerprint File on most releases was mastered at a faster speed than the original recording, 6:33 vs 7:01. The version of the song mastered at the correct slower speed was released on the Japanese SHM-SACD.

It's on Youtube too:
[www.youtube.com]
Funny enough on half speed mastered IORR vinyl from box set 1971-2016 they speed up FF again. The recent needledrop by PBTHAL gives timing for 9 tracks with accuracy +-1 sec with respect to flat transfer Japanese SHM-CD. FF is 6:43 but not 7:01.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 344
Record Number of Users: 184 on May 17, 2018 22:46
Record Number of Guests: 3948 on December 7, 2015 15:07

Previous page Next page First page IORR home