Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger / Jeff Beck
Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 8, 2019 08:33

"Let's Work" as a lead single was an unfortunate decision. This would have been a much stronger opening salvo for PRIMITIVE COOL:

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Jagger / Jeff Beck
Posted by: ab ()
Date: December 8, 2019 11:47

They're both steaming piles. Let's Work just stinks worse.

Please don't blame Geoffrey Arnold for Let's Work. He was just a session player on that one. Blame Dave Stewart: he co-wrote and co-produced it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 11:55 by ab.

Date: December 8, 2019 15:50

Seemingly Jagger had an appetite for Beck on guitar back in the days. I wonder how much Jagger payed Jeff Beck to let him do this "another bloody day at the office job". Splendid guitarist, uninspired music according to Jeff Beck-standards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 15:52 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 8, 2019 16:57

I like the song, but the solo is straight out of Neil Schon's "Don't Stop Believing." The video nicely captured what a Beck tour could have been like. You get the feeling Mick had always wanted to yell "work for the money" at the Stones during a guitar break.

Mick was not a gentleman during the shoot to both Denise Crosby (the actress in the video) or to Jeff Beck's girlfriend. The latter caused a bit of friction apparently, though Jeff seemed to get over it by the Hall of Fame induction ceremony a few months later when he played a terrific "Satisfaction" behind Mick. Denise Crosby's experience was later immortalized by her father-in-law at the time in a film he made with a bit with an obnoxious womanizing English rock star. The video has Terry Bozzio on drums as Simon Phillips wasn't available on short notice. It was the beginning of Beck's collaboration with Bozzio.

As for Beck's price, he wasn't cheap. During SHE'S THE BOSS, Beck's manager provided Eddie Martinez as the lower rate package deal. Eddie did all of Jeff's quick touch-ups for the album because you don't pay Jeff's rate to fix a few seconds here or there. For PRIMITIVE COOL, Mick used Jim Barber (who played lead guitar on "Too Much Blood"), a then-unknown Vernon Reid, and Jimmy Rip. Jimmy told me all three of them spent a couple weeks at Right Track doing all of the touch-ups for Beck lasting just a few seconds. Mick first met Jimmy when he played guitar at The Peppermint Lounge for Bette Midler's "Beast of Burden" video, Jimmy would go on to tour with Mick, and serve as Mick's Keith stand-in for WANDERING SPIRIT. Jimmy also played on some of the STEEL WHEELS demos with Ronnie and Charlie and Doug Wimbish.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: December 8, 2019 17:38

Mick likes the hotdog guitarists. Always has.

I love Beck’s playing on “Throwaway.” And “Lonely at the Top.” They are songs within songs. To his credit, I think Mick values that kind of compositional approach to guitar solos. Seems he often encourages Ronnie to think like that; on “Don’t Stop,” for instance — Ronnie’s part is the best thing about the entire song.

For whatever reason, Ronnie isn’t really able to replicate those moments onstage. But in the studio, his discipline is perhaps underrated. Think of all the hummable melody lines he plays on the title track of “Some Girls”: they’re all over the place, and the actual step-out licks he plays (following “I never asked them for”) ain’t too shabby, either.

“Rock and a Hard Place,” “I Go Wild”: the b-bender parts meet the song-within-song standard. “Out of Tears,” “Blinded by Rainbows” are great moments too.

Date: December 8, 2019 18:21

Rocky Dijon
I like the song, but the solo is straight out of Neil Schon's "Don't Stop Believing." The video nicely captured what a Beck tour could have been like. You get the feeling Mick had always wanted to yell "work for the money" at the Stones during a guitar break.

Mick was not a gentleman during the shoot to both Denise Crosby (the actress in the video) or to Jeff Beck's girlfriend. The latter caused a bit of friction apparently, though Jeff seemed to get over it by the Hall of Fame induction ceremony a few months later when he played a terrific "Satisfaction" behind Mick. Denise Crosby's experience was later immortalized by her father-in-law at the time in a film he made with a bit with an obnoxious womanizing English rock star. The video has Terry Bozzio on drums as Simon Phillips wasn't available on short notice. It was the beginning of Beck's collaboration with Bozzio.

As for Beck's price, he wasn't cheap. During SHE'S THE BOSS, Beck's manager provided Eddie Martinez as the lower rate package deal. Eddie did all of Jeff's quick touch-ups for the album because you don't pay Jeff's rate to fix a few seconds here or there. For PRIMITIVE COOL, Mick used Jim Barber (who played lead guitar on "Too Much Blood"), a then-unknown Vernon Reid, and Jimmy Rip. Jimmy told me all three of them spent a couple weeks at Right Track doing all of the touch-ups for Beck lasting just a few seconds. Mick first met Jimmy when he played guitar at The Peppermint Lounge for Bette Midler's "Beast of Burden" video, Jimmy would go on to tour with Mick, and serve as Mick's Keith stand-in for WANDERING SPIRIT. Jimmy also played on some of the STEEL WHEELS demos with Ronnie and Charlie and Doug Wimbish.

thumbs up

Thanks for this interesting post. I have seen Beck with Bozzio and Tony Hymas.
A three men army.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 18:35 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: December 8, 2019 18:34

<Ronnie isn’t really able to replicate those moments onstage>

On an otherwise lame Crazy Mama in 1997, the only highlight was Ronnie playing the guitar theme in the ending. Same with Some Girls on the No Security San Jose-release.

There are many such examples. In the early/mid 2000s, though, Ronnie was often too drunk to do that job (re Don't Stop).

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 8, 2019 18:39

TheflyingDutchman
Seemingly Jagger had an appetite for Beck on guitar back in the days.

Imho Jagger didn't fail to notice Beck (along with Rod Stewart) managed to score a hit in the American charts with a cover of "PPl Get Ready" in 1985.

To Jagger Beck was perfect : a guy who has deep roots and who can also give songs a contemporary (= successful) sound.
[www.youtube.com]

Well it didn't work that well. [@mtaylor : I mean commercially speaking]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 19:16 by dcba.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: December 8, 2019 18:54

Foxy Lady worked well

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 8, 2019 19:25

DandelionPowderman

On an otherwise lame Crazy Mama in 1997, the only highlight was Ronnie playing the guitar theme in the ending. Same with Some Girls on the No Security San Jose-release.

There are many such examples. In the early/mid 2000s, though, Ronnie was often too drunk to do that job (re Don't Stop).

I confess I never really heard the countermelody that Ronnie created on “Respectable” until the “No Security” version came out.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2019 20:03

That was intolerable both visually and musically...a sad chapter in the history of Mick Jagger and the Stones.
That repeating guitar lick throughout was quite nice though - a shame it was wasted on such a bad tune.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 20:14 by Hairball.

Date: December 8, 2019 20:04

dcba
Imho Jagger didn't fail to notice Beck (along with Rod Stewart) managed to score a hit in the American charts with a cover of "PPl Get Ready" in 1985.

To Jagger Beck was perfect : a guy who has deep roots and who can also give songs a contemporary (= successful) sound.
[www.youtube.com]

I've wondered about that one as well. Jeff Beck's album FLASH with "People Get Ready" was released about six months after SHE'S THE BOSS, but Jeff played on Rod's CAMOUFLAGE in 1984. I'm not certain if "People Get Ready" was from the same sessions as "Infatuation" and the other two tracks Jeff played on with Rod. Beck cut his tracks with Jagger spring and summer 1984. Rod's sessions with Jeff were late winter and spring 1984. It's not really critical either way, but it's something that's piqued my curiosity where Mick's reasoning was concerned.

Beck had already cut "Private Dancer" with Tina Turner which came out in the spring of 1984. Regardless, Mick was definitely aware that Beck (like Tina) was enjoying a resurgence and since he'd always like him and his playing, it gave added weight to go with him for the album.

I was always surprised Carlos Alomar doesn't play on the album since he has two songwriting credits (Carlos has said he wrote the entire album with Mick, but only received credit for two songs). Carlos also played on demos with Mick in both Paris and the Bahamas in 1983 and early 1984. It's a pity none of the outtakes ever surfaced. I'd like to hear what they sounded like with Carlos backed by The Compass Point All Stars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-08 20:06 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 8, 2019 20:05

MelBelli
I confess I never really heard the countermelody that Ronnie created on “Respectable” until the “No Security” version came out.eye rolling smiley

You mean when Ronnie starts playing "Like a Rolling Stone" during "Respectable?" I've always found that odd as well.

Date: December 8, 2019 21:11

Rocky Dijon
MelBelli

You mean when Ronnie starts playing "Like a Rolling Stone" during "Respectable?" I've always found that odd as well.

No, not that part. (I think I know what you mean.)

It’s the riff that begins at :25 here:
[youtu.be]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home