Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Video of London street scenes 1967
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 4, 2020 18:30

A trip back in time. This should take a few folks here back to the days of discovery and possibly having visited some of the places shown in the video. I wonder how many of the shops, pubs, etc., are still around. There's a shot of one place that uses "Lady Jane" as part of its name. I would guess this is a reference to the song. Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Video of London street scenes 1967
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 4, 2020 22:10

England’s lost.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: January 4, 2020 22:57

My first ever visit to Britain was in the summer of 1967. One week of a total of three I was in London. The video brings back lots of memories. What I miss in this video are the men in dark suits, umbrellas and bowler hats and the "hippy children" in long colourful dresses and flowers and colourful decorative chains. Yes, many mini skirts, some even shorter than the ones I saw on this video. It was a great mix of old and new, a happy place. So different only two years later.
I also remember that I had my moments of anger caused by the jailing of some members of the The Rolling Stones only weeks earlier. But they were free by the time I got there.
Time flies ...cool smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 5, 2020 00:19

All the shops I couldn't afford. sad smiley This is a fascinating visual document, but a bit selective, given that even in 1967 London wasn't this white.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 5, 2020 12:30

Amazing, really amazing. Appearantly the Apple corner building painting was still a work in progress. All the slim bodies must have been a result of fewer temptations. No-one wearing hoodies, black T-shirts or sneakers. People want it too easy nowadays.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-05 12:41 by noughties.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: January 5, 2020 13:17

I though it was a clip from an Austin Powers movie.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 5, 2020 20:41

The provinces were nothing like this!
By the way, I think you would probably get arrested for taking footage like this these days.
Unless I missed it, no one smoking wackybacky. Amazing.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 5, 2020 21:58

noughties
Appearantly the Apple corner building painting was still a work in progress.

Ah! A mistake I initially made when I watched it. I thought that the short lived Beatles thing would be a chance to date the film.

It's not the Apple shop. That was in Baker Street and if you look carefully at the street signs, it's the corner of Carnaby Street and Ganton Street.

This [goo.gl] is what it looks like on Street View.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: nick ()
Date: January 6, 2020 08:56

Chris Fountain
I though it was a clip from an Austin Powers movie.

I was waiting for Benny Hill's "Tex Cymbal" character to come strutting down the street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-06 08:57 by nick.

Posted by: caschimann ()
Date: January 6, 2020 10:58

Takes me back to my childhood.
I was 6 then.
Fascinating what color can do in opposite to b/w.
With b/w there is always some kind of emotional fence between my present now and the era/time/event shown.
But watching gone times like this in color its so much more intense. Like a Time Tunnel (great TV Serie by the way)throwing you back to that 1967's days.
A kind of awakeness.
And: The clip shows how much colorful it was on the streets in that time. Much more then today.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 6, 2020 22:20

I noticed a few things.....no overweight people! Everyone DRESSED UP nicely, no ripped clothing, sloppy sweat clothing. Folks paid attention to what they wore. The style was chic, the hairstyles were easy to wear, long but neat! Women wore pantyhose, no bare legs that we have today! I prefer that look to the way people dress today.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: January 6, 2020 23:28

its amazing looking at old photos, just to see the subtle changes from the past to now, i agree on the clothes, when watching old movies it becomes apparent both men and women dresses very classy, now a lot of women wear joggies, a lot of guys wear hoodies and joggies, i was born in the 60,s but if i could travel in a time machine and make myself younger i would grow up in early 60,s london, it must have been an interesting and exciting time to be alive.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 6, 2020 23:54

buttons67
its amazing looking at old photos, just to see the subtle changes from the past to now, i agree on the clothes, when watching old movies it becomes apparent both men and women dresses very classy, now a lot of women wear joggies, a lot of guys wear hoodies and joggies, i was born in the 60,s but if i could travel in a time machine and make myself younger i would grow up in early 60,s london, it must have been an interesting and exciting time to be alive.

To get a flavour of early 60s London, you could watch:

- The Trials of Christine Keeler (BBC1 , 6 episodes, available on Catch up).

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 7, 2020 00:23

noughties
Amazing, really amazing. Appearantly the Apple corner building painting was still a work in progress. All the slim bodies must have been a result of fewer temptations. No-one wearing hoodies, black T-shirts or sneakers. People want it too easy nowadays.

To the point.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: January 7, 2020 11:04

windmelody
noughties

To the point.

It wasn't Apple. See my earlier posting.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1527
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home