Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...133134135136137138139140141142143...LastNext
Current Page: 138 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Date: May 7, 2020 16:01

MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain
MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain
In Texas Judge tried to make a salon admit that she was selfish for opening her hair salon. She said would not because trying to feed her children is not selfish. Crazy Judge sentenced her to jail for 7 days and fined her $7,000. A lot of folks are mad - Selfishness is not a crime -

Video of Judge and Salon owner verbal exchange is included in article.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick defends jailed salon owner: ‘She should be home for Mother’s Day’

[www.foxnews.com]

Selfishness is not a crime.

Defying State orders and ripping up Cease-and-Desist letters from a judge in front of the media, then defying them, most definitely are.
Even then, the judge stated that all she has to do is apologize, and promise to abide by the law, and she would be released.

Maybe I should turn myself in as I broke the rules yesterday by getting a haircut. By the Way - In Massachusetts, if you do not wear a mask a $1000 fine will be levied. Source:- Fox TV News Morning Show

So..was the judge selfish for going to work? I am just wondering.

Not at all as his job has been deemed essential, and it is.

Selfishness is defying the laws and isolation measures, for vanity.
I had a haircut yesterday too. Shaved neck, the whole bit and cheaper.
$35 for a set of clippers online, and I feel "normal" again eye rolling smiley

Every job is essential to the person that needs to make a house payment of feed their kids.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 7, 2020 16:04

jumpontopofmebaby

Why was ok for the judge and everyone else in the courtroom to go to work. Why was it ok to make her show up in a court room?

My wife works as an emergency dispatcher.
My friend works as a police officer.
My cousin works as a firefighter.

Would you prefer if you have a fire or an emergency that the line just rings and rings while your house burns?

You get the need for "essential" workers, yes?
Nurses, doctors, police, judges certainly are.
Barbers, salon workers, waiters, definitely aren't.

Not rocket science.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:07

MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby

Why was ok for the judge and everyone else in the courtroom to go to work. Why was it ok to make her show up in a court room?

My wife works as an emergency dispatcher.
My friend works as a police officer.
My cousin works as a firefighter.

Would you prefer if you have a fire or an emergency that the line just rings and rings while your house burns?

You get the need for "essential" workers, yes?
Nurses, doctors, police, judges certainly are.
Barbers, salon workers, waiters, definitely aren't.

Not rocket science.

Exactly ...it is not rocket science.

She did nothing wrong.

She did nothing more than the guy rounding up shopping carts in the parking lot at wal mart. Or the guy cooking the food at Burger King. Or the person selling plants a Lowes.

It is not rocket science at all

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 7, 2020 16:08

The corona virus pandemic will last until the summer of 2021

Norwegian future researcher professor emeritus Jørgen Randers is having an interesting point in an article printed in one of Norway's largest newspapers Aftenposten today. In short, he is stating this:

Norway will experience a 2nd epidemic wave late fall 2020. The 2nd wave will be smaller, because many worried individuals will increase their private measures. Then, there will be no more waves until the population gains herd immunity through the vaccine program, which will arrive no later than the summer of 2021.

His argument is this:

While political leaders open up markets in order to get the economy going, individuals will protect themselves by making their own stronger measures, like washing hands more, keeping more distance, keeping more away from large groups and so on.

States with weak public measures will experience longer and larger waves, with more deaths, but also more herd immunity. His epidemic immunity model is calculated based on 1,000 immune persons per death in general, while herd immunity will start to kick in when more than 40% of the population are immune.

Hvor lenge vil pandemien og tiltakene vare? (Aftenposten 6 May 2020)
(English: For how long will the pandemic and measures last?)

Bjornulf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 16:13 by bv.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:08

jumpontopofmebaby

Every job is essential to the person that needs to make a house payment of feed their kids.

Which is why trillions of dollars in grants, loans, unemployment ins., et al are being made available, which we all are paying for to help people get through. Along with countless other measures.

No one said slowing/stopping a pandemic would be easy.
The alternative is a lot more death.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 7, 2020 16:12

I think in some cases - social distancing is impossible. The Salon/ Barber business is a good example. But when I got my haircut, Purell was used to clean hands for both my barber and myself.

How are diners ever going to reopen if everyone is required to wear masks? The Restaurant and Pub businesses are screwed. Social Distancing will not provide enough income for these businesses to survive.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:12

MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby

Which is why trillions of dollars in grants, loans, unemployment ins., et al are being made available, which we all are paying for to help people get through. Along with countless other measures.

The unemployment system is broken. There are millions of people that have still not received on dime. And there are some people that own a business that unemployment is not enough to pay their bills. And she is the owner. Not an employee. It would be a loan to her and not forgiven

Date: May 7, 2020 16:14

Chris Fountain
I think in some cases - social distancing is impossible. The Salon/ Barber business is a good example. But when I got my haircut, Purell was used to clean hands for both my barber and myself.

How are diners ever going to reopen if everyone is required to wear masks? The Restaurant and Pub businesses are screwed. Social Distancing will not provide enough income for these businesses to survive.

The social distancing is a great idea...but once you enter a store that all goes away. When you step up to pay. There is not 6 feet anymore. And then you exchange money. So as far at the social distancing stuff. Does not work at a store.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:23

There are hundreds of measures taken now, across the world. Hairdressers, gyms, grocery stores, bus drivers, kindergartens, cleaning tubes and buses, washing hands, all of this done in the world's largest fight to slow down the virus. Then it does not matter if one or a few hairdressers are not making everything right, or one or a few bakeries can or will not do everything right.

It is the beauty of statistics and large numbers. While a few will fail in slowing down the virus, the large majority will be smart and succeed.

The virus will be contained. Most people are smart. Most people understand.

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2020 16:30

jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain

The social distancing is a great idea...but once you enter a store that all goes away. When you step up to pay. There is not 6 feet anymore. And then you exchange money. So as far at the social distancing stuff. Does not work at a store.

For two months now, all our grocery stores have had these one meter lines, lining up people 1m i.e. 3ft apart. Also we have plexiglass between the cash register person and us, also other places in the stores.

Bjornulf

Date: May 7, 2020 16:31

All concerts in Holland cancelled, the North Sea Jazz festival in july 2020 included. This was probably my last chance to see John McLaughin. Just Like the Stones he's almost 80 in 2021. When music loses in society, life really sucks.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:33

bv
jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain

For two months now, all our grocery stores have had these one meter lines, lining up people 1m i.e. 3ft apart. Also we have plexiglass between the cash register person and us, also other places in the stores.

Yes... but what happens when you exchange cash?

Date: May 7, 2020 16:44

jumpontopofmebaby

You don't.
You put on your gloves, or use sanitizer afterwards, and use a card reader.

Looking for ways to discount a system, that by all accounts is a difficult one, is not how we get through this.
Complying with the guidelines, limiting your trips, while the system, and the situation were in improves, is.

Costco now is requiring masks to enter.
They are limiting amount of people in the store and spacing is six feet apart at checkout, even as they ring up your order. You then walk up while the cashier steps back, and swipe or tap your card. Trader Joes in my neighborhood is doing similar. Not risk free, and I definitely limit my trips, but as eating is essential, we all are getting better at lowering the risks.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 7, 2020 16:44

jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain

In most of Europe, cash use is in sharp decline. The vast majority of people pay by debit or credit card. Here in UK for debit card transactions below £45GBP, it isn't even necessary to enter a PIN. You tap your card against an optical card reader. Most people wear gloves for shopping here and many masks too.

Date: May 7, 2020 16:52

grzegorz67
jumpontopofmebaby
bv
jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain

In most of Europe, cash use is in sharp decline. The vast majority of people pay by debit or credit card. Here in UK for debit card transactions below £45GBP, it isn't even necessary to enter a PIN. You tap your card against an optical card reader. Most people wear gloves for shopping here and many masks too.

Well here where I live. There are lines on the floor at 6'-0". Most places have plexiglass in front of the cashier but many do not. If you pay cash then the social distancing goes out the window. For most places.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 7, 2020 16:54

jumpontopofmebaby

Receive cash in your gloved hand, put it in your pocket that you don't normally use and then wash it in warm soapy water when you get home. (Money in the UK is metal, of course but our banknotes are now plastic, so no problem if you're oraganised.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 7, 2020 16:59

EddieByword
jumpontopofmebaby

Receive cash in your gloved hand, put it in your pocket that you don't normally use and then wash it in warm soapy water when you get home. (Money in the UK is metal, of course but our banknotes are now plastic, so no problem if you're oraganised.

But isn't that Money Laundering? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:03

Chris Fountain
EddieByword
jumpontopofmebaby

But isn't that Money Laundering? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sssssssshhhhhh ....grinning smiley

Date: May 7, 2020 17:03

jumpontopofmebaby
Chris Fountain

Order the food online, and get it delivered. Works great here. I haven't been shopping even once, since the pandemic broke loose.

Remember to clean the goods with lots of soap, and to wash your hands.

No need to go to the store, if you're worried about catching the virus or in the high-risk group.

Date: May 7, 2020 17:04

Georgia is the current pissing section in our pool.
More sections set to open soon.

Smartphone data shows out-of-state visitors flocked to Georgia as restaurants and other businesses reopened

"One week after Georgia allowed dine-in restaurants, hair salons and other businesses to reopen, an additional 62,440 visitors arrived there daily, most from surrounding states where such businesses remained shuttered, according to an analysis of smartphone location data.

Researchers at the University of Maryland say the data provides some of the first hard evidence that reopening some state economies ahead of others could potentially worsen and prolong the spread of the novel coronavirus. Any impetus to travel, public health experts say, increases the number of people coming into contact with each other and raises the risk of transmission.

“It's exactly the kind of effects we've been worried about,” said Meagan Fitzpatrick, an assistant professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine."
[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:15

bv
There are hundreds of measures taken now, across the world. Hairdressers, gyms, grocery stores, bus drivers, kindergartens, cleaning tubes and buses, washing hands, all of this done in the world's largest fight to slow down the virus. Then it does not matter if one or a few hairdressers are not making everything right, or one or a few bakeries can or will not do everything right.

It is the beauty of statistics and large numbers. While a few will fail in slowing down the virus, the large majority will be smart and succeed.

The virus will be contained. Most people are smart. Most people understand.

Agreed but the problem is the people who don't understand or aren't super bright have the capability to take down the rest of us. Or have the measures prolonged & do damage that way. I have been asking people I know who are scoffing at the measures "how many preventable deaths are acceptable so that you can go hang out at the bar & get drunk". They usually don't have an answer.

Date: May 7, 2020 17:18

Cash? I have not used cash in a year. I think 98% of our population pay by contact less bank cards. You keep your card within 1-2 cm i.e. an inch or so from the payment machine, then it is sensing the card and you are clear to go. If the amount is more than nok 400 i.e. $40 you have to use your pin code to verify the transaction. If I have to confirm my pin code, I use my little finger to key in the number, or I use my hand in a small transparent plastic bag from the fruit section. If one stupid microscopic virus item land on my little finger then it will be killed by my antibacterial wash five minutes later.

Then I may choose to accept the paper receipt from the cashier. I take it without touching his hands, because I like to check it later, then I keep it in my "dirty" right jacket pocket, where I have my "dirty" card, a coin in use for the shopping cart, when needed, and the plastic bag. Shopping in supermarkets in Norway is very safe. Then when I leave the store, before I touch my car, I wash my hands with antibacterial alcohol, because I want all of my car to be clean. It's just a matter of knowing what hand and what fingers are clean, and what might be theoretically dirty.

People in Norway are very relaxed now. We know there are just 500 or so people with the virus in the entire country. There is a bigger chance of being hit by a bicycle, than getting the virus. Today they announced an R = 0.49, i.e. one person is infecting 0.49 other people, a clear decline in the virus. If we got to the numbers Italy or NYC had some weeks ago, sure we would be even more careful, increasing distance from 1m into 2m i.e. from 3ft into 6ft etc. It is all about risk, probability and convenience. I do understand the risk is higher other places of course.

Bjornulf

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:19

MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby

Where is this money coming from?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:33

MingSubu

Basically, the state (the Central bank) is printing more money.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:42

Stoneage
MingSubu

Is it free money, never to be repaid?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:47

MingSubu
Stoneage
MingSubu

Is it free money, never to be repaid?

Yes, often so. Not always though. Sometimes the state wants shares of companies. And sometimes it's loans (with favorable conditions).

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:48

MisterDDDD
Georgia is the current pissing section in our pool.
More sections set to open soon.

Smartphone data shows out-of-state visitors flocked to Georgia as restaurants and other businesses reopened

"One week after Georgia allowed dine-in restaurants, hair salons and other businesses to reopen, an additional 62,440 visitors arrived there daily, most from surrounding states where such businesses remained shuttered, according to an analysis of smartphone location data.

Researchers at the University of Maryland say the data provides some of the first hard evidence that reopening some state economies ahead of others could potentially worsen and prolong the spread of the novel coronavirus. Any impetus to travel, public health experts say, increases the number of people coming into contact with each other and raises the risk of transmission.

“It's exactly the kind of effects we've been worried about,” said Meagan Fitzpatrick, an assistant professor at the University of Maryland School of Medicine."
[www.washingtonpost.com]

“This is not an unpredictable outcome with businesses opening in one location and people going to seek services there,” said Fitzpatrick, who has reviewed the findings by the university's Maryland Transportation Institute.

I hate double negatives from assistant Professors...lol.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 7, 2020 17:50

Chris Fountain
In Texas Judge tried to make a salon admit that she was selfish for opening her hair salon. She said would not because trying to feed her children is not selfish. Crazy Judge sentenced her to jail for 7 days and fined her $7,000. A lot of folks are mad - Selfishness is not a crime -

Video of Judge and Salon owner verbal exchange is included in article.

Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick defends jailed salon owner: ‘She should be home for Mother’s Day’

[www.foxnews.com]

No, but assault with a deadly weapon is. Not exactly equating the two but they should test her and if she is positive for the virus she is putting others at risk and there should be accountability.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 7, 2020 18:03

jumpontopofmebaby
MisterDDDD
jumpontopofmebaby
It was not selfish. The people that came to see her made their own decisions. She need the money to provide for her family. Same as the judge. That showed up for work. I guess he is selfish also then.

These are generally the same people who holler " all they had to do is listen to the police and not resist!" when an unarmed person is shot by an officer.

The people that attended Covid parties in my state also made their own decisions.
On average they then had contact with twenty-five people afterwards. Twenty five people exposed to the virus, who then have contact with twenty-five people each, who they then had contact with...
And then people who didn't decide to defy laws get sick and die, and as the numbers rise, we all have to start isolation measures from scratch.

Definitely selfish, but also ignorant.

Are you sure they all went to court. The Supreme Court was in session but not open.

Enforcing laws is more essential than getting a hair cut imho.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 7, 2020 18:04

The concept of assault with a deadly weapon is not unprecedented if you think of the convictions given for criminal transmission of HIV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-07 18:05 by Beast.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...133134135136137138139140141142143...LastNext
Current Page: 138 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2100
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home