Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 26
Re: Why not pull the plug on touring and bow out gracefully?
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: November 7, 2020 10:02

MisterDDDD
Rockman
Keef dont wash ... so there aint no plug ....

Not known to bow either, gracefully or otherwise winking smiley

How about this one? I took it on my birthday in Raleigh SD in 2015. To me this looks like a graceful, modest Japanese style bow winking smiley

Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 7, 2020 11:02

MileHigh
One final magical concert at Royal Albert Hall. Filmed in 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos sound.

To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven

A time to build up
A time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven

Pete Seeger would be looking down from up on high in approval.

And Seeger stole the lyrics straight off from the Old Testament, Ecclesiastes. Nothing wrong with that though. The lyrics are timeless.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 7, 2020 12:30

The Rolling Stones will never pull the plug on performing live or recording. They just have to wait out the pandemic. It will take a year or so, then they will be back.

Bjornulf

Posted by: StonedAsiaExile ()
Date: November 7, 2020 13:14

georgie48
MisterDDDD
Rockman

How about this one? I took it on my birthday in Raleigh SD in 2015. To me this looks like a graceful, modest Japanese style bow winking smiley

NC spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: November 7, 2020 13:29

bv
The Rolling Stones will never pull the plug on performing live or recording. They just have to wait out the pandemic. It will take a year or so, then they will be back.

Why? What's the point? They have played the same setlist with 50 year old hits now for decades. Why carry on with that when you're 80? Isn't it getting a bit stale by now? Even for you, BV?

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 7, 2020 13:40

Stoneage
bv

Why? What's the point? They have played the same setlist with 50 year old hits now for decades. Why carry on with that when you're 80? Isn't it getting a bit stale by now? Even for you, BV?

Because they love what they do. Unlike some others, I love them for what they do. Every single live Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler and so is like the first one for me. Just like I don't get bored of my wife and my family, I don't get bored of the Stones.

Bjornulf

Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: November 7, 2020 13:53

Totally I’m with BV on this, I’d like more songs BUT having seen them in Marseille 18, I felt they need make no apology for playing the same songs because they are always different.
Jagger was singing SO WELL on the latter NO FILTER tour, Charlie doing wonderful drum improvisations on Midnight, Keith playing lovely heavy choppy guitar especially on StreeetFM, and Ronnie just being so on game, and loving LIVINGIAGT, and the rebooted GHS and extra tracks.
Just need a NEW ALBUM!!!

Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: November 7, 2020 13:54

As long as the Stones keep playing, I will see them. No matter what they play. The same with Dylan.

Date: November 7, 2020 14:53

StonedAsiaExile
georgie48
MisterDDDD
Rockman

NC spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Off course! I forgive myself, being an old youngster grinning smiley
The weather was so nice, I remember, it felt like South Carolina smileys with beer
No, reality is that I remember that we paid a brief visit to Georgia on the way to the Smoky Mountains. Looking at the map South Carolina is east of Georgia and not north.
Never mind, it was a beautiful birthday gift, that great concert in Raleigh. A a great bow by Keith grinning smiley

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: November 7, 2020 15:50

GeorgV
As long as the Stones keep playing, I will see them. No matter what they play. The same with Dylan.

I agree. Dylan not so much although I do appreciate him.

Date: November 7, 2020 17:20

It appears that Charlie is looking at his iphone.
Now of course he isn't as the invention of the iphone was still 40 years away at the time

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: November 7, 2020 18:41

bv
Stoneage
bv

Because they love what they do. Unlike some others, I love them for what they do. Every single live Gimme Shelter, Street Fighting Man, Midnight Rambler and so is like the first one for me. Just like I don't get bored of my wife and my family, I don't get bored of the Stones.

I agree. If they are 80 and still enjoy performing, why not? They continue to sell out stadiums all over the world. It tells me that their music is timeless. If it bothers anyone, don't go to the shows. But how can someone criticize the band for doing what they love to do and introducing a new generation to their music?

Date: November 7, 2020 19:06

Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a moment then. There is an irony in this. The same man who couldn't imagine himself playing Satisfaction over and over again when he turned 40 is now doing exactly that reaching 80. The same man who broke up the band in the early 80's because he thought they were too old is now touring with the same band playing exactly the same songs over and over again. The same man who constantly wanted to be in the frontline, following trends is now stuck in a 1972 time capsule. The same man who insisted it was essential to have a new album out before touring once again has now toured for decades on the same 1968 to 1972 albums. Do you follow me? Do you see the irony?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-08 12:34 by Stoneage.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 7, 2020 19:55

Stoneage

Do you follow me? Do you see the irony?

Yes, but: "The Times They Are a-Changin’ .... " winking smiley

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 7, 2020 19:58

Stoneage
Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a moment then. There is an irony in this. The same man who couldn't imagine himself playing Satisfaction over and over again when he turned 40 is not doing exactly that reaching 80. The same man who broke up the band in the early 80's because he thought they were too old is now touring with the same band playing exactly the same songs over and over again. The same man who constantly wanted to be in the frontline, following trends is not stuck in a time capsule outdated in 1981. The same man who insisted it was essential to have a new album out before touring once again has now toured for decades on the same 1968 to 1972 albums. Do you follow me? Do you see the irony?

Stoneage mate, it ain't irony. It's the same pattern all of us fire signs have in common, we can aknowledge if some else is right, we can afford being open-minded and we can be generous and admit we're wrong.
I myself love being wrong if I don't lose too much from it, cause it means I've learned somethingsmileys with beer

Mick just understands he is a legend when together with the other lads. And we all love him for this. Bless

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-07 19:59 by MadMax.

Date: November 7, 2020 20:00

DaveG
bv
Stoneage
bv

I agree. If they are 80 and still enjoy performing, why not? They continue to sell out stadiums all over the world. It tells me that their music is timeless. If it bothers anyone, don't go to the shows. But how can someone criticize the band for doing what they love to do and introducing a new generation to their music?

I agree, when they put out SAD SAD SAD on the last outing, just Freaking CELESTIAL!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 7, 2020 20:04

Stoneage
Okay, let me play devil's advocate for a moment then. There is an irony in this. The same man who couldn't imagine himself playing Satisfaction over and over again when he turned 40 is not doing exactly that reaching 80. The same man who broke up the band in the early 80's because he thought they were too old is now touring with the same band playing exactly the same songs over and over again. The same man who constantly wanted to be in the frontline, following trends is not stuck in a time capsule outdated in 1981. The same man who insisted it was essential to have a new album out before touring once again has now toured for decades on the same 1968 to 1972 albums. Do you follow me? Do you see the irony?

The irony doesn’t count for anything.Think bigger. People change, times change, and no one should be held to statements made decades ago about a career choice, especially on the path that is Mick Jaggers life. I see respect and sympathy, he managed a life that most couldn’t, and he is still thriving.

Date: November 7, 2020 20:04

And they show you, both men and women that life ain't over just because ya had another birthday. I personally can't wait to seduce my woman and mother of my children with red roses and some suprise when she is 67 and a half, just knowing what a d***y little...

.....and then we cut to a new song by Keith Richards, Little T & A!

smileys with beer

Date: November 7, 2020 20:30

MadMax
Stoneage

Stoneage mate, it ain't irony. It's the same pattern all of us fire signs have in common, we can aknowledge if some else is right, we can afford being open-minded and we can be generous and admit we're wrong.
I myself love being wrong if I don't lose too much from it, cause it means I've learned somethingsmileys with beer

Mick just understands he is a legend when together with the other lads. And we all love him for this. Bless

I'm with you there all the way, MadMax.
It's not always easy to admit your wrong being, but if ones life consists of never being wrong, you're lost, terribly lost. I remember Mick (in his role as legend) admitting in an interview that in the days he and Keith were bullying Brian, they were behaving childish. It doesn't mean they were not entitled to judge Brian's behaviour, but if they would have been more adult like, there could have been better ways to deal with him.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2020 20:34

Who knows, maybe the Stones best work is still ahead of them?winking smiley

Date: November 7, 2020 20:49

Hairball

LIAGT made me optimistic in this respect.
By the way (I can't stop myself ...): God BLESS America! (You know what I mean winking smiley)

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: November 7, 2020 20:50

If the want to continue it is their choice, if they don't it is their choice. If you don't like it then go your own way. If Covid can be beaten and they are safely on the road I will be there.

Date: November 7, 2020 21:00

georgie48
MadMax
Stoneage

I'm with you there all the way, MadMax.
It's not always easy to admit your wrong being, but if ones life consists of never being wrong, you're lost, terribly lost. I remember Mick (in his role as legend) admitting in an interview that in the days he and Keith were bullying Brian, they were behaving childish. It doesn't mean they were not entitled to judge Brian's behaviour, but if they would have been more adult like, there could have been better ways to deal with him.

Spot on Georgie!! Yeah, I personally have no problem admitting I am wrong, it's what makes us grow as human beings. Life's too short to put down others or patronize them, just listen to what they got to say. I think Mick is a great role model when it comes to these things (and choosing the right chics mind youwinking smiley ) , I'm in the Keith camp (musically and regarding loyalty to the band, if there now IS any "camps" at all, let's pretend it's 1988 hehehe) and I love LIFE but somehow I can identify with Mick as he have no problem to let other people be correct.

There's nothing more of a turn-off to talk to someone who would never admit she/he is wrong.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-07 21:01 by MadMax.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2020 21:55

georgie48
Hairball

LIAGT made me optimistic in this respect.
By the way (I can't stop myself ...): God BLESS America! (You know what I mean winking smiley)

Cheers georgie. thumbs upsmiling smiley

On a side note - if they never play live again for whatever reason, for some reason I'll be quite content. All I can realistically hope for is another new song some day.
While I'd love to see them again , chances of that happening seem slimmer every day (especially in my neck of the woods), but I'm not hanging my head in sadness at the thought of it.
On the contrary, I've got boatloads of amazing memories to get me through the future, and the last run of four US shows I saw in 2019 were quite fun and a nice way to wrap it up.
From '81 to 2019 - clubs, theaters, arenas, and stadiums - aside from one misfire in *Vegas '16 (the abbreviated sick Mick show), all were great one way or another.
All that said, I truly hope they keep on rolling somewhere and some way for as long as they are able and willing - it ain't over until it's over, and I'll always been a fan.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-07 22:07 by Hairball.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2020 22:47

Thank you Mick!!

Mick Jagger:

I’m so looking forward to coming back to an America free of harsh words and name calling and be amongst people who I know have common ground and harmony. It’s a challenge but it can be done!

[twitter.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 7, 2020 23:17

Was going to post this ;-)
Looks like Mick is looking forward to go back to America...hopefully to resume touring...not that it stopped him since 2017 ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 7, 2020 23:44

MisterDDDD
Thank you Mick!!

Mick Jagger:

I’m so looking forward to coming back to an America free of harsh words and name calling and be amongst people who I know have common ground and harmony. It’s a challenge but it can be done!

[twitter.com]

Beauty!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 8, 2020 01:48

Folks on this board can't stay away from politics. It really needs to stop.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 8, 2020 01:58

Chris Fountain
Folks on this board can't stay away from politics. It really needs to stop.

You're the first in recent posts to bring politics into it.
Including Mick.

A nice gesture on his part to be encouraging.
Can't really ignore statements or clips Mick puts out on a RS discussion board imo, but we can try to heed his words and try to focus on where we "have common ground and harmony" ie- The Rolling Stones.

But we shouldn't just bury our heads like his comments or songs don't exist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-08 02:00 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 8, 2020 02:18

Nobody is saying that they have to stop touring. But in life there are times when you turn a page. If they turned the page on touring then people should not get upset and respect their choice.

You can imagine that there would be a lot of soul searching on this board if they did a new-style major tour of 15 to 25 stadium shows and there was some kind of disaster. Whitney Houston tried a comeback tour towards the end and she was all screwed up and she couldn't sing and people were upset and walking out of her shows. She got scathing reviews. I would hate to see something like that happen to our boys. Apparently Steven Tyler has fallen off the stage multiple times. Ten feet down onto a concrete floor would not be good.

If Charlie says no, then so be it. And when you think about it, he is the one that is probably the most prone to having a heart attack. An 81-year-old man doing a two-hour outdoor show on a hot and humid summer day? Come on. Yes, the air conditioning can break down 15 minutes before the start of the show. Imagine the soul searching if he didn't make it through a concert.

There are real issues to contemplate. You know the old cliche of the audience's desire for more and more and pushing the performer over the edge. It's the phenomenon of mob mentality and abandoning individual responsibility and then suffering the consequences. Don't forget that was part of Elvis Presley's demise. He had to tour to keep the whole operation going and to keep paying his posse because he had no real money and without touring the whole thing was going to collapse.

What I am really saying is try to take a look at both sides of the equation.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home