Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Jagger: "Say You Will"
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 13, 2019 00:28

…. still reckon Keef should do
a reggae cover of Lets Work with Sly & Robbie ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 13, 2019 00:29

No Mr Powderman i don,t say that.Whatever Jagger comes up with,Keith,s hangarounds find something terrible wrong about it.Same procedure every year,all the time.What,s next? Wandering Spirit,im pretty sure you find something terrible bad about that album alsow

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 13, 2019 00:34

Say you won't... make me listen to this song again... ha....ha...ha............ha....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 00:34 by ryanpow.

Date: December 13, 2019 00:38

harlem shuffle
No Mr Powderman i don,t say that.Whatever Jagger comes up with,Keith,s hangarounds find something terrible wrong about it.Same procedure every year,all the time.What,s next? Wandering Spirit,im pretty sure you find something terrible bad about that album alsow

Wrong. You said that one must be a Keith fan only, and not a fan of the Stones, to find Party Doll a bad song.

That's not correct, of course, as you have demonstrated yourself. We all have somewhat different tastes when it comes to our favourite band.

For what it's worth, I've always liked both Party Doll and Say You Will myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 00:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 13, 2019 00:55

Doxa
To add a bit to the story I mentioned above.

We, each of us, all are ultimate judges of music - it is what our mind says, which makes the difference between the good, the bad, and the ugly. We know the arsehole analogy here.

But there is a more pragmatic realm out there also. I have a group of music lovers who occasionally meet, drink and listen music (and, of course talk about it a lot) together. I happen to be the only real Rolling Stones hardcore fan there (everybody likes them, but not anywhere near to the extent I do). To me those people, digging music in any kinds of form (mostly rock music) constitute a very interesting and educational case and chance of reflecting how people - who know the story of rock and pop and who are above the usual categorizing - might view the Stones outside the Stones hardcore fan circles. (It is also people like them - 'casual fans' - who fill up the stadiums.)

My experience of playing them some non-classical Stones stuff has been, roughly: try anything from albums like VOODOO LOUNGE and A BIGGER BANG, the reaction is: 'yeah, that's Stones for sure. But hey, couldn't we listen HOT ROCKS or STICKY FINGERS if we need to listen that'. But then if I put something totally different, a track like "Say You Will", the reaction is: 'Oh shit, what's that? Has he really done something like that too?'. Usually the reaction is firstly amused, but after the first shock is gone, it tends to go 'that's actually quite good'. That makes me smile.

I think over-all, when all is said and done, and especially if the 'purist' side of Stones hardcore fans die or grow up, people will have a more relaxed attitude towards the musical adventures of the Rolling Stones. That day people will see also Jagger's so called 'solo career' in a bigger picture, as one musical journey in his long and fascinating career and of the Stones. Those contextually determinated intuitions that once dumped much of it do not revail - or mean anything - any longer.

I spent my formative years as a teenager during the 80's. It is soon the 2020's, and I am not a teenager any longer. But I cannot help feel that for many hardcore Stones fans the 80's never ended. We are still in the same premises, same intuitions, same categories, same arguments as then. For sure it was a helluva, odd decade for pop music, but it seemed fatal for the Stones and to their fans. Like we never survived it mentally. Was it a wordless agreement that we all - the band, the fans - refuse to grow up or re-think our concepts?

- Doxa

It was the decade they went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows and then (part way) back again...the decade they lost their muse.

It was probably over when they resorted to compiling from the previous decade (the albeit great) Tattoo You. They attempted one final gasp at greatness and charting new territory with the wonderful Undercover, only to throw in the towel with Dirty Work and then move to a 'stones formula' approach to creating albums with Steel Wheels and beyond.

The last great decade, and worst decade for the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 13, 2019 08:32

harlem shuffle

If you insist...Think is terrible. Mother Of A Man too.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 10:13

z
harlem shuffle

If you insist...Think is terrible. Mother Of A Man too.

Yup. It’s easy to understand why Wandering Spirit is often hailed as the best solo release of any Rolling Stone – he should’ve entitled it ‘Acting Stonesy’ - but it’s really a fantastically mediocre record. I listen to ‘Evening Gown’ once in a while and the rest I’ve put in the trash.

She’s The Boss contains stronger songwriting but we never play her because we’re hard Stones fans to please and that’s our way of letting Mick know. But while we're too far gone to appreciate this gem I'm convinced there are others who can. This Christmas let’s all buy She’s The Boss or even Primitive Cool and give it to someone special.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 13, 2019 13:15

harlem shuffle
Some strange opinions here,people saying Party Doll is a bad song.
You have to be a Keithfan to say something like that.But it,s not so strange reading this on these sites.Many here just dont like Mick Jagger for some reasons.These peoples are not Stonesfans,just Keithfans.Personally i don,t like Much out of Mick,s and Keith,s soloworks,just some of it.Wandering Spirit is a very good album,almost a classic,rest of soloalbums of Mick and Keith is easy forgettable.Almost never play any of these albums anymore

I vomit when I hear that flute on Party Doll. Or whatever that sound is. Bagpipes for all it matters.

Mathijs

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 13, 2019 13:20

Mother of a man terrible?Not agree to that.Think not so good.Anyway best soloalbum by any Stonesmember is Wandering Spirit.But you see,if Jagger does a Stonessounding album,it,s bad.If he tries something else,alsow bad,Even without some people listen to it at all.Especially Keiths people here.I personally don,t like the she,the boss,Primitive cool and Goodess in the doorway.Some good songs on them,but not so interrested.Two first albums of Keith,not good at all,last one is better of course,but no classic at all.All of these albums almost newer played.Same with the tree or four last Stonesalbums.Not at all so good AS expected

Date: December 13, 2019 13:46

Mathijs
harlem shuffle
You have to be a Keithfan to say something like that.But it,s not so strange reading this on these sites.Many here just dont like Mick Jagger for some reasons.These peoples are not Stonesfans,just Keithfans.Personally i don,t like Much out of Mick,s and Keith,s soloworks,just some of it.Wandering Spirit is a very good album,almost a classic,rest of soloalbums of Mick and Keith is easy forgettable.Almost never play any of these albums anymore

I vomit when I hear that flute on Party Doll. Or whatever that sound is. Bagpipes for all it matters.

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Date: December 13, 2019 14:00

z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

Date: December 13, 2019 16:33

DandelionPowderman
z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

I think it might be both: whistle and fiddle. Those first lines "Yew yewsed ta be.."LOL

Date: December 13, 2019 17:04

Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

I think it might be both: whistle and fiddle. Those first lines "Yew yewsed ta be.."LOL

What's wrong with you all? It's a harmonica. There's fiddle in there too, but those lead lines are harmonica. Harp. grinning smiley

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: December 13, 2019 17:18

Swayed1967

Yup. It’s easy to understand why Wandering Spirit is often hailed as the best solo release of any Rolling Stone – he should’ve entitled it ‘Acting Stonesy’ - but it’s really a fantastically mediocre record. I listen to ‘Evening Gown’ once in a while and the rest I’ve put in the trash.

She’s The Boss contains stronger songwriting but we never play her because we’re hard Stones fans to please and that’s our way of letting Mick know. But while we're too far gone to appreciate this gem I'm convinced there are others who can. This Christmas let’s all buy She’s The Boss or even Primitive Cool and give it to someone special.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: December 13, 2019 17:36

z
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

What's wrong with you all? It's a harmonica. There's fiddle in there too, but those lead lines are harmonica. Harp. grinning smiley

Paddy Moloney plays the whistle and Uillean pipes. I don't think Mick's harp was the instrument that made Mathijs puke winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-13 18:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 13, 2019 17:55

harlem shuffle

To have such a dim idea of what constitutes a fan of someone is revealing.

Not that you're trying.

For example, the fact that you think someone is a Keith fan because Party Doll is a shit song - and then saying they're not a Stones fan, just a person of the band fan, yet... you don't listen to their solo works and that it's all forgettable and you never play them anymore.

Brilliant rubbish by someone that loves DIRTY WORK and only sees less than one inch in front of their cartoon face.

Date: December 13, 2019 17:57

DandelionPowderman
z
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

Paddy Molesey plays the whistle and Uillean pipes. I don't think Mick's harp was the instrument that made Mathijs puke winking smiley

Duh - it's Matt Clifford playing harmonica through a snyth... to sound like fingernail on chalkboard bagflutes.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: December 13, 2019 18:00

GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle

Not that you're trying.

For example, the fact that you think someone is a Keith fan because Party Doll is a shit song - and then saying they're not a Stones fan, just a person of the band fan, yet... you don't listen to their solo works and that it's all forgettable and you never play them anymore.

Brilliant rubbish by someone that loves DIRTY WORK and only sees less than one inch in front of their cartoon face.
I've seen harlem shuffle make a similar point in other threads...he seems to mistakenly think that hardcore Keith fans hates Mick with a passion for some reason.

Date: December 13, 2019 18:21

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
z
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

Paddy Molesey plays the whistle and Uillean pipes. I don't think Mick's harp was the instrument that made Mathijs puke winking smiley

Duh - it's Matt Clifford playing harmonica through a snyth... to sound like fingernail on chalkboard bagflutes.

Through a snyth? Nah, that's the live version winking smiley

Date: December 13, 2019 18:46

DandelionPowderman
z
Palace Revolution 2000
DandelionPowderman
z
Mathijs
harlem shuffle

Mathijs

The harmonica..?

Penny whistle?

Paddy Moloney plays the whistle and Uillean pipes. I don't think Mick's harp was the instrument that made Mathijs puke winking smiley

Oh OK, sorry.....you know his vomiting habits better than me...winking smiley

Date: December 13, 2019 19:01

keefriff99
GasLightStreet
harlem shuffle

Not that you're trying.

I've seen harlem shuffle make a similar point in other threads...he seems to mistakenly think that hardcore Keith fans hates Mick with a passion for some reason.

That's a huge part of it - he constantly mistakenly thinks. The arrogant ignorance isn't even funny like some other DIRTY WORK sniffing broken string.

Date: December 23, 2019 16:26

re: The Whistle on Party Doll, I think it's one of the redeeming elements of the song. Kind of echoing some earlier comments about Mick's Solo Stuff, it has parts of what make up a good song but overall it doesn't completely add up. That being said, I've always had a soft spot for Party Doll.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 20:27 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 23, 2019 17:35

IMO. Say You will is a great,romanticsong.Betterthan Something or No Expectations.Would have liked to have heard Pavarotti cover it.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: December 23, 2019 17:44

Primitive Cool is one of my favorite albums.

Date: December 23, 2019 20:10

Taylor1
IMO. Say You will is a great,romanticsong.Betterthan Something or No Expectations.Would have liked to have heard Pavarotti cover it.

Wow, there's a lot to unpack here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-12-23 20:28 by ryanpow.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:35

harlem shuffle

harlem shuffle...

Date: December 24, 2019 04:38

harlem shuffle
Mother of a man terrible?Not agree to that.Think not so good.Anyway best soloalbum by any Stonesmember is Wandering Spirit.But you see,if Jagger does a Stonessounding album,it,s bad.If he tries something else,alsow bad,Even without some people listen to it at all.Especially Keiths people here.I personally don,t like the she,the boss,Primitive cool and Goodess in the doorway.Some good songs on them,but not so interrested.Two first albums of Keith,not good at all,last one is better of course,but no classic at all.All of these albums almost newer played.Same with the tree or four last Stonesalbums.Not at all so good AS expected

Ol' harlemshuffle - give him 25 cents, he can only find 13: has no idea what he's on about.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:41

harlem shuffle

Dande, the drip for a drought is talking about something I said, which is that the cheesy horribnle Party Doll indeed does suck - yet that makes me not a Stones fan and automatically a Keith hangarounder, even though this highness doesn't like Mick's other solo albums, even though there's a constant rash about the very thing he's saying to begin with.

Being a true fan involves being critical and not liking EVERYTHING as if it made every woman a mother.

CLEARLY harlem shuffled is not a true fan. More of someone fishing without anything on the hook.

Date: December 24, 2019 04:43

harlem shuffle
Mother of a man terrible?Not agree to that.Think not so good.

Atrocious semantics. No surprise there, shuffles.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: December 24, 2019 04:43

Hm

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home