Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 20:25

The show must go on

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 15, 2023 21:01

Probably mostly marketing of the RS brand... The LOGO on anything they can think of.

Not much musically anymore, I am afraid...

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 15, 2023 21:02

Probably mostly marketing of the RS brand... The LOGO on anything they can think of.

Not much musically anymore I am afraid...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 21:09

Does anyone remember Axl Rose helping out AC/DC? He was sitting in a chair, one leg in plaster, but ... he did a great job (I honestly didn't like him for some years). Lots of respect there.

So in case Mick has a knee problem or whatever, not allowing him to run around the stage, it doesn't mean the end of the world. There is always some solution to deal with it. How about Mick surrounded by a couple of beautiful nurses (I'm inspired by THAT poster ...grinning smiley). I'm sure he'll be fine in no time soon. You might even find me front of stage surrounded by ???? But I guarantee you, I will be swinging grinning smiley (one way or the other).

The show must go on? The show WILL go on smileys with beer

I'm a GHOST living in a ghost town

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 21:27

Mick will never agree to tour unless he feels they can still deliver, that’s for sure

Date: August 15, 2023 21:33

tomcat2006
Mick will never agree to tour unless he feels they can still deliver, that’s for sure

You mean that "deliver" has only one option? Mick has been playing with phalluses on stage, kicking balloon girls, like "Angie" and "Ruby Tuesday" (that's what they were nicknamed during the Urban Jungle tour), being eaten by a wolf, etc. etc. Some surrounding himself with some beautiful nurses would not be an option?

Come on ...smileys with beer

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: August 15, 2023 21:35

tomcat2006

This much is true, I would agree !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 15, 2023 22:16

To paulywaul and everyone. My thought is at Berlin 2022 they pushed it out hard. Maybe so much so that someone got hurt. That's just my speculation. Anyway, they will deliver the goods as always, that's their credo. I really do hope they will come back next year to dazzle us with more. To repeat myself I really want to see the the connection between Darryl and Steve grow. They were on to something in my opinion. Together with The Glimmers (and Ronnie) they can achieve greatness. Again and most respectfully no offense to Charlie. I think about him sometimes.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2023 22:49

pftw04
Songs like Jumping Jack clash, a song that attracted me to THE ROLLING STONES and still attracts me was performed lot slower than 2018 or 2019 in 2022. Yes guitars powerful but vocal wise something was missing in 2022.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

First one is of 2019. Can you compare the vocal performance? Guitar wise both are strong

2019 it was the opener. 2022 it was third of three closers. Of course his vocal performance was different!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 15, 2023 23:21

keefriffhards
pftw04
Songs like Jumping Jack clash, a song that attracted me to THE ROLLING STONES and still attracts me was performed lot slower than 2018 or 2019 in 2022. Yes guitars powerful but vocal wise something was missing in 2022.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

First one is of 2019. Can you compare the vocal performance? Guitar wise both are strong

Exactly what i was saying, Mick just hanging on in 2022, going through the motions, desperately trying to pace himself to save energy and the vocals are weak.
Honestly don't understand why they play stadiums at this age, he would have so much more energy in a smaller venue with smaller stages.
This is why i don't understand "No Tour" because of NFL stadiums being booked up, there are other options if Mick genuinely wants to tour. Mick was determined to tour in 2021 against all the odds when he wanted to.

You're leaving one huge important aspect out:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The amount of time they tour per year, arenas won't work. Insurance, promoter guarantees, it all factors in. Now. In 1999 the NO SECURITY tour tickets were way more expensive! They also did 34 shows in NA.

I bet they'd love to play (hockey/basketball) arenas! They sound better, the stage is cheaper, but to supply demand, stadiums rule the world.

From 1969-1976 they played arenas (not 100%, I know). 1978-1998 football (American and European) stadiums, with the odd amphitheatre, arena and even theatre show(s).

1999-2007 arenas and stadiums and two of those years included clubs/ballrooms.

Post-BANG it's been all football stadiums or big outdoor spaces (as far as I recall, anyway).

The Rolling Stones revolutionized the concert industry, basically, and it started in 1969.

When The Rolling Stones wanted to charge eight dollars for their show at the Los Angeles Forum in 1969, there was considerable outrage and Rolling Stone ran the headline “The Rolling Stones Impose High Ticket Prices for U.S. Tour.”

“Can the Rolling Stones actually need all that money?” San Francisco Chronicle rock critic Ralph Gleason asked. “If they really dig the black musicians as much as every note they play and every syllable they utter indicates, is it possible to take out a show with, say, Ike and Tina and some of the older men like Howlin’ Wolf and let them share in the loot? How much can the Stones take back to Merrie England after taxes, anyway? How much must the British manager and the American manager and the agency rake off the top?

“Paying five, six and seven dollars for a Stones concert at the Oakland Coliseum for, say, an hour of the Stones seen a quarter of a mile away because the artists demand such outrageous fees that they can only be obtained under these circumstances, says a very bad thing to me about the artists’ attitude towards the public. It says they despise their own audience.”

Concert promoter Bill Graham was so outraged he publicly called Mick Jagger a prick.

[americanahighways.org]

As Mick said whenever, 1999 or 2003, if one can afford season tickets to the NFL, NBA or NHL they can afford Stones tickets.

Unless the insurers decline, The Rolling Stones will be touring for years. Health, obviously, granted.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 15, 2023 23:33

schillid

Not much musically anymore, I am afraid...

Things like this you mean:
Stones Playing Cards

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 15, 2023 23:41

GasLightStreet

Unless the insurers decline, The Rolling Stones will be touring for years. Health, obviously, granted.

No doubt. But I just don't get why money is a motivator for these guys to tour. They already have more money than God. What can Mick do with $800 million that he can't do with $500 million??

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 23:42 by drewmaster.

Date: August 15, 2023 23:42

Buy a couple extra mansions.

Date: August 15, 2023 23:49

keefriffhards
pftw04

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Exactly what i was saying, Mick just hanging on in 2022, going through the motions, desperately trying to pace himself to save energy and the vocals are weak.
Honestly don't understand why they play stadiums at this age, he would have so much more energy in a smaller venue with smaller stages.
This is why i don't understand "No Tour" because of NFL stadiums being booked up, there are other options if Mick genuinely wants to tour. Mick was determined to tour in 2021 against all the odds when he wanted to.

Agree 100% keefriff. And it is clear that it is a money issue, but what do the Stones need more money for? I have been thinking this for years that it is really this drive to play huge stadium rock that is taking the roll out of the stone. I mean, they are 80 years old. Why are we expecting 80 year olds to run across a stage for 2 hours?

Date: August 15, 2023 23:52

VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious. He's a smart man. Having even more mansions cannot be that interesting to him.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-15 23:53 by drewmaster.

Posted by: Pvk2 ()
Date: August 16, 2023 02:36

Miami 2019 version.. which was sadlyJJF Miami 2019 Opening Charlie’s last show.

Date: August 16, 2023 06:58

drewmaster
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious. He's a smart man. Having even more mansions cannot be that interesting to him.

Drew

I was fully tongue in cheek there.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 16, 2023 13:13

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near" rhymed one dude a long ago.

To me, following the Stones has been always been 'carpe diem'. Not a bad stragedy since I started doing it back in 1981. Why to worry about the future - now it looks good. If something happens that makes it impossible for them to roll any longer, well, let's worry about it then. But we are not there yet. There is a new album coming out, and they might tour next year. For an old fan boy like me, that's pretty exciting and I enjoy every minute - you know, having realist-sounding scenarios like that to wait. For example, it looked and felt much worse between the end of A BIGGER BANG tour and the 50th Anniversary thing, since there was not any kind of certain activity in horizon for years. I need to admit that occasionally I was pretty sure that they were done (and I think the band for a while thought so too: the new record deal in 2008 didn't include new studio albums, Keith was seriously thinking retirement, etc.).

You know, my dear futurologists, probably we all are pretty sure that there is no Rolling Stones in ten years time or so, but who cares it now (or probably one could time-travel in mind there to see how lucky we are right now). Carpe diem. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-16 13:16 by Doxa.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: August 16, 2023 13:39

frankotero
To paulywaul and everyone. My thought is at Berlin 2022 they pushed it out hard. Maybe so much so that someone got hurt. That's just my speculation. Anyway, they will deliver the goods as always, that's their credo. I really do hope they will come back next year to dazzle us with more. To repeat myself I really want to see the the connection between Darryl and Steve grow. They were on to something in my opinion. Together with The Glimmers (and Ronnie) they can achieve greatness. Again and most respectfully no offense to Charlie. I think about him sometimes.

Wow! You think about Charlie SOMETIMES! You make it sound like you are doing him a favour. For some of us we think about him ALWAYS! I don't care how good - or otherwise - Steve Jordan is! For some of us, Charlie will always be THE MAN!

Date: August 16, 2023 13:46

GasLightStreet

....As Mick said whenever, 1999 or 2003, if one can afford season tickets to the NFL, NBA or NHL they can afford Stones tickets.

You reckon? At their ages? How many years you reckon? At stadium level? Small clubs?

I have to say, I can't agree about YEARS! Maybe (??) one more tour, and even that depends on much more than insurers playing ball...But then maybe I'm simply being over cautious? What the heck do I know?

Date: August 16, 2023 14:26

VoodooLounge13
drewmaster
VoodooLounge13

Drew

Ha - I thought so! So the question remains: is Mick driven by a lust for even more million$? (And if so, what does he intend to spend it on?)

Drew

Date: August 16, 2023 15:40

drewmaster
VoodooLounge13
drewmaster
VoodooLounge13

Drew

Ha - I thought so! So the question remains: is Mick driven by a lust for even more million$? (And if so, what does he intend to spend it on?)

Drew

It's a great question, Drew. I mean all of his kids have to be set up very well, financially, at this point. Is it an ego thing? How much can one amass? I really don't know.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 16, 2023 16:02

We IORRians might not be the only ones wondering the money issue.

Eva Jagger said of her son: “I always had the feeling that Mike would be something. He was a very adventurous boy when he was younger, but then later he became interested in money. It always struck [me] as odd. Money doesn’t usually interest little boys, but it did Mike.”

grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: August 16, 2023 16:14

GerardHennessy
For some of us we think about him ALWAYS!

Actually I don't think of any Stones "always" and I'm a maniac fan. Or so I thought.winking smiley

Date: August 16, 2023 19:37

frankotero
GerardHennessy

Actually I don't think of any Stones "always" and I'm a maniac fan. Or so I thought.winking smiley

Well it sounded quite condescending. As if Charlie - a founder member of the band and a cornerstone of ALL their greatest successes - was a mere afterthought. Suddenly Steve Jordan, who will never be more than a bit part player, was the centrepiece of your thoughts. And his relationship with DJ - another hired hand - was the only game in town.

However, having said all that, I may well be misunderstanding your meaning. And may be wrong in what I have said. As a fellow Stones fan you deserve my respect andI certainly offer you that,

Keep on rocking...

Date: August 16, 2023 20:44

Hi Gerard. I would say there was a definite misunderstanding. Sometimes text is impossible to convey proper meaning. Of course I love Charlie. But I do sometimes feel different to other fans because I've accepted the new line up. This can not diminish the incredible past. I say let's enjoy the ride.smileys with beer

Date: August 16, 2023 21:31

GerardHennessy
frankotero
GerardHennessy

Well it sounded quite condescending. As if Charlie - a founder member of the band and a cornerstone of ALL their greatest successes - was a mere afterthought. Suddenly Steve Jordan, who will never be more than a bit part player, was the centrepiece of your thoughts. And his relationship with DJ - another hired hand - was the only game in town.

However, having said all that, I may well be misunderstanding your meaning. And may be wrong in what I have said. As a fellow Stones fan you deserve my respect andI certainly offer you that,

Keep on rocking...

I love Charlie - and miss him dearly - as much as the next person, but I've never understood how he's often called a founding member. He was the last to join the band, after they'd finally secured a 2nd consistent gig. They were already 'founded' by the time he came onboard. Am I missing something with that?

Date: August 16, 2023 23:29

VoodooLounge13
GerardHennessy
frankotero
GerardHennessy

Keep on rocking...

I love Charlie - and miss him dearly - as much as the next person, but I've never understood how he's often called a founding member. He was the last to join the band, after they'd finally secured a 2nd consistent gig. They were already 'founded' by the time he came onboard. Am I missing something with that?

That feels pretty much like a founding member to me. Okay so he was a few months after everyone else. But that hardly disqualifies him from being considered a founding member. It sure as heck was NOT The Stones as we know them before he joined. And I say this with all due deference to Tony Chapman, Mick Avory & Steve Harris, all of whom drifted in and out of the band in 1962.

However, out of respect for your wish to be totally and microscopically accurate in every respect I will refer to him as lifelong drummer in The Stones and leave it at that.

It hardly matters in any significant way now after all. And, for my money, I'll take him in preference to Steve Jordan any day.

Date: August 17, 2023 10:50

GerardHennessy
VoodooLounge13
GerardHennessy
frankotero
GerardHennessy

Keep on rocking...

That feels pretty much like a founding member to me. Okay so he was a few months after everyone else. But that hardly disqualifies him from being considered a founding member. It sure as heck was NOT The Stones as we know them before he joined. And I say this with all due deference to Tony Chapman, Mick Avory & Steve Harris, all of whom drifted in and out of the band in 1962.

However, out of respect for your wish to be totally and microscopically accurate in every respect I will refer to him as lifelong drummer in The Stones and leave it at that.

It hardly matters in any significant way now after all. And, for my money, I'll take him in preference to Steve Jordan any day.

Here we go again. The term "founding" is often used for the wrong reasons. By giving Charlie the title "founding member" one basically disrespects his personal feelings on the history of The Rollin(s) Stones. In his own words "he joined the Rollin(s) Stones".
Off course the fast majority of us came to know The Rolling Stones when Bill and Charlie were already part of the band. Charlie makes part of my almost 60 years of being a Rolling Stones "maniac", I had the privilege to meet him a couple of times, him being a true very kind gentleman, etc. etc.
But .... that doesn't make him (or Bill for that matter) a founding member at any time.
By the way, Mick Avory was never part of the Rollin' Stones, despite what was written in Live.
The Rolling Stones are what they are today. Sadly enough without the great Charlie Watts (hopefully he will still be on the new album though winking smiley)
Long live The Rolling Stones smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 17, 2023 11:27

Charlie may not have been a "founding member"...

...but he quickly became the foundations

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 25 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1869
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home