Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...334335336337338339340341342343344Next
Current Page: 343 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 26, 2022 18:57

DandelionPowderman
skytrench
bv
Also they recommend anyone still not vaccinated to get vaccinated, as the majority of covid-19 cases in hospitals are now unvaccinated.

I agree with the recommendations for the vulnerable, but it is not true that the majority of covid-19 cases in Norwegian hospitals are now unvaccinated. According to:

[www.fhi.no]

(google translate snippet)
Among 130 new patients admitted to hospitals in Norway with covid-19 as the main cause in week 3, 38 (29%) were unvaccinated, 37 (28%) were vaccinated with two doses and 48 (37%) were vaccinated with three doser.

That's for one week only. And the vaccinated who were admitted to hospital were ancient and vulnerable.

And beyond that, as a percentage of the overall population very few still unvaccinated so they make up a very large share in the hospital when you take that into account. So...get vaccinated.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 26, 2022 19:34

The weekly report from FHI Norway today is quite clear on the fact that unvaccinated people are filling up ICU beds in Norway these days.

In Norway 88% of the adult population is now vaccinated with at least two doses. I.e. 12% only of the adults not vaccinated. The last 4 weeks as many as 50 unvaccinated people went into covid-19 ICU beds (intensive care), while just 23 (16+7) were vaccinated. I.e. 68% of all new ICU patients arriving the last 4 weeks were unvaccinated. Knowing the unvaccinated group is just 12% of the adults, that makes a clear signal about the risk of ending up in ICU if you are not vaccinated. Just do the maths.

This is documented in the new FHI weekly report published today Jan 26, 2022. See link to the pdf report Ukerapport uke 3 (17.01 - 23.01.22). Page 12, table 5, copy below.

Bjornulf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-26 19:39 by bv.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 26, 2022 19:54

Thanks for the more precise definitions, since your original statement did not limit to those in ICU or on ventilators. They are predominantly the unvaccinated, with an average age hovering around 60years old. That should be a good incitement for the vulnerable to get their shots. Is there any information if these patients are suffering from Delta or Omicron?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 26, 2022 19:56

Do not assume COVID pandemic reaching 'end game', warns WHO

COVID19

GENEVA, Jan 24 (Reuters) - The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Monday that it was dangerous to assume the Omicron variant would herald the end of COVID-19's acutest phase, exhorting nations to stay focused to beat the pandemic. "It’s dangerous to assume that Omicron will be the last variant and that we are in the end game," Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a WHO executive board meeting of the two-year pandemic that has killed nearly 6 million people. "On the contrary, globally the conditions are ideal for more variants to emerge."

Though Omicron has sent total cases soaring to nearly 350 million, its less lethal impact and the increasing prevalence of vaccines has led to optimism in some parts that the worst of the pandemic may have passed. Tedros, the WHO's first African head who is running unopposed for a second term, urged discipline and unity in combatting the coronavirus. "The COVID-19 pandemic is now entering its third year and we are at a critical juncture," he told a news conference earlier. "We must work together to bring the acute phase of this pandemic to an end. We cannot let it continue to drag on, lurching between panic and neglect."

Date: January 26, 2022 21:00

skytrench
Thanks for the more precise definitions, since your original statement did not limit to those in ICU or on ventilators. They are predominantly the unvaccinated, with an average age hovering around 60years old. That should be a good incitement for the vulnerable to get their shots. Is there any information if these patients are suffering from Delta or Omicron?

The median age of unvaccinated going into ICU in Norway during the past 4 weeks is 57 years, i.e. half of them are younger than 57 years (actual span pf age 39-68). These are not really old people.

It is sad that people in their 30's and 40's end up in ICU because they do not want to get vaccinated. Health services in Norway are public, all paid for by tax money. We will never have a vaccination mandate in Norway, but still, these facts do make us all think.

They say few people end up in ICU with omicron, that is why the governments do open up now. Omicron is shifting in now.

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 26, 2022 21:05

omicron-deaths-in-u-s-exceed-deltas-peak...

[www.wsj.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-26 21:05 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 26, 2022 22:18

You seem very angry daspyknows, are you not pleased about current trends in the pandemic and the outlook for less restrictions and less deaths? Not sure why you suddenly brought up fentanyl and urine consumption - are those things you have experienced in relation to the pandemic?

Date: January 26, 2022 22:21

Posts about vaccine side effects will be deleted, unless they have a proper link to public and trusted science. The same goes for quotes of such posts. This is to prevent false and/or misleading information.

Bjornulf

Date: January 26, 2022 22:46

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
skytrench
bv
Also they recommend anyone still not vaccinated to get vaccinated, as the majority of covid-19 cases in hospitals are now unvaccinated.

I agree with the recommendations for the vulnerable, but it is not true that the majority of covid-19 cases in Norwegian hospitals are now unvaccinated. According to:

[www.fhi.no]

Among 130 new patients admitted to hospitals in Norway with covid-19 as the main cause in week 3, 38 (29%) were unvaccinated, 37 (28%) were vaccinated with two doses and 48 (37%) were vaccinated with three doser.

That's for one week only. And the vaccinated who were admitted to hospital were ancient and vulnerable.

And beyond that, as a percentage of the overall population very few still unvaccinated so they make up a very large share in the hospital when you take that into account. So...get vaccinated.

Indeed!

Date: January 26, 2022 23:06

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
skytrench
bv

[www.fhi.no]

Indeed!

And though no one 'intends' on getting a side effect, it is a rare risk, so thanks for your contribution to ending the pandemic for everyone, and I hope you get to 100% soon.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: January 27, 2022 02:12

skytrench
You seem very angry daspyknows, are you not pleased about current trends in the pandemic and the outlook for less restrictions and less deaths? Not sure why you suddenly brought up fentanyl and urine consumption - are those things you have experienced in relation to the pandemic?

Just tired of the utter stupidity that spews from people like you on the topic. Nothing more, nothing less. I want this to be over with but not optimistic it will be over because the anti-science crowd suggests drinking piss or consuming horse de-wormer. I would rather they use fentanyl, it works faster. I don't drink piss to cure Covid, I am vaxxed and had it already. I frankly think it. You know why it was brought up. It is as absurd as the other nonsense being spewed by you and your science denying compadres.

Date: January 27, 2022 08:13

Spotify removes Neil Young music in feud over Joe Rogan’s false Covid claims (The Guardian Jan 26, 2022)

Musician condemned spread of misinformation on platform’s top podcast: ‘They can have Rogan or Young’.

The music streaming platform Spotify is in the process of removing Neil Young’s music after the company refused to take down Joe Rogan’s podcast amid the musician’s objections that it spread vaccine misinformation.

Rogan has been described by the New York Times as “one of the most consumed media products on the planet”. His podcast, the Joe Rogan Experience, is Spotify’s most popular. In 2020, Rogan signed a $100m deal that gave the streaming giant exclusive rights to his show.

A few weeks ago, 270 doctors, scientists, healthcare professionals and professors wrote an open letter to Spotify, expressing concern about medical misinformation on Rogan’s podcast.

The letter highlighted a highly controversial episode from last December that features Robert Malone, a virologist who was involved in the mRNA vaccine technology that led to some of the leading Covid-19 vaccines but has since been criticised for spreading vaccine misinformation.

“This is not only a scientific or medical concern; it is a sociological issue of devastating proportions and Spotify is responsible for allowing this activity to thrive on its platform,” the letter read.

Bjornulf

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 27, 2022 09:17

A veterinarian, a dentist and a podcast host? Majority of ‘270 doctors’ who signed letter demanding Spotify take action against Joe Rogan are not medical doctors.

Daily Mail

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: January 27, 2022 09:47

So the guy Rogan was talking to got everyone upset by criticizing the vaccine but he was actually one of the guys who invented the vaccine, is that correct?
Shouldn’t we at least hear his opinion?
This guy seems like a hero to me, helped create a vaccine that probably saved millions of lives and saved many more from listening to Neil Young.

Date: January 27, 2022 09:58

I think he developed or helped develop the mRNA technology. Not the vaccine per se. Still, more qualified on the topic than Neil.

Date: January 27, 2022 10:05

lem motlow
So the guy Rogan was talking to got everyone upset by criticizing the vaccine but he was actually one of the guys who invented the vaccine, is that correct?
Shouldn’t we at least hear his opinion?
This guy seems like a hero to me, helped create a vaccine that probably saved millions of lives and saved many more from listening to Neil Young.

grinning smiley

Date: January 27, 2022 10:24

LOL. Reminded me of this clip where George Harrison dumps on Neil Young (14 minute mark). George has a point. Neil is a pretty atrocious lead guitar player:

Youtube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-27 10:24 by terraplane.

Date: January 27, 2022 11:38

A vaccine scientist’s discredited claims have bolstered a movement of misinformation (Washington Post, Jan 24, 2022)

As Robert Malone stood on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial before thousands of anti-vaccine and anti-mandate demonstrators Sunday, the medical doctor and infectious-disease researcher repeated the falsehoods that have garnered him legions of followers.

Malone, who bills himself as having played a key role in the creation of mRNA vaccines, has emerged as one of the most controversial voices of the movement against coronavirus vaccines and health mandates. His claims and suggestions have been discredited and denounced by medical professionals as not only wrong, but also dangerous. Twitter barred him for violating the platform’s coronavirus misinformation policy, but he has found platforms elsewhere — recently appearing on an episode of Joe Rogan’s wildly popular podcast, which averages 11 million listeners per episode.

That show — along with guest spots on Fox News programming hosted by Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham — has thrust the 62-year-old into the limelight at a crucial time of the pandemic, when unvaccinated patients continue to fill ICU wards.

Critics say Malone’s story highlights the peril of offering an enormous platform to someone who once complained about being “written out of history” and is now finding celebrity.

“There is a huge market for misinformation,” said Jay Van Bavel, an assistant professor of psychology and neural science at New York University who has studied conspiracy theories and misinformation. “The way he’s framed in the conspiracy-theory world is that he’s a courageous whistleblower rather than someone who is spreading misinformation — and it’s only enhancing his profile.”

A former colleague of Malone’s, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly without fear of recrimination, said that while Malone is “a brilliant scientist who has a tremendous amount of experience and knowledge about vaccines,” there is reason to be concerned about how his newfound stardom could be a public health risk.

“I don’t feel what he’s doing and saying is in the right context or necessarily very helpful,” the former co-worker said. “Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there’s a risk we’re all facing when he’s not accurately representing the information.”

Anti-vaccine activists march in D.C. — a city that mandates covid vaccines — to protest mandates

Malone had a following before his “Joe Rogan Experience” interview that was released Dec. 31 — but that show introduced him to an even wider audience. On it, he promoted an unfounded theory called “mass-formation psychosis,” telling Rogan that a “third of the population [is] basically being hypnotized” into believing what the mainstream media and Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert and chief medical adviser to President Biden, report on the vaccines. Malone went on to compare the country’s pandemic policies to Nazi Germany.

Bjornulf

Date: January 27, 2022 11:45

terraplane
I think he developed or helped develop the mRNA technology. Not the vaccine per se. Still, more qualified on the topic than Neil.

Being on the payroll as a scientist doesn't really make a person smarter or more reliable. It is sad to see how politics are polluting so much related to facts these days.

Neil Young is of course free to choose where his works are hosted.

Bjornulf

Date: January 27, 2022 11:54

terraplane
LOL. Reminded me of this clip where George Harrison dumps on Neil Young (14 minute mark). George has a point. Neil is a pretty atrocious lead guitar player:

Youtube

So now you want to run a campaign saying Neil Young is a bad guitarist? Is that the way to treat facts based information in a covid-19 thread?

Bjornulf

Date: January 27, 2022 13:23

No. It was more prompted by a previous comment where someone said we have been saved from listening to Neil's music. I have some of his records. Some of his songs I don't mind. Anyone can listen to Neil's music and make their own assessment on whether they like his guitar playing or not.

Date: January 27, 2022 18:06

daspyknows
But he has the right to choose where his music is played/broadcast for free? Please stop thinking, it is harming you and the world. Some people should not be thinking.

Totally disagree. It's the absence of thinking that's the problem.

They believe they're thinking but they're not applying any rationality or using facts. No critical thinking happening, that's the problem. If they ACTUALLY were thinking we wouldn't have the problem.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: January 27, 2022 18:35

daspyknows
Just tired of the utter stupidity that spews from people like you on the topic. Nothing more, nothing less. I want this to be over with but not optimistic it will be over because the anti-science crowd suggests drinking piss or consuming horse de-wormer. I would rather they use fentanyl, it works faster. I don't drink piss to cure Covid, I am vaxxed and had it already. I frankly think it. You know why it was brought up. It is as absurd as the other nonsense being spewed by you and your science denying compadres.

I thought there was more to the IORR posting policy than just the part about vaccine side effects...

Date: January 27, 2022 19:44

Please do not use Neil Young - or other people or subjects - as an excuse to make political posts here on IORR. This site is mainly about THE ROLLING STONES. Then there are a number of OFF TOPIC threads, where people may discuss music, and other matters, as long as they are non-political.

This thread is about the corona virus. Many try to make it into a pro or con vaccine thread. FORGET IT. I will delete any posts being campaigns, i.e. those who try to make political discussions about conspiracy theories related to vaccine denial, or other political matters.

Facts please, also anything related to where you live, how the pandemic affect life and so on. Thanks!

Bjornulf

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 27, 2022 19:56

My whole family have had COVID, but thanks to the vaxine it was just like a flue. No serious sickness. I feel the feel sorry for the under-educated/sicl/poor places like Africa and United States.
It will take a long time untill once them of places can do what Denmrk just dkd

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 27, 2022 22:50

Erik_Snow
I feel the feel sorry for the under-educated/sicl/poor places like Africa and United States.

Erik, it's crazy here. My sister has to have police protection because people are upset that enforces masks in public places in her city (per state guidelines). You should hear the voicemails she gets, calling her a c*nt and a whore, and hoping she dies.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 28, 2022 12:02

Gee, that's tough, Cindy ! Better get strong hold/strangle hold on them common citizens of yours

Date: January 28, 2022 13:00

Norway have very few anti vaccine activists, but yesterday we had a surrealistic event at one of the Oslo city vaccine centers. A bunch of 10 or so anti vaccine people, at high age, one on them said to be in his 70's, tried to hijack the vaccine doses. The police had to arrest two of them.

I understand that some may say no to vaccine for themselves, but using force to prevent others from vaccination, that is really extreme.

Vaksinemotstandere tok seg inn på vaksinesenter – målet var å stjele vaksiner (NRK)
English: Vaccine opponents entered the vaccine center - the goal was to steal vaccines

Bjornulf

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 29, 2022 00:48

Feels weird putting this in this thread, but apparently it’s not welcome in the Neil Young thread…
[apple.news]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2022 02:38

And this from CBS News:

WHO director praises Neil Young for leaving Spotify over vaccine misinformation

COVID19

Neil Young is getting support for leaving Spotify this week – even the director of the World Health Organization is praising the musician. Young said he wanted his music removed from the music streaming platform this week because of the "false information about vaccines being spread." The 76-year-old rocker apparently doesn't want to share a platform with Joe Rogan, whose podcast, "The Joe Rogan Experience" has an exclusive deal with Spotify and has frequently spread false information about COVID-19. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, director-general of WHO, which advises the United Nations on public health, tweeted about the singer's strong stance against vaccine misinformation. "[Neil Young], thanks for standing up against misinformation and inaccuracies around #COVID19 vaccination," he tweeted Thursday. "Public and private sector, in particular #socialmedia platforms, media, individuals - we all have a role to play to end this pandemic and infodemic."

False information about COVID-19 and vaccines has run rampant online and on social media during the pandemic, with experts blaming vaccine hesitancy on misinformation. The COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends all eligible Americans ages five and up receive the inoculation. About 211,162,083 people in the U.S. are fully vaccinated, according to Johns Hopkins University. After writing in an open letter that Spotify "can have Rogan or Young. Not both," Spotify removed Young's music. Spotify's Instagram is now flooded with comments about the debate over the company's responsibility to remove misinformation published on its platform by podcasters like Rogan. Most Young supporters are simply commenting: "bye, Spotify." And while some said they were cancelling their subscriptions, others praised Spotify for keeping Rogan on.

Spotify reportedly paid Rogan more than $100 million to stream his podcast exclusively on the platform. "I understand it's a business and tons of $$ would be lost but c'mon, Spotify. It's kind of embarrassing," one commenter wrote on a recent Instagram post by Spotify. Rogan has famously questioned COVID-19 vaccines on his show, and when he got COVID-19 last year, said he took ivermectin, an anti-parasite drug that's been heavily promoted on social media despite having no proven benefit against COVID-19. A group of dozens of doctors and health experts wrote a letter to Spotify, calling on the platform to remove Rogan after an episode last month featured Dr. Robert Malone, an infectious disease specialist who has become a hero in the anti-vaccine community and has been banned from Twitter for spreading COVID misinformation. Spotify said in a statement on Thursday that "we have detailed content policies in place and we've removed over 20,000 podcast episodes related to COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic."

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...334335336337338339340341342343344Next
Current Page: 343 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home