Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 26
Re: The Rolling Stones and their future
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2020 01:47

Minutes seem like hours, hours seem like days
Minutes seem like hours, hours seem like days
It seems like my daddy won't stop his evil ways

Seems like every minute's going to be my last
Seems like every minute's going to be my last
If I can't tell my future I won't tell my past

............................. Ma Rainey - Last Minute Blues 1924

ROCKMAN

Why not pull the plug on touring and bow out gracefully?
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:17

So, perhaps the touring industry won't start up until late 2021. Let's say that puts a potential Rolling Stones tour into 2022?

Really? With Mick 79 years old and Keith 78 years old? Do you want to see one of them have a heart attack on stage? And with more than half the people in the audience over 60?

It just doesn't feel right. Time to turn the page? I think so.

Re: Why not pull the plug on touring and bow out gracefully?
Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:19

Well for stadium shows sure but I'd still love to see the Stones perform at smaller venues maybe televise them.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:25

MileHigh
So, perhaps the touring industry won't start up until late 2021. Let's say that puts a potential Rolling Stones tour into 2022?

Really? With Mick 79 years old and Keith 78 years old? Do you want to see one of them have a heart attack on stage? And with more than half the people in the audience over 60?

It just doesn't feel right. Time to turn the page? I think so.

Where have you seen them? The last 3 shows I attended most of us in the audience were between 18-60.
Mostly young chics and guys in their 20's and 30's, but then I'm always in the pit.
They WILL play until they drop, that's what keeps 'em young. Mick and Keith are ENGLISH and FIRE SIGNS and Charlie is a strong twin, they will keep on keeping on! Mick probably feels like he is 27 and Keith probably feels like 33.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-07 00:25 by MadMax.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:26

Then we can watch them have a heart attack live in a small venue.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:28

I'd prefer to see them play until they drop doing what they love, than "bow out gracefully." When they want to stop, they'll stop.

Date: November 7, 2020 00:40

I think they will bow out gracefully when they are ready and not when others want them to.

Small venuesthumbs up

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:41

They’ll only announce their retirement/disbandment when one of them passes-away, I would imagine.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:46

Why don’t we let them make that decision? They undergo a thorough medical check before each tour for insurance purposes, so a gaudy demise on stage is unlikely. If they want to play, I’m pretty damn happy to be in the audience.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 7, 2020 00:59

In a way the bowed out in 1982 already. So, to me it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't think it will happen like that though. They will not summon the press and bid farewell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-07 01:03 by Stoneage.

Date: November 7, 2020 01:25

Stoneage
In a way the bowed out in 1982 already. So, to me it wouldn't be a big deal. I don't think it will happen like that though. They will not summon the press and bid farewell.

I don't think they have to summon the press. Just stop and do whatever they feel like doing. But just let the whole touring regime stop. It's a giant machine to get rolling and they always hedge their bets and spend a lot of money on the machine. Just look at the plane they have been using, it must cost a fortune. And if things went sour in terms of the gate, they would lose a lot of money.

They haven't put themselves in any of the recent music videos also, which I think is a wise move.

Personally I would not pay $500 to sit half way back in a giant stadium and watch them on a huge video screen. They have done so much, there is such a huge legacy, so I am satisfied.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: November 7, 2020 01:47

It's fun X 50,000...

So far, that's been reason enough for The Stones to decide to continue, and for 49,996 others to be there to support them!

Rock and Roll, my friends...

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 7, 2020 01:49

Maybe Mick will have a heart attack while performing Its Only Rock and Roll on stage. Now that would be ironic.

But seriously I do not wish that on them at all. They make their own decisions for a variety of reasons, most of which we individually do not have anything to do with. For instance, at some point, you start realizing you have minutes left on this plane, and ask yourself what you want to be doing with those remaining minutes. Many would say, well, not what I have been doing up to this point. Others might think the opposite, that they got to get all the adulation or money or whatever motivates them in quick before the end.

Its important to realize they have real individual lives that may or may not be fulfilled by touring around surrounded by parasites and publicity hounds. Or be pressured into continuing for the "family" or some such ridiculous notion, like Jerry Garcia almost certainly felt when he continued on too long without taking proper care of his own health. I do not want to see that from the Stones, and in fact if you ask me, with rare exceptions, I think I would have wanted to throw in the towel, at least for live tours, a long time ago and restricted myself to studio work, producing others I admired's work and maybe doing a few shows here and there with a smaller audience I could connect with better than on some stage in the middle of some stadium. But thats assuming I was financially set and taking care of my friends and family into the future, otherwise its like we all know: got to get up and go to work to put bread on the table and a roof over your head. I don't think any of our boys have that problem presently.

So ultimately I would not blame them one bit for calling it quits, and maybe then do some more recording or really start clearing their vaults for the sake of the fans who have supported them all this time.

jb

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: November 7, 2020 01:57

MileHigh
Stoneage

I don't think they have to summon the press. Just stop and do whatever they feel like doing. But just let the whole touring regime stop. It's a giant machine to get rolling and they always hedge their bets and spend a lot of money on the machine. Just look at the plane they have been using, it must cost a fortune. And if things went sour in terms of the gate, they would lose a lot of money.

They haven't put themselves in any of the recent music videos also, which I think is a wise move.

Personally I would not pay $500 to sit half way back in a giant stadium and watch them on a huge video screen. They have done so much, there is such a huge legacy, so I am satisfied.

Simply, what if this is what they like to do?

Posted by: HonkyTonkJan ()
Date: November 7, 2020 02:01

SomeTorontoGirl
Why don’t we let them make that decision? They undergo a thorough medical check before each tour for insurance purposes, so a gaudy demise on stage is unlikely. If they want to play, I’m pretty damn happy to be in the audience.

Amen to that!! I had a drink with you in Amsterdam, 2017. You made sense then and you make sense now........We both must be optimists!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 7, 2020 02:03

Why not pull the plug? When promotors offer millions to do a single show?

Date: November 7, 2020 02:18

Keef dont wash ... so there aint no plug ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 7, 2020 02:23

Rockman
Keef dont wash ... so there aint no plug ....

Not known to bow either, gracefully or otherwise winking smiley

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 7, 2020 02:35

HonkyTonkJan
... I had a drink with you in Amsterdam, 2017. You made sense then ...

Apologies... I must have been intoxicated. smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2020 03:12

jbwelda
Maybe Mick will have a heart attack while performing Its Only Rock and Roll on stage. Now that would be ironic.

That's not irony. It's not coincidence, either. It's closer to being circumstantial.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 7, 2020 03:15

They'll continue as long as they please, but highly doubt they'll reschedule the postponed US stadium shows.
Hard to say when they'll ever perform live again, but really hope they're able to somewhere.
Too many variables and unknowns to make a guess, and time keeps marching on...

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: November 7, 2020 06:15

Declaring retirement while all live shows are shut down makes no sense from any perspective. It would accomplish NOTHING.

Date: November 7, 2020 06:16

GasLightStreet
jbwelda

That's not irony. It's not coincidence, either. It's closer to being circumstantial.

Look up. The irony is up there.

jb

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 7, 2020 06:38

jbwelda
GasLightStreet
jbwelda

Look up. The irony is up there.

jb
'
Irony would be him having a heart attack while singing Time Is On My Side. Having a heart attack while singing IORR is not ironic.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: November 7, 2020 07:34

Reminiscent of Nik Cohn's 1969 allocution (that Bill used in his book Rolling with the Stones):

If the Rolling Stones had any sense of neatness, they’ll get themselves killed in an aircrash three days before their 30th birthdays.”

Date: November 7, 2020 08:02

Even with him singing about suicide right on the stage? Suicide from overwork hence a heart attack?

Who's driving your plane?

jb

Date: November 7, 2020 08:41

in an aircrash

Morbid subject but it's there
in the lyrics of Flight 505 ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 7, 2020 09:44

One final magical concert at Royal Albert Hall. Filmed in 4K HDR with Dolby Atmos sound.

To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven

A time to build up
A time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven

Pete Seeger would be looking down from up on high in approval.

Date: November 7, 2020 09:50

The greatest rock and roll band in the world!

Date: November 7, 2020 09:59

During the Steel Wheels tour, when just the five of them came out to do their bow, you could feel the enormity of the energy in the stadium because of what they represented to everyone and to our collective culture. It was almost overwhelming.

If that Royal Albert Hall final concert fantasy/dream came true and it was broadcast around the world, I might cry like a baby after the final note and the final bow.

Many of us will be forgotten, but they will live on forever. If only to be a fly on the wall 200 years from now.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1397
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home