Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine a Light movie - Champagne and reefer guitar
Posted by: mjol ()
Date: January 14, 2020 03:28

Hi,

I've Just been watching the Shine a Light film, and I just wondered which guitar Keith is playing during Champaign and Reefer? Looks like a Gretch, but can't figure it out exactly...

- mjOL

Re: Shine a Light movie - Champagne and reefer guitar
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 14, 2020 04:22

mjol
Hi,

I've Just been watching the Shine a Light film, and I just wondered which guitar Keith is playing during Champaign and Reefer? Looks like a Gretch, but can't figure it out exactly...

isn't that the one Keith gave to Buddy (on display at Buddy's club)? if so i think (i'm no expert) its a gibson.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: January 14, 2020 04:48

I was Buddy Guy's bar legends 6 years ago. Was in Chicago to curl. I remember it was Jimmy Johnson playing that night (bluesman not football coach).
There is a store of sorts in there and I asked about signed items and the guy told me to wait as he was expecting Buddy to show that night. Sure enough he did and signed a poster for me. Chatted with him and told him how much I enjoyed him in Shine A Light. He got up to play a surprise song with the band and played Champagne and Reefer. I believe for me. Great night.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:05

Crholmstrom... I seem to remember reading about that guitar Keith gave Buddy at the end of Champagne and Reefer and someone apparently went scrambling after Buddy to get it back. Not sure the source, maybe someone else remembers it? Regardless, I’m a huge fan of that song in SAL.

Masseywinos... when I heard that Buddy was opening for the Stones in Milwaukee in 2015, I added that show to my travel plans solely in the hope that they would bring him on stage to play it with them. They did. Worth the trip! thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 14, 2020 05:28

SomeTorontoGirl
Crholmstrom... I seem to remember reading about that guitar Keith gave Buddy at the end of Champagne and Reefer and someone apparently went scrambling after Buddy to get it back. Not sure the source, maybe someone else remembers it? Regardless, I’m a huge fan of that song in SAL.

Masseywinos... when I heard that Buddy was opening for the Stones in Milwaukee in 2015, I added that show to my travel plans solely in the hope that they would bring him on stage to play it with them. They did. Worth the trip! thumbs up

Hey STG I remember reading that, too, perhaps right here?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 14, 2020 13:51

It's much easier to navigate up and down the fretboard prior to weed and drinks ,unless your playing a junky guitar that you don't care about versus your prized Lester's and such ! The guitar in question in the movie I believe was gifted to him by Mr. Buddy Guy .

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 14, 2020 15:31

It looks like a Guild Starfire of some kind.
Edit: It´s this:
[www.letstalkguild.com]

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-14 15:35 by audun-eg.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 14, 2020 16:52

The guitar in question was/is a Guild Starfire.
The color of it is a very dark green.

Many years back Buddy was a Guild endorser.
I still have the Guitar Player Mag from back then
with a Guild advertisment in it that shows Buddy and a green Starfire.
Alas, currently I can't post pics.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 14, 2020 19:21

SomeTorontoGirl
Crholmstrom... I seem to remember reading about that guitar Keith gave Buddy at the end of Champagne and Reefer and someone apparently went scrambling after Buddy to get it back.

Really? That would be super-cheap... grinning smiley

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: January 15, 2020 16:48

dcba
SomeTorontoGirl
Crholmstrom... I seem to remember reading about that guitar Keith gave Buddy at the end of Champagne and Reefer and someone apparently went scrambling after Buddy to get it back.

exactly...I hope that's not true, b/c it's super-lame if it is.

giving another guitarist YOUR guitar is the ultimate sign of respect.

...."scrambling to get it back" (as soon as the cameras are off, to boot) is weak.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 15, 2020 19:39

stickyfingers101
dcba
SomeTorontoGirl

exactly...I hope that's not true, b/c it's super-lame if it is.

giving another guitarist YOUR guitar is the ultimate sign of respect.

...."scrambling to get it back" (as soon as the cameras are off, to boot) is weak.

Found it...

Keith guitar's to Buddy Guy in Shine a Light
Posted by: bax ()
Date: November 1, 2010 03:40

I read in a local newspaper a nice interview to Buddy Guy.

He was speaking about his last album at 74 years old and so on...

Then he was asked about the guitar Keith gave him after Champagne and Reefer in SAL...
And he answered that unfortunately Keith take the guitar right back after the show in the backstage...

A bit disappointing to see that Keith did that just for the show, in front of the video...but...

[iorr.org]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 15, 2020 19:51

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-07-16 23:05 by dcba.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1685
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home