Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 8, 2020 02:18

I'm looking forward to a return tour with fair ticket availability and pricing! That would give us "common ground and harmony"! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-08 02:22 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 8, 2020 02:51

MileHigh
Nobody is saying that they have to stop touring. But in life there are times when you turn a page. If they turned the page on touring then people should not get upset and respect their choice.

You can imagine that there would be a lot of soul searching on this board if they did a new-style major tour of 15 to 25 stadium shows and there was some kind of disaster. Whitney Houston tried a comeback tour towards the end and she was all screwed up and she couldn't sing and people were upset and walking out of her shows. She got scathing reviews. I would hate to see something like that happen to our boys. Apparently Steven Tyler has fallen off the stage multiple times. Ten feet down onto a concrete floor would not be good.

If Charlie says no, then so be it. And when you think about it, he is the one that is probably the most prone to having a heart attack. An 81-year-old man doing a two-hour outdoor show on a hot and humid summer day? Come on. Yes, the air conditioning can break down 15 minutes before the start of the show. Imagine the soul searching if he didn't make it through a concert.

There are real issues to contemplate. You know the old cliche of the audience's desire for more and more and pushing the performer over the edge. It's the phenomenon of mob mentality and abandoning individual responsibility and then suffering the consequences. Don't forget that was part of Elvis Presley's demise. He had to tour to keep the whole operation going and to keep paying his posse because he had no real money and without touring the whole thing was going to collapse.

What I am really saying is try to take a look at both sides of the equation.

Lots to ponder in this post:...soul searching...a Whitney Houston style downfall...Steven Tyler falling off the stage...the air conditioning breaking down...the phenomenon of mob mentality....Elvis Presley's demise...
Could be the seeds of a new Stones song in the making . winking smiley

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 8, 2020 09:39

MileHigh
Nobody is saying that they have to stop touring. But in life there are times when you turn a page. If they turned the page on touring then people should not get upset and respect their choice.

You can imagine that there would be a lot of soul searching on this board if they did a new-style major tour of 15 to 25 stadium shows and there was some kind of disaster. Whitney Houston tried a comeback tour towards the end and she was all screwed up and she couldn't sing and people were upset and walking out of her shows. She got scathing reviews. I would hate to see something like that happen to our boys. Apparently Steven Tyler has fallen off the stage multiple times. Ten feet down onto a concrete floor would not be good.

If Charlie says no, then so be it. And when you think about it, he is the one that is probably the most prone to having a heart attack. An 81-year-old man doing a two-hour outdoor show on a hot and humid summer day? Come on. Yes, the air conditioning can break down 15 minutes before the start of the show. Imagine the soul searching if he didn't make it through a concert.

There are real issues to contemplate. You know the old cliche of the audience's desire for more and more and pushing the performer over the edge. It's the phenomenon of mob mentality and abandoning individual responsibility and then suffering the consequences. Don't forget that was part of Elvis Presley's demise. He had to tour to keep the whole operation going and to keep paying his posse because he had no real money and without touring the whole thing was going to collapse.

What I am really saying is try to take a look at both sides of the equation.

Don't underestimate the the sense of reality of Stones fans. Over the decades some really tricky things have happened to members of the band. Already way back in the 60s both Bill and Keith, on seperate occasions, have been electrocuted by faulty equipment. There have been car crashes. During the 1972 tour Keith at least once fell of the stage stoned (it's recorded somewhere). Mick and Keith flying in a Concorde that got major technical problems, Keith's brain surgery in New Zealand, Charlie's throat surgery, Mick's heart surgery, not to mention the serious problem that Ronnie had, etc., etc., (could be a "long running" new thread here on IORR).
No need to worry ahead. Only, sad enough, Brian didn't survive, but the Stones are closing in on their 59th Anniversary smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 8, 2020 09:46

and dont forget that Keef
slipped on frankfurter lobbed on stage while playing a concert in Frankfurt, ..

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2020 09:48

and dont forget that Keef slipped
on a frankfurter while on stage in Frankfurt, ..

Man that one got the sauce in me really flowin' .....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2020 10:21

Rockman
and dont forget that Keef
slipped on frankfurter lobbed on stage while playing a concert in Frankfurt, ..

+ the Hamburg incident winking smiley

Date: November 8, 2020 10:24

Yeah Yeah Dandy that one
made me blood turn ta ketchup .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 8, 2020 11:50

bv
Stoneage
bv
The Rolling Stones will never pull the plug on performing live or recording. They just have to wait out the pandemic. It will take a year or so, then they will be back.

Why? What's the point? They have played the same setlist with 50 year old hits now for decades. Why carry on with that when you're 80? Isn't it getting a bit stale by now? Even for you, BV?

Because they love what they do. Unlike some others, I love them for what they do. Every single live Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler and so is like the first one for me. Just like I don't get bored of my wife and my family, I don't get bored of the Stones.

I can't follow you there.

I do not fancy that analogy about the wife. But following its logic, I find it strange to demand from that wife always to represent what she was a long time before, not allowing that person to change.

We know why Mick Jagger gave up his former attitude. It is all about the empty stares in parts of their audiences on hearing songs that they are not immediately familiar with. And once installed as a pattern of fearful thinking, it led to conservative choices of setlists.

Somehow my own reactions as listener are the mirror of Mick Jagger's original attitude. I have a need for variation and development. With the Stones' ability to communicate and deliver, I would be in raptures experiencing setlists of good and semi-great songs instead of repetions of the same very greatest songs from the past that to me belong to that past. I consider also this to be a way of loving a band. That is, to meet their further development with passionate interest, not restrict them to years that are passed.

Last edit: Correction of a printing error

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-08 19:47 by Witness.

Date: November 8, 2020 12:11

Stoneage
Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a moment then. There is an irony in this. The same man who couldn't imagine himself playing Satisfaction over and over again when he turned 40 is not doing exactly that reaching 80. The same man who broke up the band in the early 80's because he thought they were too old is now touring with the same band playing exactly the same songs over and over again. The same man who constantly wanted to be in the frontline, following trends is now stuck in a 1972 time capsule. The same man who insisted it was essential to have a new album out before touring once again has now toured for decades on the same 1968 to 1972 albums. Do you follow me? Do you see the irony?

It is not an irony on Mick Jagger's behalf though. Instead it represents his resignation to the conservatism of the large audiences of Rolling Stones concerts.

But somehow it is an irony on the behalf of those passionate fans, who earlier experienced a developing Rolling Stones, and who so much would have wished for continued development of the Rolling Stones, but who are outnumbered by the large audiences.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 8, 2020 12:45

For some strange reason I managed to replace now with not on two occasions. I should have noticed that when I read it through. But no...t!
Sorry, it's the worst of spelling errors since it changes the meaning of the text. Can I blame it on a troll or something?

Date: November 8, 2020 17:44

Witness
Stoneage
Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a moment then. There is an irony in this. The same man who couldn't imagine himself playing Satisfaction over and over again when he turned 40 is not doing exactly that reaching 80. The same man who broke up the band in the early 80's because he thought they were too old is now touring with the same band playing exactly the same songs over and over again. The same man who constantly wanted to be in the frontline, following trends is now stuck in a 1972 time capsule. The same man who insisted it was essential to have a new album out before touring once again has now toured for decades on the same 1968 to 1972 albums. Do you follow me? Do you see the irony?

It is not an irony on Mick Jagger's behalf though. Instead it represents his resignation to the conservatism of the large audiences of Rolling Stones concerts.

But somehow it is an irony on the behalf of those passionate fans, who earlier experienced a developing Rolling Stones, and who so much would have wished for continued development of the Rolling Stones, but who are outnumbered by the large audiences.

I like your "outnumbering" quote, because that's what it is. I spoke to Pierre de Beauport in 1999 in Maastricht (before the Landgraaf concert). He was wondering what motivated diehard fans to go to Stones concerts to listen to the mostly "old songs". He also said that the Stones basically had no choice but to focus with their setlist on the outnumbering number of visitors who would only "know" the Stones from their greatest hits.
But the Stones "came back" on this with this great Licks Tour including club shows! Great set lists!
By the way, Mick never dismantled or broke up the Stones in the early 80s, Stoneage. Rubbish. It was merely a household clash that solved itself in the end cool smiley

Date: November 8, 2020 18:22

georgie48
Witness
Stoneage

I like your "outnumbering" quote, because that's what it is. I spoke to Pierre de Beauport in 1999 in Maastricht (before the Landgraaf concert). He was wondering what motivated diehard fans to go to Stones concerts to listen to the mostly "old songs". He also said that the Stones basically had no choice but to focus with their setlist on the outnumbering number of visitors who would only "know" the Stones from their greatest hits.
But the Stones "came back" on this with this great Licks Tour including club shows! Great set lists!
By the way, Mick never dismantled or broke up the Stones in the early 80s, Stoneage. Rubbish. It was merely a household clash that solved itself in the end cool smiley

Interesting, Georgie! Because they 'came back' that very same year on the NS arena tour with lots of deep cuts in the setlist smiling smiley

And that tour must have inspired them to do the Licks tour concept, surely?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 8, 2020 18:37

I agree that the 2002/2003 tour, and perhaps the 1999 tour also, was an exception to the rule. Luckily I was able to attend the Stockholm Trilogy in 2003.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 8, 2020 18:41

It's logical to look at the fall of the record industry relating to the Stones playing their greatest hits for almost the entirety of their set lists from 2005 onward and not recording new albums. That's not their fault other than still being a band playing live with a huge catalog that has established hits, with nothing past Start Me Up being relevant in regard to that overall.

Their mode of new album and play new songs on tour after 1981-82 continued with STEEL WHEELS, VOODOO LOUNGE and BRIDGES TO BABYLON. Since then they've released one original studio album, one covers album, three greatest hits comps and one stand alone single, all of that done in the miniscule timeline of 2002-2020, basically one generation. The creative part went from new albums to the shows, with LICKS being the most diverse tour ever, with the only exception being the stadium shows.

They've simply been playing to their age. They don't care, obviously, about any criticism of them not being a new music producing band because they've got the ticket numbers to say that it doesn't matter.

As it continues in whatever way it can.

Date: November 8, 2020 19:41

A correction in an earlier post became a new post due to my clumsiness.

When that has happened, I might as well give a short answer to GasLightStreet's post:

The relative lack of wish from the Stones to make further albums is probably largely due to diminished incentives to do so. This is a result of the minor interest in their new albums during the later decades. Even fans have seemed to be quite reserved and not willing to present nuanced evaluations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-08 20:37 by Witness.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 8, 2020 21:38

A very simple question:

If, after three years years with no touring, if The Rolling Stones arranged for a new show in 2022, in your own home city, would you go, or would you rather stay at home, doing something else?

Bjornulf

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 8, 2020 21:43

bv
A very simple question:

If, after three years years with no touring, if The Rolling Stones arranged for a new show in 2022, in your own home city, would you go, or would you rather stay at home, doing something else?

My city, yes. My country, yes. My planet, most likely as there are places I would not go for any reason.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: November 8, 2020 22:07

BV- If they played Chicago or St. Louis, yes! Other than that...no. I still have my St. Louis Tix. I know it's a long shot but...worth holding onto until the tour is officially cancelled. BONUS ANSWER-Other than the Stones and AC/DC, I am probably retired from Stadium shows and shows that I travel too. Going forward, mostly just local arena and theatre shows close to my home town of Peoria, IL.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 8, 2020 22:10

bv

A very simple question: If, after three years years with no touring, if The Rolling Stones arranged for a new show in 2022, in your own home city, would you go, or would you rather stay at home, doing something else?

I would do something else - since my home city is way too small as that the Stones would ever play there .... winking smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 8, 2020 22:12

bv
A very simple question:

I'd be thrilled and delighted to go just about anywhere.

Date: November 8, 2020 22:15

if The Rolling Stones arranged for a new show in 2022, in your own home city, would you go, or would you rather stay at home, doing something else?

They can stay at my home for free ....

I'd even help build the stage ..........

ROCKMAN

Date: November 8, 2020 22:24

Materials of the Drumcondra Bay Pier can be used to construct the stage. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-08 22:24 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 8, 2020 22:55

The Rolling Stones are highly loyal to their fans and their plans. I would not be surprised if they do a tour in USA whenever it is safe to tour, may be in 2022. Also, I think they might do something on "home ground" at one point. Keith would have to fly over, like he did when Mick had his heart surgery recovery, during the 2019 rehearsals. It is not over yet. We just have to wait a bit. Patience.

Bjornulf

Date: November 8, 2020 23:03

bv
A very simple question:

I last saw the Stones in concert in 2017, travelling from (a town southwest of) Oslo to Stockholm. It was a delightful experience that concert. (I saw the Stones two times the preceding year.) But with the largely unchanged setlists, I knew that once was enough for me the last time. And with continued largely unchanged setlists I thought then that I would need 5-6 years until I would want to see a concert with them again, provided that both the band and I would still exist at that time. However, then again only once.

Seen from now, I would at such a point in time be prepared to let that happen in any concert venue in Scandinavia. If necessary, possibly also out of Scandinavia. (The Rolling Stones will never play in my home town, even if I saw Bob Dylan in my home town on two following nights in 1981.)

With setlists with 5-6 new songs I would be keen to see the band more than once.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 8, 2020 23:39

If I could get great seats, particularly at an arena sized venue, without a whole bunch of pain ($ aside, I would not be cheap when it came to excellent seats at a nice venue), then I would be in. This would be in San Francisco bay area. Sure bet, I would be in though I would be hoping for something other than the typical cookie cutter show.

Playing the Echoplex in LA again or the Wiltern Theatre or a place like that? I would throw down just about anything it cost to be in on it. If it were at the Echoplex then I have inside connections so that would be most realistic situation for that to happen.

jb

Date: November 8, 2020 23:52

DandelionPowderman
georgie48
Witness
Stoneage

Interesting, Georgie! Because they 'came back' that very same year on the NS arena tour with lots of deep cuts in the setlist smiling smiley

And that tour must have inspired them to do the Licks tour concept, surely?

I was getting a bit confused, DP, but the 1999 NA arena tour you mentioned was before the European part. Landgraaf was the one but last concert of the Stones in 1999. But it could very well be that thought exchanges with fans may have added to the Licks tour concept. Hard to say. What I do know for sure (it happened to me) is that people who are part of the Stones entourage do talk to fans and ideas may develop from there.
Personally I, just like bv for instance, love to be surprised by the band at any time. LIAGT is an example. Some way we have a very deep trust in the band, difficult to explain, but it must be the total of everything that has happened over the past decades. We're confident that we'll be pleasantly surprised again.
smileys with beer

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 8, 2020 23:53

Even the die-hard fans are going to have issues if over half the setlist is deep cuts and never-played tracks. There is no guarantee that that is going to work. On top of that, the energy in the arena/stadium would plummet. I think there would be a lot of discomfort. So I think that for some people that's something to contemplate some more.

The idea of a major change-up in the setlists is something that I think is out of time. They were still young enough in the 1980s to pull that off with skill, determination, and passion. A bunch of guys in their forties honing their skills. It's a missed opportunity in the sense that they could have done arena tours every two years throughout the Eighties.

I have soured on stadium shows, they feel like a cynical cash grab to me.

The bottom line in this: The way forward would be a near-identical clone of what transpired in the past four or five years, with an extra layer of rust on top.

Personally, the only way I would go see them again would be at an arena show in my city where the ticket price is 100 dollars or less.

I saw them at the Rose Garden Arena in Portland (now the Moda Center) both nights in 1997 and it was fantastic. I saw them several times after that, but those two concerts were definitely the last great time for me.

Date: November 9, 2020 00:38

I have soured on stadium shows, they feel like a cynical cash grab to me.

The bottom line in this: The way forward would be a near-identical clone of what transpired in the past four or five years, with an extra layer of rust on top.

Personally, the only way I would go see them again would be at an arena show in my city where the ticket price is 100 dollars or less.

That is a great mitigation to the current state of affairs! I could not agree more.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: November 9, 2020 00:47

Rockman
if The Rolling Stones arranged for a new show in 2022, in your own home city, would you go, or would you rather stay at home, doing something else?

They can stay at my home for free ....

I agree I'd help too Rocky......but my house is closer than yours to the venue!

The Stones should come and tour Australia / NZ in 2021 as there are very low or no infection rates here. Broadcast the gig to the rest of the world to keep their spirits up especially for Europe & the USA.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Date: November 9, 2020 00:53

Cool coincidence No Security Tour 1999 - No Filter Tour 2019 then Licks Tour 2002/03 - probably 60th anniversary tour 2022/23

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home